Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
The green skirt mafia sets up in the lobby of my very large office building.

Basically it's an exit toll with a complimentary box of cookies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sundae posted:

She should've taken the office chair and all her pens with her too.

Office Chat: The second someone quits or is fired, the vultures descend upon their cubicle/office. Everyone goes and looks for pens, staples, short-supply office supplies, and the big winning item is if you find a snack cache hidden somewhere. I'm not even kidding -- this is what happens basically everywhere.

Take the treasure with you when you leave. :haw:

I have found so much cool poo poo this way - product/mission patches, challenge coins, all sorts of random stuff. I'll move into an area that hasn't been used in forever and find the strangest things.

GrandpaPants posted:

Your problem is that those should have all been Samoas.

Amen

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Is there some sort of stigma attached to not buying scout cookies in the US? I guess I can see if it's from a friend or family, but co-workers' kids as well?

Or are they just really delicious?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Foxhound posted:

Is there some sort of stigma attached to not buying scout cookies in the US? I guess I can see if it's from a friend or family, but co-workers' kids as well?

Both? Most companies have policies about it so you don't have senior people sending thier kids around to shake down the office, but otherwise it's also something of a reciprocity thing where everyone buys whatever everyone else's kids are selling.

They are also delicious and culturally relevant.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

crazypeltast52 posted:

Both? Most companies have policies about it so you don't have senior people sending thier kids around to shake down the office, but otherwise it's also something of a reciprocity thing where everyone buys whatever everyone else's kids are selling.

They are also delicious and culturally relevant.

They are delicious for boxed cookies. Mostly for me it is about saying no to a little kid, when as a boy I was selling candy bars for the boy scouts. Americans don't have kids working sales in the streets normally so when they are selling something is is usually for a good cause and the kids are disarming because we are not used to it. No way in hell that would work in Mexico, for instance.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Foxhound posted:

Also, as a girl scout troop leader here, it's how Girl Scouts funds itself and they do a lot of good work for girls. The majority of their revenue comes from cookie sales

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The girl scouts sell amazing cookies that are only slightly more expensive than keebler and are a good organization that does good things.

The boy scouts sell lovely popcorn that is way waaaaaaaay overpriced and are still struggling with that whole "not being reprehensible assholes on the wrong side of history" thing.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Yawgmoth posted:

The girl scouts sell amazing cookies that are only slightly more expensive than keebler and are a good organization that does good things.

The boy scouts sell lovely popcorn that is way waaaaaaaay overpriced and are still struggling with that whole "not being reprehensible assholes on the wrong side of history" thing.

This. I'll buy cookies but popcorn can gently caress off.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
Here's a little tip: The Trefoils (plain shortbread) make EXCELLENT crusts for mini cheesecakes made in muffin tins.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Ghostnuke posted:

This. I'll buy cookies but popcorn can gently caress off.

A haha the loving popcorn. I never understood why lovely microwave popcorn. Why not sell first aid kids or those little emergency kits for cars or something at least tangentially related to the whole "be prepared" concept.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

potee posted:

Why not sell first aid kids
Human trafficking is generally frowned upon.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
god drat I remember selling that popcorn. It actually wasn't bad at all, but super overpriced and anybody who cares about popcorn probably has tons in their house already.

One neighbor just gave me money and said buy some for yourself I don't want it lol. Meanwhile the girls come home with like $300 cash no problem. Boy Scounts would literally sell 100x more if they just sold candy bars like a normal club.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Never had to sell popcorn as a Boy Scout, did sell Christmas wreaths though, and like all the other boys only cared about selling enough to get the pocket knife.

I'm cool with little kids selling stuff, but people pushing advocare and poo poo at their actual workplace are terrible.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
We used to sell calendars (For the national scouts association) and they were... Ok. Our local unit used to sell bread door to door, which in hindsight was just :wtc:

When I was older we used to do projects that were cool enough that we would just get sponsorships, that owned. Some of the coolest poo poo I did in my life was when I was in the scouts at 15 - 18 years old... Still comes up in interviews sometime 15 years later (One of the projects set me on my current career path)

We had one guy selling GS cookies in the office, dude would have to order extra to meet demand. They're good cookies.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I hate all that bullshit fundraising stuff. Our kids schools do it as well, selling cookies and cakes and stuff. My office is full of parents and last year we finally declared an armistice where no one brings that crap in and we don't all end up having to buy stuff from each other and ending up with a house full of trash food we don't want for social obligation reasons.

