Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I'm thinking, what would be the discussion going on if Ellison had won? Feel like there would be a lot more unity right now.

geez they made him 3/5ths of a chairperson what more could uppity progressives want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

He will indeed be staying as a rep

Best news I've heard today.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

maybe perez won because hes awful at public speaking, meek as hell, and a total wonk, he's just like the majority of the democratic party leadership!

fortunately his job is mostly raising money and directing strategy and we're not running him as a presidential candidate?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Grondoth posted:

If you're trying to smugly say that the left isn't organized enough to take these people down, well... yeah? That's the point? Who's gonna organize them? They aren't wanted in the democrats, it's hard to get involved with the democrats, they're very obviously angry at the republicans and aren't gonna join them, third parties are a joke, and politics just isn't important enough for most people for them to just organically organize together. But yo, there's a lot of energy to be found if the dems would say "this is your party now, kids, let's make some things happen." I done seen it with my eyes.

They have to organize themselves, you idiot

real political movements don't sit around on their hands waiting for someone else to come tell them what to do. leftist movements don't succeed by milling around aimlessly until the political establishment invites them to rule, they succeed by organizing themselves and fighting their own way through those barriers and disadvantages

jfc

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

fortunately his job is mostly raising money and directing strategy and we're not running him as a presidential candidate?

dnc chair does a lot of media

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Main Paineframe posted:

real political movements don't sit around on their hands waiting for someone else to come tell them what to do.

:smugdon:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/835594986192252930

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

there's a thread for mobilizing democrats isn't there

like there's that thread for being useful and then this thread for salt

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I know right???

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

dnc chair does a lot of media

hes not awful at it

i mean, im mad, but im not "we just picked clinton" mad.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/835571506868543489

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Is Hillary really planning to run in 2020? They can't be that loving stupid.

:ohdear:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the establishment hated ellison so much because he had the support of far-left radicals like chuck 'seize the means' schumer

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Telephones posted:

she can try if she wants, she'd lose the primary to a potted plant at this point.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Telephones posted:

literally nobody who knows what they're talking about thinks hillary would run again in a million years. she was borderline too old in 2016 and failed general candidates never run again. 'hillary's gonna run in 2020' is twitter speak for 'i'm permanently brokebrained by the primaries and see david brock in the corner of my eyes'

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Telephones posted:

She has zero support from anyone atm but mentioning it really triggers some dudes around here.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

They have to organize themselves, you idiot

real political movements don't sit around on their hands waiting for someone else to come tell them what to do. leftist movements don't succeed by milling around aimlessly until the political establishment invites them to rule, they succeed by organizing themselves and fighting their own way through those barriers and disadvantages

jfc

I know you keep saying this, but what I think your general depression with the left is stopping you from realizing that organization doesn't just come out of thin air. You're saying political power doesn't come out of thin air either, and yeah, of course. What I'm saying is that the power base of the left has been undermined for a very long time, and that makes it hard for it to organize independently, and part of that erosion is that politics has moved further and further from the public so it's harder and harder for people not already connected within that sphere to get involved.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

If you don't eat all your vegetables then hillary is gonna run again, mister

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

she can try if she wants, she'd lose the primary to a potted plant at this point.

Yeah boy, pot plant (4)20(4)20. :420: :cool:

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

tfw MTW + RDPON

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

None of those people are at all involved in local politics and it shows

I tried going to a few dem meetings back in 2008/9 but it was just 50-60 year old white people whining about stupid crap that put me to sleep, they never actually did anything for 6+ months so I stopped going.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

weird way to spell ron paul

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

got any sevens posted:

I tried going to a few dem meetings back in 2008/9 but it was just 50-60 year old white people whining about stupid crap that put me to sleep, they never actually did anything for 6+ months so I stopped going.

Try going back now! There's probably a lot more people like you there, unless they all got chased away already.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/835590111471550464

Bernie thinks he can boss around Tom "The Bomb" Perez like one of his Mexican housemaids. When will this old #FakeDem retire? He's like the Democrat version of John McCain.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

lol

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

etalian posted:

I think we heard the arguments from bad dems for why Hillary was unbeatable.

She was so unbeatable that with 12 years of preparation she barely beat a last minute halfass primary challenger who wasn't even really from her party. :swoon:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

funny way to spell posted:

Bernie thinks he can boss around Tom "The Bomb" Perez like one of his Mexican housemaids. When will this old #FakeDem retire? He's like the Democrat version of John McCain.
he should be bossing him around, actually

it's the best shot we have of perez actually promoting populist leftists and progressives to run for seats

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

"Working class people will like Perez more" is code for "Ellison is too black and too Muslim," hth

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Telephones posted:

No, but it makes an incredibly good clickbait headline because there's no one who doesn't have Strong Opinions about Hillary Clinton, so expect to hear it over and over again until Jan 2021

Grondoth posted:

I know you keep saying this, but what I think your general depression with the left is stopping you from realizing that organization doesn't just come out of thin air. You're saying political power doesn't come out of thin air either, and yeah, of course. What I'm saying is that the power base of the left has been undermined for a very long time, and that makes it hard for it to organize independently, and part of that erosion is that politics has moved further and further from the public so it's harder and harder for people not already connected within that sphere to get involved.

It's easier than it's ever been before to organize on a large scale. The left just doesn't have the motivation or the understanding of how to do it anymore.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The best part about the democrats relentlessly loving over the progressive wing is seeing the same dumb poo poo retards acting like they're the adults in the room while pouring salt on the wound.

:smug: you children need to grow up. didn't you see that your stupid messiah got a ceremonial position? one day you'll realize that change is incremental and you have to put in a couple of decades of work before you can get what you want. if you idiots aren't willing to walk lockstep with the establishment, maybe you were never really progressives to begin with :smug: *loses every branch of government* *watches the country transform into a conservative dystopia overnight* *never loses that smug smile*

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

*extremely doesn't vote in primaries voice* "why would i support the dems when all their candidates are so Bad?"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fallen Hamprince posted:

*extremely doesn't vote in primaries voice* "why would i support the dems when all their candidates are so Bad?"
I think a lot of the people saying this did vote in the primaries.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

funny way to spell posted:

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/835590111471550464

SYQ

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think a lot of the people saying this did vote in the primaries.
and the people making fun of them did not

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Leftists bedwetting over this is much less worrying than the usual cadre of smug centerists reassuring everyone that this is meaningless/good, as they are physically incapable of not being wrong.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

"gas chambers for detainees is good, checkmate leftists :smug:"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This especially hurts the Dems longterm, because if young people aren't excited about being part of the party, you can't develop new talent.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ace of Baes posted:

Leftists bedwetting over this is much less worrying than the usual cadre of smug centerists reassuring everyone that this is meaningless/good, as they are physically incapable of not being wrong.

it'll be cool when they're totally shocked that a bunch of progressives win a bunch of poo poo and take over their political party, why, they could never see that one coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ace of Baes posted:

In the end it was the centrists who were the real accelerationists.

• Locked thread