Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bloodychill posted:

FF4's final dungeon was top tier, and may also have the hardest regular monster encounters for any FF game.

My favorite is the party of three red dragons stacked on top of each other.

Xenoblade Chronicles had a kick-rear end final dungeon. By far one of the worst in any of the JRPGs I've played is Tales of Phantasia. I remember BoF4's being bad too, but more because it's uninteresting and has annoying music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All of the random enemy encounters on the moon in FF4 were crazy hard. Then again, the last time I played FF4 was the DS version, so I'm probably remembering an exaggerated version of something that was already hard :v:

FF4 DS is like Final Fantasy took cues from SMT and decided to make buffs and debuffs absolutely crucial. I really liked that version.

Mak0rz posted:

I remember BoF4's being bad too, but more because it's uninteresting and has annoying music.

I just realized I barely remember BoF4's final dungeon but I definitely didn't like it. I love the hell out of the rest of that game, though, even its silly minigames. Fou-Lu is the best goddamn JRPG villain

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 27, 2017

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mak0rz posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles had a kick-rear end final dungeon. By far one of the worst in any of the JRPGs I've played is Tales of Phantasia. I remember BoF4's being bad too, but more because it's uninteresting and has annoying music.

BoF4's is just kind of long and a bit confusing as I recall. And it's very, VERY easy to get underleveled in that game because enemies don't pay out enough XP and you can beat basically every boss in the game while like 10-20 levels under what they expect you to be at. Unfortunately that has the side effect of making the last boss fight take upwards of an hour or so.

I feel like BoF3 had the best final dungeon in the main series but maybe I'm forgetting some particularly bad part about it. Too bad about the whole desert thing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked FF7's final dungeon, and the save point gimmick.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Skies of Arcadia's final dungeon was pretty rad. The first dungeon is you exploring some abandoned ruins on a tiny island with an aged and broken-down robot as a boss, the at the end of the game the big bad summons a lost continent from the depths that rises up and fits perfectly against that island, only all the buildings are pristine and in working order and you fight fully functional versions of that first boss robot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Persona 4's final dungeon seemed all right

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I finished GTAV today. I stand by what I said in another one of my (bad) posts: the city atmosphere and graphics are incredible but the gameplay is absolute garbage. Too bad ~~ video game reviewers ~~ put production values and polish above everything else because that 97% metacritic is crazy. Did no one care about the clunky on-foot movement? Did everyone really love how dozens of missions are interactive driving/piloting cutscenes that you can't fail unless you really intentionally try? Did everyone love how most side missions are 30-100 collectible fetch quests or mind numbing tedium? Did no one care about how the game abruptly wraps up in the final mission with no build-up???? Whatever, video games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

People say that the online heists are really cool.

When I did one, I picked the role of the pilot, which consisted of me driving to the airport, getting in a plane, flying in circles for ten minutes while listening to my partners seemingly having a blast doing something in a prison, except they died a bunch of times so I would have to keep driving to the airport, getting in a plane, and flying in circles for ten minutes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GUI posted:

I finished GTAV today. I stand by what I said in another one of my (bad) posts: the city atmosphere and graphics are incredible but the gameplay is absolute garbage. Too bad ~~ video game reviewers ~~ put production values and polish above everything else because that 97% metacritic is crazy. Did no one care about the clunky on-foot movement? Did everyone really love how dozens of missions are interactive driving/piloting cutscenes that you can't fail unless you really intentionally try? Did everyone love how most side missions are 30-100 collectible fetch quests or mind numbing tedium? Did no one care about how the game abruptly wraps up in the final mission with no build-up???? Whatever, video games.

Like it or not, it isn't just video game reviewers. Grand Theft Auto V has remained one of the best-selling games since its release in almost unprecedented ways. It has sold so well that the only way to explain it is not just that it sold well on release but that people have bought it multiple times.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't GTA online make billions of dollars too

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

Like it or not, it isn't just video game reviewers. Grand Theft Auto V has remained one of the best-selling games since its release in almost unprecedented ways. It has sold so well that the only way to explain it is not just that it sold well on release but that people have bought it multiple times.

It says GTA on it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Didn't someone post a chart that showed a direct correlation between buying new consoles and copies of GTA V

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It says GTA on it.

GTAV has sold something like 3 times what GTAIV sold. It isn't just that.

Edit: and I say this as someone who feels pretty goddamn negative about GTAV, I don't get the appeal of it either.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 27, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dunno about the GTAV single player but GTA Online would be the raddest thing since sliced bread if it weren't for the utterly absurd load/connect times

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GTA Online is pretty incredible and i've been playing it since the day it went live on Xbox 360, except now i've moved over to the PC version. I have a few friends that are in similar boats, two started on 360 and have moved over to Xbox One for the game. We are all very excited for Red Dead Redemption 2's online. Sometimes I still play Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I miss old obtuse JRPG dungeon design.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'll fully admit that having an extremely pretty world to drive around in is a big draw for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

I'll fully admit that having an extremely pretty world to drive around in is a big draw for me.

Did you play Mad Max?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Forza Horizon 3 was great for that too

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
PC version also has a slew of bonkers mods that people are really into.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lurdiak posted:

Did you play Mad Max?

I did not. Looks pretty fun though. I'll check it out when it goes on sale for $5.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

I did not. Looks pretty fun though. I'll check it out when it goes on sale for $5.

