Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

hiddenmovement posted:

Dinosaurs = feathered isn't as clear cut as headlines make it.

Most dinosaurs were scaled. There's some evidence that ceratopsians had a bit of feathering here and there, but for the most part they are how you pictured them, give or take a little plumage along the back.

There is little evidence that large therapods had large, colourful, shafted feathers like modern birds. There is strong evidence they had fluffy downy feathers, but again it's not clear if they all had them (because there are certainly examples of certain species with scaled skin) or if they only appeared on juveniles which were lost as the animal matured. Eitherway, a T-Rex probably looked less like a flamingo and more like a wolf. Dromeosaurs are a different story, there is pretty strong fossil evidence that at least some of them had large feathered coverings so it stands to reason that most of them were probably like that. So Velociraptor, which was actually a teeny little dinosaur with a crocodile like snout, was probably Absolutely Fabulous.

Big fluffy feathers like the ones we associated with modern birds have evolved to allow the animal to fly and conserve heat. They may have been evolutionary advantageous to a small therapod, but If you are a 16 meter, 8 tonne monster, you aren't flying nor losing heaps of heat. How does it benefit the animal to evolve them? It probably doesn't.

lol you're completely and utterly incorrect

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/12/feathered-dinosaur-tail-amber-theropod-myanmar-burma-cretaceous/

The prevailing scientific theory is that many, many dinosaurs were highly feathered. Every time there's a major advancement in fossil analysis or a new, better preserved fossils are found there are feathers. Don't forget that dinosaurs were on earth for longer than anything post-ice age has been and covered a wide variety of ecological niches. Feathers were to dinosaurs as hair is to mammals.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Improbable Lobster posted:

lol you're completely and utterly incorrect

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/12/feathered-dinosaur-tail-amber-theropod-myanmar-burma-cretaceous/

The prevailing scientific theory is that many, many dinosaurs were highly feathered. Every time there's a major advancement in fossil analysis or a new, better preserved fossils are found there are feathers. Don't forget that dinosaurs were on earth for longer than anything post-ice age has been and covered a wide variety of ecological niches. Feathers were to dinosaurs as hair is to mammals.

The article you just posted literally describes a juvenile coelurosaur, so a small young predatory dinosaur exactly like I described. Thanks for playing, try reading your own link next time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

hiddenmovement posted:

The article you just posted literally describes a juvenile coelurosaur, so a small young predatory dinosaur exactly like I described. Thanks for playing, try reading your own link next time.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/scientists-discover-a-gigantic-feathered-tyrannosaur-172633563/

The Yutyrannus huali was a 9 meter long feathered dino, the largest currently confirmed and not a feathered juvenile.

I assume that since it doesn't fit with your nostalgia for a movie about genetically engineered frog monsters then 30 feet won't be big enough or some poo poo like that.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 27, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The sword fight in The 13th Warrior is pretty cool. Too bad the rest of the plot thread about the prince stirring poo poo up go lost in the cuts.

Rising Sun (The movie) was really boring and I can't remember much that happened outside of a few main points. The whole Japanese economic scare or whatever it was mostly over by the time I really became aware of anything outside kid stuff so that just seems bizarre. The Japanese guys in the movie are written as a bunch of almost extraterrestrial weirdos who cover up murders with their expertise with VCR technology. Seeing Wesley Snipes before he became a punchline was a bit of a trip too. This was also probably the point Connery's career started declining due in no small part to bad decisions in choosing what to star in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

To be fair, Timeline is Timeline with teleportation instead of time travel.

Well yeah but instead of going backwards in time the experiments in Fold were to go from point A to point B

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I know everyone is all hyped about Logan, but please be aware that The Shack is also getting released this week after being delayed for months.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/scientists-discover-a-gigantic-feathered-tyrannosaur-172633563/

The Yutyrannus huali was a 9 meter long feathered dino, the largest currently confirmed and not a feathered juvenile.

