Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah you know what people are like, the only moral monster is my monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of, the Daily Mail Online just ran a sympathy piece about Dagmara Przybysz, the 16 year old Polish girl who apparently hanged herself at school after suffering constant xenophobic abuse, in which they ask "What could cause people to act like this?"

I'm not going to link it and they can gently caress off.

Dacre should hang from the tower

if hating the media seems such a turnoff for people, then maybe hang every daily mail reader instead. They love hanging, they used to be swingers, it'd be fine.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Keeps reminding me of Nozick's utility monster thought experiment.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Spangly A posted:

Dacre should hang from the tower

if hating the media seems such a turnoff for people, then maybe hang every daily mail reader instead. They love hanging, they used to be swingers, it'd be fine.

The print Daily Mail and the online Daily Mail have different editors. They all hate each other and also we should hate all of them, of course.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

jBrereton posted:

We had this "Labour is doomed England is doomed they're going to be tories forever" crap in 1992 due to the similarly atrocious Kinnock leading the party into electoral defeat against a different new, bad, Tory government. Then 1997 happened!

They were wrong though. With hindsight, Kinnock began the reforms that put Labour into power.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So, the bill to ratify the Istanbul Convention passed 138-1 yesterday. Guess who the 1 No was.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TinTower posted:

So, the bill to ratify the Istanbul Convention passed 138-1 yesterday. Guess who the 1 No was.

93 minute filibuster? that's absolutely pathetic. Both in intent and effort.

Also a government with more meninists than leninists isn't legitimate etc etc

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Biggar clocked in 4 hours and he survived the Famine ffs.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Paxman posted:

They were wrong though. With hindsight, Kinnock began the reforms that put Labour into power.

Do wonder how Corbyn will be remembered. It's all about legacy now.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Paxman posted:

Kinnock was despised by both sides of the party and was not responsible for any of its future success, imo.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mps gave themselves another 1.4% raise. Feels good with my 1% and the real terms pay cut nurses have taken since 2010

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Kinnock was despised by both sides of the party and was not responsible for any of its future success, imo.

your opinions today have been utter crap, Kinnock's policy review was incredibly important for Labour.

Also joe biden had to drop out of the presidential because he ripped off his speeches and that's quite funny

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Spangly A posted:

Also joe biden had to drop out of the presidential because he ripped off his speeches and that's quite funny

Wait, what? I thought he dropped out because his son died?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Only Kinnock had the wisdom to do a survey (that he didn't win off the back of).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

TheRat posted:

Wait, what? I thought he dropped out because his son died?

In his first attempt in 1988.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

oh. rofl.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

radmonger posted:

What I meant by it is that there is a clear spectrum from 'would never kill anyone' to 'would kill the innocent for fun', with'would kill to defend their family' in between. If you were an amoral mad scientist, you could find out where someone is on that spectrum with an apparatus involving tram tracks, switches, family members, strangers, and candy bars.

A 'moral monster' is someone that scientist would count as in the bottom 0.5% on that spectrum.

The thing is, such people are a problem for the police, not politics, because 0.5%. So when you see a mass of people voting for the tram to crush the child, the problem must be something else. Either their children genuinely are on the other track, or they have been fooled into thinking they are.

I think that if you define moral monsters as 0.5% of the population by definition then okay, most people are not moral monsters.

But as the Milgram experiment shows, most people can be convinced into murdering a man by the sole device of a man in a lab coat telling them to do it. So it seems quite straightforward to convince that crowd that the child being crushed is in fact not really human, and I don't think that crowd needs to be in the bottom 0.5% of humanity for that to work.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Only Kinnock had the wisdom to do a survey (that he didn't win off the back of).

So all things that currently exist have always existed and required no innovation? you are a loving bore m8

Kinnocks worst ever fuckup was calling Thatcher out on murdering argentinian sailors. This was his most unpopular move.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of, the Daily Mail Online just ran a sympathy piece about Dagmara Przybysz, the 16 year old Polish girl who apparently hanged herself at school after suffering constant xenophobic abuse, in which they ask "What could cause people to act like this?"

I'm not going to link it and they can gently caress off.

It's unfortunate that's the way it is but the name probably didn't help.

Giving your daughter growing up in the UK the name Dagmara is not the greatest idea ever. It's not even a particularly nice/modern name in Slavic countries either, bit like calling her Doris or something (topical because of the storm).

e: Oh she was born in Poland. Well that sucks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean strictly giving you kid the name Mohammed is probably not a very good idea in the UK either but maybe we shouldn't make suggestions like that?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean strictly giving you kid the name Mohammed is probably not a very good idea in the UK either but maybe we shouldn't make suggestions like that?

Yeah I know. It's a weird name for a young girl from a Slavic-language perspective though, it's kinda archaic, so it jumps out to you if you know what the modern names usually are.

Not that that excuses anything of course.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

mate did you know that 5 out of 10 babies in the uk are called mohammed, its a loving disgrace is what it is, and i dont understand how statistics work

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm going to guess that the people who drive a 16 year old girl to suicide probably are even less up on modern slavic naming traditions than I am.

Maybe it was her mum's / grandmum's name.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm going to guess that the people who drive a 16 year old girl to suicide probably are even less up on modern slavic naming traditions than I am.

Maybe it was her mum's / grandmum's name.

I suppose. Whatever it was a dumb comment.

The newer names do sound a bit less foreign in general though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
well the democrats just replaced their leader in the US and a bland centrist won so we can see how that works out now

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

TinTower posted:

loving Philip Davies, he really needs a kick in the balls.

