Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Wait, do I have to do every side mission too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I am stupid, I didn't beat the last mission. It's a boat icon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Maybe it'll be DLC but as far as I can tell from the post-game fight Nobunaga ends the game just sort of out in the world being a chill bro. He's basically Dracula except seems content to just know he's better than everyone else.

His whole 'nothing should last forever' speech implied he suicided. Especially since you later meet him and his wife in the afterlife for the world's most nightmarish sparring session.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lol Jesus the very last level is stupid I have no idea where to go just going in circles

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Does anyone want to dick around and play with me while I go from uhh the story mission after Toad to whenever we stop

PSN is mein1gott

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

Does anyone want to dick around and play with me while I go from uhh the story mission after Toad to whenever we stop

PSN is mein1gott

Yeah sure. I'm gonna add you as a friend, want to set up a secret word? Let me know.

Edit: friend request sent

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 26, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Accepted. Now how do you go about summoning people into missions you're playing for the first time

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

Accepted. Now how do you go about summoning people into missions you're playing for the first time

Set a password and go to the shrine to summon companion.

Edit: I don't actually know if this will work, but I read that it might...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
It's not letting me set a password. When go to secrect word it won't scroll from off

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

verbal enema posted:

It's not letting me set a password. When go to secrect word it won't scroll from off

You have to do it in your network settings. I messaged you. Nioh is awesome and doesn't show PSN messgae notifications in game.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snak posted:

You have to do it in your network settings. I messaged you. Nioh is awesome and doesn't show PSN messgae notifications in game.

Nah it showed me yours but I feel like there is a delay idk

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Here is an extremely good video on the lore of Nioh. William is actually based on a real dude! :krad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLIccxZpd0

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Lol

I was like why's he dodging ohhh yeah that's what killed the last guy who was here

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yodzilla posted:

Maybe it'll be DLC but as far as I can tell from the post-game fight Nobunaga ends the game just sort of out in the world being a chill bro. He's basically Dracula except seems content to just know he's better than everyone else.

I'm not sure those postgame missions are canon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unfinish3d posted:

Here is an extremely good video on the lore of Nioh. William is actually based on a real dude! :krad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TLIccxZpd0

Just about every human character in Nioh is based on a real person. Well, loosely based, in some cases. It's pretty cool. In real life, William was a sailor but not a badass warrior by any means--he was a samurai because he was given land for his services as a translator and diplomat. Still, pretty cool story overall.

I want to read more about Yasuke, myself, though I know there's less historical record of him.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Fought Hanzo twice and got two smiting texts. Nice.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm about to finish off the second region (so pretty early in the game still) but aside from knowing that I'm after Kelly to get back my Spirit Guardian I have no loving idea what the plot is. And not in a Souls game sense, I feel that Nioh is trying to be upfront about everything but just kind of fails at not being really confusing. So many different people and clans I don't know who I'm working for or against.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I get the feeling that Nioh's plot was designed with the idea that the Japanese have a good idea of how the Warring States conflict went so they just broadstroke a ton of the events in between the cutscenes with that in mind but when it comes to foreigners we're just confused.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Deified Data posted:

The problem Souls faced is they kind of ran out of awesome world changing things after a while so eventually it felt like you were a spectator of nothing, or at least the same events over and over. Giving William more agency in Nioh was one of the changes I enjoyed and another thing that made the game feel fresh.

William doesn't have any agency really.

He has a goal but he just does whatever he is told and somehow it lines up for some reason.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Policenaut posted:

I get the feeling that Nioh's plot was designed with the idea that the Japanese have a good idea of how the Warring States conflict went so they just broadstroke a ton of the events in between the cutscenes with that in mind but when it comes to foreigners we're just confused.

To be honest even the events the main character should be involved in are glossed over.

This story is really, really weirdly put together.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Story is nonsense. I enjoy the little factoids in the load screens though. It's cool some of the areas are based on real places. I've actually cracked wikipedia open a few times while playing.

Edit: What's the deal with the spirit requirement? You can equip a spirit animal even if you don't meet the requirement. Are they just less powerful if you do that? Like equipping something in Souls when you don't meet the requirements?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 26, 2017

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

The Story is nonsense. I enjoy the little factoids in the load screens though. It's cool some of the areas are based on real places. I've actually cracked wikipedia open a few times while playing.

Edit: What's the deal with the spirit requirement? You can equip a spirit animal even if you don't meet the requirement. Are they just less powerful if you do that? Like equipping something in Souls when you don't meet the requirements?

You don't get certain passive bonuses if you don't have high enough spirit. It's similar to how armor has stat requirements.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Can I just farm normal mode Umi Bozu for Eyestones?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it's just a tour through the time period to meet all the famous people it's not that hard to understand

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

lets hang out posted:

it's just a tour through the time period to meet all the famous people it's not that hard to understand

Granted they don't do anything.

Also it's not that people don't understand it it's just really poorly written and directed.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Granted they don't do anything.

Also it's not that people don't understand it it's just really poorly written and directed.

