Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I bought the Formula Raceroom 3 and I'm not sure if it's just me but that car seems to react to bumps so harsh as to be broken? On Red Bull Ring in turn 6 (the one before the last two right handers) it throws me around so bad and the FFB goes so bonkers it's like I'm driving through potholes. I can barely keep it on track there.

Also finally gave the AMS Trucks a try and immediately fell in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I haven't bought the FRR3 because I won't buy R3E cars outside packs and for some reason they've stopped doing the all-skins packs for the single cars but that sounds fairly consistent with most F3 cars I've driven in games. As for the FFB going ballistic that's just how the R3E FFB responds to going off track, it's super annoying when I put one wheel on the grass and my wheel goes mental.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just a quick heads-up for folk who might not read the other thread: there's a new iRacing Friday league featuring the Formula Renault, if that's more your thing than the Skip. Mix of ovals and road, same deal as the Sunday league.

Also there's the Sebring 12 Hour in a month or so, which could always use more goon victims.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

2 not exactly huge news dev updates. AMS dev update talking about mostly small updates to sounds and graphics, also the Aussie Racing Car that was on the DLC plan is now going to be a free car. Also they're doing a 2017-spec F1 car.

https://www.studio-397.com/2017/02/roadmap-update-february-2017/rF2 update as well showing mostly the new DX11 engine and some more UI stuff that's due sometime in March.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Interest check for AMS on March 5. Yay or nay? Car preference?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'd berate racing sim enthusiasts too. A whole bunch of them are broken human beings.

ftfy

Edit: seriously, I'm a flight sim sperg and some of the other flight sim spergs make me go :stonk:

Especially the milsim spergs. Dear god do they get retarded if a blade of grass in France isn't the proper shade of green for March of 1943.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 22, 2017

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

GhostDog posted:

I'm out, at the usual time at least :qq: that's the same time as Skippy 2k cup, so I'm already scheduled to get murdered in sim cars. I think GoonCar Race of "Champions" is after that, but I think I could make it if it was a bit earlier.

How many people have the Season Pass - could we do Adelaide?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Science Goy posted:

I'm out, at the usual time at least :qq: that's the same time as Skippy 2k cup, so I'm already scheduled to get murdered in sim cars. I think GoonCar Race of "Champions" is after that, but I think I could make it if it was a bit earlier.

How many people have the Season Pass - could we do Adelaide?

I have the season pass, and if we're gonna do a series it needs to be in the Aussie Racing Car when it gets added (it's a free car I believe when 1.3 comes out) because I spent half an hour pushing that thing round Ribeirao Preto earlier and never want to drive anything else.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011

GhostDog posted:

Very interested in us getting another AMS thing going regularly. But I won't be able to make it on the 5th unless it's later in the day.

I also have the season pass if that matters.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'm interested in anything AMS after I get back from Belgium, probably the 15th

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
We'll start with some single events from the 5th through the rest of March and see if we get enough participation to start an actual series. Then we could alternate between series and single event, because there are just too many fun cars in AMS to drive only one all the time.

I have to reinstall the dedicated server and do all my port forwarding and firewall crap again, so if someone could be online Saturday around 20 UTC to do some testing that'd be nice.

Did I already talk about how loving awesome the Formula Truck is? Because it is. Like, a lot.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to run a dedicated asseto corsa server?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Wibla posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to run a dedicated asseto corsa server?

It isn't hard, but it is annoying because for every "event" you essentially have to create a different CFG file and the way AC handles liveries is dumb as hell. Dedicated Server providers essentially give you a means to ssh or upload one of these event/race/session cfg files and restart the server. If there is a provider that implemented a simple web interface to deal with changes, I have not seen it.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

It's pretty terrible, based on GhostDog's description. That is one reason why he's talking about an AMS server.

Those formula trucks are fun, but somehow garbage at the same time. They make the iRacing A90 GTO's brakes look good.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Wibla posted:

It has a few quirks but honestly it's not that bad once you know what you're doing. The worst thing is that you have to add individual cars to races, i.e. instead of going "for this DTM race players can select any BMW E30, MB 190E and Alfa Romeo" you have to go "this track has 18 slots so I'll add these 6 BMWs, these 6 Mercedes' and these 6 Alfas. Although that might be different in booking mode which I never tried. And of course that was several months ago so maybe they changed things.