I assume that since it doesn't fit with your nostalgia for a movie about genetically engineered frog monsters then 30 feet won't be big enough or some poo poo like that.
You're either not reading the articles you're posting, or you didn't read the guy's original post. He clearly said there's evidence that some had simple, shaftless feathers (like those covering 90% of a modern bird's body), but that they likely didn't have the big decorative flight feathers that people generally imagine when they hear dinosaurs were feathered. Thus, 'more like wolves than flamingos'. This article is about a dinosaur with no flight feathers, and indeed, feathers even more rudimentary than down. So, basically, fur.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

THE ARTICLE YOU JUST LINKED, YOU IDIOT posted:

this dinosaur’s body was covered in fine, wispy feathers

Do you just google random links, spam them into threads, and just cross your fingers in the hope they say what you want them to say? You clearly haven't read either article properly. READ ARTICLES BEYOND THE FIRST PARAGRAPH.

Also lmao @ Warren Beatty

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Casimir Radon posted:

The sword fight in The 13th Warrior is pretty cool. Too bad the rest of the plot thread about the prince stirring poo poo up go lost in the cuts.

Rising Sun (The movie) was really boring and I can't remember much that happened outside of a few main points. The whole Japanese economic scare or whatever it was mostly over by the time I really became aware of anything outside kid stuff so that just seems bizarre. The Japanese guys in the movie are written as a bunch of almost extraterrestrial weirdos who cover up murders with their expertise with VCR technology. Seeing Wesley Snipes before he became a punchline was a bit of a trip too. This was also probably the point Connery's career started declining due in no small part to bad decisions in choosing what to star in.

Rising Sun is so bad for a number of reasons. But regarding its Japan-scare elements, even during production it was already derided for its bizarre "UGH these evil Japanese people just so WEIRD AND CORRUPT AARRGH!" plot. Wesley Snipes was literally cast in the movie so that the producers could say "See of course our movie isn't racist, we cast a black person in it!" Sean Connery took the role because the character in the novel was literally written with him in mind. Given Connery's ego I'm sure "okay well THIS script was actually written specifically for you and you play a zen master investigator cop fluent in Japanese who gets to dunk on the entire cast over and over again" was an easy sell.

I can't remember the book too well, but IIRC it's much more just about Snipes' and Connery's characters and how much they hate each other, like I think they straight up brawl with each other and everything.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Improbable Lobster's stupidity aside I want a new version of Jurassic Park with the T-Rex replaced by this thing. It might even be more terrifying.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PJOmega posted:

Improbable Lobster's stupidity aside I want a new version of Jurassic Park with the T-Rex replaced by this thing. It might even be more terrifying.

You could probably raise the money real quick through crowdfunding but the donors would claim false advertising once they see what you meant by Jurassic Park: Furry Edition.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Rising Sun is so bad for a number of reasons. But regarding its Japan-scare elements, even during production it was already derided for its bizarre "UGH these evil Japanese people just so WEIRD AND CORRUPT AARRGH!" plot. Wesley Snipes was literally cast in the movie so that the producers could say "See of course our movie isn't racist, we cast a black person in it!" Sean Connery took the role because the character in the novel was literally written with him in mind. Given Connery's ego I'm sure "okay well THIS script was actually written specifically for you and you play a zen master investigator cop fluent in Japanese who gets to dunk on the entire cast over and over again" was an easy sell.

I can't remember the book too well, but IIRC it's much more just about Snipes' and Connery's characters and how much they hate each other, like I think they straight up brawl with each other and everything.
I want to believe you could write something good based partly on Japan-scare stuff without turning it into a incoherent racist mess, but now that it's over there's not really any reason to do so. With the crisis past I don't think anything that delves into it would sell very well now.

My favorite bit of media that's related to the subject is Back to the Future Part III having the bit where 1950's Doc Brown exclaims that it's no wonder the machine broke down since all these lovely components are from Japan.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

We can't prove they weren't huge fatbirds

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Was Rising Sun the one that was supposed to be set in LA but Connery really wanted to try out a new golf course during filming so they moved to Miami?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lobok posted:

You could probably raise the money real quick through crowdfunding but the donors would claim false advertising once they see what you meant by Jurassic Park: Furry Edition.

:rimshot:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

You can't convince me they weren't fat birds!

:kimchi:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Jurassic Park: Kakapo would be chill. Just a bunch of fatbirds making GBS threads and humping everything.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

FilthyImp posted:

Jurassic Park: Kakapo would be chill. Just a bunch of fatbirds making GBS threads and humping everything.

