Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

Strictly regimented gaming aka the 9th circle of hell

If this is Hell then I won't be able to cope with Heaven!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Fire Emblem Birthright is really good so far, and I think I have a grasp on the combat systems now. I'm trying to get the support rank up on people now, mostly sticking to the same people paired up so they can get to S rank and such. I'm used to X-COM or FF Tactics so Fire Emblem is definitely different. I'm trying not to grind a ton since I know Conquest doesn't have any grinding.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr E posted:

Fire Emblem Birthright is really good so far, and I think I have a grasp on the combat systems now. I'm trying to get the support rank up on people now, mostly sticking to the same people paired up so they can get to S rank and such. I'm used to X-COM or FF Tactics so Fire Emblem is definitely different. I'm trying not to grind a ton since I know Conquest doesn't have any grinding.

What I like about Conquest is that, yes, it's a lot harder than Birthright, but it achieves that by being smarter, rather than just giving enemies really big numbers. Enemies get skills like your units do and often have those skills in clever/evil combinations. I remember one map that had ninjas with 3-range weapons who had the Lunge skill, so they would swap places with whoever they hit. That could lead to one of your units getting dragged really far behind enemy lines, so any approach had to be juuuuust right or things would get ugly fast.

Are you playing on Classic or Casual? When you get to Conquest, playing on Classic will really test your patience for restarting maps, but I will say that finishing Conquest on Hard/Classic with zero deaths was maybe the most satisfying gaming experience I've had in years.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

exquisite tea posted:

The insane power curve that exists in every open-world game is why I'm just gonna start Horizon on the hardest difficulty, even if it does feel like Robot Souls early on.

When I first played through a DLC-loaded New Vegas I started with Lonesome Road (the intended "last one") pretty early on. I think my reasoning was that it's the closest one to Goodsprings or first on the quest list or something, so I just assumed it was meant to be played first.

It was a horrible nightmare but the rest of the game was pretty easy after that!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

What I like about Conquest is that, yes, it's a lot harder than Birthright, but it achieves that by being smarter, rather than just giving enemies really big numbers. Enemies get skills like your units do and often have those skills in clever/evil combinations. I remember one map that had ninjas with 3-range weapons who had the Lunge skill, so they would swap places with whoever they hit. That could lead to one of your units getting dragged really far behind enemy lines, so any approach had to be juuuuust right or things would get ugly fast.

Are you playing on Classic or Casual? When you get to Conquest, playing on Classic will really test your patience for restarting maps, but I will say that finishing Conquest on Hard/Classic with zero deaths was maybe the most satisfying gaming experience I've had in years.

That lunge death chamber level is so hosed up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

That lunge death chamber level is so hosed up

Yeah, that poo poo was evil. I remember at least one other level where I just looked at enemy skill combinations and went :psyduck: but I can't remember the exact ones right now. Maybe that one where there are two routes to the top through multiple chambers, each with its own horrific gimmick?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't find an unedited clip of the "hey it's that dog" scene from RE4 on youtube and that makes me sad.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lurdiak posted:

I can't find an unedited clip of the "hey it's that dog" scene from RE4 on youtube and that makes me sad.

I just tried and you're right!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cn7fTb6GSE

Is this it?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
After another watch I'm not sure the music is supposed to be there. I can't remember.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think the music is in the original but it doesn't have overlayed memes or streamer squawking so it's still in the top ranks of youtube gaming videos.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They added Bladewolf's theme from MGR.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

After another watch I'm not sure the music is supposed to be there. I can't remember.

Nope, that's Blade Wolf's music from a similar moment in Metal Gear Rising (which owns)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgdCxMh3G4Q&t=52s

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

36.6 hours until this thread is a filthy liar

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

River City Ransom Underground is going to drop Early Evening EST!!!!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

The Witcher 3's combat really became a bummer once I realized that the only thing that could kill me was my own boredom if I just pumped up Quen, and the enemy AI was mostly too dumb to do anything about it.

I was wondering if anyone had done a combat rebalance mod for the game at some point, I have no idea how powerful the game's modding support is though. I remember Witcher 1 & 2 both got one, so something to tweak how overpowered basically everything is would be nice.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Not a Children posted:

36.6 hours until this thread is a filthy liar

In 36 hours I hope to be 6 hours into Horizon: Zero Dawn

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Harrow posted:

I'm playing on classic - don't see any reason to not play with perma-death.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr E posted:

I'm playing on classic - don't see any reason to not play with perma-death.

Yeah, I definitely think Fire Emblem loses a lot of what makes it unique if you're not playing with permadeath. To be fair, I clearly never let deaths actually be permanent--I reset at the drop of a hat--but I dunno, the extra tension adds a lot, I think.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I definitely think Fire Emblem loses a lot of what makes it unique if you're not playing with permadeath. To be fair, I clearly never let deaths actually be permanent--I reset at the drop of a hat--but I dunno, the extra tension adds a lot, I think.

It also forces you to think about your moves more and makes it so you can't sacrifice units to gain advantage. It's pretty important to the overall balance of the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

It also forces you to think about your moves more and makes it so you can't sacrifice units to gain advantage. It's pretty important to the overall balance of the game.

That's true. Not really being able to make sacrifice plays does change a lot.

I wouldn't mind an "Ironman" mode in a future Fire Emblem game--Classic, plus it autosaves after every move. I probably wouldn't choose that as the way I play the first time through, but as a challenge run, permadeath with no take-backs and no reloading sounds pretty rad. (I know I can do that myself if I had the discipline, but hey.)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm glad for GTA4 if only because of all of the great racistman3D videos.

