Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Sigma-X posted:

I do not understand anyone who wants to roleplay "sexytimes in infinite space" and for those that do, why they would want specifically codified rules for consent.

I said when there was all that waffle about that OSR space brothel product that 'sexy times in space' probably has at least one good game in it somewhere. But I seriously doubt Farflung is that game either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

potatocubed posted:

I said when there was all that waffle about that OSR space brothel product that 'sexy times in space' probably has at least one good game in it somewhere.
The problem with games that want to be about sexy times is that they don't approach it from a mature Apocalypse World/Monsterhearts angle, they always go for the "Heavy Metal x 100" angle.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aw, dang. The Terminator boardgame looks like its minis are going to be 32mm, so it's not going to be to scale with most regular miniatures (specifically the Terminator Genisys miniatures). I wonder if there was some kind of licencing issue.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Remember Ludicreations Steal This Game from last year? It was that postcard-sized game to help recoup their stolen costs at Essen. Well apparently they're having a lot of problems getting their game delivered outside of Europe. They're very confused as they thought a postcard would arrive quicker than their other board games.

Count me as one of those people who hasn't gotten their postcard yet. :smith:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Aw, dang. The Terminator boardgame looks like its minis are going to be 32mm, so it's not going to be to scale with most regular miniatures (specifically the Terminator Genisys miniatures). I wonder if there was some kind of licencing issue.

I've spoken to an IP lawyer on this very subject! In that case it was the way Spartan's Halo space game was deliberately not compatible with their existing space game. Apparently it's a common term in licensing contracts that the licenced game must be completely standalone and totally incompatible with any other product, to avoid trademark dilution or backformed links between the two games.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Loxbourne posted:

I've spoken to an IP lawyer on this very subject! In that case it was the way Spartan's Halo space game was deliberately not compatible with their existing space game. Apparently it's a common term in licensing contracts that the licenced game must be completely standalone and totally incompatible with any other product, to avoid trademark dilution or backformed links between the two games.

Oh, right. Presumably that's also why GW never tried to apply its LOTR ruleset to Warhammer.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's my understanding that one of Planescape's core concepts is that the D&D concept/definition of "alignment" is absolutely true and absolutely real, and the various factions and creatures are either absolute fanatics for their respective alignments or are platonic embodiments of it, and all that that implies.
There was way more nuance and abstraction than that. It was more "philosophies" are real and powerful enough to change reality. (Which was a great mechanism to explain a lot of embedded/presumed conflicts among the religions and pantheons.) Alignment was still what it was should be, which was a game-piece to make big buckets more manageable when theres spells/prayers that depend on them.

The LG god of clocks and time passing could easily be at war with the LG god of preservation, their Proxies might form factions, and in some version of Sigil they might each control a part of a Gate Town and be trying to pull the entire thing into the Realm of their Power.

The listed major Factions were not really alignment driven. The Sensates were on absolute quests for "more experiences,. the Believers of The Source each move to become the best "them" they can, with the belief that individuals can attain godhood if they achieve enough. The Sign of One is a bunch of people that (basically) each think that they are the center of reality, training their mind is crucial to being aware of that (and eventually being able to purposefully change things). The Transcendent Order thinks that unifying the body and mind lets one become aware of their, and the multiverses, "true purpose" and strive towards understanding that.

There were the comically single minded factions as well, but they were also philosophically driven.

The Harmonium wanted "safety and order" and would conquer and subjugate whatever they could to make sure things matched their vision. The Dustmen assume everything is dying (or dead) so just drearily goth-out while they wait. The Fraternity of Law think that everything is composed of laws and rules, and that by embracing and understanding them you can control things. The Xaoticists believe that there is chaos in everything, and that by understanding and living in tune with it you learn from it.

The Great Ring was still "condensed alignment", but even there the Realm of one Power did not necessarily reflect the truths (or reality, or physics) of the Realm "next door" on the same plane.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, they're all no doubt waiting for John Wick's indefinitely delayed kickstarter for Galaxy XXX anyway, right...? :rolleyes:

potatocubed posted:

I said when there was all that waffle about that OSR space brothel product that 'sexy times in space' probably has at least one good game in it somewhere. But I seriously doubt Farflung is that game either.

Seriously who wants to do this thing?

Who out there is rolling dice to pretend to have alien / magical sex with someone?

Like, if you have a partner, do you need a loving game to tell you what to do?

And if you don't have a partner, does your buddy Steve want to GM your fantasy fornication?

And are you so fuckin' weird that you need specific rules about consent built into the game because otherwise you're going to take it to even weirder places that makes Steve uncomfortable to the point where he needs to use the rulebook to make you knock it the gently caress off?

e: this is the general "you" not you guys specifically

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The only time sex comes up in our roleplaying games is when the official modules we run bring it up (thanks Paizo!), and the one time we rolled it was a joke and the player ended up rolling a 20, making us all laugh. Nothing else came of it.

