Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Who did you think was coming back besides Alex Smith?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

The best thing that could happen would be the Berry situation taking too long so Dontari Poe walks. I think he was part of the problem of the leaky Run Defense.

Fat man touchdowns are cool and good, bit his production on Defense wasn't as good.

Houston will be fine this year, they got a lot of picks to address the front 7 and I think you're wrong about the CB part. Mitchell did well when he got the starting role and Nelson is good if they keep him in the slot. I really don't think secondary is the issue.

Alex sure sucks yeah, but that's why you improve the running game. I have a good feeling his replacement is going to be drafted this year.

Sure they probably won't have a rabbits foot stuck in their rear end while they cruise to 12-4 again, but I don't see them being any worse than .500.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think they'll franchise Berry and end up getting a deal done before the July deadline. Poe is probably gone either way though, unless they're absolutely sure they'll never get a deal done with Berry.

I don't think the DL is all that terrible with Howard and Bailey coming back. It's not ideal but those are a couple of good pieces that were missing most of the season. ILB is awful but theoretically addressable through the draft and cheap FA pickups. Houston will probably be fine, Tamba's old as poo poo and you can't trust him anymore and Dee Ford is....well a half bust until proven differently. I agree about being worried about the corners past Peters, even though Mitchell randomly looked pretty ok. It's a good deep corner draft and I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere between rounds 1-3 they take someone.

I guess in the end the defense was half smoke and mirrors anyway last year, so yeah by all rights they should regress. You can't like, depend on poo poo like Peters just stealing the ball from Kelvin Benjamin or Berry coming up with a Pick 6 and Pick 2 to seal a game. It'd be nice if they figured out a way to stop anyone in between the 20's next year.

As to Alex Smith....welp. Yeah.

I'm surprised you didn't include running back in your list of woes, because Charles is cut unless he goes against his own interests and takes nothing to play. And Spencer Ware doesn't look like who we thought he was early last year.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Spencer Ware showed that he can't handle the load as the lead back, so they will need to find one. He still makes a good complimentary back.

The Chiefs invested a lot into the secondary a year ago and Mitchell did well enough to have a chance at the starting role this season. Who knows, maybe Gaines will finally be recovered from his ACL and rebound? I wouldn't blame them if they took a corner, but I'd like to see how all the pieces they've already got will pan out.

Dorsey has been a wizard at finding defensive backs.

The bigger issue is the pass-rush. They absolutely have to find someone not slow to play Tamba's Elephant position, which Dee Ford can't handle. Dadi Nicholas looked promising, but I'd like to see more better quality depth overall. Think they need to find 2 OLB's.

Really think this is the time to address QB. No loving way Alex Smith is a 20 million dollar QB, or deserves an extension. Andy won't start a rookie QB if he can avoid it, so they need to make it happen this year. They could also stand to do better than Bray on the depth chart and don't have a #3 at all because Joel Stave is just a camp arm.

Start Offensive Lineup probably isn't going to change. They seem to really like Ehringer and Ldt and while Fisher is mediocre, they're stuck with him for awhile. I could see them upgrading from Jah Reid though.

They could use better TE depth and more good Special Teamers.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
I think Spencer Ware got a little gun shy when he got his concussion back in Indy. He was a wrecking ball before that but after he hit the hole with a lot less tenacity. That and everyone seems to think Parker Ehringer going down was the moment the run game collapsed. I have no idea.

As it stands now, I still think the team is in for a drop off unless Dorsey works more magic.

I really wouldn't mind taking a shot for Romo. If it backfires and they have a lovely season, it at least puts them in a prime position to draft a franchise QB in next years draft.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

They aren't going to eat nearly 10 million in dead cap for Alex and Romo doesn't change the fact that they have to draft a QB. They just need to draft a loving QB finally.

Think Andy and John are genuine when they talk about Alex, but I'm sure they know they've hit the ceiling with him and his physical ability is already eroding. Once his arm starts to go, it'll be a quick and horrific downturn that can happen any day now.

Ware looked a lot slower down the stretch and than he hurt his ribs. West is a terrible version of Jamaal so it wouldn't hurt to have him on the bench more.

This team isn't going to repeat what they did in 2016 unless Dorsey nails FA and the draft.

LiquidFriend fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 27, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Man, I'd love to draft Alex's replacement in the first round and just let him learn this year. And hell, if one of those top 5 guys falls to the late second, maybe they actually will. The downside is, I think unless FA gets absolutely slaughtered by Dorsey, we may not be in a position to draft BPA, which sucks, because that's when it seems he really succeeds.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I hope they realize that they aren't going to fill every hole and just get some good rear end players. It's not like they're going to ride the arm of Alex to the Super Bowl.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/rotoworld/status/836257829350752256

Nov 6, 2002

Man, that guy is the biggest NFL coaching failure since Petrino.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
He should have his US citizenship revoked.

Nov 6, 2002

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Thanks GC

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Chromatic posted:

- Berry might not play this year
- Poe is gone
- D-line is bad outside of Chris Jones
- ILB is trash. DJ is old and won't be back to form. The others couldn't stop the run to save their lives
- OLB was supposed to be the strength of the team but Houston is always injured, Hali gets 6 snaps a game anymore and is old, and Dee Ford completely dissapeared in the 2nd half of the year.
- Peters is the only good CB.

That defense is going to crash very loving hard.

It's the Raiders division now.

Oh, and Alex Smith is coming back which is just loving peachy.

Chargers won't be as injured and will be good and the Broncos will be still good.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Broncos still won't have a quarterback.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/status/836262321995440128

:hellyeah:

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Pops Mgee posted:

If you're just a regular black guy in Green Bay, you can probably convince someone at a bar you're on the team and get free drinks.