I'd watch the poo poo out of Jurassic Park: Kea. A bunch of feathery assholes destroying cars and stealing poo poo.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

After playing enough Dwarf Fortress, any movie where someone massacres all keas would be a good movie. But it would be 90 minutes of people getting interrupted by keas and not doing their jobs while keas steal everything, then finally the crossbow squad arrives

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Goddammit china

https://twitter.com/thrglobal/status/836140955027689472

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Wait, how did a movie about zombies even get released in China?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TTBF posted:

$$

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TTBF posted:

They're virus infected people, not literal undead horrors, just like 28 Weeks Later.

Of course they rejected World War Z so...

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Reminder that China being China there is pretty much no way that number isn't massively over inflated

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If James Wan is not addicted to making bioluminescent underwater Game of Thrones yet, maybe someone can give him 5 million to make a movie based on RE7.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Cardboard Box A posted:

They're virus infected people, not literal undead horrors, just like 28 Weeks Later.

Of course they rejected World War Z so...

China doesn't like Brad Pitt; also the source novel shits all over the Chinese government

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HannibalBarca posted:

China doesn't like Brad Pitt; also the source novel shits all over the Chinese government

Yeah, I think the virus not only started in China, but spread through black market organs.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Dinosaurs are cool but unfortunately they are just animals, which really cuts down on the number of interesting movies you can make about them because you've gotta jump through a lot of narrative hoops to justify bringing something into a story that really only wants to eat food and mate. Like it adds a lot of complexity to a narrative, and the net result is essentially the same as just introducing a bear or a tiger. Jurassic Park works so well because the dinosaurs fit cleanly into the narrative: they act like wild animals when they escape, they're there to prove a point about scientific overreach and the unpredictability of nature, and it uses the cultural fascination we have with dinosaurs by making the whole story about a theme park. It's all integrated so neatly, it's a great premise. Outside of that, they're really only good for time travel plots, lost world stuff and the faux nature documentary, which is why someone should cough up a hundred million dollars and make another Walking With Dinosaurs.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Red Bones posted:

Dinosaurs are cool but unfortunately they are just animals, which really cuts down on the number of interesting movies you can make about them because you've gotta jump through a lot of narrative hoops to justify bringing something into a story that really only wants to eat food and mate.

this applies to people too

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Which is why the leaked Jurassic Park 4 script is the way forward for the series. World even laid the groundwork.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Do the Chinese have problemswith zombie movies? I can understand them not releasing the movie where the book shits all over them, but what's wrong with other zombie movies?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Do the Chinese have problemswith zombie movies? I can understand them not releasing the movie where the book shits all over them, but what's wrong with other zombie movies?

There are various laws against story content such as "no timetravel" or "no skeletons" which they use to keep out content they dont approve of without having to say whatever hurt feeling they are assigning to it. Once you learn what those things actually mean, such as "no timetravel" means "no story where the CCP doesnt come into existence/isnt the best thing ever" it becomes easier to parae why some get blocked for those rules and others dont.

Theyre also used regularly to hamper competition, both foreign and domestic such as the time they passed a law saying "no shows about celebrities children" when copy cat imitators started spawning everywhere for one of their top rated shows. The fay after the law was rescinded that same network mysteriosuly had a completed 4th season of their show ready to go with full advertising push.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 27, 2017

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Barudak posted:

There are various laws against story content such as "no timetravel" or "no skeletons" which they use to keep out content they dont approve of without having to say whatever hurt feeling they are assigning to it. Once you learn what those things actually mean, such as "no timetravel" means "no story where the CCP doesnt come into existence/isnt the best thing ever" it becomes easier to parae why some get blocked for those rules and others dont.

Does that mean they never got Army of Darkness? Because that should be a crime against humanity.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
And no skeletons is just a good rule, loving skeletons man. :byodood:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Does that mean they never got Army of Darkness? Because that should be a crime against humanity.

If it came out before like, 2006 no it never came out there.

Watching network shows and hosts try to hype star wars where they have no cultural context versus Harey Potter where everybody loving loves it was interesting.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Orc cop movie Bright preview -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksSRIOP7u4I

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This is a Max Landis joint, is it not?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
For a movie that's supposedly mostly about orcs that trailer really, really underplayed the orc elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
They're ashamed.

• Locked thread