Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Gorewar posted:

The fact that Canadian rednecks are so afraid of encroaching Islam is so weird, since all of the Muslims I have ever met are the least loving pushy people regarding religion. On the other hand, there were tons of people I knew who were Christian or Catholic when I was growing up in Northern Alberta who were anything but.

It's a question that answers itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Charlie Angus has thrown his hat in for NDP leader now. Is he popular out east?

Unfortunately no and I doubt he will gain much traction with the Ontario NDP voters because something something NOT FROM ONTARIO NOT A REAL LEADER.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Uhh, Charlie Angus's seat is in Ontario.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Helsing posted:

Uhh, Charlie Angus's seat is in Ontario.

Haha holy moly am I ever out of it today. I honest to god got him mixed up with Topp in my head.

18 hours without eating and with only 3 hours of sleep last night.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

https://i.reddituploads.com/8d2bcb2d5aad4af5938c58143d579b94?fit=max&h=1536&w=1536&s=bf42f076de32e1af98a8f93a422f423b

electoral reform protest in vancouver today lmao you motherfuckers deserve this loving country

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Charlie Angus has thrown his hat in for NDP leader now. Is he popular out east?

I don't think his French is very good sadly. I don't know if he'd be a good leader but I think he's a good MP.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Is Charlie Angus the guy who quit twitter because he couldn't stop swearing on it?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Normy posted:

Is Charlie Angus the guy who quit twitter because he couldn't stop swearing on it?

No, that was Pat Martin :(

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

namaste faggots posted:

https://i.reddituploads.com/8d2bcb2d5aad4af5938c58143d579b94?fit=max&h=1536&w=1536&s=bf42f076de32e1af98a8f93a422f423b

electoral reform protest in vancouver today lmao you motherfuckers deserve this loving country

Oof. It hurts my heart.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

namaste faggots posted:

Short of hanging politicians from street lamps I really doubt anyone in a position of power gives a flying gently caress about organized protest in TYOOJ 2017. It's feel-better noisemaking, it accomplishes nothing.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Dinky ones, yeah.

But get 20k+ people out on the streets and shutting poo poo down, pols start sweating a bit.

Not like that would happen here, but it's still a thing.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Rime posted:

Short of hanging politicians from street lamps I really doubt anyone in a position of power gives a flying gently caress about organized protest in TYOOJ 2017. It's feel-better noisemaking, it accomplishes nothing.

Peaceful protest without the implicit threat of costly violence and/or economic disruption if certain issues are not addressed accomplishes nothing, any form of protest above a certain size is reacted to by the state in the same way anyway

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

namaste faggots posted:

It would have been better to do it at 5 PM on a work day where people would notice.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Hijacking thread to talk about bootleg pizza

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ontario might update its labour laws:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-changing-workplaces-review-labour-law-1.3994571

quote:

Premier Kathleen Wynne's government is about to get advice that could lead to a significant shakeup of the laws governing work in Ontario.

The Changing Workplaces Review is examining just about everything related to labour law in this province, including sick pay, overtime, how workers can join unions and employers' responsibilities to contract workers.

It could trigger the most significant reforms to the Employment Standards Act and the Labour Relations Act since Mike Harris was premier.

"The world of work that I went into as a young man is not the world of work that young people are going into today," Labour Minister Kevin Flynn said in an interview with CBC News. "We need to make sure that the regulations are protecting the most vulnerable."

The review is focusing on the new realities of the millennial workforce, including the spread of part-time and contract work. Noting that the province's current employment laws were drawn up in the 1990s, Flynn said they "need to be updated for the world of 2017."

Last July, the advisers laid out more than 200 options for reforms to protect vulnerable workers in precarious jobs. They include such ideas as requiring employers to give workers a minimum number of paid sick days, and to give workers advance notice of their shift schedules.

Their final recommendations are due to be handed to Flynn in the coming days.

The scope of the possible changes has the business community worried and the labor movement excited.

"It's a once-in-a-generation opportunity," said Ontario Federation of Labour president Chris Buckley.

"When you look at the change in the employment landscape across the province, it's well overdue," Buckley said in an interview with CBC News. "Doing nothing is not an option."

The recommendations "could fundamentally change the relationship between every employer and employee in the province," said Karl Baldauf, vice-president of the Ontario Chamber of Commerce. "We're challenging whether such sweeping reforms are necessary."

Flynn promises that any changes will strike a balance.

"What we need to achieve in this is to make sure that precarious and vulnerable workers have the protections they should have, at the same time ensure that Ontario still has a very competitive economy," Flynn said.