The parent council at my daughter's daycare got the school to switch from selling frozen cookies and cakes to selling gift cards, so instead of lobbying my office or my family we can just buy gift cards for places we're already going to shop at through the school and they get a percentage (somewhere between 5% and 20% depending on the store) themselves. So much easier.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If the pass through is only 5-20%, wouldn't it make way more sense to just have donation drives?

I guess you're getting a 5 - 20% off coupon to wherever you're shopping, but wouldn't a tax receipt make more sense?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yes, just giving them real money would be way easier for everyone and when they were still selling cakes I told them I was done flogging poo poo to my office and that I would just write a check or give them cash or literally anything but acting as a commission salesman for these things. Just put a big jar in the lobby or one of those big painted thermometers people use to track donations and I will help fill it up, you don't even need stretch goals I promise!

It's always for reasonable stuff, I am happy to help fund a field trip or make sure that a teacher doesn't have to buy (even more) supplies out of pocket, so its not like its for some boring stuff that would be hard to get donations for. But for some reason people are married to these programs and don't want to just do straight donations, so this system is where the compromise landed. This way we at least don't end up with a freezer full of cakes or a pantry stuffed with cookies, and we can get gift cards for grocery stores, department stores, etc where we're going to be buying things regularly.

I don't mind the girl scout cookies, especially when its actually the kids selling them, its just the bleedover into the office and when people run similar programs that are basically pushed onto parents.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Aldi's sells store-brand girl scout cookies for like $1.69 a box that I think are probably from the same girl scout cookie factory so you could take a pretty healthy markup and still undercut people trying to sell girl scout cookies. Great arbitrage opportunity. The monopoly is dead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

topenga posted:

Here's a little tip: The Trefoils (plain shortbread) make EXCELLENT crusts for mini cheesecakes made in muffin tins.

Here's my recipe for a box of shortbread cookies: eat all the cookies in the box.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
"Hi Mister! You could buy cookies from me so 10% of the money you spent goes to my school, or you could write a check to our school for the same amount, 100% of it goes, and I'll skip the next nine times I'd normally try to sell you stuff."

Do you have any idea how much I'd donate if places did this instead? SO MUCH.

Also, creepiest thing I think I've seen in a long time was in my former town in Indiana. The high school cheerleaders were doing bikini car washes to raise money for some travel competition, and there were pickup trucks lined up all around in the parking lot for it. Jesus christ, you creepy fuckers. They're like 16. They're young enough to be your daughters. gently caress, for all I know, they are your daughters.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 24, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Apparently major progress was made on switching over to the new store management software today :toot:

Lordy but I don't like getting reports out of the loving ancient one I use now. Admittedly there's actually a lot that could have been done in the one we have now to make that easier but no one took advantage of it and I'll be the one setting all the properties in the new one and it will be organized and I will write down a guide to the system and everything :getin:

And then eventually I will get a new job and leave and the next person will totally ignore the notes on what the gently caress I was doing and make a mess but that will be their own fault not mine.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Pardon me for going back to Toastmasters-chat, but:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm part of a Toastmasters Club, and as part of our normal meeting structure we do "Table Topics" which are where someone speaks extemporaneously for two minutes to a prompt.

I'd like to do a thing where the theme is "You just woke up after falling asleep at an important meeting, and it's your turn to comment on the presentation"

I'm going to have a flip chart with some drawings or buzzwords on them, and that's their prompt.

As a Toastmasters club president, I think this is an awesome idea for Table Topics. :)

Meydey posted:

Where's the ring?

Volmarias posted:

I cannot unsee this

Me neither :raise: For what it's worth, we did move to a new logo (Upper left of the page) in 2011.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Toastmasters is like AA, the people who think it helped them are REALLY into it and DEFINITELY think that you should join too because it would do SO much for you.

There is a little bit of this, I won't lie. I think most people could do it for a year or two and then get pretty much everything they're going to get out of it.

Quoting both of these for truth. I learned how to speak, run a meeting, plan an event, and manage a project (still working on the latter) by being a club officer. :)

Keetron posted:

Disappointed this club is not about making the perfect crunchy bread slices.

That's what I thought the first time I heard of it :haw:

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Can I get a big favor from you guys?

I'm part of a Toastmasters Club, and as part of our normal meeting structure we do "Table Topics" which are where someone speaks extemporaneously for two minutes to a prompt.

I'd like to do a thing where the theme is "You just woke up after falling asleep at an important meeting, and it's your turn to comment on the presentation"

I'm going to have a flip chart with some drawings or buzzwords on them, and that's their prompt.

