Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Looks like a full season of Patriot is up on Prime. The pilot episode came out like a year and a half ago, but was hilarious. Hopefully the rest of the season holds up.

5 episodes in and it definitely holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
The Greasy Strangler is on Amazon Prime. It's something!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Medullah posted:

It's super low brow and racist as hell, but that's intentional. If you like really dumb Seth Rogan humor it's probably worth a watch for free. Drink during it.

I like dumb Seth Rogan humor and I really hated sausage party.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I remember watching Superman 1 as an adult and remember the opening credits just being A list after A list actor of two generations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fliptophead posted:

The Greasy Strangler is on Amazon Prime. It's something!

I made it about 20 minutes before turning it off, embarrassed for myself, the people who wrote it, the actors, and the entire world in general. But I imagine anyone who likes Tim and Eric would love it.

veni veni veni posted:

I like dumb Seth Rogan humor and I really hated sausage party.

:agreed:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

precision posted:

I made it about 20 minutes before turning it off, embarrassed for myself, the people who wrote it, the actors, and the entire world in general. But I imagine anyone who likes Tim and Eric would love it.

What?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Greasy Strangler is an American film which utilizes "gross-out" and "cringe" humor, such as the inherent humor of seeing a middle-aged man standing stock still in his underwear while his father wonders "Why don't people put grease in coffee?" After figuring this out, I stopped watching it, with a sense of second-hand embarrassment for the people who had been tasked with filming this movie. The sense of humor on offer is similar to Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job, so fans of that might like it more than I did.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I think whether you'd like The Greasy Strangler or not pretty much hinges on how you feel about a scene like this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVRwIjIXVzM
The score's pretty rad either way, though.

Shotgun Stories is up on Amazon Prime now and it's good as hell.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Trying to figure out why I've never watched Longmire before now. Great show so far!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Girl With Extras Gifts started off strong and ended in the wettest fart I've seen in a long while.
to be fair it's the only way it could've gone really

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

I think whether you'd like The Greasy Strangler or not pretty much hinges on how you feel about a scene like this -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVRwIjIXVzM
The score's pretty rad either way, though.

Shotgun Stories is up on Amazon Prime now and it's good as hell.

:barf:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The Greasy Strangler can best be described as "Tim & Eric & John Waters." It's two very polarizing schools of comedy mashed together. Definitely not for everyone.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
If you really hate funny jokes, comedy, or decent movies I'd definitely recommend it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tim and Eric can occasionally be funny. Dr Steve Brule is hilarious. But it's such an obnoxious form of "comedy" that I've never seen anyone else pull off and that scene is no exception. poo poo, I don't think Tim and Eric even pull it off half the time but imitators just seem so lame.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tim and Eric really thrive with quick hits, that style of humor doesn't work well in a full-length movie form. I'd take The Greasy Strangler over Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie as a whole, but this is probably the best sequence in either of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdAy7GIMpTk

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Thanks to the people in the thread who recommended Love. Even though I feel a few of the character turns in the back half were rushed I very much enjoyed it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Love is more or less the exact thing you'd get if you told Wes Anderson to make Woody Allen movies. In a good way.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

10 Cloverfield Lane is up on Prime and is very good.

This is a really good, tense movie, if you guys haven't seen it. Definitely recommended.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

5 episodes in and it definitely holds up.

And so does the rest of it. Feel like I'm talking to myself here, but seriously this show is consistently side splittingly funny.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm watching it now, it's good. weird but good. it's like a shoegazey todd margaret ... idk. i'm on episode six

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rented Girl with all the Gifts. Can't say I loved it. Imo the whole thing was pretty middling and it was weird how much they ripped off The Last of Us.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rough Lobster posted:

This is a really good, tense movie, if you guys haven't seen it. Definitely recommended.
Just make sure to turn it off before you see anything outdoors

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Girl With Extras Gifts started off strong and ended in the wettest fart I've seen in a long while.

Was is the same as the novel?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Rented Girl with all the Gifts. Can't say I loved it. Imo the whole thing was pretty middling and it was weird how much they ripped off The Last of Us.

Wasn't the original short story written long before TLoU? I feel like I read it when I was a teenager, so like a decade ago.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I wholeheartedly endorse The Greasy Strangler, because freaking out the squares is something that's always worthwhile

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I wholeheartedly endorse The Greasy Strangler, because freaking out the squares is something that's always worthwhile

Agreed in word and deed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samfucius posted:

Wasn't the original short story written long before TLoU? I feel like I read it when I was a teenager, so like a decade ago.

Looks like it came out in 2014 so you must be thinking of something else.

Edit: oh the short story. Nm I have no idea.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 26, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

After having watched it last night, I agree.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I enjoy John Waters and Troma movies, but it just wasn't doing it for me. I guess maybe I'll give it another shot but the first 20 minutes (and that clip posted above) are really just bad, not freaky.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Looks like it came out in 2014 so you must be thinking of something else.

Edit: oh the short story. Nm I have no idea.

Yeah he turned a short story into a novel. I can't imagine it took him that long though, so if the book came out in 2014 I probably read the story around 2012 and wasn't a teenager.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I Don't feel at Home in This World Anymore is great and everyone should watch it pronto. Best thing I've watched on Netflix in a while.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I watched the first episode of Love because of you guys. It took to the last 30 seconds for Britta and Guy to even meet and I didn't really enjoy the ride there. You have all led me astray.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drunken officeparty posted:

I watched the first episode of Love because of you guys. It took to the last 30 seconds for Britta and Guy to even meet and I didn't really enjoy the ride there. You have all led me astray.

It's kind of a slow burn and you should give it at least 2 more episodes honestly.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I Don't feel at Home in This World Anymore is great and everyone should watch it pronto. Best thing I've watched on Netflix in a while.

I liked it and wanted to enjoy it more, but just felt like it fell short. Felt a bit like God Bless America in that everyone is a poo poo head, but obviously not over the top murder.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really? I thought the 2 main characters were great.

It reminded me a lot of a Coen Bros film but not in a plagiaristic way.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Check your emails if you're a Hulu subscriber, they just sent me a "just because" free month promo code.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Really? I thought the 2 main characters were great.

It reminded me a lot of a Coen Bros film but not in a plagiaristic way.

I liked Ruth and found her character interesting, but Tony felt so forced that it hurt the rest of the movie. Don't hate it, was just hoping more from it.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Mulholland Drive is on netflix for the David Lynch fans out there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Patriot on Amazon Prime might be the best television show I've seen since Rectify or The Americans. And oddly enough is kind of a cross between those shows, and also so much more. Just watch it because it is entirely indescribable, intensely serialized and essentially a 10 hour fantastic arty farty film that's also hilarious and deeply human and soul-crushing and quirky and even, ultimately, lovable.

It's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Slandible posted:

I liked Ruth and found her character interesting, but Tony felt so forced that it hurt the rest of the movie. Don't hate it, was just hoping more from it.

I could see how his cheesy nerd antics could rub someone the wrong way, but he grew on me quickly and I thought he was a likable oddball character, and he felt deeper than just the hair metal and ninja weapons. Plus imo Elijah Wood played the part well.

I'm honestly a little surprised there hasn't been more discussion about it here. It just seems like the kind of movie goons would love not to mention it's connections with forum favs Green Room/Blue Ruin.