Here are some of the options that the government's special advisers are considering:

Sick pay, overtime, vacation pay, minimum wage
  • Making paid sick days mandatory.
  • Boosting the minimum required paid vacation to three weeks per year from the current two weeks.
  • Lowering the threshold at which overtime pay must kick in to 40 hours, down from the current 44 hours.
  • Abolishing the lower minimum wage for students under 18 and people who serve alcohol.
  • Requiring employers to pay their part-time workers the same as full-time workers doing similar jobs.

Casual and contract workers
  • Forcing employers to post employees' schedules in advance.
  • Compensating workers for last-minute schedule changes.
  • Limiting the proportion of an employer's workforce that can be from temp agencies.

Unionizing
  • Banning or limiting the use of replacement workers during a strike.
  • Making it easier for the employees of franchises to form unions.
  • Allowing domestic workers employed in private homes to form unions.

Employment Standards Act exemptions
Under Ontario's employment laws, some rules, including those governing overtime, don't apply to certain types of jobs. The advisers are considering whether to lift any of these exemptions that currently apply to managers, janitors, IT professionals and residential care workers. They're also considering whether interns and trainees should be covered by the Employment Standards Act.

I don't really trust the OLP to actually make good changes, but at least these ideas are out there somewhere.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Haha holy poo poo possible OT for IT workers. They *are* scared.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Rust Martialis posted:

"Here are some of the options that the government's special advisers are considering"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Rust Martialis posted:

Who would this even apply to? What IT worker is not salaried and not a contractor?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
but guys, my power bills

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

namaste faggots posted:

Protests are cool and good.

Sure they won't do anything unless you have many thousands of people on the street and they're willing to do stuff like block traffic and disrupt business and shut down offices. But the idea is good.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/ndp-leader-john-horgan-holds-final-council-meeting-before-campaign

quote:

With the provincial election just 10 weeks away, NDP leader John Horgan spent Saturday morning rallying party members in a packed Vancouver hotel conference room while laying out a broad plan for victory.

At the party’s final provincial council meeting before voters go to the polls May 9, Horgan spurred cries of “Shame!” from the room early in his speech when he made mention of past B.C. Liberal cuts to education and understaffed care homes.

“How long did that take? I’m always mindful of that. The first ‘Shame!’ is where I always have to stop and take a glass of water,” said Horgan, drawing laughter. He then called for one more “Shame!” on behalf of seniors before taking a sip.

The party is set to ramp up its public presence in the coming months in order to get its message to voters province-wide as it aims to unseat the Liberals, who have held power since 2001.

Horgan told party members they have three key tasks before them: Create good-paying jobs; make living in the province more affordable; and ensure public services are available to those who need them. He said $10-a-day childcare and improved public education “are the foundation of our offer.”

After his speech, Horgan told reporters he believes British Columbians are ready for change.

“I think they’re yearning for a government that puts them first,” he said. “They’ve had, for too long, a government that’s only focused on the wealthy and the well-connected.

“Now’s the time to have a government that has people at the centre making sure we’re providing services, making sure we’re creating jobs and, most importantly, we have an affordable British Columbia.”

Horgan said the party will lay out its fiscal plan in the coming weeks based on an analysis of the Liberal budget delivered Tuesday.

He reiterated several promises made since he became party leader in May 2014. He slammed hikes in Medical Services Plan premiums and ICBC and B.C. Hydro rates under the Liberals and said his party still plans to implement a $15 minimum wage, to be introduced in steps and in consultation with small businesses.

On housing affordability, Horgan said more supply is needed to bring down cost, which would require senior levels of government to co-operate with municipalities. Horgan said he would meet with mayors on housing in tandem with their work on transportation.

Asked about disability assistance, Horgan said his focus would be “first and foremost with the most vulnerable.”

To end the overdose crisis, Horgan said his party believes the Riverview Hospital lands in Coquitlam would be an appropriate site for the delivery of addictions and mental-health treatment, a plan the current government already announced in 2015.

for all you loving morons about to vote bcndp in may

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Who would this even apply to? What IT worker is not salaried and not a contractor?

Lots of salaried workers are entitled to overtime. But not dirt janitors or computer janitors.

quote:

Employees on a Fixed Salary

If an employee’s hours of work change from day to day but his or her weekly pay stays the same, the employee is paid a fixed salary.

A fixed salary compensates an employee for all non-overtime hours up to and including 44 hours a week. After 44 hours, the employee is entitled to overtime pay.

[example]

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/pubs/guide/overtime.php

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
IT is now a management position, your direct reports are: You.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Lots of salaried workers are entitled to overtime. But not dirt janitors or computer janitors.

