Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

zen seems to be targeting that ever growing juggernaut of the PC market, home desktop PCs

without ecc support they're worthless for actual workstations or entry level servers, so i guess going for the biggest markets of 2003, the last time amd was even remotely relevant, makes sense

not exactly the market of the future, but i think the "enthusiast" crowd still exists and is very prepared to go with anything that seems a bit flashier than intels offerings. i expect they can make some quick cash there, and then longer term get another go at servers going

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
had a guy at work yesterday tell me that amd has alaways been great, intel just rigs the press and market against amd

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
it's true, amd sux = FAKE NEWS!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

A Pinball Wizard posted:

had a guy at work yesterday tell me that amd has alaways been great, intel just rigs the press and market against amd

i fully believe you, i remember back in 2012 i used to work with a guy who was planning on going AMD for a new desktop because he was some weird company fanboy. he also insisted that Apple made a huge mistake in switching away from PowerPC.

this was also the same guy who bragged about needlessly assaulting someone as a night watchman at some apartment complex, complained about how he used to own his own security business but "the insurance costs got too high", and also admitted that he used to work for TSA but somehow managed to get fired. obviously not firing on all gates there.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

what's it called when you are a barometer for all things bad when you are always first adopter for really bad tech?

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

pagancow posted:

what's it called when you are a barometer for all things bad when you are always first adopter for really bad tech?

the verge editors

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

not exactly the market of the future, but i think the "enthusiast" crowd still exists and is very prepared to go with anything that seems a bit flashier than intels offerings. i expect they can make some quick cash there, and then longer term get another go at servers going

the enthusiast crowd is approximately a rounding error in the PC market

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
seriously though, who is this product for? you have a dozen cores but can't support high memory densities. what's the advantage of having 8 cores for a basic desktop? nothing is multithreaded enough to take advantage of that until you start getting to specialized workloads that you'd want an actual workstation for

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The two people who stream for a living who don't have Intel chips already.

This is ignoring the bigger reality, that basically all computers sold today are laptops.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Paul MaudDib posted:

same

the Athlon 5350 is pretty much unchallenged in its role of "CPU/motherboard combo I can buy for $40" and it makes an OK shitbox HTPC or fileserver

little known fact, it even has ECC support and there is even a motherboard that has it hooked up, shame it's mATX instead of something useful like mITX or full ATX

fake edit though it looks like Microcenter no longer carries it, and Zen doesn't support ECC, so welp there went my interest in AMD products

r u ready to WALK posted:

That's dumb, I guess they don't want to cannibalise sales of the Naples server CPU line that launches later this year

I built my zfs home server around the AMD FX-8350 in 2013 along with 32GB of cheap ECC memory and that thing has been rock solid and quite needs suiting. It's annoying to have a space heater running 24/7 during the summer but in winter you need that extra 100 watts of heating anyway.

flamewar incoming:

if you are building a home zfs box you don't need to ecc ram :colbert:

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

uhh am i missing something or doesnt ryzen like all non-apu amd chips support ecc

some >>gAmEr<< motherboards may not so that you can run 2968987mhz ram with cas 17.3234 but just lol if you dont order the most boring bulk tray green pcb ecc ram for all your boxen

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
uh, excuse me but as an ~enthusiast~ i only buy ram that was tested in a wind tunnel, is named after a death metal album, and looks vaguely like a rake or some other gardening implement

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

vodkat posted:

flamewar incoming:

if you are building a home zfs box you don't need to ecc ram :colbert:

how does zfs protect your in memory dirty pages from bit flips?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

uh, excuse me but as an ~enthusiast~ i only buy ram that was tested in a wind tunnel, is named after a death metal album, and looks vaguely like a rake or some other gardening implement

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

this is their strategy. the enthusiast market are the beta testers for the server chips that will be released later this year. they don't want to be pushing microcode updates to servers to fix bugs, or even worse sending out chips with a subtle design flaw. it's a new architecture and a new process, so there's going to be bugs to iron out

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my ram has a picture of a boat on it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
is it some kind of vampire boat on a sea of blood with skulls and pentagrams and poo poo on it? if so then you have chosen your ram correctly

