Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So what do y'all think the odds are of Utopia's release date being announced during GDC this week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I would say significant. We can't be too much farther.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I jumped back into this because of the NASA exoplanet press release, and I'm having decent fun with it after only putting a few hours into it at release. But I'm reading all this cool stuff in Utopia that makes me think I'll save my second campaign for that. There's no official release date yet?

This thread moves fairly quickly buuut a few pages back someone made a pretty convincing argument for May being the possible release month. I hope they are wrong, since that just seems like an impossible amount of time between then and now :/

That being said, some of the Paradox team are at GDC and they mentioned in a tweet that they'll be releasing information on upcoming products, so let's hope we hear sooner than later about when Utopia will be dropping!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Paradox never announces a release date until like a month at most ahead of the launch. If it's announced this week it must be closer to launch than we realize/expect.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Disclaimer: this is not a serious post.

It's hard to parody bad Stellaris ideas because no matter what you come up with, someone has suggested far worse in complete earnestness at some point in this thread.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
has anyone suggested porting Historically Accurate Pirates to stellaris yet

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
so when am I getting a legend of galactic heroes ship and/or species mod

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Paradox never announces a release date until like a month at most ahead of the launch. If it's announced this week it must be closer to launch than we realize/expect.

It's hard to parody bad Stellaris ideas because no matter what you come up with, someone has suggested far worse in complete earnestness at some point in this thread.

QFT

Bohemian Nights posted:

so when am I getting a legend of galactic heroes ship and/or species mod

There already is one for the Alliance floating around the workshop. No Boring Gay German portraits to go with it, though.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Psycho Landlord posted:

QFT

There already is one for the Alliance floating around the workshop. No Boring Gay German portraits to go with it, though.

Oh, neat! Honestly I suppose I don't really care about a species mod or portraits etc, but the ship design for both the alliance and the empire look boss as hell in that series and I'd love to see it ingame

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Psycho Landlord posted:

QFT

Does it come with custom events where your homeworld constantly tries to backstab your fleets with stupid bullshit? For example, Space-ISIS assassinating your best admiral? :v:

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Considering how old and played out CK2 and EU4 are and how bad HOI4 currently is I think Stellaris is probably the best Paradox game right now.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Huskalator posted:

Considering how old and played out CK2 and EU4 are and how bad HOI4 currently is I think Stellaris is probably the best Paradox game right now.

what does 'played out' mean here

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Brother Entropy posted:

what does 'played out' mean here

It means he's a cool kid who doesn't like those games anymore and wants everyone to know that.

In all seriousness though, EUIV and CKII are feeling "played out" in terms of "I've already done most of what I am capable of/wanting to do in the games". Then again, I've got 432 hours played on CKII and 1,103 on EUIV. HoI4 is, in my view, the "worst" of the current games (not counting Vicky II as it's not current, in which case it's probably Vicky) and I still have 145 hours on that. Stellaris, despite only coming out last year, already has 698 hours logged.

Basically I think if you play any game for like over 400 hours of single player it's probably natural to hit a point where you've sort of done everything, and the only fun thing left is playing with friends. Each expansion will obviously boost your interest again for a while, but depending on the expansion and how much you've played will effect that.

Like I didn't pick up rights of man straight away and played some EUIV, then after a while bought Rights of Man, and basically realised that the bulk of the game changing stuff was in the update, and the DLC for me basically just added traits and some other relatively minor things. Played another couple of games and then came out.

The next CKII expansion and the next Stellaris expansions though seem to be adding entire dimensions to the game that are new, so both will probably tempt me back for quite a while.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 27, 2017

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I think that varies a bit from person to person. I have over 1000 hours on EU4 and exactly 0 minutes of that was in Multiplayer, and the same was true for Civilization 4 (I actually might have over 2000 hours of Civ4). Multiplayer is more often a deterrent than an attraction to me.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Zurai posted:

I think that varies a bit from person to person. I have over 1000 hours on EU4 and exactly 0 minutes of that was in Multiplayer, and the same was true for Civilization 4 (I actually might have over 2000 hours of Civ4). Multiplayer is more often a deterrent than an attraction to me.

I don't see how multiplayer could possibly be a deterrent any more than single player could be. You don't have to play it. I can see how a lack of either options is a deterrent, but not merely the fact it exists.

I was convinced of how fun EUIV multiplayer was after a friend playing as War Pope had his pope leading an army, called another friend who was Spain into the war, and started WW1 about 400 years early as it was back in the days of chain alliances.

Then the Spanish guy kept shouting at the game because super death stacks of rebels kept spawning in the new world (before colonies were a thing).

Stellaris multiplayer convinced me after a group of friends and I spent about 16 hours playing a game together and it basically ended because one of them was absolutely huge and was playing some sort of nightmare insect race and basically fought and beat all of us at once.

If you don't like that it's cool, but it's not like paradox is making online only games that force you to play with people.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying that the presence of multiplayer in a game repels me, except for those games where they throw in a single player mode just to say they have one, just that multiplayer itself holds actually-zero attraction for me in the vast majority of games (and especially in strategy games).

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I like Pdox multiplayer as a co-op affair more than anything. Like playing the same nation in CK2 or me and my buddy turning the US and Brazil fascist in HOI and rampaging all over the place. We haven't done any multi in Stellaris yet, though we plan to after Utopia drops.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I realised I hit a point in HOI4 where I'd kinda done everything, but I can see myself playing more EUIV and CK2 since they're a lot more random. Like, exploitation aside, the guys who win wars in HOI4 are always going to be the same 10 or so countries; everyone else is piggybacking or a speedbump.

But HOI4 covers like ten years, there's much less room to uproot history at that level.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

That was that 'Super-Pirates' thing, wasn't it?

