Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

Really? Because you haven't won conclusively and destroyed all of your foes in THREE MONTHS it's forever pointless? Reminder that being involved in your local party is how you alter the makeup of the DNC, it's not some nebulous body of party insiders who sit around smoking cigars made of money (or, rather, if it is, it's because that's who's been involved in local party politics up until now). They're elected up through the levels of party committees, and dropping out of involvement with the local ones is exactly 100% how you ensure that what you predict is correct.

That's a feature, not a bug. If you sit on the sidelines and never get involved, the party not reflecting 100% of what you think is now an excuse for your continued non action.

If you all are really this distraught over it, go work with your local party and get yourself in. Congrats, you now have an ability to affect change. If you aren't willing to do that then shut the gently caress up about how the party betrayed you and Ellison as vice chair instead of chair is going to usher in a thousand years of darkness. It makes you look like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Condiv posted:

yes he was. why was he giving banks legal blowjobs instead of holding them to account for their crimes if he wasn't a sockpuppet back then.

how dare the civil rights division focus on police brutality and voter suppression, why that makes me so mad!!!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

JeffersonClay posted:

Thankfully the people threatening to give up and never support the democrats again because they didn't get what they wanted don't have a presidential election to gently caress up in four months this time.

They are just at a loss currently without a thread devoted to their WW3 and clinton foundation conspiracies or their belief that it was actually a typo all along and 6.5 not 65 million people voted for the sinking ship Democratic Party

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Calibanibal posted:

Do kids like sucking wall street dick and bending over for fascists? Im sure they do, so perez will be a huge hit with the younger crowd

The Democrats have literally no qualified people to run in 2020 against Trump at the moment, other than HRC. What a coincidence~

rscott posted:

How was Keith Ellison gonna do it and how is that different from what Perez is going for do?

Because this entire DNC chair run was a pretty good litmus test on how entrenched the Democrats are in their failed ideology.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mars4523 posted:

Shh. You might have missed the memo that Perez is now a neoliberal shill for the corporatists because Bernie didn't endorse him.

the fact that the only reason he was put up for election was big-money donors being worried Ellison was going to win doesn't help his cause on that one, tbh.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

axeil posted:

That's a feature, not a bug. If you sit on the sidelines and never get involved, the party not reflecting 100% of what you think is now an excuse for your continued non action.

Yeah, ultimately anyone who would storm out because of this thing of all things is just looking for an excuse. Maybe if it'd gone differently they'd have stopped looking for one, and I think it'd have been worth a try, but who knows.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mars4523 posted:

Shh. You might have missed the memo that Perez is now a neoliberal shill for the corporatists because Bernie didn't endorse him.

Perez endorsed Hillary in the primaries. Warren at least kept her mouth shut.

You guys are sure doing a good job winning over the progressive wing of the party, btw

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

how dare the civil rights division focus on police brutality and voter suppression, why that makes me so mad!!!

cept he was on a case where they gave slap on the wrist fines to banks that foreclosed on active duty service members? some service members even killed themselves. but that's not really important to punish as a member of the DoJ.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Because this entire DNC chair run was a pretty good litmus test on how entrenched the Democrats are in their failed ideology.

Is there a super rolleyes emote where a giant rolleyes smilies vomits out a million more smaller rolleyes smilies

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Or more accurately "how dare someone let their bosses do something instead of self immolating for no real change".

It's so loving telling that's what people are grasping to...Because only someone who has never been in a position with something to lose would suggest a bargain that idiotic. Torch your career for objecting to something that you have no ability to change and/or so you can slap people with misdemeanor charges that probably won't be followed through on. Wow. What a great thing to sacrifice yourself for.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Condiv posted:

no, because waging a civil war is probably going to take longer than till 2018. and by 2018 we'll be written out of existence by republicans.

You still haven't justified why you think that ceasing any attempt to change the party through local action is the moral option. Also, please let me know where you're planning the first military action of the new Civil War, I assume you're organizing it?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe you guys will do a better job with rustbelt voters you must absolutely win over in 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

The Democrats have literally no qualified people to run in 2020 against Trump at the moment, other than HRC. What a coincidence~

Yeah and a Trump presidency was seen as a impossibility 4 years ago, what's your point

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I'm not super happy about Perez, but there isn't a single reason that comes from Perez himself. It's more that I don't like that the DNC couldn't even throw a bone to the Sanderista wing of the party and support unity. We need to be honest about this part: Perez is the one who chose Ellison the way he did, and from all the dinner meeting stuff, it sounds like it's something two old friends worked out so that they could stay the course both of them want to take. It's probably not something the old guard told Perez to do.

