Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

The "they're both progressive" is the same old trick that was used during the dem primary, ignoring other factors about candidates which people are suspicious/uncertain about. It's a deflection imo cause I don't think most people who didn't like the result actually cared about Keith's or Perez's positions but what they represent, the direction of the party.

Interesting, so you think the people who voted in a way you disagreed with during the primary were tricked into doing so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nevvy Z posted:

"If this doesn't matter why I am still angry?" I dunno, maybe it's you, not the world though.

Meanwhile Ellison is deputy chair of the DNC and this vote was never as big a deal as certain people kept making it out to be.

So why did Obama, Biden, Jarrett, and like half a dozen other figures lobby for days and constantly pressure electors behind the scenes to try to suppress Ellison?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Xae posted:

It was two establishment progressives fighting it out.

Trying to paint either one of them as "not establishment" is incredibly disingenuous.

Yes and categorically no, respectively. All the person you responded to said was that Perez was the establishment favorite, which is true.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

SKULL.GIF posted:

So why did Obama, Biden, Jarrett, and like half a dozen other figures lobby for days and constantly pressure electors behind the scenes to try to suppress Ellison?

Let's start with what you mean by suppress. Or maybe we can be less hyperbolic

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Xae posted:

Again. You're trying to have it both ways.

Calling it a "trick" implies it is dishonest to call them both Progressives.

People's internal definition of "progressive" vary wildly so generally I'd say people would treat it as a spectrum or perhaps intensity when thinkin about it. Equating two people as both progressive as if they are the same is pretty meaningless. Hence the word trick.

Nevvy Z posted:

Interesting, so you think the people who voted in a way you disagreed with during the primary were tricked into doing so?

This is hella lazy.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 26, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

"If this doesn't matter why I am still angry?" I dunno, maybe it's you, not the world though.

Meanwhile Ellison is deputy chair of the DNC and this vote was never as big a deal as certain people kept making it out to be.

Even this thread has people popping in to say they're done with the dems. It's not just me that's angry, and that you keep trying to pretend it's just me shows how much you're denying reality. Likewise, your insistence that the anger is irrational is pretty blind considering that plenty of people have said why they are upset with Perez.

But being eternally wrong is just your nature, what with being a broken brained hillary supporter.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 26, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

Yes and categorically no, respectively. All the person you responded to said was that Perez was the establishment favorite, which is true.

From what I followed of the race it seemed to be between the Congressional Establishment backing Ellison and the Executive Establishment backing Perez.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I mean what kind of fool argues that Perez was a good choice and the election doesn't matter? It mattered enough to party leadership that they pushed an unqualified empty suit into the race. Certainly that indicates that this election did matter

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Condiv posted:

Even this thread has people popping in to say they're done with the dems. It's not just me that's angry, and that you keep trying to pretend it's just me shows how much you're denying reality. Likewise, your insistence that the anger is irrational is pretty blind considering that plenty of people have said why they are upset with Perez.

But being eternally wrong is just your nature, what with being a broken brained hillary supporter.

It's the same 8 people posting a thousand times. Also you're not a democrat

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Xae posted:

From what I followed of the race it seemed to be between the Congressional Establishment backing Ellison and the Executive Establishment backing Perez.

Maybe. How much is that?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

Excuse me sir I supported Bernie in the primary sorry I am not a big fan of trump, I guess you are if supporting Hillary is a bad thing.

It's not just you, but I'm not convinced that it's not just a small portion of you being incredibly loud. And get this, even if it's a lot of you and you all really care as much as the people in this thread, this particular event is still the dumbest thing to be raging about and it's obvious that everyone raging about it is using it as a proxy for the primary that they are still mad about, gently caress all that dumb rear end poo poo.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 26, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It's the same 8 people posting a thousand times. Also you're not a democrat

Yeah no. Why don't you go watch some of abuela's speeches and pretend she's president. Reality is obviously too much for you to handle.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

Excuse me sir I supported Bernie in the primary sorry I am not a big fan of trump. It's not just you, but I'm not convinced that it's not just a small portion of you being incredibly loud.