I'm already digging through the PYF awful/funny graphs thread, but if anyone has some amazing buzzwords, or any other thing that would be fun to put on a flip chart, I'd love to hear it.
Powerpoint karaoke is indeed hilarious. Note that you can do an advanced google search for .ppt filetype + your favorite hilarious term and it will come up with presentations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PurpleButterfly posted:

Me neither :raise: For what it's worth, we did move to a new logo (Upper left of the page) in 2011.

Nobody told my club. I haven't been in months but I went to the international area speech contest last night and sure enough goatse greeted me at the door.

I miss public speaking. Some of the speakers were so so so bad. The best part about toastmasters is how female the group is (17/30 last night between speakers and audience were women). The worst part about toastmasters is how old the group is (maybe 5 people under 40, maybe 10 people under 55).

I think I might start up a club at work.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

tesilential posted:

god drat I remember selling that popcorn. It actually wasn't bad at all, but super overpriced and anybody who cares about popcorn probably has tons in their house already.

One neighbor just gave me money and said buy some for yourself I don't want it lol. Meanwhile the girls come home with like $300 cash no problem. Boy Scounts would literally sell 100x more if they just sold candy bars like a normal club.

My troop sold frozen cookie dough, but we stopped after the company issued a recall due to possible e.coli contamination.

13 years old and I'm getting phone calls from parents saying I made their kids sick. Tommy isn't sick from the cookies, Mrs. Procno, he just wanted to miss the history test.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Sundae posted:

"Hi Mister! You could buy cookies from me so 10% of the money you spent goes to my school, or you could write a check to our school for the same amount, 100% of it goes, and I'll skip the next nine times I'd normally try to sell you stuff."

Do you have any idea how much I'd donate if places did this instead? SO MUCH.

Ashcans posted:

Yes, just giving them real money would be way easier for everyone and when they were still selling cakes I told them I was done flogging poo poo to my office and that I would just write a check or give them cash or literally anything but acting as a commission salesman for these things. Just put a big jar in the lobby or one of those big painted thermometers people use to track donations and I will help fill it up, you don't even need stretch goals I promise!

I appreciate the sentiment, but these orgs universally sell things because in practice that's just not what happened when they solicited donations. People say they'd donate, but they don't.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

ProperCoochie posted:

Lol

Sorry I offended private schools, golf, and $2000 watches.

If I get angry at one person, that's OK. If I get angry at two people, I start getting suspicious. If I get angry at three people, I know that the problem is in me.

You buddy are angry at everyone at your former company and everyone at the client.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Doctor Malaver posted:

If I get angry at one person, that's OK. If I get angry at two people, I start getting suspicious. If I get angry at three people, I know that the problem is in me.

You buddy are angry at everyone at your former company and everyone at the client.

That gal at Uber seemed angry at a whole lot of folks, but I don't don't think the issue was with her.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Had an :derp: emergency :derp: dataset to pull together late last night so my VPs could remind our CEO of how successful one of our programs was back in 2014 (so we can accelerate something similar today).

I like my VPs, and I don't really mind staying up until 2am working on that if it helps them out, but... We actually won our company's highest award for that program in 2014. The CEO personally handed us the dang trophy statues. :negative:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

I appreciate the sentiment, but these orgs universally sell things because in practice that's just not what happened when they solicited donations. People say they'd donate, but they don't.

I believe it. After this discussion, I started asking some of my friends what their views were and they all basically corroborated what you're saying. They'll gladly buy 20 boxes of girl scout cookies, but no way in hell would they just write a check to the organization. :(

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I must be an oddball because I'd definitely say that I would write a check in lieu of buying stuff.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Write a check nothing, just reach for $5 from your wallet/purse.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
That $5 is for coffee/food truck/Lotto pool etc

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Aw jeez I forgot my checkbook.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Am I the only person on planet earth who still carries a checkbook with him? :confused:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sundae posted:

Am I the only person on planet earth who still carries a checkbook with him? :confused:

Nah, you're not the only old person on earth.

Then again I tried to repay people with cash and they looked at me like I was weird for not using Venmo/Google Wallet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

Only person under 60 potentially.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Just wait till the girls scouts start carrying Square card swipers on them

Sundae posted:

Yes

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Meydey posted:

This will be a sad, sad day to me, kind of like when I realized that people pay for things in real-world stores with some swipey poo poo on their apple phones.

I'm not even 40 yet. When did I become so out of date? I blame living in Amish country for four years. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Meydey posted:

The ones here in Dallas already do. Girlfriend volunteers with a troop and they said their cookie sales skyrocketed once they started being able to take cards. :v: