Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
"One of a kind". I can't imagine why they didn't build more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Almost looks Smart Roadster-y.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

This is actually cool and good

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Anime Reference posted:

"One of a kind". I can't imagine why they didn't build more.

It's definitely not one of a kind, a few friends of mine know a guy with this kit. I've seen it in person and it's worse than you can imagine it being. Made me genuinely sad.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's definitely not one of a kind, a few friends of mine know a guy with this kit. I've seen it in person and it's worse than you can imagine it being. Made me genuinely sad.

The difference in body panel fit between each kit is great enough that they're de facto different models.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

neonbregna posted:

This is actually cool and good

I want to imagine they did this with a bottle Jack and construction truck full of those.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ishikabibble posted:

They properly hosed up by not biting the bullet and giving at least those ones a proper gearbox.

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

The difference in body panel fit between each kit is great enough that they're de facto different models.
Someone's never seen a Range Rover Classic...

clam ache posted:

I want to imagine they did this with a bottle Jack and construction truck full of those.
I suspect a bottle of Jack was probably involved, at least.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
http://i.imgur.com/XP4DdlX.gifv

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm the guy clapping in the bg after it happens.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

ishikabibble posted:

InitialDave posted:

They properly hosed up by not biting the bullet and giving at least those ones a proper gearbox.

What were these like? I love the design and size, and want to believe that they were fun to drive. Preparing to be disappointed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'm rather confused by this. For kicks I Googled "Gaggi Hills" and it is a town in Sicily - yet the sign is written in English. I'm also seeing American cars and signage, but that appears to be a German license plate.

It must be a stunt for a TV show somewhere.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DropShadow posted:

What were these like? I love the design and size, and want to believe that they were fun to drive. Preparing to be disappointed.

Literally the worst transmission ever installed into a car.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

DropShadow posted:

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that if these launched in America instead of the FourTwo, we wouldn't hate Smart Cars nearly as much. Probably still Definitely had lovely transmissions

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

eyebeem posted:

A friend got a Fourtwo recently and is head over heels in love with it. She was very proud of her purchase and insisted I give it a test drive. The transmission is truly as bad as reported, possibly worse. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was the goofiest piece of poo poo I've ever driven. Awful throttle response, bad ride and under no circumstance will it ever smoothly shift gears. Also the gas pedal is hinged on the floor, not on the traditional push-in arm most cars have so they somehow made that feel horrible too.

They got the size right at least, it is really drat small. If I lived in a city where a car like that made sense I'd have a nice bike and a bus pass instead.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

weg posted:

A friend got a Fourtwo recently and is head over heels in love with it. She was very proud of her purchase and insisted I give it a test drive. The transmission is truly as bad as reported, possibly worse. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was the goofiest piece of poo poo I've ever driven. Awful throttle response, bad ride and under no circumstance will it ever smoothly shift gears. Also the gas pedal is hinged on the floor, not on the traditional push-in arm most cars have so they somehow made that feel horrible too.

They got the size right at least, it is really drat small. If I lived in a city where a car like that made sense I'd have a nice bike and a bus pass instead.

My daughter is the same way. Smart buyers are operating with a rather different set of criteria than the rest of us. She absolutely loves it and I struggle to find a single nice thing to say about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Yeah I'm interested in the PT out front, what's it going for?"
the price hasn't changed.
"But what about the banner?"
that's what happens to your dignity if you buy it

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Deteriorata posted:

My daughter is the same way. Smart buyers are operating with a rather different set of criteria than the rest of us. She absolutely loves it and I struggle to find a single nice thing to say about it.

I think the criteria is "because it's cute", or at least that's what I was able to figure out. I'm undecided if it was a better or worse purchase than her runner up: a 2016 Mirage.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

I run on the same logic, but at least I think way better cars are cute. :colbert:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

weg posted:

I think the criteria is "because it's cute", or at least that's what I was able to figure out. I'm undecided if it was a better or worse purchase than her runner up: a 2016 Mirage.

Mazda 2s are cute and they don't suck to drive.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Something about the Mirage is really off to me. I don't trust them at all, and I can't figure out why

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

weg posted:

FourTwo vs Mirage?

I'll take the MIrage without pausing to think, even if it is that horrific retina-searing purple. At least you can actually fit more than a few sacks of groceries in it, and it'll be a lot more reliable than the Smart (which doesn't say much).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Door Frame posted:

Something about the Mirage is really off to me. I don't trust them at all, and I can't figure out why
It's the Mitsubishi badge.

When even Consumer Reports offers up gems like "raspy chorus of lament" to describe the engine noise you know you've got a winner (it's the lowest scoring car they've reviewed in recent memory and there were plenty of zingers about the model name).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

weg posted:

Also the gas pedal is hinged on the floor, not on the traditional push-in arm most cars have so they somehow made that feel horrible too.

Actually that's the correct way to do the accelerator pedal. Agree with the rest though.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

nm posted:

Mazda 2s are cute and they don't suck to drive.

I agree with this statement but from what I am able to Google the Mirage is not a rebadged Mazda 2?

The Smart owner I am talking about previously owned a grossly neglected 2001 Mirage, which until I drove the Fourtwo had the worst shifting auto I'd ever felt. I guess a new-ish Smart transmission is better than failing Mitsubishi one so she probably thinks it's normal. :psyduck:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

FourTwo vs Mirage?