It might not be your issue with it, and I followed fine, but several people have specifically stated in this thread that they can't understand the plot at all.

o.m. 95
Feb 15, 2017

Nioh is one of those games that you should read up about the Sengoku period and get a vibe for the big names of the era. The story is still weak and hard to follow but you'll be like ohhh poo poo it's my boy Iyeasu. basically it helps to know what a big deal some of the characters are beforehand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDsdkoln59A

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

By the way, most of the character models (Ieyasu, Hattori, Okatsu) are based (very accurately) on the famous Japanese actors who voice them in game.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm about to finish off the second region (so pretty early in the game still) but aside from knowing that I'm after Kelly to get back my Spirit Guardian I have no loving idea what the plot is. And not in a Souls game sense, I feel that Nioh is trying to be upfront about everything but just kind of fails at not being really confusing. So many different people and clans I don't know who I'm working for or against.

It's really pretty simple, and is laid out early on.

England has become one of the world's dominant naval powers, partly through the use of a magical crystal called Amrita. They sent out privateers to gather it, and then locked them up to preserve the secret of their success when their supplies started to run out - though not before they discovered a near-limitless Amrita source, the nation of Japan. William was one of those privateers, and the best at his job, thanks to his Amrita-sensing Guardian Spirit, Saorise (Guardian Spirits are benign magical creatures who attach themselves to humans who catch their interest and help them out). Edward Kelley, one of England's top agents (think James Bond meets Voldemort) was sent to Japan to scout the area and destabilise the political situation there so that England could roll in, conquer the locals, and set up Amrita mines across the country, thereby securing the power to rule the world. He takes along Saorise as a tool for locating and gathering Amrita to help him with this, and William follows him, hoping to get his oldest and best friend back.

When William arrives in Japan, he discovers that Kelley's been using the mutating powers of Amrita to sow chaos, weakening the barriers between worlds and bringing in the malevolent spirits of Japanese folklore, youkai, to wreak havoc. As one of the few who can actually see these things, William is uniquely suited to fighting them - especially since one of the other superpowers he got from his Guardian Spirit was resurrective immortality. There's the tail-end of the century-long civil war going on, with the last two great warlords, Tokugawa Ieyasu and Ishida Mitsunari, squaring off for one grand, final battle, and Ed has picked the weaker side, the Ishida faction, to lend a hand to in order to prolong and increase the mayhem, while cooking up various country-ending plots to sweep the board clean for England. William, meanwhile, is quickly snapped up by the Tokugawa faction after their spymaster, Hattori Hanzo, witnesses his abilities, and spends the rest of the game splitting his efforts between supporting the war effort to keep his new allies happy and tracking down Edward to get Saorise back.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

By the way, most of the character models (Ieyasu, Hattori, Okatsu) are based (very accurately) on the famous Japanese actors who voice them in game.

On a related note, I enjoy that Tecmo Koei has a single unified "look" for Nobunaga Oda that only slightly changes from game to game. So whether he's a demon king, a samurai warlord, an undead overlord, or a tiny cat he's got the same basic features established in Samurai Warriors.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The mustache is a must-have because the one western painting we have of him (which is just from memory) has him rocking the dad stache.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Belzac posted:

I've grabbed every smithing text I can think of but sitting at 89.8% completion. Anyone know of any I might have missed or should I chock it up to 100% completion bugs like my 99.6 title completion.
The Gold Nioh Armor smithing text bumped up that % for me, so it's possible there's unobtainable smithing texts currently. :saddowns:

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Harrow posted:

Just about every human character in Nioh is based on a real person. Well, loosely based, in some cases. It's pretty cool. In real life, William was a sailor but not a badass warrior by any means--he was a samurai because he was given land for his services as a translator and diplomat. Still, pretty cool story overall.

I want to read more about Yasuke, myself, though I know there's less historical record of him.

There's a pretty cool write up on him here.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

It's not really relevant to the game but yesterday I decided to embrace my inner William and make sushi with ginger & soy sauce dip and some sake to drink. I think I did okay making it!

Then I ended up playing Nioh all evening.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Policenaut posted:

On a related note, I enjoy that Tecmo Koei has a single unified "look" for Nobunaga Oda that only slightly changes from game to game. So whether he's a demon king, a samurai warlord, an undead overlord, or a tiny cat he's got the same basic features established in Samurai Warriors.

Nobunaga needs to look like that, everything else feels wrong. When was he a tiny cat?!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Nobunaga needs to look like that, everything else feels wrong. When was he a tiny cat?!

Here you go.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So if I have a weapon with "Change to attack (stamina) - A" is that the exact same as the obsidian armor 7 piece bonus? Or would I be able to double dip with both?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
I noticed something odd about the rifts that spawn yokai. They usually have little critters flying around the cloud that appears, and you can even shoot them before triggering the spawn.

It doesn't seem to do anything, but it's still fun to do anyway. :shrug:

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Fhqwhgads posted:

I refashion every helmet to the Nue Mask and it makes the cutscenes totally worth watching.

This is the correct thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
There's no way to make the NG+ version of missions play their cutscenes, is there? It's a bit disappointing that every cutscene is skipped since I sort of wanted to go back and look at the early plot now that I actually know who all these people are, who they work for, and what they're doing.