It really was more general annoyances with MP racing like weird tires wear bugs, bad pit stop UI and so on that made me stop doing it. Plus according to their own calculations the AC server has significantly higher bandwidth requirements than the AMS one.

But really really I just couldn't stand OhsH's bitching about it any more.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
AC is bad and everyone should just get AMS instead imo

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

How good is AMS in the rift? :v:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Vando posted:

AMS has at least 3 more street circuits (once Adelaide comes out) and 1 more mini Camaro than AC so is clearly the better product. Also AMS is probably gonna be the first game to have a 2017 F1 car which feels weird.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Vando posted:

I still hotlap AC a lot, mostly the vintage Porsches on vintage tracks (Bridgehampton, Riverside and Thomson are excellent mods, check the OP for links), and I'd like to throw a 962 or 917 race in some day.

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
Looking forward to more Sunday evening AMS :)

I did get a bit tired of repeatedly driving the Boxer, I liked when we did a variety of cars across different tracks. It forced me to drive some of the less-popular tracks for the first time, which was cool.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If everyone has the season pass, we should probably make the MCR the first race back on AMS since it's easy as hell to drive and not much harder to drive fast. I kinda fell out of love with the Boxer with the new physics update that's in the beta right now, it feels kinda wet and unresponsive.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I would think if you're into AMS you probably also have the season pass. The first couple races I'll do non-dlc content though.

I certainly assume everybody has the and cars and tracks by Patrick Giranthon, because why would you not?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

And if you don't, he recently updated the Megapack and is working on Okayama which is a track I like even if I've never rated the rFactor version that highly.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Cross-posting from the iRacing forums, this recording method works for all sims but currently using iRacing:

Hey all, I record some occasional race videos - lap walkthroughs, fun combos in Automobilista/rF2, league races, etc - and have only used my center monitor so far. Because of the FOV, a lot of stuff is not visible in the videos... so I looked for a way to record and display my side monitors as well. My current test uses OBS Global Sources to accomplish this, with everything recorded live (I don't want to re-record after the race, just do it all at the same time).

My question to you all: how does this look? Are the proportions and positioning alright, or should I increase/decrease/move the side monitor overlays? Does it look smooth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUj3Sj9ZWwM

Some notable action/carnage moments are lap 3 and the final lap (and the boot of lap 1, where Enzo was officially dubbed Skippy King). This was one of the Sunday SOF races just before the USA vs UK race, I think it was the 18:15 GMT race.

Thanks for the feedback!

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

GhostDog posted:

I still hotlap AC a lot, mostly the vintage Porsches on vintage tracks (Bridgehampton, Riverside and Thomson are excellent mods, check the OP for links), and I'd like to throw a 962 or 917 race in some day.

I really like the Metro Mills track we used for the Trueno races a while back. Also Tsukuba is good and they updated that track. I don't know if most mods gave up on AC as a lot of them don't get updated. I really wish they'd finish the Lancia Fulvia mod.

I have AMS but since I prefer to race in the rift I don't play it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Not sure how to make it look better than that, even though I still think it looks weird.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I really like the Metro Mills track we used for the Trueno races a while back. Also Tsukuba is good and they updated that track. I don't know if most mods gave up on AC as a lot of them don't get updated. I really wish they'd finish the Lancia Fulvia mod.

I am curious about the mod thing, seems like last year there was this massive flurry of top tier AC mods being released but lately it seems like the mod tracks are drying up, there's no major car mods being brought out and the only mod I had watched on RD that still gets regularly updated with each game update is the Sidekick HUD mod. Maybe Kunos kicking all the modders off their forums was the final straw since I know a fair amount of them were getting irritated at how little documentation there was over how to implement new features.

However, the Ford Transit mod is apparently still being worked on.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Not sure how to make it look better than that, even though I still think it looks weird.

Exactly... I think a small border around the side monitors might help a bit, but it still might look funny. If they are smaller, they will not intrude on the main screen but you won't really be able to see much. If they are bigger, there will be more detail visible but they will get in the way of the main shot.

I'm just happy that I figured out how to do it all without re-recording anything, or opening multiple instances of OBS, or any of that nonsense. Once the layout is figured out, it's just as easy to record as it was before.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Science Goy posted:

Exactly... I think a small border around the side monitors might help a bit, but it still might look funny. If they are smaller, they will not intrude on the main screen but you won't really be able to see much. If they are bigger, there will be more detail visible but they will get in the way of the main shot.