Yeah I'm sure you did nevvy :rolleyes:. Also you must be a trump supporter if you support dems pissing off their base needlessly when we're on the ropes. Even if you think the people angry about this are a small minority, dems just pissed them off to elect a candidate that was strictly inferior and no one but dem lobbyists wanted.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

Excuse me sir I supported Bernie in the primary sorry I am not a big fan of trump, I guess you are if supporting Hillary is a bad thing.

It's not just you, but I'm not convinced that it's not just a small portion of you being incredibly loud. And get this, even if it's a lot of you and you all really care as much as the people in this thread, this particular event is still the dumbest thing to be raging about and it's obvious that everyone raging about it is using it as a proxy for the primary that they are still mad about, gently caress all that dumb rear end poo poo.

The democrats already had their first post Trump electoral victory, but to spur on the glorious revolution we have to endlessly troll about conspiracies and the death of the Democratic Party

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

Yeah I'm sure you did nevvy :rolleyes:. Also you must be a trump supporter if you support dems pissing off their base needlessly when we're on the ropes. Even if you think the people angry about this are a small minority, dems just pissed them off to elect a candidate that was strictly inferior and no one but dem lobbyists wanted.

You are the dumbest guy. "supporting hillary over trump makes you a trump supporter" welcome to the ignore list. Enjoy your tantrum you massive loving crybaby. You don't even live here.

The democrats already had their first post Trump electoral victory, but to spur on the glorious revolution we have to endlessly troll about conspiracies and the death of the Democratic Party

How else can we show our true devotion to Bernie-Sama.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

Maybe. How much is that?

Quite a bit.

I had hoped Ellison would win, just to avoid this clusterfuck.

But I thought both Ellison and Perez would be good Chairmen.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Nevvy Z posted:

You are the dumbest guy. "supporting hillary over trump makes you a trump supporter" welcome to the ignore list.

loving rofl

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

You are the dumbest guy. "supporting hillary over trump makes you a trump supporter" welcome to the ignore list. Enjoy your tantrum you massive loving crybaby. You don't even live here.

You should probably learn to read before you call people dumb. I said that you being happy about Perez makes you a trump supporter cause only a trump supporter would be happy about the dems making GBS threads on their ever shrinking base.

Also, my family lives in America, and I'd like the country to not become more of a hellhole for them, as well as for myself once I return home.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheRat posted:

loving rofl

Read his words. That's what he said. Supporting Hillary in the face of trump is the only rational choice, and he's an irrational french person so really, gently caress what he thinks. This race was never as big a deal as people were pretending. The outcome is exactly the same either way except for a very small minority losing their poo poo, and the dem leadership was right not to give in to their posturing.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Read his words. That's what he said. Supporting Hillary in the face of trump is the only rational choice, and he's an irrational french person so really, gently caress what he thinks.

Nice meltdown. I'm sure feeling smugly superiour will do you a lot of good when the democrats crash and burn again.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheRat posted:

Nice meltdown. I'm sure feeling smugly superiour will do you a lot of good when the democrats crash and burn again.

How is that going to happen as a result of this vote, please elaborate.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

How is that going to happen as a result of this vote, please elaborate.

It shows the dems have learned nothing from the catastrofuck that was 2016.

E: The horrifically smug arrogance that you and people like you show in here is a large part of why people couldnt bring themselves to vote for Clinton. And the same smug arrogance will be your downfall again and again until you finally learn.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Xae posted:

Quite a bit.

I had hoped Ellison would win, just to avoid this clusterfuck.

But I thought both Ellison and Perez would be good Chairmen.

I think that fact actually has an exacerbating effect on most people who are upset with the vote's decision, aside from the actual mechanics of the process, and how that one guy had the worst loving response to people calling him and advocating for Ellison, it seems like people really are upset by how the Democratic party have tried to both downplay the vote's importance, and point out that both were good options. I think it comes off as a little, hm, paternal? Or patronizing?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Condiv posted:

You should probably learn to read before you call people dumb. I said that you being happy about Perez makes you a trump supporter cause only a trump supporter would be happy about the dems making GBS threads on their ever shrinking base.

Also, my family lives in America, and I'd like the country to not become more of a hellhole for them, as well as for myself once I return home.

Any moron can see that by base you mean the small faction that supports your very specific worldview. Any moron can also see that the many millions of democrats who voted means the base is fine and growing. Maybe you just have trouble seeing reality through your telescope as you watch American politics from the alps

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheRat posted:

It shows the dems have learned nothing from the catastrofuck that was 2016.