Out of interest, does anyone know how filibusters generally fail? From what I've seen of successful ones, there's basically no mechanism for the speaker to tell them to sit down unless they go off topic.

Is it literally a case of waiting for him to have a coughing fit or needing to get a glass of water?

I can't imagine Philip Davies wandering off-topic given the amount of practice he's had at this, and the fact the speaker will usually give repeated warnings.

Edit:

Namtab posted:

Mps gave themselves another 1.4% raise. Feels good with my 1% and the real terms pay cut nurses have taken since 2010

No they haven't. Pay decisions have been deliberately given to an independent body so MPs have no control over their pay.

Fangz posted:

Sure. Mostly I spend my time on a MUD,

I didn't realise MUDs were still a thing. Mind sharing which one if it's a popular one?

Spangly A posted:

You first. The British colonised and subjugated my homeland. You and everyone who would defend this deserve no sympathy.

As I discovered to my surprise when I was doing some reading into early Irish history, it wasn't the British, it was the Normans (in cahoots with the Pope)! They colonised and subjugated the rest of us too. :)

Not intending to minimise the later British shenanigans in Ireland of course, but I certainly hadn't appreciated how far back the history went.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 25, 2017

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pochoclo posted:

The print Daily Mail and the online Daily Mail have different editors. They all hate each other and also we should hate all of them, of course.

Dacre is editor-in-chief of Associated Newspapers (or whatever they're called these days), so is the boss of the editors of all three, and certainly the person with the most influence over their editorial lines.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

well the democrats just replaced their leader in the US and a bland centrist won so we can see how that works out now

Perez is a bland centrist? Everything I heard was that he's one of the Dems' best-reputed guys on labour, and separated by very little from Ellison, politics-wise - as evidenced by the fact that he immediately made Ellison his deputy (which may work out better anyway, since as a sitting senator, Ellison may not have been able to give the post his full attention).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Perez is a good choice to everyone except hardcore Bernouts.

Also I was named Kiir (Estonian, if you're wondering) until I changed my name, and let me tell you, do not underestimate how immensely lovely a weird foreign name will make things for a kid. Had I had access to a gun I would definitely have Columbined the place up.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Prince John posted:

Out of interest, does anyone know how filibusters generally fail? From what I've seen of successful ones, there's basically no mechanism for the speaker to tell them to sit down unless they go off topic.

Is there any good reason why filibusters exist? If people don't want to engage in a debate or allow a vote then make them gently caress off out the room.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is there any good reason why filibusters exist? If people don't want to engage in a debate or allow a vote then make them gently caress off out the room.

Because nobody wants to make a rule saying you can't talk forever to shut down a debate.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Cato did it and classicists can't stop fellating ancient greece/rome

Biggar and the irish republicans used it to force westminster to negotiate with Ireland, that was a good use of one.

The actual answer is "not really". They're a mechanism designed outright to break senates and westminster parliaments. Nobody wants to give up the power to break the opposition.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

One of the earliest Filibusters was Cato attempting to stop Caeser from receiving military honours, he succeeded but wasn't able to stop him entering Rome in time to run for senate.

Prince John posted:

I can't imagine Philip Davies wandering off-topic given the amount of practice he's had at this, and the fact the speaker will usually give repeated warnings.

I do want to add that Philip Davies is loving crap at filibusters, 93 minutes is his best so far and that's absolutely pathetic. I've spoken at length for longer than that and the last time I had public speaking coaching I was 13. Compare it to the American attempts, even recent ones, and it's honestly shocking that he's that bad at them.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Also I was named Kiir (Estonian, if you're wondering) until I changed my name

Is your surname Royale by any chance?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Dacre is editor-in-chief of Associated Newspapers (or whatever they're called these days), so is the boss of the editors of all three, and certainly the person with the most influence over their editorial lines.

Dacre has gently caress-all influence over the Mail on Sunday as Geordie Greig is in tight with the current Lady Rothermere and as her husband controls the purse-strings what she says goes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Filibusters are one of those things that enhances the power of the minority that mainly exist because a gentleman's agreement exists that people only use it when they really want something, so allowing it gives the air of civility to a parliamentary debate and encourages the majority to compromise even if they don't mathematically have to. In today's ultra-tribal politics, though....

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Fangz posted:

Filibusters are one of those things that enhances the power of the minority that mainly exist because a gentleman's agreement exists that people only use it when they really want something, so allowing it gives the air of civility to a parliamentary debate and encourages the majority to compromise even if they don't mathematically have to. In today's ultra-tribal politics, though....

Yeah they're quite clearly an indication that the system doesn't work but I'd rather have it than empty tory promises

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

In the UK it's pretty much isolated to private members bills. Programme motions and the guillotine, which has fallen out of practice, kills filibusters for any government bills

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ookiimarukochan posted:

Is your surname Royale by any chance?

Nope!

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

People defend talking out private members bills cause very few people bother with them and a handful of mps can push through motions with barely anyone present, so being unable to stop someone chatting with a simple move to closure (which requires 100 MPs present) is meant to shut down motions with bad attendance

According to the people that do it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

kustomkarkommando posted:

People defend talking out private members bills cause very few people bother with them and a handful of mps can push through motions with barely anyone present, so being unable to stop someone chatting with a simple move to closure (which requires 100 MPs present) is meant to shut down motions with bad attendance

According to the people that do it anyway

Honestly, Parliament should either sit ALL DAY on 3-4 days per week or put safeguards in place to make sure that if fewer than 50 non-Govt MPs are in the house, any legislation proposed is auto-passed.
It'd make lazy fucks like my (London) MP actually have to do something other than submitting written questions.

• Locked thread