Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N: https://twitter.com/MarcCarig/status/835518508750548993

V: For gently caress's sake, can the Mets wait until the actual season to start Mets-ing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Explosionface posted:

He was pure magic on defense and baserunning last year.

I feel like people are desperate for a breath of fresh air after the disaster that was Starlin Castro: Second Baseman.

I'm not saying that Baez is one of the worst players in baseball or anything, but let's not make him out to be more than he is. He was badly exposed two years ago as a free-swinging guy with an allergy to walks and while his defense has really improved, he still makes a ton of mental errors on the field.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
He has steadily improved in the free-swinging strikeout department so there is hope he can become a disciplined hitter. He has the swing to be a Stanton he just needs to learn how to manage it.

He makes a lot of bone headed plays that somehow turn out in his favour in the wackiest fashion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

He has steadily improved in the free-swinging strikeout department so there is hope he can become a disciplined hitter. He has the swing to be a Stanton he just needs to learn how to manage it.

Historically speaking, plate discipline is not something learned at the majors. And, no, his K/BB ratio exploded last year.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

https://gfycat.com/EsteemedIdioticAnemonecrab

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

It's good that there are words on it. Who knows what mike trout would have done otherwise.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

iKickDogs posted:

It's good that there are words on it. Who knows what mike trout would have done otherwise.

"Catcher Tags Runner Out"

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
There is spring training ball on the MLB app right now and I am just so pathetically grateful.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Edit: I just don't get Cubs fans' fascination with him. Sure, he's goofy, but he also, you know, kinda sucks at baseball.

I understand where you're coming from that Baez is overhyped by the fandom (he is) but saying he sucks at baseball is a swinging way too far in the opposite direction. As others have pointed out he's shown some of the best IF defense in the league at three separate positions in the diamond, he has plus speed on top of great baserunning instincts and tagging technique and sliding technique which means he can steal bags and be aggressive on the bases. At the plate he cut his K% down by 6 points from 30% in 2015 to 24% in 2016. He still doesn't walk much no, but that's because Baez got a lot better last year at making contact by shortening up his huge loopy homerun swing to get the ball in play. See Exhibit A:

https://streamable.com/wx62

I mean look, Javy is never going to be Ben Zobrist. He's always going to have tons of swing and miss, he's never going to walk much, and he's always going to be aggressive. He also has an absurd amount of power, good baseball instincts once he's on base, and he at least used 2016 to learn how to shorten up and have an actual 0-2 approach, something he didn't have in 2014-15. He's also still a little rough around the edges since he didn't get much exposure to the majors in 2014-15 due to injury, and my guess is he eventually shakes out into a guy who posts a mid .200's AVG, low .300's OBP, steals 20 bags and hits 20 bombs a year. That's not exactly a Kris Bryant superstar ceiling, but it's not "sucks at baseball."

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So do I have to take down the W flag that's been hanging on my sliding glass door since the end of Game 7 today? Or can I wait until the start of the actual season?

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

This is a huge long shot, but does anyone remember a gif of a catcher freaking out when he holds up the ball for the plate ump to replace and the plate ump isn't there? I've been trying to find it with little success.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Timby posted:

I'll live with it if he ever learns to stop swinging at pitches in loving Naperville.

Edit: I just don't get Cubs fans' fascination with him. Sure, he's goofy, but he also, you know, kinda sucks at baseball.

uhhhh lol. He was a 2.7 WAR player even though he was protected against RHP as much as possible and he literally can't take a walk. He's good, just in a weird way.

IMB fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 25, 2017

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Timby posted:

he still makes a ton of mental errors on the field.

You may need to get them ojos checked out. Baez had 11 DRS in 383 innings at 2B last year. Dustin Pedroia led the majors with 12 DRS but it took him 1300 innings to get to that number.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Javy is cool and good and is only going to get cooler and gooder. :colbert:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm not convinced by any player who strikes out 6 times as often as he walks, no matter how good a couple of defensive metrics say he is.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Javy's probably not going to be a starter at the beginning of the season, but he's a perfect late-game defensive replacement, especially for an older guy like Zobrist, he can play 3B, SS, and 2B extremely well, and he's a solid bench bat.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Yan Gomes just declared himself as being in the BSOHL. Is that allowed?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Javy's probably not going to be a starter at the beginning of the season, but he's a perfect late-game defensive replacement, especially for an older guy like Zobrist, he can play 3B, SS, and 2B extremely well, and he's a solid bench bat.

Looks like between Schwarber, Jay, Almora, Zobrist, and Baez there's going to be a lot of moving pieces with the lineup this year. Even when 1-2 guys get a day off you'll still see a more of less normal starting 8 out there.