It is a very pretty game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The first time I got to FF4's final dungeon I realized I was horribly under-leveled and had to grind out like 15 levels. That was not really fun at all.

e: also final dungeons with rehashes of older boss fights that are now much harder can eat all the bags of dicks, especially FF1 with its bold "save points are for wimps" design

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Hollow Knight is pretty good but it does that thing where a save point is far away from a boss room, so the requisite 3-4 deaths while you learn how to do a boss also involve doing the same couple minutes of platforming beforehand, and it's kind of annoying. Otherwise if anyone wants to play a pretty good metroidvania full of tiny well animated bug people then y'all should check it out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Not in JRPGS, but I generally really like endgame boss rushes. Nioh had one and it was fun to clown on bosses that hours ago I had died so many times to

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

precision posted:

e: also final dungeons with rehashes of older boss fights that are now much harder can eat all the bags of dicks, especially FF1 with its bold "save points are for wimps" design

Buddy if you thought Castle Chaos was a bad time don't bother playing through FF3

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

e: also final donjons with rehashes of older boss fights that are now much harder can eat all the bags of dicks, especially FF1 with its bold "save points are for wimps" design

I kinda like those if they're not too hard. Whenever the final dungeon throws bosses at me that I've never seen before I always kinda feel like it's pulling things out of its rear end to stall for time.

"Uhhhh you can't fight the last boss yet you have to fight this, uh, giant...grey.... snake? Yeah it's a whole thing it's been here thousands of years, we've never mentioned it before but it's totally scary ok fight it!" *scrambles to assemble rest of dungeon together*

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

I said come in! posted:

GTA Online is pretty incredible and i've been playing it since the day it went live on Xbox 360, except now i've moved over to the PC version. I have a few friends that are in similar boats, two started on 360 and have moved over to Xbox One for the game. We are all very excited for Red Dead Redemption 2's online. Sometimes I still play Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer.

What is the appeal of GTA online? I tried it and as far as i can tell the activities consist of constantly getting killed by random people while minding your own business driving around town, playing mediocre deathmatches which are zero fun with the poor controls, and a handful of random missions which you maybe shoots some people and drive around and get killed several times. I enjoyed the single player for the variety the story and the fantastic world but the online part was garbage for me

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

What is the appeal of GTA online? I tried it and as far as i can tell the activities consist of constantly getting killed by random people while minding your own business driving around town, playing mediocre deathmatches which are zero fun with the poor controls, and a handful of random missions which you maybe shoots some people and drive around and get killed several times. I enjoyed the single player for the variety the story and the fantastic world but the online part was garbage for me

lol Why exactly would you play GTA Online to drive around and mind your own business?

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

Wandle Cax posted:

the most fun i have in GTA online is driving around on a motorcycle with a clown horn harassing whatever player's nearest to me and getting them/their buddies to chase me. if that kind of dumb grief-lite fun isn't your thing then idk

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
First Soul Reaver is loving baller, even with the huge amount of cut content. The sequels didn't measure up.

The first Blood Omen is still dope IMO.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God Dark Souls 2 is so frustrating. Losing max health when you die is such a lovely mechanic, I still can't believe they looked at the absolute worst element of Demon's Souls and said "that's fine, let's do that again". At least in Demon's Souls the game was balanced around you having half health all the time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ImpAtom posted:

GTAV has sold something like 3 times what GTAIV sold. It isn't just that.

Edit: and I say this as someone who feels pretty goddamn negative about GTAV, I don't get the appeal of it either.

GTA is not really my kind of game but this is the Something Awful forums and you have to accept that goon perspectives are kind of niche. Like I'm pretty sure the 20 people who have played Alpha Protocol all post here and they never bought Skyrim so it must have been a huge commercial failure.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

GUI posted:

Pretty much sums up how i felt about the game.

An amazingly well designed world with incredibly dull missions that make you drive someplace for 15 minutes before anything happens. Also, the top half of the map was fairly empty and pointless.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
GTA 5 could have been fun to play if they'd just used Max Payne 3's control scheme instead of the stupid one they went with. Yes, make me hold down the A button at literally all times or else I walk, thanks. I can definitely see the benefits of this. Walking to running based on stick sensitivity, what's that? :geno:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CJacobs posted:

God Dark Souls 2 is so frustrating. Losing max health when you die is such a lovely mechanic, I still can't believe they looked at the absolute worst element of Demon's Souls and said "that's fine, let's do that again". At least in Demon's Souls the game was balanced around you having half health all the time.

I've no idea what it's like now but the Small Soapstone was great for getting max health back again.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like the various dungeons that show up in the shadow hearts series of games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I've no idea what it's like now but the Small Soapstone was great for getting max health back again.

Thankfully the reddit event that's going on now makes getting summoned pretty easy, but the game is definitely gonna go right back to being dead after it concludes and the Bloodborne event starts so it's a temporary solution at best.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Like I'm pretty sure the 20 people who have played Alpha Protocol all post here and they never bought Skyrim so it must have been a huge commercial failure.

It's like looking into a mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
GTA was good when it was a glitchy horrible mess and you'd get cop cars flying across the top of the screen and exploding for no reason

San Andreas was good but GTA4 was bad and I haven't played the new one

• Locked thread