And... then what?

Ellison is deputy, they were already similar... what's the result that is worse for dems?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

I'm not French nevvy. You're an idiot.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

And... then what?

Ellison is deputy, they were already similar... what's the result that is worse for dems?

I wish you good fortune in the elections to come :)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nevvy Z posted:

And... then what?

when the apparently brain dead morons that decided a kick to a dick for no reason what so ever was a great idea botch 2018 and 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheRat posted:

I wish you good fortune in the elections to come :)

Raskolnikov38 posted:

when the apparently brain dead morons that decided a kick to a dick for no reason what so ever was a great idea botch 2018 and 2020

It's very interesting that neither of you can elaborate further on how that happens as a result of the recent vote.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nevvy Z posted:

It's very interesting that neither of you can elaborate further on how that happens as a result of the recent vote.

well if i could tell the future i'd be using it to buy lotto tickets

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

I don't enjoy repetition. The arguments have all been made in here many many times, and you and yours have smugly derided or ignored them many many times.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Any moron can see that by base you mean the small faction that supports your very specific worldview. Any moron can also see that the many millions of democrats who voted means the base is fine and growing. Maybe you just have trouble seeing reality through your telescope as you watch American politics from the alps

I'm sure pissing off any fraction of our rapidly shrinking base is a good strategy when the dems are nearing extinction. I mean we're in a good position after 2016 right? Republicans can nearly call a constitutional convention on their own, but that's just a sign out base is bigger than ever right?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheRat posted:

I don't enjoy repetition. The arguments have all been made in here many many times, and you and yours have smugly derided or ignored them many many times.

You can't even quote them? Intersting.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

You can't even quote them? Intersting.

I'm sorry. I'm not clever or confident enough to match up to this level of smugness.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Condiv posted:

I'm sure pissing off any fraction of our rapidly shrinking base is a good strategy when the dems are nearing extinction. I mean we're in a good position after 2016 right? Republicans can nearly call a constitutional convention on their own, but that's just a sign out base is bigger than ever right?

Yea the democrats are in a very good position for those elections. Unless you think Trump and the GOP will magically increase the economies growth to 3% (or more) or not screw everyone on healthcare which they inevitably will.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

I think that fact actually has an exacerbating effect on most people who are upset with the vote's decision, aside from the actual mechanics of the process, and how that one guy had the worst loving response to people calling him and advocating for Ellison, it seems like people really are upset by how the Democratic party have tried to both downplay the vote's importance, and point out that both were good options. I think it comes off as a little, hm, paternal? Or patronizing?

Or maybe I just thought that they were both good candidates?

I think either one would do fine as DNC chair, but I recognized that Ellison's backers were more likely to get upset if he lost.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Any moron can also see that the many millions of democrats who voted means the base is fine and growing.

lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I am pretty skeptical both the Democrats or Republicans can self correct at this point and the current silent (or not so silent) political crisis the US is experiencing is only going to get worse. Third parties can't effect major state/federal level change in the US simply based on our electoral system and state level political mechanics. I think someone like Sawant is about best case scenario.

Furthermore, a independent political pressure group (especially a left-leaning one) would have to be willing to stay home to have any real leverage which is probably not going to happen either.

I don't think the difference between Ellison and Perez was that drastic, but there was some daylight on key issues (trade, lobbying, Israel...arguably finance). My honest hope wasn't that Ellison would be a secret leftist, but that it would give a small opening to balance its traditionalist-centrist wing. In the end, even that small opening proved impossible.

That said, I kind of see the Democrats and the US as a whole running out of time. While the long-held hope has been demographics will be enough to stabilize the Democrats, it doesn't seem to be working at either the state or federal level. Moreover, the GOP is only going further right and more openly authoritarian.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Lol all you want. 65 million people voted and very area specific results decided the election. Next election, with less scandal and demographic changes pressing on we can envision more than 65 million quite easily. If you want to pretend available data on voting and party affiliation don't exist for the benefit of your chicken-littling then go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Xae posted:

Or maybe I just thought that they were both good candidates?

I think either one would do fine as DNC chair, but I recognized that Ellison's backers were more likely to get upset if he lost.

I don't really understand how you read that as a comment on you.

• Locked thread