I'm just happy that I figured out how to do it all without re-recording anything, or opening multiple instances of OBS, or any of that nonsense. Once the layout is figured out, it's just as easy to record as it was before.

Is it possible to record in the 5760xWhatever resolution and scale it afterwards? Or will it look screwed up since it will no longer have the side monitor angle?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Is it possible to record in the 5760xWhatever resolution and scale it afterwards? Or will it look screwed up since it will no longer have the side monitor angle?

Yes, that is possible. It looks bad, since it is not rendered in the same plane and there is a bezel "gap" factored in... there is a noticeable seam between the monitors. Also, I think I would kill my bitrate per screen - 3x the pixels, and I'm already near the maximum bitrate that my system can record smoothly. I haven't investigated whether I maxed out my HDD write speed or if it's a different bottleneck, but I would need to do some digging for that.

I don't know if there is a way for me to take a full 5760*1080 image, then morph the side monitors to make the perspective a bit better and make the whole thing less wide... I might play around with it, but I'm not sure. That might look bad too.

TrueRacer has been doing something similar - his side screen windows are smaller, but he has a lot of other junk on screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3R_XXjyL6E
He also records the side monitors in replay mode, and I don't want to triple my recording time. Also, I can't record side monitors in rF2/AMS replays as they only render the center screen... but that's not the issue here, I am able to record all three at once, it's just a matter of the layout.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

njsykora posted:

I am curious about the mod thing, seems like last year there was this massive flurry of top tier AC mods being released but lately it seems like the mod tracks are drying up, there's no major car mods being brought out and the only mod I had watched on RD that still gets regularly updated with each game update is the Sidekick HUD mod. Maybe Kunos kicking all the modders off their forums was the final straw since I know a fair amount of them were getting irritated at how little documentation there was over how to implement new features.

However, the Ford Transit mod is apparently still being worked on.

Hot take: Since Kunos was bought by a larger parent company I think they should sub-contract content like DCS. I don't know how many small groups have access to laser scanned data but it would be cool to see more content.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I think it just takes more time and skill to make tracks the more sophisticated the sims become. More and higher res texture work, more and higher detailed 3d assets, and of course much more detailed track meshes. Less people will be able to make tracks from scratch, and the better ones seem more interested in making obscure/vintage tracks that don't have (hopefully passable) conversions yet or might actually be done by Kunos at some point. Lilski (Bridgehampton, Riverside, VIR) is doing fantastic work, as is Fat Alfie (Thomson, currently working on Deutschlandring).

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Running an AC server is v annoying unless it's changed in the last year

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
That toy Camaro seems like a good car to start with on sunday, maybe the best entry level RWD in AMS outside of the DLC-only Trainer and MCR.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Didn't take long for gRally to get through Steam Greenlight and apparently they'll be releasing as Early Access on the 10th. That's pretty nice to see given how long that thing's been knocking about as a tech demo and starter art assets to see it now have actual gameplay and be put out. Be interesting to see if they're actually going to work heavily on content for it or rely on the mod community to fill out stuff RSRBR style since they've so far only showed one car.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

njsykora posted:

Didn't take long for gRally to get through Steam Greenlight and apparently they'll be releasing as Early Access on the 10th. That's pretty nice to see given how long that thing's been knocking about as a tech demo and starter art assets to see it now have actual gameplay and be put out. Be interesting to see if they're actually going to work heavily on content for it or rely on the mod community to fill out stuff RSRBR style since they've so far only showed one car.

https://twitter.com/gRallySim/status/836932005887631360

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Oculus Rift is now $499 if that's cheap enough for anyone to jump into VR.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

gRally is still a thing? :psyduck:

I assumed it was dead in the water when Dirt Rally came out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It seemed like it, they certainly went really quiet after DR came out but the last few months have been posting a lot of screenshots and videos. It'll be interesting to see how Unity handles a game like this because no-one's really tried to go full hardcore sim on it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Alright, let's get this going again:

The time slot (for future races) is up for debate depending on when we can get the most people in.
Also, if you have a non-goon buddy who can keep a car on track (most of the time) they're welcome.

Tonight at around 20:00 GMT impromptu test session with either FTrucks or Caterhams.