A little late but this made me laugh my butt off, still does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPVAdM43kQs

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

was wondering when it was dropping, I waited to 12am like an idiot last night and hasn't appeared yet.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lurdiak posted:

In your opinion would you say that it's much better now than when you played the earlier versions? You have a very critical eye (maybe too critical :v:) but I want to know what you think since you were looking forward to it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I've been playing BERSERK and The Band of The Hawk and the musou brand boss battles feel even shittier after playing Nioh. Why even give you a dodge if it doesn't seem to have any iframes or move you very far? It's basically the cancel button more than a dodge.

Even dumber is the gore option when you first start it up. I know why it's there but what's the point if the cutscenes are more violent than any of the gameplay.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
A completely dead serious Bulletstorm trailer is a weird thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_rQC17n07Q

Also Duke Nukem is pretty ehhhhh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1t5hDxDbWU

Wamdoodle posted:

A little late but this made me laugh my butt off, still does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPVAdM43kQs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RY7zrN90JM

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Sometimes Atelier Ayesha gets into cute scenes about friendships among women, but then it immediately turns into groping and poorly executed innuendo and ruins what could've been really nice writing. :sigh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Sometimes Atelier Ayesha gets into cute scenes about friendships among women, but then it immediately turns into groping and poorly executed innuendo and ruins what could've been really nice writing. :sigh:

Yeah, the following two games are better about that. Ayesha trails off a bit after the early game but it still can't resist boob jokes when it probably shouldn't.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cardboard Box A posted:

A completely dead serious Bulletstorm trailer is a weird thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_rQC17n07Q

So weird it's practically false advertising. The game isn't about tragic histories and sci-fi melodrama, it's about cursing a blue streak while earning 1000 points for kicking a guy in the rear end so hard he flies into a barrel and explodes. Maybe they think they can get the COD crowd's attention by editing it like this?

And Duke Nukem just doesn't sound right without that classic 8-bit/11khz fidelity.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

haveblue posted:

So weird it's practically false advertising. The game isn't about tragic histories and sci-fi melodrama, it's about cursing a blue streak while earning 1000 points for kicking a guy in the rear end so hard he flies into a barrel and explodes. Maybe they think they can get the COD crowd's attention by editing it like this?

And Duke Nukem just doesn't sound right without that classic 8-bit/11khz fidelity.

Gearbox doesn't know what it's doing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the following two games are better about that. Ayesha trails off a bit after the early game but it still can't resist boob jokes when it probably shouldn't.

Honestly I can't remember that at all. Maybe there's some dialogue I'm forgetting but nothing at the level of the Arland CGs I've seen.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
For those of you that care, Jim Sterling was finally able to make a video about his lawsuit with Digital Homicide. And uh the whole thing is pretty :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS-LXvhy1Do

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

VideoGames posted:

I'm going to go through my uncompleted games in alphabetical order. Each one gets at least 6 hours of play. If after six hours I am not having fun, then it goes in the bin. If I do enjoy it, then I don't stop playing it till I complete it.

I really don't think it should take 6 hours to decide whether or not you're enjoying a game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Honestly I can't remember that at all. Maybe there's some dialogue I'm forgetting but nothing at the level of the Arland CGs I've seen.

There aren't any Arland cg style things but there's like "We're trapped in a cave together and its dark and oh whoop I grabbed your boobs" and Nio talking about Ayesha's breasts after you rescue her which felt helluva out of place for that scene

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

I really don't think it should take 6 hours to decide whether or not you're enjoying a game.

I want to give them a fair shake. Also I am terribly slow at video games.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I still enjoyed the game, since that's not constant and the character designs aren't 365 24/7 titty terror. Still, that poo poo gets old like, immediately, and I'm never going to stop being sensitive to it.

Motto posted:

It's been a long time since I played Rorona +, so I don't recall how much of this dumb poo poo was present there. I've been considering replaying it since it's up on PS Now, but man, now I'm kinda dreading it!

Also is it just me or are Ayesha and Sophie significantly easier than Rorona +?

ImpAtom posted:

There aren't any Arland cg style things but there's like "We're trapped in a cave together and its dark and oh whoop I grabbed your boobs" and Nio talking about Ayesha's breasts after you rescue her which felt helluva out of place for that scene

There is so much boob talk and uninvited groping and tiresome repetitions about I'M A GIRL AFTER ALL :byodame: as though that even matters after murdering the heck out of Yggdrasil, making and detonating all the bombs, and slaying natural and alchemical dragons?!

I did enjoy Regina for the most part, though.

I'm currently in the postgame, just counting down days til I can complete the last character arcs and see the endings. I'm sad that you're also required to win 6 of 6 contests to get one ending, though. I got second place in the 3rd contest and didn't reset because I didn't realize that actually influenced an ending.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apCZ4kzOJyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTnPKMLHYAQ

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 27, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are a lot of games that I didn't like until 6-7 hours in.

Persona 3
Persona 4
you know what, just imagine "every JRPG ever except for like 10 of them" is written here

But also stuff like Batman, Arkham City had kind of a slow start where I was like "This is pretty cool, I guess?" until the deeper systems opened up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I still enjoyed the game, since that's not constant and the character designs aren't 365 24/7 titty terror. Still, that poo poo gets old like, immediately, and I'm never going to stop being sensitive to it.

Yeah, I completely get what you mean. I think it's a valid criticism even if I really enjoy the games. It's just a bit "... was that really necessary?"

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Also is it just me or are Ayesha and Sophie significantly easier than Rorona +?

Yes and no. You have more alchemy options instead of needing to spreadsheet them and so creating powerful equipment is easier. Ayesha classic also doesn't have as many insane superbosses to contend with. Ayesha + and the sequels are easier to finish but have significantly harder optional challenges instead. Sophie is kinda lacking in the latter which is a problem for it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Remember when Bulletstorm was first released and they made fun of the self-serious COD story? Didn't they even make a parody game about it

• Locked thread