Honestly I tend to avoid groups that put sex actively in their games, as they're usually people who don't have sex much (or at all).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Sex occasionally comes up in my tabletop games...but always in the abstract. Like "I want to try to seduce this NPC" or "our characters are a married couple that's gonna try to start a family" or whatever.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
In 20+ years of gaming as a postadolescent, I've had the actual act of sex come up exactly once, in the Way of the Wicked evil adventure path for Pathfinder. And it was rapey and gross and we all agreed it was a huge mistake.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They should all just cut away to flute music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODgu_-rR1X8

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

They should all just cut away to flute music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODgu_-rR1X8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCnBIHM3f9k

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The only time sex has really come up was in playing the Pendragon grand campaign where the entire game covers the rise and fall of Arthur Pendragon from the death of his father to Camlann which covers a pretty long period of time and having kids is heavily advantageous to having your Game of Thrones esque plots see completion. When I ran that game we managed to have one player have like four sons who all died in battle fighting with Arthur in various campaigns so he was considered weak, but he had actually sent his secret fifth son to marry a African princess and he returned at Camlann right after Arthur and Mordreds deaths, routed both the remaining armies and seized the throne of Britain. We then ran a ~6 month follow up game where the grand children of the now dead PCs traveled to Normandy and Scandinavia in order to raise troops to depose the 12 year old king of England and Aksum.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

In my experience, the only good uses of sex in roleplaying games have involved recognizing the importance that sex has as a human behavior, both emotionally and socially (in the context of bonding and family forming), but realizing that this can be covered without actually simulating sexual activity. Sex Moves in Apocalypse World and Monsterhearts are about "okay, so these characters had sex; how does that change them/their relationship?", without it mattering at all what actually happened in the fade-to-black. (Some third-party MH skins get a little grittier about this, and it almost never works.) I've never seen a good game about mechanically simulating sex, and it really seems kind of point-missing unless you want to grind one out and/or discomfort people.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Sex in itself, even if not set as a theme of taboo, is in effect a plot vehicle. Its the MacGuffin used to create Drama, but its unable to carry itself as part of mechanics if played out because by its very nature, it is the degeneracy of all human rationality and thought. It is the most beast-like act, that sheds the thin veneer of civilization we have built and that veneer is what fails any attempts at simulating it mechanically in a roleplaying game. Its the reason why sexual tension works, but not the resolution of that tension.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The only time sex has really come up was in playing the Pendragon grand campaign where the entire game covers the rise and fall of Arthur Pendragon from the death of his father to Camlann which covers a pretty long period of time and having kids is heavily advantageous to having your Game of Thrones esque plots see completion. When I ran that game we managed to have one player have like four sons who all died in battle fighting with Arthur in various campaigns so he was considered weak, but he had actually sent his secret fifth son to marry a African princess and he returned at Camlann right after Arthur and Mordreds deaths, routed both the remaining armies and seized the throne of Britain. We then ran a ~6 month follow up game where the grand children of the now dead PCs traveled to Normandy and Scandinavia in order to raise troops to depose the 12 year old king of England and Aksum.

:neckbeard: so Crusader Kings, the rpg.

Serf
May 5, 2011

In my experience sex in games doesn't go beyond the occasional dick joke. Anything else is verboten.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh, right. Presumably that's also why GW never tried to apply its LOTR ruleset to Warhammer.

The one thing GW did right? No loving half-elves.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I used to know two guys who did a lot of sex RP, but they'd at least do it away from the table in a chat client? I was never in the game they did that in, though.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I don't have a problem with sex in games in the abstract. Like, if everyone in the group is comfortable with it, and they know each other's boundaries well enough to not go creeptastic about it? Cool beans. But I don't see it as being something that's so common that you need an actual product. For that matter, I don't see why you'd need rules for it, except in the sense of "respect other people's boundaries, and knock it off as soon as someone's uncomfortable."

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

I was browsing through recently funded games and found what I'm pretty sure is a case of game "plagiarism" (is that thing?). Dwarves of Iron Peak, a game where a troll represented by two feet and a club tries to squish dwarves, is just an unauthorized update of STOMP!, a game where a giant represented by two feet and a club tries to squish fairies, right?

For comparison, STOMP: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2151/stomp/credits

Dwarves of Iron of Peak: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rocketsluggames/dwarves-of-iron-peak/posts/1807674

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The Malthusian posted:

I was browsing through recently funded games and found what I'm pretty sure is a case of game "plagiarism" (is that thing?). Dwarves of Iron Peak, a game where a troll represented by two feet and a club tries to squish dwarves, is just an unauthorized update of STOMP!, a game where a giant represented by two feet and a club tries to squish fairies, right?