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Tokamak posted:

this is their strategy. the enthusiast market are the beta testers for the server chips that will be released later this year. they don't want to be pushing microcode updates to servers to fix bugs, or even worse sending out chips with a subtle design flaw. it's a new architecture and a new process, so there's going to be bugs to iron out

the chips go to enthusiasts first because it takes time to get the yields up and you can't start selling into the server market until you can produce them in volume. also lol if you think the chips they ship don't have design flaws.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the flaw is theyre amd lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

seriously though, who is this product for? you have a dozen cores but can't support high memory densities. what's the advantage of having 8 cores for a basic desktop? nothing is multithreaded enough to take advantage of that until you start getting to specialized workloads that you'd want an actual workstation for

lol have you read the amd thread in sh/sc? there are people who are irl mad that 8+ cores isn't already commonplace on desktops and that those lazy developers aren't already coding games to just get better performance with as many cores as you can throw at them. i can't quite tell how much of it is ignorance and how much of it is the perverse compulsion to spend money on new computers each year that have more/bigger numbers than last year's model.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i can't quite tell how much of it is ignorance and how much of it is the perverse compulsion to spend money on new computers each year that have more/bigger numbers than last year's model.

it's both

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the kind of people who buy amd because 'MORE CORES!!!!' are the same people who will never, ever be happy playing games because they'll always know in their hearts that they can eke out another 1 fps if they *just* adjust this slider correctly

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I frequently do things at work that can use as many cores as you can throw at them. at home not so much.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i want a cool new feature or else intel will have to be happy with me buying a new $200ish i5 every 10 years it looks like.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

I frequently do things at work that can use as many cores as you can throw at them. at home not so much.

lol if you aren't transcoding the most artistinal high definition anime dog tits constantly

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

hifi posted:

i want a cool new feature or else intel will have to be happy with me buying a new $200ish i5 every 10 years it looks like.

maybe HP will finally release their memristor-based stuff and we can ascend to the fourth level of computation

or intel will just release another 14nm cpu with 5% higher clocks and ray kurzweil will finally accept that his stupid loving predictions that theyll be able to simulate his brain before he dies are not going to happen

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
we must ascend from these prisons of flesh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

sure, and presumably since this is your job, you have an actual workstation to do it on. one with ecc ram that isn't riced out to infinity with mad overclocks

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hifi posted:

intel would need to have competition before they get off their rear end and do something. post a thread if that ever happens.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Coremad

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

coremad mcshartys the amd road

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

maybe HP will finally release their memristor-based stuff and we can ascend to the fourth level of computation

or intel will just release another 14nm cpu with 5% higher clocks and ray kurzweil will finally accept that his stupid loving predictions that theyll be able to simulate his brain before he dies are not going to happen

tbf i think we could have managed a computer simulation of kurzweils brain which was good enough for all practical purposes at any point since 1973

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

tbf i think we could have managed a computer simulation of kurzweils brain which was good enough for all practical purposes at any point since 1973

that's two years too early

Pet Rock wasn't introduced until 1975

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

sure, and presumably since this is your job, you have an actual workstation to do it on. one with ecc ram that isn't riced out to infinity with mad overclocks

or a server in the basement for all your Core needs.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Silver Alicorn posted:

we must ascend from these prisons of flesh

amd you will know us by the trail of the brain dead

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
and on the other end, the Atom C3000 was finally officially announced so I guess my next FreeNAS box is going to have to wait until that because I'll be hosed if I can't have 40 gigabits of bandwidth in my household anime server

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

The Management posted:

On the flip-side, only a handful of tools in our work CAD software are multithreaded and they're all the esoteric new ones that have been added in the last few years. Your basic everyday tools are still single-thread because they're the oldest and I imagine the codebase behind it all makes Excel look like a paragon of excellence.

It sure is great watching it peg my 8-core workstation at 12.5% processor use while doing anything. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

lol no they gave up on "the machine" as a memristor based thing and made it some piece of linux software

• Locked thread