That being said, keep a close eye on what Perez does and publicly support things he does that you like, because if you box him in with what you see as the center-right old guard puppetmaster illuminati, he will have no choice but to become that. If you think he's a good candidate with bad support, then become the better support so he can become the good chairman he could be.

If you believe Perez is a corporate clintonista cuck or w/e then there's not much that can be said to you, because you don't subscribe to reality.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

rscott posted:

How was Keith Ellison gonna do it and how is that different from what Perez is going for do?

that's not the POINT you IDIOT

Since the two of them are so similar then why not just give the chair to Keith and piss nobody off, instead of giving it to Perez and pissing off an important part of the base? Why couldn't they even do that much? Because they're idiot losers and they suck, that's why. Have fun voting for HRC in 2020 again or whoever the gently caress

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yeah and a Trump presidency was seen as a impossibility 4 years ago, what's your point

Don’t run the same campaign you did back in 2016 or do what the DNC did during the Obama years jesus christ the Democrats are hopeless

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I too remeber front runner 2004 presidential candidate Al Gore. Man his second run really did suck.

Oh wait.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Quorum posted:

You still haven't justified why you think that ceasing any attempt to change the party through local action is the moral option. Also, please let me know where you're planning the first military action of the new Civil War, I assume you're organizing it?

how is it immoral? i think my time is better spent working for other parties now and convincing other dems to abandon the dem party.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Condiv posted:

yes he was. why was he giving banks legal blowjobs instead of holding them to account for their crimes if he wasn't a sockpuppet back then.

FYI you probably want to cite his work at Justice rather than as Secretary for that, his only legal blowjob to banks in Labor was the waiver stuff which frankly strikes me as a fairly reasonable decision.

At Justice, he A) went after banks with a fairly uncommonly used law, but B) decided against jailing people for illegal foreclosures under that statute, instead sticking with fines and remuneration. Personally I'd call it a wash at worst - it does demonstrate that he was willing to push prosecution of the banks as institutions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Queering Wheel posted:

Since the two of them are so similar then why not just give the chair to Keith and piss nobody off, instead of giving it to Perez and pissing off an important part of the base? Why couldn't they even do that much? Because they're idiot losers and they suck, that's why. Have fun voting for HRC in 2020 again or whoever the gently caress

... wait. Your argument is literally "it doesn't matter so why not do what i want??"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Maybe you guys will do a better job with rustbelt voters you must absolutely win over in 2020

So are you joining team Vote-For-Trump or team Stay-Home-For-Trump?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Queering Wheel posted:

Because maybe they liked the idea of putting someone in charge who was better at combating voter supression or had more experience fixing broken institutions?

Not everything is a conspiracy or done solely for ~*optics*~. While Ellison and Perez generally agreed on strategies they both have very different toolsets for accomplishing those goals.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Queering Wheel posted:

I thought you guys were all about voting, not about giving elections to people?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Predicting how the democrats will do in 4 years is pointless, far too much can change in even a year

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I'm not super happy about Perez, but there isn't a single reason that comes from Perez himself. It's more that I don't like that the DNC couldn't even throw a bone to the Sanderista wing of the party and support unity. We need to be honest about this part: Perez is the one who chose Ellison the way he did, and from all the dinner meeting stuff, it sounds like it's something two old friends worked out so that they could stay the course both of them want to take. It's probably not something the old guard told Perez to do.

That being said, keep a close eye on what Perez does and publicly support things he does that you like, because if you box him in with what you see as the center-right old guard puppetmaster illuminati, he will have no choice but to become that. If you think he's a good candidate with bad support, then become the better support so he can become the good chairman he could be.

If you believe Perez is a corporate clintonista cuck or w/e then there's not much that can be said to you, because you don't subscribe to reality.

Yeah. Perez has a lot on his shoulders now and it's all his responsibility. Skepticism is great, but writing a person unequivocally better than DWS or Howard Dean off before they've even done any work as DNC chair says a lot more about your own intentions walking in than it does for Perez or the Democratic Party.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

So are you joining team Vote-For-Trump or team Stay-Home-For-Trump?

