Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
She's insufferable, but the new sister in law also sounds pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

therobit posted:

You would think that but it isn't an immutable charachteristic and does not make the whole of what someone is. It is like any other serious charcter flaw. You can be racist and still be an otherwise good person. Most whites in America are to some degree racist, whether they are conscious of it or not. Are you gonna tell your spouse "We ain't going over for Christmas because your dad has lovely views?"

Yeah actually, racist is one of the worst things that someone can be

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
"My relatives are in the KKK and invited me to a lynching, should I go?"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah actually, racist is one of the worst things that someone can be

And yet most white people are racist and don't even realize. I'm not saying they use the N word or fly confederate flags, but they also don't rhink MLK should have a holiday. If you have never been exposed to the white working class that might be shocking, but it isn't incredibly uncommon with that demographic. If you simply write them off you lose the chance to educate, and you also lose elections.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovF1zsDoeM

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

therobit posted:

And yet most white people are racist and don't even realize. I'm not saying they use the N word or fly confederate flags, but they also don't rhink MLK should have a holiday. If you have never been exposed to the white working class that might be shocking, but it isn't incredibly uncommon with that demographic. If you simply write them off you lose the chance to educate, and you also lose elections.

Racism isn't a character flaw, it's a fundamental inability to empathize with people who have a different skin colour then them. And guess what: you're literally never going to change their hateful and backwards opinions by tolerating them. All you're doing is helping them normalize their racism.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

"My relatives are in the KKK and invited me to a lynching, should I go?"

eh not to go out of my way to defend racists but there's a bit of a difference between heiling hitler and just being raised in a an un-diverse setting and being culturally insensitive. imo it's kinda weird that we're both quick to condemn rural people on their lack of modern sensitivity and hugely pro immigration from areas that are way worse, either you can accept people have been raised wrong but can change under the right influence or you don't but it's a weird mix from progressives in the US.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ArbitraryC posted:

eh not to go out of my way to defend racists but there's a bit of a difference between heiling hitler and just being raised in a an un-diverse setting and being culturally insensitive. imo it's kinda weird that we're both quick to condemn rural people on their lack of modern sensitivity and hugely pro immigration from areas that are way worse, either you can accept people have been raised wrong but can change under the right influence or you don't but it's a weird mix from progressives in the US.

Everything is absolutes, there is no gray area ITT.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ArbitraryC posted:

Historically speaking, the people raised in an all-white setting are the most violent racists that are the most set in their ways.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This isn't about being 80 years behind modern society's mores, the behavior described is and has always been annoying as a pair of mosquitoes putting on polka music while they stab at your nakedly nair'd balls

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Historically speaking, the people raised in an all-white setting are the most violent racists that are the most set in their ways.

lmao someone never been to asia

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Racism isn't a character flaw, it's a fundamental inability to empathize with people who have a different skin colour then them. And guess what: you're literally never going to change their hateful and backwards opinions by tolerating them. All you're doing is helping them normalize their racism.

The insidious ways that racism are systematically enforced and normalized are such that it is impossible to grow up white in this country without absorbing some of the background racism a little. It's something you can and have to work against, but it doesn't render all of us unreachable or fundamentally incapable of empathy

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

fruit on the bottom posted:

The insidious ways that racism are systematically enforced and normalized are such that it is impossible to grow up white in this country without absorbing some of the background racism a little. It's something you can and have to work against, but it doesn't render all of us unreachable or fundamentally incapable of empathy

If you're racist enough to think that MLK shouldn't have a holiday then you are incredibly racist.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
how racist do you have to be to not see that the original post that triggered this discussion was maybe not a white person justifying racism.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, probably.

I stand by my point, though.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

The insidious ways that racism are systematically enforced and normalized are such that it is impossible to grow up without absorbing some of the background racism a little. It's something you can and have to work against, but it doesn't render all of us unreachable or fundamentally incapable of empathy

It was an easy fix, but I done fix'd it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

therobit posted:

Are you gonna tell your spouse "We ain't going over for Christmas because your dad has lovely views?"

Your goddamn right I am.

I've cut people out of my life for less.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If you're racist enough to think that MLK shouldn't have a holiday then you are incredibly racist.

Yeah if you're willing to turn down a possible day off work because it honors a black man (who absolutely deserves it) you are incredibly, extremely, probably irredeemably racist.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Your goddamn right I am.

I've cut people out of my life for less.

I take it you must not be friends with any white people over 50 then. Or any republicans. Or anyone who doesn't share your exact political views.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

therobit posted:

I take it you must not be friends with any white people over 50 then. Or any republicans. Or anyone who doesn't share your exact political views.