As for Baez being overvalued by Cub fans, makes sense since he was the first "Just wait for the prospects!" guy to get the call, and he'll have stretches of absolute brilliance- See: NLCS, 2016. He's a 2/3 full time 3 WAR player trending the right way, I don't get the pessimism.

Edit: I think Javy Baez really is the new Starlin Castro. Also a hot dog is a sandwich.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

but saying he sucks at baseball is a swinging way too far in the opposite direction.

quote:

He still doesn't walk much no

quote:

a guy who posts a mid .200's AVG, low .300's OBP, steals 20 bags

He sucks at baseball. I'll wait on him to stop chasing pitches in Schaumburg. He had some great moments in the playoffs but we aren't talking about Didi Gregorius here.

Edit: There's a systemic issue with pitch patience and discipline happening with Cubs prospects and I'm not entirely sure people are seeing that.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 25, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

He sucks at baseball.

You're right, of course. His 2015 success, 2016 success, and postseason success have all been smoke & mirrors and we fans + the Cubs front office are fools to not see the truth you've seen: Baez is a bust and is actually not good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

You're right, of course. His 2015 success, 2016 success, and postseason success have all been smoke & mirrors and we fans + the Cubs front office are fools to not see the truth you've seen: Baez is a bust and is actually not good.

career .289 OBP lol

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
He's twenty loving three years old and has only had 1 full year in the majors. You might want to give him some time.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Geez and I thought *I* was a pessimist.....

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Timby has bad brainthoughts in all areas of life, don't worry about him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Timby posted:

career .289 OBP lol

Yeah he sucks. I'll give you Whit Merrifield for him since I'm in a good mood.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

postseason success

Citing postseason success is ridiculous, doubly so when that "success" is worse than their regular season numbers.

Although citing a season where he had 80 plate appearances isn't much better.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

We need :words: except :cubs:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

New Concept Hole posted:

Although citing a season where he had 80 plate appearances isn't much better.

I looked at his stats on Fangraphs and thought that was 80 games not 80 PA's. :doh: At the time I thought "80 games that doesn't feel right" but then I had another beer and didn't care.

And anyway numbers can never take away Baez absolutely styling over the Giants and Dodgers, even if he did flame out in the WS.

TheChaosPath posted:

This is spring training we have to practice our Cubs poo poo posting so we're read for the regular season N/V threads.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheChaosPath posted:

we already have :hurr: though

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/835558228046057474

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Baez tried to squeeze bunt in the 9th inning of Game 7 and struck out on a foul bunt. He also made two errors in that game. But he is a goddamn demon defensively.

To be fair he also homered in Game 7 so credit where it's due.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Glad to see the Pirates winning in Spring Training

Hopefully they will win the NL Central this year so I can finally make a modern version of this
https://twitter.com/BSmile/status/835494878394089473

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Jose Fernandez's daughter was born yesterday. Her name is Penelope.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Players with a worse BB/K ratio than Baez in 2016, minumum 400PA:

1 Tim Anderson
2 Paulo Orlando

He's a below-average offensive player, and if he doesn't improve his plate discipline he'll continue to be so. He's clearly good defensively, but if he doesn't keep putting up 2 dWAR a season his overall value is going to be minimal.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Last year, Baez slashed .273/.314/.423. The AL as a whole (using AL instead of NL just to quickly take out pitcher ABs) slashed .257/.321/.423. His bb/k ratio could use some work but "below average" doesn't seem to be the right description.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Last year, Baez slashed .273/.314/.423. The AL as a whole (using AL instead of NL just to quickly take out pitcher ABs) slashed .257/.321/.423. His bb/k ratio could use some work but "below average" doesn't seem to be the right description.

He's below average, right there in your post... and the weighted metrics like OPS+ and WRC+ both say the same thing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comptroll The Forums posted:

For a player with the third-worst K/BB ratio in baseball, I don't think "could use some work" is the right description either.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Julio Cruz posted:

Players with a worse BB/K ratio than Baez in 2016, minumum 400PA:

1 Tim Anderson
2 Paulo Orlando

He's a below-average offensive player, and if he doesn't improve his plate discipline he'll continue to be so. He's clearly good defensively, but if he doesn't keep putting up 2 dWAR a season his overall value is going to be minimal.

Sounds like a Royal to me. The Whit Merrifield trade is on the table, just call me.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

God drat. :smith:

I mean, congrats to his fiance and everything for the birth of a beautiful and healthy baby girl, but it's gotta be awful knowing she'll never meet her daddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Javier Baez, multi-position defensive magician and sometimes frustrating bottom of the order hitter is something I can probably be ok with for the next five years of team control.

• Locked thread