Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I only buy sequels if they have the word "origins" or "revelations" in the title, otherwise I just don't know what the heck I'm getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I bought Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver on Dreamcast for no other reason than that it sounded cool as heck to my 14-year old self, and I wasn't wrong.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shadows of Mordor II: More Dour Shadows

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

gently caress you russia gently caress you

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

an actual dog posted:

How about Shadow of Mordor 2. Was that so hard?

Shadow of More-dor

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Shadows of Mordor

Worked for Aliens!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Harrow posted:

See, and those things appeal to me (well, obviously not the frame rate drops but you know what I mean), so Breath of the Wild is absolutely something I'm going to pick up. I'm one of those whiners who's really tired of the formulaic 3D Zeldas so Breath of the Wild breaking the mold so aggressively excites me a lot.

Frame drops appeal to me if they happen during explosions in schmups from the 90s.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

exquisite tea posted:

I bought Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver on Dreamcast for no other reason than that it sounded cool as heck to my 14-year old self, and I wasn't wrong.

:hellyeah: that game was the poo poo!

That intro gave me chills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOKzTHaPfM

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah Soul Reaver has one of the best intros ever. And the game is pretty decent too.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

A podcast I listen to regularly did an episode about the game and they said it was really bad, and these are guys I trust, but I also trust you guys, so I'm kinda stuck in this bubble of not knowing what to think about Soul Reaver while also not wanting to play it myself, it's gamer limbo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's on GOG for pretty cheap but it was before standardised third person controls on PC so they're a bit all over the place.
Also those podcast guys suck

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
my mate complained that soul reaver was less about reaving souls and more about solving puzzles

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Soul Reaver owns

I remember when I was a kid I was legitimately shocked at how gory it was

it's not quite how I remember it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe you guys should replay it with adult fingers and thumbs

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's also a PS1 classic on PSN if you don't want to mess with ancient PC ports and just want it to work with a controller.

Edit: And you also have a PS3, I guess.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

It's also a PS1 classic on PSN if you don't want to mess with ancient PC ports and just want it to work with a controller.

Edit: And you also have a PS3, I guess.

yeah i don'teven think you can get it onto a vita without a ps3 but i might be wrong.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe you guys should replay it with adult fingers and thumbs

I was technically an adult when it first came out

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Greetings friends.

Just finished Yakuza 0, which obviously rules, but what also rules is Out Run, which I've logged a lot of time into within the game.

What are your hot tips for Out Run so I can apply these skills to the arcade and destroy the high score at the bar near my apartment.

Also I made a thing because it makes me smile every time

http://imgur.com/arFvnWv

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

suikoden 4 is coming to PS......3

i will probably get it at some point because i dont care if its the worst and also 3 feels like the worst on account of its awful framerate and general "early PS2-era" issues

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

suikoden 4 is coming to PS......3

i will probably get it at some point because i dont care if its the worst and also 3 feels like the worst on account of its awful framerate and general "early PS2-era" issues

Have fun with sub-windwaker sailing speed on a map with three continents (spread out into the corners) and random battles, I guess.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm going to see the Pixies in September in Toronto. Holy poo poo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Help Im Alive posted:

Soul Reaver owns

I remember when I was a kid I was legitimately shocked at how gory it was

it's not quite how I remember it

Something that they unfortunately removed from the sequels were all the environmental kills. Throwing vampires onto a bed of curiously placed spears, burning them in water, disintegrating them in rays of light. Good times.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Those are all valid criticisms of S3 but otoh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-k7X38ZcnE

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

A podcast I listen to regularly did an episode about the game and they said it was really bad, and these are guys I trust, but I also trust you guys, so I'm kinda stuck in this bubble of not knowing what to think about Soul Reaver while also not wanting to play it myself, it's gamer limbo

Greetings, fellow Watch Out For Fireballs listener. :hfive:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I have a GOG copy of Soul Reaver that I tried to play, but it wouldn't register my controller properly for some reason and it's a real slog to play with a keyboard. I only managed maybe the first half an hour, but I was struck by how puzzle gamey it was, where there are enemies but the way to kill them is by throwing them on environmental hazards.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

StrixNebulosa posted:

guys I did it: I found the ultimate how to cook video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkaIoH6Um60

I hope Cook Serve Delicious 2 is exactly like this

I just don't understand the point of making videos like this when you're going to fake everything, and so obviously.

