Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

jfood posted:

Well... we know who's not gonna be slaying dragons and making it into Valhalla.

:goonsay: Neither dragons nor Valhalla exist, so no one will be doing either of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The published numbers of dreadnoughts tell us that ships much smaller and more immediately important than these are hideously expensive so it's not believable that people (especially humans) would spend money on this when they the vast majority of our own galaxy to explore and find new species and resources at much lower cost. Plus the past lore making long haul interstellar travel away from fuel hubs unrealistic.

Humans have 6 dreadnoughts, the Turians have 37, Asair 21, and Salarians 16. Humans want to be a Council race, be taken seriously, and not get wiped out by the Batarians or the council if things go south. There is no way they let people dump resources into building something like this.

Ah yes, as we know, no one in this setting creates large projects without the express permission of their government. That's why mercenary armies are legal and everything that happens on Noveria is closely supervised by Space OSHA.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Yes, but those journeys weren't six hundred years away.

Travelling to another galaxy is so far outside any experience in the entirety of every ME sentient species that it becomes ridiculous as an idea.

So was traveling to the moon 100 years ago

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

BrianWilly posted:

They've been researching the Andromeda galaxy already. Just like how NASA today just found a bunch of potentially-habitable planets by looking through their science computers, the Andromeda Initiative know what habitable planets are supposed to be there.

The first mission of the game is you arriving at one of those habitable planets to find that something has gone wrong with it. But that doesn't mean they had "zero information" about it in the first place.

those planets are only 40 lights years away. Technically we could (not with any telescopes we have now or will have for, like, 100 years) look at Andromeda and see "resource rich planets" but that light/radio waves/whatever is 2.5 million years old. That data would be basically useless for figuring if a place was worth sending an expedition to. that doesn't mean you don't go, but i will notice and then forget pretty quickly if these super mild issues aren't addressed in Mass Effect: Shoot Mans and gently caress Friends 4.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Firebert posted:

So was traveling to the moon 100 years ago

Motherfucker, does it take six hundred years to broadcast live footage of the moon landings?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I can't believe that King Charles V of France's mission to the Moon succeeded.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Motherfucker, does it take six hundred years to broadcast live footage of the moon landings?
You seem incredibly upset that no one else really cares about this HUGE PLOT HOLE you've discovered.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

This isn't being done for the edification of people on earth you moron

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Firebert posted:

This isn't being done for the edification of people on earth you moron

*builds a massive starship, sends it to another galaxy loaded with thousands of people*

psssh, nothing personal, kid

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

"President of the Andromeda Initiative, why did you do it?"

"Well, we certainly didn't do it for the moral or intellectual instruction or improvement of someone!"

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
lol you are dense as gently caress

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The andromeda initiative sounds kinda silly at first, but starts making more and more sense the more you think about it.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

This Andromeda Initiative is so unrealistic and crazy that I will be unable to enjoy playing my character that can create gravity wells and explode them with their mind.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In regards to exploring the other habitable planets within the Milky Way itself: presumably there are people trying to do that anyway. But this game isn't about them. This game is about the ones who aren't doing that. Here's a wacky idea to ponder: both can actually happen.

Also, 600 years might sound like an indescribably long time to you, you anthropomorphic bag of dicks, but it's easily within the lifetimes of other races like Asari and Krogan.

Admiral Ray posted:

those planets are only 40 lights years away. Technically we could (not with any telescopes we have now or will have for, like, 100 years) look at Andromeda and see "resource rich planets" but that light/radio waves/whatever is 2.5 million years old. That data would be basically useless for figuring if a place was worth sending an expedition to. that doesn't mean you don't go, but i will notice and then forget pretty quickly if these super mild issues aren't addressed in Mass Effect: Shoot Mans and gently caress Friends 4.
Supposition: There is technology in the Mass Effect universe that allows you to gather data from other galaxies in real-time.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 27, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Checkmate, Eartheists :smug:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Do people really believe that there could have been a sequel to the Shepard Trilogy, given all of the possible endings to everything (Genophage Cured with Wrex, Genophage not cured with Wreav, Quarians dead and Geth wiped out with Destory, Quarians and Geth alive and advanced with Synthsis, etc) and not have a vocal outcry to any sort of 'cop-out' to give a standardized beginning to this new game set after the Shepard Trilogy?

edit:

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

This Andromeda Initiative is so unrealistic and crazy that I will be unable to enjoy playing my character that can create gravity wells and explode them with their mind.

This human gets it!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Do people really believe that there could have been a sequel to the Shepard Trilogy, given all of the possible endings to everything (Genophage Cured with Wrex, Genophage not cured with Wreav, Quarians dead and Geth wiped out with Destory, Quarians and Geth alive and advanced with Synthsis, etc) and not have a vocal outcry to any sort of 'cop-out' to give a standardized beginning to this new game set after the Shepard Trilogy?

Nope. My preference would have been to drop Mass Effect as a setting entirely and just make Andromeda a new sci-fi setting.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Also we don't even know when they scouted out the 'golden worlds'. It's likely that the data was gathered an AI or by people on the Nexus who were woken up a couple years prior to the opening of the game, as the flotilla was entering the Andromeda galaxy. Both of these would be possible without any new technology.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I'm maybe out of date with my lore but I thought the Andromeda Initiative was a bunch of Arks sent to another Galaxy to preserve the species in case the Reapers were real and won?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Halloween Jack posted:

Ah yes, as we know, no one in this setting creates large projects without the express permission of their government. That's why mercenary armies are legal and everything that happens on Noveria is closely supervised by Space OSHA.