No, shockingly, there are people meeting those descriptions who manage to not be racist.

Or who knows, maybe they are racist but at least they're smart enough to not say racist poo poo.

It's not surrounding yourself with a liberal bubble to want friends who don't say the n-word, for example.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

therobit posted:

You can be racist and still be an otherwise good person.
uh, no. no you can not.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

therobit posted:

Exact same political views, lol you are the guy who believes their are good nazis right?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The core point that there is a huge and widespread body of internalized racism and it's impractical and ultimately self-defeating to demand absolute ideological purity on racial issues is a good one, but there's a gap between that and tacitly supporting outspoken racism.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not in any real practical term tho.

It's solely a solve to make you feel better.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

therobit posted:

Most whites in America are to some degree racism, whether they are conscious of it or not.

And it seems you've done your part in enabling them.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
This is the worst loving derail ever.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

nobody cares how racist you are.

imagine being the mother and getting bombarded with texts first from your crazy daughter-in-law saying "it is hosed up that your family entertains this Homosexual, don't you know she has designs on your quirky daughter??" and then from the childhood best friend going "actually your daughter's tits are way too big for me and i couldn't handle that"

:murder: everyone involved in that story

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Exact same political views, lol you are the guy who believes their are good nazis right?

Yup, you got me there that is exactly what I said.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

therobit posted:

Yup, you got me there that is exactly what I said.

Ah so you can assume about others but we don't get the same luxury.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
All Nazis Are Good

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah so you can assume about others but we don't get the same luxury.

I thought I was pretty clear in saying that I just don't think you should gently caress with your SO's family and thay way more people are racist than will admit it but apparently nobody here ever had a racist grandparent or other relative thay they still loved.

My comment about lesbians being good people was really more about the mindset of religious people who think they aren't and that I am more likely to side with a lesbian over a Christian in that argument. It was hamfisted.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Pretty much 90% of people in the world are somewhat to insanely racist imo

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I consider myself not racist, but there have been times when a racist thought has intruded upon my perfect mind

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Psycho Society posted:

Pretty much 90% of people in the world are somewhat to insanely racist imo

didn't we already have the 'no, the degenerates you hang around are not a stand-in for all americans/humanity just because they're everybody you know' talk ITT

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

I (M27) lost control on a date in front of her (F21) whole family. What can I do now?

aaaaaaaa I can't stop screamiiiiiiiiing

I (27) lost control on a date and insulted (21) her whole family, what can I do now? [UPDATES]

quote:

Just want to clear something up. My date never had a profile on the dating site. She was browsing through with her friend who has a profile and they were looking for a date for her friend. It was the friend who originally messaged me to set me up with my date. Also, I deleted my profile. I'm totally done with online dating. I've been in this city two years now so I'm gonna just go out and meet people the old fashioned way. It just feels less risky somehow.

I know this is gonna disappoint many of you but I decided to speak with her. The very day I posted here was the day immediately after our date. That same evening she called me but I didn't answer cause I was in the shower so sent me a text that said, "do you hate me too much to talk to me?" I texted back "I don't hate you." She reponded, "can I call you?" I texted, "yes".
So she called and immediately went into full apology damage control mode. I told her that it was ok, that I was already over it and moved on. She asked if there was anyway we could meet cause there were somethings she wanted to say in person and she wanted for us to part with a hand shake and all that. It kind of sounded like she needed closure. So I agreed to meet her downtown to talk the following Tuesday. Not a date, no lunch, no coffee, we just met at a park.

We met and I knew she was still the one. She told me she loves me and we decided to try it again. We went on three dates and I proposed. She said YES!!! We're gonna get married in december. No big wedding, we're gonna fly to Las Vegas and do it there. The plan is to spend Christmas as a married couple. Just kidding, I'm not that loving crazy. Hopefully you're still reading. The rest of the update continues on the next paragraph.

We met at a park just to talk. I had been so disappointed cause I felt that the spark and the butterflies in the stomach would be gone. That I wouldn't like her anymore. As soon as I saw her this was confirmed. There was no spark. She looked great but I just didn't feel it, it kind of crushed me. So I decided to listen to her as she apologized again and told me she had really liked me on that first date and got carried away and made a very dumb decision that she wishes she could take back.

She added that her mom had pulled her aside when we arrived and right from the beginning told her that if she liked me, she'd just made a big mistake by bringing me. I guess her mom pretty much cringed when she saw us walk in that night. Also, I should say that her mom was the only one defending me that night and practically pulling people off of me like her religious uncle who asked me if I'd been saved. I remember that pretty well but I guess her mom came down on her hard for not just having a first date. But she also said that things got even crazier after I left.

