Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wouldn't the sawdust insulation continue to settle so in a few years you have the top half of the all with no insulation at all anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FCKGW posted:

Wouldn't the sawdust insulation continue to settle so in a few years you have the top half of the all with no insulation at all anymore?

Just collect drier lint, leaves, twigs, and other types of kindling from around the house and jam it in there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Just collect drier lint, leaves, twigs, and other types of kindling from around the house and jam it in there.

Pump the dryer exhaust directly into the walls IMO

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FCKGW posted:

I believe you'd have a compensatory effect from the gradual buildup of termite mounds.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Yes. I've torn down a few old walls and there's always like a twenty-centimetre layer of sawdust on the bottom where it used to go all the way up.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
What the gently caress

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

~upcycling~

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol they could have just used it for two weeks to get that distressed antique paint look without the effort.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If a time traveller pops out of that thing, run.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yes. I've torn down a few old walls and there's always like a twenty-centimetre layer of sawdust on the bottom where it used to go all the way up.

Wait, where are you finding walls full of sawdust?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slugworth posted:

The problem is that they aren’t full of sawdust.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
To be fair to that terrible idea, they said the walls would be full of wood wool, not just plain ol sawdust.

Less problem settling, even more flammable! :supaburn:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slugworth posted:

That sounds like homesteader houses from the end of the 19th/start of the 20th century. So I'm sure it's not too uncommon for that time period.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Old walls usually come with, you know, old houses.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Do you ever look at a project and just want to punch someone in the mouth?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Look at those towels, dude. The people who own those towels have enough troubles in their life as it is.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

That sounds like homesteader houses from the end of the 19th/start of the 20th century. So I'm sure it's not too uncommon for that time period.

This awesome video about traditional Finnish log cabin construction also shows them using sawdust for insulation (and tarry rope for filling gaps, oh and they built the entire thing using just axes, saws, and a hand drill).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Look at those towels, dude. The people who own those towels have enough troubles in their life as it is.

I wish you hadnt pointed those out. The doortable captured all my attention the first time.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

~Coxy posted:

We're even going to have brick-laying robots building our houses Real Soon Now™!

Laying our streets too!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well, the nice thing about having sawdust insulation and no plumbing is that you can just poo poo in the walls and everything will be just fine!*

Even better, it will all compost down, providing radiant heat, then at the end of it all you'll have fancy rammed-earth walls you can grow a vertical garden in!

I should probably stop before I give someone ideas. This whole thing is starting to sound like some clever clogs' deadly DIY reclaimed materials project.

Something similar is actually a thing. You put a big glass tube in the middle of the house through the roof and open to the sky, throw in a bunch of manure, then your poop tube will keep your house warm... for awhile.

Slugworth posted:

Look up cellulose insulation. It's really old but has been making a comeback in recent years.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Platystemon posted:

Bricks don’t grow on trees.

Yeah, but they're common as dirt.

It's like somebody said "Man, these tounge-and-groove wood floors are easy and look nice! Heeeeeey..."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This awesome video about traditional Finnish log cabin construction also shows them using sawdust for insulation (and tarry rope for filling gaps, oh and they built the entire thing using just axes, saws, and a hand drill).

I actually grew up in a log cabin in Northern Wisconsin (My family has owned it since we were loggers in the 19th century and it was the 1960s when my hippy parents had me) that we had to stuff oakum in the cracks every year. Otherwise winters were no fun with gales ripping between the logs and icicles forming indoors.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wrong video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlNF_Lru68w

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

~Coxy posted:

We're even going to have brick-laying robots building our houses Real Soon Now™!

You joke, but these guys seem to be getting somewhat close:
http://fbr.com.au/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YcrO8ONcfY

It's from here in Perth, and it looks like it uses some sort of glue instead of mortar. They say it's because the house will be rendered, which I guess makes sense, the regular cookie cutter house you see here in the new developments are all pretty much 100% rendered, so it's totally pointless to do a quality mortar job that will just be covered up by cement.