Yes, (beyond) state of the art ship building on an unprecedented scale with massive technology, resource and manpower inputs is the same as low level scrub tier stuff scattered around the fringe areas.

But yes, Cerberus built a tiny stealth ship once years after the prototype was built by a government it had thoroughly infiltrated.

doingitwrong posted:

I'm maybe out of date with my lore but I thought the Andromeda Initiative was a bunch of Arks sent to another Galaxy to preserve the species in case the Reapers were real and won?

No, that would make sense and justify the expense (if you accepted the wisdom of despair and assumed the resources weren't better spent trying to save the species in the Milky Way), so Bioware said that had nothing to do with it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

Supposition: There is technology in the Mass Effect universe that allows you to gather data from other galaxies in real-time.

Nah, they didn't have that poo poo to warn them about the Reapers invading (hence why Earth was taken by surprise), still had to rely on lovely regular LIDAR and RADAR and stuff.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
"I don't understand economics, non-sperg psychology, or incentives, nor have I bothered to read the Mass Effect codex. But I had $10 for a SA account and $60 for this game, ask me why the concept of the Andromeda Initiative totally makes sense."

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

No, it was started before anyone knew the reapers existed, probably by Asari Bill Gates.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Admiral Ray posted:

Nah, they didn't have that poo poo to warn them about the Reapers invading (hence why Earth was taken by surprise), still had to rely on lovely regular LIDAR and RADAR and stuff.
Reapers aren't exactly planets. And they were hiding.

Like, by this line of thought, the Alliance should've been able to find the Reapers by the time they made it to Pluto because we can observe Pluto.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
okay yes logically speaking the andromeda initiative is super dumb

but also who the gently caress cares it's more mass effect. handwave that poo poo.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Excited for this game so much. So is my daughter Liara and son Garrus

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What if the big twist in the game is that the people in the Andromeda Initiative were lied to???

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want to biotic charge and then smash things with my big hammer

gently caress off with your plot

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

No, no, I mean when Earth was invaded. They knew the Reapers would be coming from the Batarian Relay-Arcturus Relay but had no forewarning, which means any space magic surveillance gear would have to be Andromeda Initiative only. If there's any time forewarning would be nice it'd be when you know the Reapers are real and they're coming.

anyway, this is a nitpick about physics in a setting where physics is stupid and doesn't matter. i just hope there's some lampshading in game about it.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 27, 2017

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Firebert posted:

The reason why the number of dreadnoughts is low is because their numbers are kept low by treaty. There's no evidence that humanity has 8 dreadnoughts because they can't afford to build more just that they were not allowed to.

Humanity are explicitly building ships of Dreadnought level power that are not classified as Dreadnoughts to do an end run around that treaty.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Like, by this line of thought, the Alliance should've been able to find the Reapers by the time they made it to Pluto because we can observe Pluto.

Well, yes, actually.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardetect.php

quote:

As of 2013, the Voyager 1 space probe is about 18 billion kilometers away from Terra and its radio signal is a pathetic 20 watts (or about as dim as the light bulb in your refrigerator). But as faint as it is, the Green Bank telescope can pick it out from the background noise in one second flat.

This is with current off-the-shelf technology. Presumably future technology would be better.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Seemlar posted:

Humanity are explicitly building ships of Dreadnought level power that are not classified as Dreadnoughts to do an end run around that treaty.

Yep, specifically by going back to the Washington Naval Treaty. We can't build battleships anymore? Fine, we'll build carriers instead.

Not that carriers ever appeared in the series.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Drifter posted:

^^^ - t'weren't me who applied human standards of fashion onna alien cats, ya weapon.

If they're black the Daayder is still white, it just means he adopted them. :whatup:

Even mega-embarrassment Dragon Age 2 made Hawke's family match the skin tone/etc. you went with so I'd be surprised if that doesn't happen here.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I was just saying it's all plausible in the scope of a sci-fi story. And then the autism erupted in the thread. So I'm just going with the much better answer below...

jfood posted:

"The maps say 'here be dragons'."

"Well, let's go slay some loving dragons."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

precision posted:

What if the big twist in the game is that the people in the Andromeda Initiative were lied to???

Instead of being sent to a distant galaxy, they were sent to an isolated and unmapped cluster, safely insulated from literally everything about the ME3 ending and all things Reaper and Cerberus.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

It'd be quite the twist if it turned out the AI was really a money laundering scheme/feudal lord aspiration and Dad Ryder was just a two bit merc that lied about being N7 to his kids their whole lives.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think it's the 600 year gap that is throwing people off.

It's one thing to explore and be there and back in 2, 5, 10, 12 years and another to just get to where you're going in 600 years.

This is why I believe it wouldn't have been Cerberus, and more Just the Asari who then opened their doors to the other races for technology and money's sake (and also for the fuckin').

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Drifter posted:

(and also for the fuckin').

That's supported by the lore, right? Like Purebred Asari are more likely to be all hosed up Ardat-Yakshi?

So the rest of us are along for the ride to be sex cattle to prevent the Asari from going all Hapsburg in the new galaxy?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alien Sex Cattle is my band name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Admiral Ray posted:

It'd be quite the twist if it turned out the AI was really a money laundering scheme/feudal lord aspiration and Dad Ryder was just a two bit merc that lied about being N7 to his kids their whole lives.

I fully expect the line "Wait a minute... this isn't Andromeda! to be in the game somewhere, probably within the last 10 minutes of the game. Like it's gonna turn out you got sent back in time. I also predict you'll land on Thedas at some point.

marshmallow creep posted:

Alien Sex Cattle is my band name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hNc9d3KUy0