Help Im Alive posted:

idk it's probably hard to come up with video game titles that don't sound generic

I had a good video game title and then a lovely mobile game done stole it.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 26, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They could have just called it Shadows of Mordor 2. I mean, it's still set in loving Mordor, somehow the blandest setting you could have for an open world game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
shadow of wardor

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Red Bones posted:

I have a GOG copy of Soul Reaver that I tried to play, but it wouldn't register my controller properly for some reason and it's a real slog to play with a keyboard. I only managed maybe the first half an hour, but I was struck by how puzzle gamey it was, where there are enemies but the way to kill them is by throwing them on environmental hazards.

Download controller companion for $2 on Steam and Soul Reaver will work like a charm with any XBox gamepad. Not only that game but also any oldschool title that no longer has controller support.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Download controller companion for $2 on Steam and Soul Reaver will work like a charm with any XBox gamepad. Not only that game but also any oldschool title that no longer has controller support.

I only have a PS4 controller, sadly. I used Inputmapper and it was registering the inputs but if I wasn't touching anything Raziel would just walk to the left forever. It made platforming, uh, difficult.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i never played soul reaver 1 but soul reaver 2 was the tits. i think the second is a lot more straightfoward than 1 which is kinda puzzly and even somewhat metroidish i think? whatever the final game was called was also pretty good even if they clearly rushed the story to get it over with. i remember being hung up on the cliffhanger ending of 2 for years

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

Shadows of Mordor

Shadow of Mordors :aaaaa:

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Real talk, Shadow of Mordor loving owns and it's nemesis system really needs to be used in other games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Shadow of More-dor

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

being a slain vampire-turned-tool of an eldritch god is sick as hell and soul reaver is cool

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm going to see the Pixies in September in Toronto. Holy poo poo.

The fact that their new album ended up being amazing and not a flaming pile of horse poo poo is still shocking my monkey

Like when the Dinosaur Jr. reunion turned out good albums you could say "well duh, Lou Barlow turns everything he touches to gold" but the last couple Frank Black solo albums and that bizarrely bad Breeders reunion were dirty

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

precision posted:

The fact that their new album ended up being amazing and not a flaming pile of horse poo poo is still shocking my monkey

Like when the Dinosaur Jr. reunion turned out good albums you could say "well duh, Lou Barlow turns everything he touches to gold" but the last couple Frank Black solo albums and that bizarrely bad Breeders reunion were dirty

Dinosaur Jr. might be the only good reunion I can think of, in terms of making good studio records. Reunions in music tend to be awful. I've actually been really hesitant to listen to the new Pixies record because I haven't heard good things. However, Doolittle and Surfer Rosa are loving amazing, and I've heard they're still on point live. I may try it now, though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BillBear posted:

Real talk, Shadow of Mordor loving owns and it's nemesis system really needs to be used in other games.

Mafia III could have benefited from the Nemesis system

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Scott Forstall posted:

seems like the follow up to the Middle Earth game might have gotten leaked on some retailers, with box art and full dlc names?

http://intl.target.com/s?searchTerm=Middle%20Earth%3A%20Shadow%20of%20War#sn-52315106

The smartest way to announce DLC for your game is to have it planned so far in advance the public is more aware of it than they are of what's in the actual game that hasn't been officially announced yet.

Didn't this happen before with an Ubisoft game? Like maybe Far Cry 4?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Mafia III could have benefited from the Nemesis system

And way less just cause district structure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are there stats on what percentage of people buy DLC/season passes? I guess it's obviously enough to be worth it since every dev does it but I think I've bought DLC for like 6 games ever

• Locked thread