That'd be tricky at present, since the Pirates are a spawn, not a true faction on the map.

The closest would probably be a map spawn where almost every star has monsters/pirates on it. Or seriously bump up the 'Birth of Space Piracy' event-ramp up the strength of the spawned ships, ramp up the skills and abilities of the spawned admirals.

EDIT: Hmm. If one turned the AI to 'on' for Pirates in 00_country_types, perhaps? But then....they still couldn't do colonisation and building and such, because they have no Spaceport. I'm not up enough on that sort of thing to be able to change or add such a spawn.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 27, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Bloodly posted:

That'd be tricky at present, since the Pirates are a spawn, not a true faction on the map.

The closest would probably be a map spawn where almost every star has monsters/pirates on it. Or seriously bump up the 'Birth of Space Piracy' event-ramp up the strength of the spawned ships, ramp up the skills and abilities of the spawned admirals.

EDIT: Hmm. If one turned the AI to 'on' for Pirates in 00_country_types, perhaps? But then....they still couldn't do colonisation and building and such, because they have no Spaceport. I'm not up enough on that sort of thing to be able to change or add such a spawn.

you could also add historically scientifically accurate features like a -50% mineral malus for pirates attacking transports, scientists periodically defecting to the university of pirate science, and pirate saboteurs blowing up space docks. any of these could be suppressed for a year by negotiating with the pirates (-2000 energy -100 influence) or fighting them (half of your fleet defects because piracy pays better than government work)

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I quite enjoyed multiplayer in EUIV and Stellaris, both co-op and versus, but for some reason CK2 multiplayer never held much interest for me. I think it was largely the amount of management that you have to do in CK2, which led to constant pausing and very, very slow games. I will say that once custom nations were added for EUIV, the hilarity level in multiplayer rose significantly.

I understand why some people avoid multiplayer modes, playing at your own pace is a valid preference.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Wiz posted:

Pacifist should be about maximizing the utility of your systems, building tall, you know... peaceful development.

Having a Pacifist ethic in a game where the main activity is/was war was perhaps not the best idea, but I honestly do like it and the fact that it opens up for the existence of isolationist/peaceful empires. It just needs to become more viable as a playstyle.

It'd be cool if there was a set of unique buildings (erotic pleasure station that produces a unique resource, pls) and/or empire-wide perks that could be unlocked by going X number of consecutive years without being involved in a war. Or perhaps it unlocks the ability to broker peace treaties between other empires. Just anything besides more +%Happiness. That would get me to try Pacifist.. maybe.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Given the AI never deals with them, I dunno. That would basically cripple you. Like, wasn't the thing that the AI also had to deal with various super-pirate BS?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, turned robots off and now it's chaining buildings fast.
There was a bug where the sector AI wasn't de-allocating robot resources (allocate minerals for a robot -> build robot -> (remove "minerals for a robot" from the "don't spend" queue should go here) -> allocate minerals for next project) so you'd end up with a stack of unspendable minerals being saved for robots that were already built. Looks like it's still there and also affecting space construction.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What's the point in integrating? Liberate -> Federate works so much quicker, and you offload all the faction suppression bullshit to your newly-liberated pals.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

there should be a type of federation where i'm the only leader. and all the federee borders turn shades of my color 🤗

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's a federation formed entirely of states carved out of my neighbours, 5-6 planets at a time. They all share my ethos, happily join in every war I propose, and while their naval contributions are pitiful they effectively give me blanket sensor coverage of the current target so I can hop my jump-drive death blob where it's needed. I've got three different power blocs on my borders and I am taking turns liberating all three so the truces run out just as I need them to.

In the cheerful brightness of the xenophile materialist future there is only rotating war.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

GotLag posted:

What's the point in integrating? Liberate -> Federate works so much quicker, and you offload all the faction suppression bullshit to your newly-liberated pals.

You get their stuff? Pretty straightforward mechanic imo

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Integrate vs Liberate -> Federate comes down to how big you want your piss stain on the map to be since both will work towards a domination victory but with a federation you need 50% more worlds to win. I prefer Integrating since it gives me more control over a larger military and the ability to guide how worlds are built up. The other benefit is they immediately hit your tech level and you can standardise your ship setups while you await whatever end game crisis comes along (it is long range lasers and kiting, always kiting).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Wait, how do you kite in this game?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Truga posted:

Wait, how do you kite in this game?

Hite is probably a bad description. I do my research and set my ships up to be as long range as possible and as fast as possible so they keep range from what they are fighting and also have high evasion. This really helps against the end game crisis races since both tend to be close to mid range. By sticking to longer range, evasion and speed I can out range their weapons and take them on using less powerful fleets that take longer to win.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

"We don't sugarcoat it...buuuurp...they're really rapey."

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/836215674779414528

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
I was just wondering when the release date would be. Great news!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
That's a Friday. Sweet, get home from work and not have to worry about sleep for the next day.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Even better

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/836217981529128960

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Huh, I booked off work to get some stuff done those days.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Bloodly posted:

I wonder. With the play command you can at least tag over to them with the game paused. Could you possibly then have them conquer some planets and then let it play out that way? With the console I mean, as it would probably game over the moment it checks for owned planets...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

That's a Friday. Sweet, get home from work and not have to worry about sleep for the next day.
Or possibly, get home from work and have an exciting new game breaking bug that won't be hotfixed until tuesday. :v:

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Poil posted:

Or possibly, get home from work and have an exciting new game breaking bug that won't be hotfixed until tuesday. :v:

All bugs should be redefined as gameplay enhancements brought about by the Shroud. The CTD ones are just more meta than we're used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Such an awesome trailer, why is it still more than a month away :cry:

(The answer is: So I have time to play through the newest Mass Effect game before Utopia comes out)

• Locked thread