We lived in Green Bay for a while in the 80s and my dad worked at one of the paper mills. Almost the only black people in town at that time were Packers. One of my dad's co-workers was a black engineer and he said it got pretty old that whenever he went to the grocery store or wherever people would come up to him and ask which of the Packers he was.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

FizFashizzle posted:

Mario Addison just got a three year contract from Carolina.

If you have no idea who he is, he was one of the most "efficient" pass rushers last year, meaning he was a rotational speed rusher who can't play all three downs.

Whatever.

The real positive here is that Hurney woulda given him a guy like this $65 mil right after he gave Tolbert a $30mil extension. Things are much better ITYOOL 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Man, that guy is the biggest NFL coaching failure since Petrino.

So we're just going to ignore that Chip Kelly happened, huh

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Bacon Taco posted:

We lived in Green Bay for a while in the 80s and my dad worked at one of the paper mills. Almost the only black people in town at that time were Packers. One of my dad's co-workers was a black engineer and he said it got pretty old that whenever he went to the grocery store or wherever people would come up to him and ask which of the Packers he was.

to be fair, this is most of wisconsin.

Nov 6, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

So we're just going to ignore that Chip Kelly happened, huh

Chip Kelly won the division title his first year in the league, and had a winning record his first two years.

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Chip Kelly will be a hot name on the coaching market after sitting out this year, for some loving reason. He'll be back.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chip Kelly won the division title his first year in the league, and had a winning record his first two years.

He also took over a team stacked with talent (seriously look at how Eagles fans are still excited about the prospect of guys jettisoned 3 years ago coming back to play for the team now) from the prior admin, drove it into the ground as he got more power, was fired, and then went 2-14 in his only season as head coach of the 49ers. And expectations were higher for him than they were for Trestman. I'd say it's about even, given the expectations for Chip and what he inherited versus the mess Phil Emery built for Trestman to work with and the injuries that sprung up during his tenure.

Nov 6, 2002

A "stacked team" that went 8-8 and 4-12 the previous years?

I don't think you can throw any bones at Chip Kelly for what happened in San Francisco. That situation was hopeless.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Seriously, it's not even close.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

TheChirurgeon posted:

He also took over a team stacked with talent (seriously look at how Eagles fans are still excited about the prospect of guys jettisoned 3 years ago coming back to play for the team now) from the prior admin, drove it into the ground as he got more power, was fired, and then went 2-14 in his only season as head coach of the 49ers. And expectations were higher for him than they were for Trestman. I'd say it's about even, given the expectations for Chip and what he inherited versus the mess Phil Emery built for Trestman to work with.

That's an indictment of Kelly as a GM, not a coach. That stacked team went 4-12 the previous year. McDaniels did a similar thing with even worse results in Denver and he's working his way back up to a head coach position.

And the 49ers weren't winning more than a couple of games this year if a three headed Lombardi/Noll/Belichick Cerberus coached them. That roster is absolutely barren.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--damnit

I don't think you can throw any bones at Chip Kelly for what happened in San Francisco. That situation was hopeless.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of Chip but Christ, Bill Walsh and Vince Lombardi couldn't have coached that 49ers team to more than 4 wins.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'll be damned if I want to dig through the list to find it, so just pretend I posted the smilie that's like praying or whatever.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

fsif posted:

I'll be damned if I want to dig through the list to find it, so just pretend I posted the smilie that's like praying or whatever.

I hope the next tweet is "CARDALE JONES :haw:"

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

swickles posted:

In like 7 years some team will hire Chip and end up in a Carroll/Seahawks situation with flat earth instead of 9/11 truthism.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
fair enough; I can agree that Chip the GM was much, much worse than Chip the coach, though you're also overestimating Chip the coach by a substantial amount. It's not a secret that his offenses had become predictable by defenses and his strategy did little to help his teams' defenses succeed when his teams would go 3-and-out on offense in 30 seconds.

The Eagles might have had bad seasons the year prior to Chip (otherwise he'd have never been hired), but I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that the Eagles were in a worse shape talent-wise than the Bears, and over the last 17 years the Eagles have done a solid job at talent evaluation.

But yeah, I admit, Chip is better than Trestman.

Grittybeard posted:

^^--damnit

Yeah I'm not a big fan of Chip but Christ, Bill Walsh and Vince Lombardi couldn't have coached that 49ers team to more than 4 wins.

Also probably, but then again, Chip also chose to start Blaine Gabbert for five games, to the tune of a 68.4 passer rating

swickles posted:

In like 7 years some team will hire Chip and end up in a Carroll/Seahawks situation with flat earth instead of 9/11 truthism.

I'd bet that Chip's career arc falls closer to Spurrier's, given the nature of their problems.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 27, 2017

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

fsif posted:

Is it LeSean McCoy?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Kyle Orton came back for his keys

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

fsif posted:

Is it Jim Kelly's cancer?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

whypick1 posted:

Is it Jim Kelly's cancer?
:wow:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
i dont know chiefs things but why may not eric berry play this year?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Dubious posted:

i dont know chiefs things but why may not eric berry play this year?

Doesn't want to play a second year under the tag. Doesn't want to sign a deal that doesn't make him the highest paid safety in the NFL.

Nov 6, 2002

Yeah but hold-outs never really happen anymore. There are just too many things stacked against a player to make them a viable option. Even Joey Bosa gave in last year.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

At some point apparently, Bill Barnwell blocked me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=from%3Anobuttstuff%20to%3Abillbarnwell&src=typd

I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

At some point apparently, Bill Barnwell blocked me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=from%3Anobuttstuff%20to%3Abillbarnwell&src=typd

I have no idea why.

"You're killing me Barnwell" probably pissed him right off lol

• Locked thread