Her mom wasn't there for my rant. She had driven somebody home and came back after I'd left. She found my date outside crying and was told what happened. Her mom I guess stormed into the restaurant and went off on everybody for ganging up on me. My date says she called them a bunch of "out of control animals." The whole thing was reduced to a big finger pointing fest by everybody. The mom was furious because the story is that my date's dad left them when my date was 9. He had some sort of breakdown and became an alcoholic. He became verbally and emotionally abusive so the mom kicked him out to protect the kids. He refused to get his act together and disappeared for almost 10 years. So the mom hates when the dad acts like he has a say in his kids' lives since he was gone and just came back less than two years ago. But he still lives over an hour away. A lot of the people that were there I guess live far away and they flew in for the Aunt's b-day. Supposedly most of them she only sees once a year at the most.

So the mom went off on him especially hard and questioned his right to have any say in his daughter's decision to date anybody. She embarrassed him in front of everybody for having over stepped so many boundaries. So she told me this stuff cause she wanted me to know that she was very sorry she let her dad act all fatherly when it wasn't the time and it wasn't "his place." These were her words not mine. In a way I'm glad the mom wasn't there to witness me going off cause then I would've felt really bad. But come to think of it, she probably would've stepped in and prevented it.

She asked me if there was a way we could have that first date again. But I said no. There's no way I can pretend that we are meeting for the first time after all of that. I know too much about her. I feel way too gone past that first date mode right now and maybe I need to take a break from formal dates.

I did apologize to her for not telling her right away how uncomfortable I was and for going off on her outside the restaurant. I told her that there were a lot of nice people there that I felt bad about but that I'm sure they understand me cause they seemed reasonable. As I was talking to her I could see how much better she felt that I had given my own apology. Her face went from subdued and sorry, to kind of hopeful and semi happy.

She started to get back her glow and her spunk. We started talking about other stuff, what I do at work, my hobbies, and some other causal stuff. The more I talked the more she glowed. I felt bad cause she showed up looking kind of fragile and contrite. She looked vulnerable but by the end of our conversation she was smiling and looked more sure of herself. I tried to show my sense of humor and made her laugh. I felt kind of sorry for her I made it my goal to send her home smiling.

I kind of started to feel that spark again after she started smiling and laughing more. She has a great laugh, it's really cute and innocent. It felt a lot like it did at the restaurant. Her awesomeness comes back when she's comfortable. She definitely does it for me. I walked her to her car and we agreed that another date is probably not a good idea right now.
She wanted to meet my yoga teacher cause she's the best. My date (I feel weird not tying her name) has said she needs to learn to relax more when she's stressed out. So I met her at yoga class the following Thursday (the 7th) and made the introduction. My date has been coming to the same three yoga sessions that I do weekly. We talk there. She still flirts with me and hints that we should meet for hot tea (neither of us is a coffee drinker). I walk her to her car after class cause it's dark by then.

I still like her and I can tell she feels the same way. The spark is all the way back now. But all those comments I got here on my original post about her being CRAZY are still completely lodged in my head. They have me second guessing myself about staying in touch with her. I'm not sure what I'm going to do but whatever it is it's gonna take time.

that dude is going to wind up a skinsuit but nobody can say he wasn't warned.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Date the mom

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
#EndJewishPrivilege

#KillAllJews

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Well I'm glad it's just the family that's insane and the women herself just is really naive maybe instead of being one of those 'I must let my overbearing family make all my decisions for me therefore my first date must be a family gang interrogation' type crazies :unsmith:

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

lazorexplosion posted:

Well I'm glad it's just the family that's insane and the women herself just is really naive maybe instead of being one of those 'I must let my overbearing family make all my decisions for me therefore my first date must be a family gang interrogation' type crazies :unsmith:

why did she bring him there in the first place

i think its a bit beyond naivety, like just don't loving even bring him in there unless you're really crazy and/or stupid

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Some part of me hopes they work it out cause hey least he knows what stupid family bullshit he's going to be dealing with, better the devil you know and all that.

Also I'll date the mom if he isn't, she sounds pretty cool if she took everyone to task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS

Pick posted:

"I intend... to BREED!"

the family cheers, they clear the table with their arms, the dishes crashing to the floor. the girl clambers onto the table, flips herself over in a rapidly congealing pool of gravy, and spreads her legs wide

they begin to chant

"BREED! BREED! BREED!"

he thrusts! he thrusts! he thrusts again!!

they accept him! they're chanting for him!

FEED! FEED! FEED!

:perfect: