Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I really liked GTA5 but some people don't. There were some points that I didn't care for, like how the game economy is balanced around the idea that you're going to spend real money on r* cash cards (don't) so you could never buy the all the cool clothes you wanted, let alone properties, but character-wise it was a fun story about bad guys getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm glad for GTA4 if only because of all of the great racistman3D videos.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I feel like Franklin was probably should have died in the main ending in GTAV but I undestand why they apparently backed out of that.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Despite the fact that I think the Wonder Boy remake looks cool, the new music is awful and I'm clad you can stick with classic audio.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The annoying thing is that neither ending A or B is satisfying despite both providing a sound payoff to their respective character's story because in-world you are doing it to either dissuade a billionaire shithead tool or militarized mafia tools to leave you alone, and not because it's the natural conclusion to the story. And then the third ending (the one they want you to go with) is just dumb because it wraps up everything in like 20 minutes without actually wrapping up anything at all.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Ri6dhsnoU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

San Andreas is the best GTA, and people who say Vice City was better are suspect.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Been having loads of fun playing Berserk. Shame that it doesn't have 2 player co op. Like any decent musou game should have. But the gameplay is pretty good.
It somehow also gave me an urge to go play demon's souls.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sefal posted:

It somehow also gave me an urge to go play demon's souls.

Sorry if that's :thejoke: but the souls series took heavy inspiration from berserk

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

FirstAidKite posted:

Sorry if that's :thejoke: but the souls series took heavy inspiration from berserk

Yeah. The skeleton wheel enemies remind me most of berserk. But the gameplay in berserk is different from a souls game, but it still gave me a craving to play demon's souls.
Now to hope for a Berserk Souls game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If we're just going to say properties we want matched together, I want the Yakuza guys to make a Kunio-Kun game. It'd be like the Bully to Yakuza's GTA.

By which I mean better in every way.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Did you play Mad Max?

I really wish somebody made a mod to that replaced the game's soundtrack with the Fury Road score. Then again, that would improve a lot of games.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

GTA 5 could have been fun to play if they'd just used Max Payne 3's control scheme instead of the stupid one they went with. Yes, make me hold down the A button at literally all times or else I walk, thanks. I can definitely see the benefits of this. Walking to running based on stick sensitivity, what's that? :geno:

They eventually added a Third Person Shooter control option that lets you press the left stick to activate run mode and hold it to sprint. Only took them 3 years.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

http://kotaku.com/heres-the-official-trailer-for-middle-earth-shadows-of-1792780562

CG trailer for new Shadow of Mordor game looks hot. That's some Blizzard-level CG right there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

God Dark Souls 2 is so frustrating. Losing max health when you die is such a lovely mechanic, I still can't believe they looked at the absolute worst element of Demon's Souls and said "that's fine, let's do that again". At least in Demon's Souls the game was balanced around you having half health all the time.

I ended up liking that Dark Souls 3 managed to do exactly the same thing but made it feel less painful because the health you lose when you die is bonus health. You don't see part of your HP meter blocked off until you use a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes or Human Effigy (or kill a boss)--instead, your HP bar looks totally normal, and gets longer when you use an Ember. It's close to the same thing, to the point that I definitely feel more comfortable with my HP when I'm Embered than when I'm not, but it doesn't feel as punitive.

I actually played Demon's Souls through the first time entirely in soul form just so that I wouldn't accidentally gently caress up my world tendency by dying in body form. Granted, the Cling Ring never left one of my ring slots, which is unfortunate, but like you say, the game was balanced around you having soul form HP so body form HP is more of a bonus. Dark Souls 3, I guess, just does the same thing, but uses the UI to make it feel less punitive.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grey Fox posted:

http://kotaku.com/heres-the-official-trailer-for-middle-earth-shadows-of-1792780562

CG trailer for new Shadow of Mordor game looks hot. That's some Blizzard-level CG right there.

Is this suppose to be some sort of alternative universe of Middle Earth? Cause otherwise this story makes absolutely no sense.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Is this suppose to be some sort of alternative universe of Middle Earth? Cause otherwise this story makes absolutely no sense.

If you played the first game you'd know none of it makes any goddamn sense with the lord of the rings mythos, not even at a superficial level.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I said come in! posted:

The first game took place in the 60-year gap between Hobbit and LOTR, so I guess it's kind of a Rogue One-esque situation.

edit: I know/care fuckall about Middle Earth canon, the first game was loving awesome so this is Cool and Good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

If you played the first game you'd know none of it makes any goddamn sense with the lord of the rings mythos, not even at a superficial level.

I didn't play the first game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I didn't play the first game.

U should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG_PuxFDwPw

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Don't waste your time with any of the DLC of the first game, though. It just sucks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hahah okay this is really funny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Grey Fox posted:

Don't waste your time with any of the DLC of the first game, though. It just sucks.

Yeah, like I would've been more interested if there was a single DLC just added those unique monsters and powers to the base game, but as it is it's just not different enough to be any fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Grey Fox posted:

What's kind of bad about the GOTY edition with all its DLC is that some of the starter runes it gives you are so mindlessly OP that you'll be annihilating Orcs from level 1, when the system works best if you die at least a little bit.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

What's kind of bad about the GOTY edition with all its DLC is that some of the starter runes it gives you are so mindlessly OP that you'll be annihilating Orcs from level 1, when the system works best if you die at least a little bit.
Did not know this; I binged hard on the vanilla version and then moved on to DLC once it was out and was really disappointed.

edit: can you disable the DLC from installing if you buy the GOTY version on Steam or is it all one big, single package?

edit2: nevermind, looks like you can buy the vanilla game on Steam by itself anyway

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 27, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't know, I liked the Wraith guy DLC, it added a much needed actual end boss fight to the game and filled in some of the story blanks in the full game. The other one wasn't good though, yeah.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I like this bit about the sequel:

quote:

The open-world action-adventure game is brought to life through the expansion of the award-winning Nemesis System.
Looking forward to that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Grey Fox posted:

Did not know this; I binged hard on the vanilla version and then moved on to DLC once it was out and was really disappointed.

edit: can you disable the DLC from installing if you buy the GOTY version on Steam or is it all one big, single package?