Makes sense, somehow I forgot that, pretty much everyone I know on a salary is clocking lieu-time instead of overtime pay. Oddly they never have time to use it.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 27, 2017

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Considering most employers try to classify everyone who works in computers whether computer janitors, developers, designers, or *insert tech consulting job type thing here" under that category if they actually changed it that would be pretty cool I can't think of anyone I know in software engineering, programming, etc... who has ever been able to successfully claim overtime or time off in lieu. Everyone always gets the "hmmm no you're an "IT Professional" we don't have to lol also technically we don't have to give you lunch and can work you infinity hours because there's no max hour limits all hail Dark Lord Harris.

Oh man the tears from Deloitte (or any of the other big firms) if they actually had to pay their tech consultants overtime or give time off in lieu for all their 60 hour fully billable work weeks would be worth voting Liberal alone :allears: .

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 27, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sarnia: This is probably an improvement

https://www.facebook.com/lpuglianomrowiec/videos/10210124143034691/

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

vyelkin posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-changing-workplaces-review-labour-law-1.3994571

I don't really trust the OLP to actually make good changes, but at least these ideas are out there somewhere.

quote:

Sick pay, overtime, vacation pay, minimum wage
Making paid sick days mandatory.
Boosting the minimum required paid vacation to three weeks per year from the current two weeks.
Lowering the threshold at which overtime pay must kick in to 40 hours, down from the current 44 hours.
Abolishing the lower minimum wage for students under 18 and people who serve alcohol.
Requiring employers to pay their part-time workers the same as full-time workers doing similar jobs.

Unionizing
Banning or limiting the use of replacement workers during a strike.
Making it easier for the employees of franchises to form unions.
Allowing domestic workers employed in private homes to form unions.

Employment Standards Act exemptions
Under Ontario's employment laws, some rules, including those governing overtime, don't apply to certain types of jobs. The advisers are considering whether to lift any of these exemptions that currently apply to managers, janitors, IT professionals [:vince:]and residential care workers. They're also considering whether interns and trainees should be covered by the Employment Standards Act

:fap:

infernal machines posted:

IT is now a management position, your direct reports are: You.

Makes sense, somehow I forgot that, pretty much everyone I know on a salary is clocking lieu-time instead of overtime pay. Oddly they never have time to use it.

I seem to have lots of Lieu time but can't figure out how to translate this into more dollars

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I guess it's only 'under consideration' but I'm shocked governments anywhere are considering stuff like this in 2017.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Considering most employers try to classify everyone who works in computers whether computer janitors, developers, designers, or *insert tech consulting job type thing here" under that category if they actually changed it lol.

Oh man the tears from Deloitte (or any of the other big firms) if they actually had to pay their tech consultants overtime or give time off in lieu for all their 60 hour fully billable work weeks would be worth voting Liberal alone :allears: .

"But we pay them when they're on the bench!!! It's more secure than contracting!! :qq:"

Meanwhile the employee is never on the bench for more than a week every six months. If work dries up more than that, out come the pink slips.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

tekz posted:

I guess it's only 'under consideration' but I'm shocked governments anywhere are considering stuff like this in 2017.

I'm surprised everyone's so excited. It's the Liberals, remember.

Campaign from the left, govern from the right.

This is a campaign set-up. I predict a commission to investigate the economic effects, results to be released after the election.

e: But I hope they do it.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I believe this poo poo even less than I believed JTs outright lies on electoral reform. This is a party which is aggressively privatizing the crown jewel of their public assets and is notoriously corrupt towards business interests.

:cmon: it's 2017, are you loving daft?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It almost seems too good to hope for, doesn't it?

I know at my old call centre we never knew what was happening, shift-wise until it was way too late to make any plans for the next week. Gods know that alone would make a huge difference to the quality of people's lives. Of course, I think it's also safe to assume that they're suggesting more schedule notice because no-one has a proper full-time job anymore and folks will have to make the one part-time job work with the schedule they've got for what Tangerine's Twitter ads charmingly euphemise as a 'side hustle'.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ontarians in 2018 - Maybe this time there's actually candy in the van!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me five times in a row, shame on you.

- Ontarians

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's more like
"Fool me once, well that's just politics the alternatives were even worse. Fool me every loving single time? Ehh the other parties are still worse..."

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Working 60 hours isn't legal already.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They aren't going to win the election, so they might panic try and ram those changes through in which case :getin:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

They aren't going to win the election, so they might panic try and ram those changes through in which case :getin:

Do you honestly believe Patrick Brown can keep the OPC from doing something spectacularly stupid, offensive, or tone deaf for 36 days?

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
For some reason I've been having a very difficult time finding historical budgets for federal departments. Particularly the dfo, but I'd like to look at others. Anybody know where I can get that info? I can find precious budgets by year. But it'd be nice if I didn't have to go through individual pages

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/tools/srt/coverage_government_it.php

"IT workers" are exempt from the normal legal weekly/daily hours of work limits, along with a number of other exemptions like having to pay overtime or give a lunch break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Hi I work on a farm for the summer and this isn't true