Dwarves of Iron of Peak: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rocketsluggames/dwarves-of-iron-peak/posts/1807674

As far as I know, you can't copyright mechanics. You can patent them - although hardly anyone ever does - but not copyright. So there's no legal barrier.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Helical Nightmares posted:

:neckbeard: so Crusader Kings, the rpg.

Pfff does Crusader Kings have "hate Saxons" as a stat? If not, it's an inferior knockoff

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Does Pendragon let you eat the Pope? :colbert:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
well I suppose nothing is stopping you from sailing to Rome and carving the pope up like a turkey, except that a few of knight PCs might be fairly religious.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

The Malthusian posted:

I mean just a few posts back there was "Sig: Manual of the Primes" which is on a conceptually level nearly identical to D&D's Sigil, introduced in the book Manual of the Planes where Primes explore a multi-versal city.

In most cases these games aren't trying to be sneaky, they're intentionally evoking older games that are either not in print or have changed in some way so they're trying to bring back the "classic" form. Not just tabletop games too, it's especially rampant in video games trying to bring back old-school style video game classics (Mighty No #9 is a good example that went very badly).

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

Yeah, I get that. I am just used to seeing some kind of acknowledgement, I guess.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, I know AEG looked into licensing Planescape and apparently it was too rich for their blood, and inXile was famously given a flat "no" on licensing it. People have tried to find ways to pick it back up. But whoever handles Wizards of the Coast licenses seems to be more content dreaming of some imagined sum it will never make than actually profiting off of their brands.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Does Pendragon let you eat the Pope? :colbert:

There is support for sailing to ancient Rome and conquering it. Because Arthurian myth is just kind of one of those things.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

The Malthusian posted:

Yeah, I get that. I am just used to seeing some kind of acknowledgement, I guess.

Some kinds of acknowledgement can actually be legally risky. Though yeah, I'm always on the side of "you should list all your sources of inspiration at the end of your work."

In the spirit of attributing our inspirations, the first game I saw do that was The Mountain Witch RPG.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's much easier to do that in tabletop RPGs due to their relative obscurity. Plus you can always just make a "recommended media" list of all the things you're ripping off.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Johnny Lauck has another minis KS and this time it's robots. Turnaround on his Salvage Crew was less than a month until I had my figs in hand.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/967512676/robots-drones-cybers-28mm-miniatures-sci-fi-alien

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Empires of the Void II, from Red Raven Games/Ryan Laukat (Above and Below, Islebound, Eight-Minute Empires, City of Iron, etc.) just hit KS.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/empires-of-the-void-ii?ref=category_newest

There is one pledge - $60 for 1 copy of Empires of the Void II, Deluxe Edition. No other tiers, which is kinda refreshing. The Deluxe Version (which will be $80 at conventions only outside of KS) just has metal coins, a Making Of book, and some 30mm miniature (I don't know what it does). Retail price for the standard version (sans metal coins, book, miniature) will be $60.

I know nothing about this one. I'm definitely backing Near and Far when it comes up but I'll have to take a look at this. I like Laukat's stuff typically.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm definitely backing Near and Far when it comes up

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/near-and-far-storytelling-board-game

Near and Far ran last year, Sept/Aug.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Nuns with Guns posted:

Pfff does Crusader Kings have "hate Saxons" as a stat? If not, it's an inferior knockoff

It actually does! Cultural aversion is a thing, Saxons are a valid culture, and a lot of people will hate Saxons in a numerically measurable way.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Er, buying it when it hits retail, I mean. Too early, Monday, etc. But yeah, wasn't into games when that was going.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Empires of the Void II, from Red Raven Games/Ryan Laukat (Above and Below, Islebound, Eight-Minute Empires, City of Iron, etc.) just hit KS.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/empires-of-the-void-ii?ref=category_newest

There is one pledge - $60 for 1 copy of Empires of the Void II, Deluxe Edition. No other tiers, which is kinda refreshing. The Deluxe Version (which will be $80 at conventions only outside of KS) just has metal coins, a Making Of book, and some 30mm miniature (I don't know what it does). Retail price for the standard version (sans metal coins, book, miniature) will be $60.

I know nothing about this one. I'm definitely backing Near and Far when it comes up but I'll have to take a look at this. I like Laukat's stuff typically.

Seems interesting, but I'm pretty sure I know someone who'll back it, and I'm backing Food Truck Champion and Long Live The Queen (nothing to do with the videogame of the same name as far as I know) at the moment.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I just backed this -- I've gotten all of Red Raven's other Kickstarter games, and enjoyed them all. (Well, I still haven't played Above and Below.) I was thinking about picking up Empires, but since there's this sequel/refinement, I'll just go with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kaza42 posted:

It actually does! Cultural aversion is a thing, Saxons are a valid culture, and a lot of people will hate Saxons in a numerically measurable way.

This is a good knockoff then!