I bought it off Bundlestars which gave me separate Steam codes for everything, IIRC. You can always just choose to NOT equip the OP DLC runes but I didn't know any better and once pandora's box has been opened it's hard to purposely gimp yourself.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I bought it off Bundlestars which gave me separate Steam codes for everything, IIRC. You can always just choose to NOT equip the OP DLC runes but I didn't know any better and once pandora's box has been opened it's hard to purposely gimp yourself.
Yeah, the feeling you get from going from a kinda-ok swordsman to a dude who just annihilates everything over the course of the story/game was where the real rush comes from, at least for me. To start out super-powerful would certainly take away from a lot of the game's original appeal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Other than more monsters and bosses to fight that are better designed combat encounters instead of just QTEs, my main hope for this sequel is that it pays off the feeling of "building an army" you get in the second half of the original game with some actual huge battles. Even if they're just kind of chaotic set dressing for a boss fight, it would rule to have all out "opening flashback of Fellowship" levels of battles between your orcs and the baddie's orcs.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The way that captains you previously defeated could come back stronger and way uglier was super cool to me. I died to a captain early on, took my revenge, and then he came back twice. Some time later I'm wrapping up the main questline and invade some kind of super secret fortress with a bunch of mind-controlled orcs AND GUESS WHO SHOWS UP? The same loving guy, with some fresh scars.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I'm enjoying my year in gaming and I have figured out what to do for 2018's gaming!

I'm going to go through my uncompleted games in alphabetical order. Each one gets at least 6 hours of play. If after six hours I am not having fun, then it goes in the bin. If I do enjoy it, then I don't stop playing it till I complete it.

(Multiplayer games do not count). Ha! From now on, all years are gimmick years.

2019 will probably be: Play every game in the '1001 games you should play before you die' book.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Shadow of Mordor was really fun when you started but after about 3-4 hours you were insanely overpowered and the only thing that could really kill you was like 4 captains showing up at once.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

VideoGames posted:

I'm enjoying my year in gaming and I have figured out what to do for 2018's gaming!

I'm going to go through my uncompleted games in alphabetical order. Each one gets at least 6 hours of play. If after six hours I am not having fun, then it goes in the bin. If I do enjoy it, then I don't stop playing it till I complete it.

(Multiplayer games do not count). Ha! From now on, all years are gimmick years.

2019 will probably be: Play every game in the '1001 games you should play before you die' book.

I like this idea. I should do it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The insane power curve that exists in every open-world game is why I'm just gonna start Horizon on the hardest difficulty, even if it does feel like Robot Souls early on.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Strictly regimented gaming aka the 9th circle of hell

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Nemesis System is worth the price of admission to the first game. As in, I felt like the money I spent on the game was entirely worth it and I didn't get anywhere close to finishing the main story. I just hosed around for a bunch of hours hunting orcs.

Literally everyone else has said this, but I'd love to see the Nemesis System in a different game in the future. It'd be pretty cool in a crime game with gang warfare, for example, especially if it also applied on your side (your sidekicks getting offed, your own minions moving up or down the ranks, maybe someone deciding they'd be a better leader than you, that kind of thing). I'm even willing to suspend my disbelief for the whole "enemy gets killed definitively but comes back" thing. If I killed a guy with a headshot, just say I hit him in the jaw, or just that he has a steel plate in his head now, and I'll shrug and move on. Actually, if this hypothetical game was about the story of your gang rather than the story of a specific character, you could make player death permanent, and you come back as whoever got promoted to take your old character's job. Any advancement system could be tied to your gang instead of any specific character (better hideout, access to better gear, better training for members) so you never lose progress.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The insane power curve that exists in every open-world game is why I'm just gonna start Horizon on the hardest difficulty, even if it does feel like Robot Souls early on.

All this depends on whether you can change the difficulty at any time or if you're locked into whatever you picked at the start. In The Witcher 3 I started on normal and had a pretty tough time at first, but by the middle of the game I had to turn it up to Death March for enemies to pose any threat at all. (And then by the time Blood and Wine rolls around, the extra mutations are so hilariously overpowered that the only way you'd have any chance of something approaching a challenge would be by intentionally using starter gear or something.)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, it's complete nonsense and I've always thought that the games would be better served without the LOTR license, buy you gotta have those Hot Brands (tm). :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

All this depends on whether you can change the difficulty at any time or if you're locked into whatever you picked at the start. In The Witcher 3 I started on normal and had a pretty tough time at first, but by the middle of the game I had to turn it up to Death March for enemies to pose any threat at all. (And then by the time Blood and Wine rolls around, the extra mutations are so hilariously overpowered that the only way you'd have any chance of something approaching a challenge would be by intentionally using starter gear or something.)

The Witcher 3's combat really became a bummer once I realized that the only thing that could kill me was my own boredom if I just pumped up Quen, and the enemy AI was mostly too dumb to do anything about it.

• Locked thread