I’m not banking on a failed investment

Hillary couldn’t win with hundreds and millions of dollars in advantage and all the intersectional pseudo-ideological bullshit at her back

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ze Pollack posted:

the fact that the only reason he was put up for election was big-money donors being worried Ellison was going to win doesn't help his cause on that one, tbh.

On the plus side if the big money donors' most conservative viable option was Tom Perez that's a wonderful sign.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

... wait. Your argument is literally "it doesn't matter so why not do what i want??"

If it does not matter, why was Perez put up by the establishment to fight Ellison so late in the game?

It's a pretty simple thing: the democratic establishment refuses to admit the possibility of changing, despite losing everything it is possible to lose over the last eight years.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Condiv posted:

how is it immoral? i think my time is better spent working for other parties now and convincing other dems to abandon the dem party.

Cool. I'm sure you're gonna do that. Yep. Definitely. Totally not just internet tough guy posting. :rolleyes:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Condiv posted:

Okay, genuine question. What do you think the best possible outcome of this is. Like the absolute best possible outcome?

Ze Pollack posted:

If it does not matter, why was Perez put up by the establishment to fight Ellison so late in the game?

It's a pretty simple thing: the democratic establishment refuses to admit the possibility of changing, despite losing everything it is possible to lose over the last eight years.

There is a difference between the two. The difference is not the gigantic wide gulf you're making it out to be.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

GreyjoyBastard posted:

FYI you probably want to cite his work at Justice rather than as Secretary for that, his only legal blowjob to banks in Labor was the waiver stuff which frankly strikes me as a fairly reasonable decision.

At Justice, he A) went after banks with a fairly uncommonly used law, but B) decided against jailing people for illegal foreclosures under that statute, instead sticking with fines and remuneration. Personally I'd call it a wash - it does demonstrate that he was willing to push prosecution of the banks as institutions.

the waiver wasn't reasonable, no. also, how long has "fines and remuneration (:lol:)" been tried, and bankers just keep violating the law? at this point, fines and remuneration below what the banks made committing crime is exactly a blowjob to the banks.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Hillary couldn’t win with hundreds and millions of dollars in advantage and all the intersectional pseudo-ideological bullshit at her back

So are you going to toxx for that?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ImpAtom posted:

TBF the argument in this thread from the Clintonistas was "This doesn't even matter, why do you care?" so this is the logical answer to that argument.

The real answer is it does matter who the DNC chair is, but that also doesn't help Perez look good when he was sort of hastily shoved into the running a month after Ellison was already bringing together both the left and center parts of the party to support him. No matter how you look at it, it really does look very shady, and a lot like what we saw the DNC doing under DWS for Clinton.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The DNC establishment exists to protect the interests of its monied constituency. Ellison was put forward and supported largely by factors outside of this core constituency.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
To the people unhappy, if Ellison had won and named Perez deputy chair, would you be happy? Or would be upset that he gave a bone to those dang neoliberalism and now they'll triangulate all the leverage away?

It's like they tried to go for an "everybody wins" storyline but the people who were caught up in the race for months can't buy into it. Maybe we can run Stone Cold Steve Austin out there to deliver a stunner to both guys and ensure everyone's happy.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

ImpAtom posted:

Okay, genuine question. What do you think the best possible outcome of this is. Like the absolute best possible outcome?

dems loving die, get replaced by a party that actually represents its voters.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

So are you going to vote Republican, vote for the Greens or stay home in 2018?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

Lol the trump supporter reveals himself.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

TBF the argument in this thread from the Clintonistas was "This doesn't even matter, why do you care?" so this is the logical answer to that argument.

The real answer is it does matter who the DNC chair is, but that also doesn't help Perez look good when he was sort of hastily shoved into the running a month after Ellison was already bringing together both the left and center parts of the party to support him. No matter how you look at it, it really does look very shady, and a lot like what we saw the DNC doing under DWS for Clinton.

A lot of neoliberal shills here and elsewhere liked to squawk about "optics" and poo poo during the primaries and general election, and yet they seem like the least aware group on how to not look incredibly guilty and assholish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Condiv posted:

dems loving die, get replaced by a party that actually represents its voters.

So, Condiv, if literally everyone left the Democratic party and joined a new party, how would it be different from the Democratic Party as it exists now?

• Locked thread