As an aside, I rendered the main living/dining room in the house we bought last year, because it was 100% hideous brick, and it was by the far the worst loving DIY thing I've ever done. Took ages, required 2 coats of render (one to fill joints, one to coat), then a coat of white set (lime putty and plaster), then a top coat because I was loving useless at getting the white set smooth. Every step was a nightmare, but I'd never tried it before, so I figured I'd give it a go.

Should have just glued some gyprock to the bricks and been done with it, would have taken me a couple weeks instead of months of swearing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

JBark posted:

You joke, but these guys seem to be getting somewhat close:
http://fbr.com.au/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YcrO8ONcfY

That's who I mean; they've been at it for years.

All the best to them really, but the time consuming and costly part of building a new house is not really the few days it takes some skilled brickies to lay 29 courses.

(It's the three months it takes western power to install your meter lol)

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

Older farmhouses in rural MN/SD loved to install dirt/sawdust insulation.

The mouse problems are just stupendous.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

NancyPants posted:

Hey if we're allowed to use Pinterest as a source for this thread we can keep it going forever. Just like Pinterest using"free" pallets as a quality lumber source forever

E:

for example.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 27, 2017

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cakesmith handyman posted:

Hey if we're allowed to use Pinterest as a source for this thread we can keep it going forever. Just like Pinterest using"free" pallets as a quality lumber source forever

My dad was in the army and got deployed to Panama during that whole Noriega thing. He's told stories about turning a blind eye to things like shipping crates and pallets going missing because impoverished Panamanians were using them to fix and even build houses. No one could bring themselves to poo poo on people so desperately poor that our trash was a godsend.

And now we live in an era where DIY lifehack upcycle goobers proudly post pics of the same sort of construction tacked haphazardly onto middle class homes.

God bless America.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zahgaegun posted:

Older farmhouses in rural MN/SD loved to install dirt/sawdust insulation.

The mouse problems are just stupendous.

Iowa seems to have gone with newspaper instead.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The least stupid idea from Dahir Insaat. It's still stupid, but it's the least stupid.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 27, 2017

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

I swear these pinterest people have a network to let them know where the free pallets are. It seems like they show up within 10-15 minutes of us throwing them out, and they end up taking them all, even the ones that are literally falling apart.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Old walls usually come with, you know, old houses.
Fascinating. Having spent several years tearing walls down in old houses, I never stumbled upon one filled with sawdust, from top to bottom or simply piled at the bottom of the stud.

Others have answered that it seems to be a regional thing, so cool. Around here it was either newspaper or nothing in the hundred year+ homes.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

mcgreenvegtables posted:

Saw this at the Boston Opera House yesterday

I've got a similar connection sitting next to me at my office. The building has two telephonics rooms and all of the ethernet drops lead to one or the other, but there isn't a patchover panels managing direct connections between the two, so we patch our floor 1 switch to our floor 3 switch on a pair of jacks under my desk.

They resolve the issue among other tenants with virtual LANs, but it's managed by the building administrators and I am not confident in them.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Iowa seems to have gone with newspaper instead.

I paid good money and the utility (at the behest of the government) chipped in a couple grand to fill my attic and walls with (borate soaked) newspaper!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

God bless America.

Ooh I wish it were confined to the US, neighbors showed us pictures of their relatives who threw out perfectly good furniture and replaced it with literal piles of pallets

Katosabi posted:

they end up taking them all, even the ones that are literally falling apart.

You mean already partly broken down? Bonus!

In-laws have the shredded newspaper insulation in their attic, it's disgusting and if they ever empty their crap out we'll replace it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
https://imgur.com/a/OFVfk

Wow...just...hot drat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Fascinating. Having spent several years tearing walls down in old houses, I never stumbled upon one filled with sawdust, from top to bottom or simply piled at the bottom of the stud.

Others have answered that it seems to be a regional thing, so cool. Around here it was either newspaper or nothing in the hundred year+ homes.

Well newspapers didn't exist when old houses were built.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well newspapers didn't exist when old houses were built.

you talking persian old, european old or american old there friend?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bud K ninja sword posted:

you talking persian old, european old or american old there friend?

There is no American old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jerry Cotton posted:

There is no American old.

just making sure we were on the same epoch