I'll take the MIrage without pausing to think, even if it is that horrific retina-searing purple. At least you can actually fit more than a few sacks of groceries in it, and it'll be a lot more reliable than the Smart (which doesn't say much).
From a practicality standpoint it definitely wins. I'd say reliability is probably a draw but the real question is which holds value better? Is she better off buying a Smart because someone else might actually desire to own it?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've never thought about resale when buying a car (... I currently own a GM, just the GM designation means it lost 110% of its value before I finished signing the loan paperwork). I generally drive my cars until they die, then keep reviving them until a really expensive repair comes up. And even then, I replaced the transmission (twice) on my last car before I threw my hands up and got rid of it.

And yeah, I don't think the Mirage and 2 are related. The 2 was sold under Mazda, Scion, and Toyota labels. Gonna guess nm was suggesting the 2 as an alternate to the Mirage; the 2 certainly has a lot more engine.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

weg posted:

I agree with this statement but from what I am able to Google the Mirage is not a rebadged Mazda 2?

Uhm, no. The mazda 2 and the fiesta were on the same platform last cycle (though with different drivetrains, steering racks, and suspension), but the Mitsu never has been.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

Small hands wheels. Can't trust 'em. :chloe:

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

nm posted:

Uhm, no. The mazda 2 and the fiesta were on the same platform last cycle (though with different drivetrains, steering racks, and suspension), but the Mitsu never has been.
I think the phrasing of your post made me believe you were referring to the pictured Mirage as a Mazda2. I understand now.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I've never thought about resale when buying a car (... I currently own a GM, just the GM designation means it lost 110% of its value before I finished signing the loan paperwork). I generally drive my cars until they die, then keep reviving them until a really expensive repair comes up. And even then, I replaced the transmission (twice) on my last car before I threw my hands up and got rid of it.

And yeah, I don't think the Mirage and 2 are related. The 2 was sold under Mazda, Scion, and Toyota labels. Gonna guess nm was suggesting the 2 as an alternate to the Mirage; the 2 certainly has a lot more engine.
I was looking at a Fiesta ST at the time for myself so I suggested a base Fiesta or 2 but they "aren't cute". :raise:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Deteriorata posted:

I'm rather confused by this. For kicks I Googled "Gaggi Hills" and it is a town in Sicily - yet the sign is written in English. I'm also seeing American cars and signage, but that appears to be a German license plate.

It must be a stunt for a TV show somewhere.

It's probably just an American car meet up and somebody made a sign for it. You know, like those people with VWs and fake German license plates, etc.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Speaking of resale value, terrible car stuff is that 5 or 6 years ago you could pick up a relatively unmolested R33 GTST for around £3k, and now that I'm in a position to buy one they seem to have doubled in price for a riced out, duct taped bumper, headlight missing due to a 'sick drifting' accident.

I know they're now in the ~*~VINTAGE~*~ age but seriously, £6.5k for a 20 year old import with 150k miles, most of which were probably at WOT, just not gonna happen.

Back to my plan B of just getting a decent BMW / Merc sedan instead of something 'fun'.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Deteriorata posted:

I helped a friend replace the motor on his Smart. At least its light enough to manhandle out of the engine bay :v:

Granted, that involved removing the whole rear end...

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 27, 2017

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

CommieGIR posted:

I helped a friend replace the motor on his Smart. At least its light enough to manhandle out of the engine bay :v:

There is something so hilarious about this that I almost choked on my coffee. Please tell me you have more pictures.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Somebody needs to make a huge Segway out of that thing

eyebeem posted:

I was under the impression that they used a different autotragic in the Roadster though? At least that's what I remember from various top gears and what not, that it's not good but not as terrible as the For2.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

Somebody needs to make a huge Segway out of that thing
Or the most bitchin' Honda Big Red in history.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Night Danger Moose posted:

Please tell me you have more pictures.

Truth be told, that's not my photo.

He's an unofficial guide I followed: http://www.fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/fortwo-450/engine/178-engine-replacement.html

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

mobby_6kl posted:

I was under the impression that they used a different autotragic in the Roadster though? At least that's what I remember from various top gears and what not, that it's not good but not as terrible as the For2.
Even the ForTwo switched to a different one. It doesn't sound like it's good, but it's at least supposed to be better than the original transmission.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

weg posted:

a 2016 Mirage.

I took a ride in one of these care of Uber the other day. It had 35k on the clock, and it was the buzziest, rattliest, clatteriest non-diesel almost-new car I have ever been in. I'm not sure, but I don't think it had any sound deadening material.

For terrible truck stuff: I was in the Uber because I had just left Monster Jam at the Pepsi Center. Beside the fact that the cool stuff like monster trucks flying through the air was interspersed with dumb, boring 30-second races on ATVs and overgrown go-karts, the whole program felt weirdly like the organizers had watched Idiocracy and then designed the program around an eventual tie-in with Brawndo and Monday Night Rehabilitation. The announcers were even wearing the same sort of goofy-rear end outfits as the clothing in the movie. Also, and this just pissed me off personally: One of the judges mercilessly sandbagged the women driver's scores and actually kept them from winning a couple events. <:mad:>

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Very much wrong thread, but this is what you can do to a Smart roadster if you're an insane German tuning house:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlm158_top-gear-brabus-smart-roadster-v6_auto

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 27, 2017

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
... or what a couple of insane Austrians can cobble together out of a Smart coupe with a dead engine and a wrecked GSX-R 1000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgwzHJo3IXM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

weg posted:

Also the gas pedal is hinged on the floor, not on the traditional push-in arm most cars have so they somehow made that feel horrible too.

That is how most/all BMWs are, and probably plenty of others, and is quite a good design. It has nothing to do with how they hosed up the car.