Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I still miss Time Splitters :(

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YKPZM0iYOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddOBGdFXEnU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember when Bulletstorm was first released and they made fun of the self-serious COD story? Didn't they even make a parody game about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFiSdsW9lfA

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember when Bulletstorm was first released and they made fun of the self-serious COD story? Didn't they even make a parody game about it

They did! You could download and play it but here's a video of the full game. It wasn't long at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4plmomISK8

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

That is one of the most generic FPS games i have ever seen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I dunno about that place but in America if someone breaks into your house you can shoot them to death as long as you claim you told them to leave and they refused so I think that guy is probably ok.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If the guy was willing to break into your house why wouldn't he just break back out of your house

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm fairly sure it's legal as long as none of the puzzles are unsolvable if you're tone-deaf or colorblind

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Bulletstorm was an excellent game (can't believe it's been 7 years already) and it deserves better than an overpriced remaster with a laughable Duke Nukem DLC. That thing is going to bomb and it'll probably kill off what little chances there were for a sequel.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If the puzzles require outside knowledge then you're definitely in hot water, UNLESS you allow the use of smartphones

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

If the puzzles require outside knowledge then you're definitely in hot water, UNLESS you allow the use of smartphones

Psh, if you're gonna build a puzzle house and not throw a Faraday cage around the whole business then what's da bloody point?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

precision posted:

I dunno about that place but in America if someone breaks into your house you can shoot them to death as long as you claim you told them to leave and they refused so I think that guy is probably ok.

While America does love it's castle doctrine, setting traps is a big no-no. A puzzle house which traps someone who doesn't know how to leave would probably be considered a trap by the court.

precision posted:

Psh, if you're gonna build a puzzle house and not throw a Faraday cage around the whole business then what's da bloody point?

What kind of monster would live in a house without a mobile signal

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

isn't that 100% lord british's house

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

spudsbuckley posted:

That is one of the most generic FPS games i have ever seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfPwuRwLK08&t=63s

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is Lord British still rich? I guess making one good game 30 years ago goes a long way.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Make all the puzzles sex and atheism flavored and it's Penn Gillette's house

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wamdoodle posted:

In your opinion would you say that it's much better now than when you played the earlier versions? You have a very critical eye (maybe too critical :v:) but I want to know what you think since you were looking forward to it.

It's really, really good as of this last build. There are a few minor balance issues wrt to boss AI and some of the unlockable characters but I know for a fact they are trying to fix those ASAP, and the only remaining bugs (that I know of) are extremely minor and tough to find. It's entirely possible that waiting a few days or a week before playing it seriously would be a better experience due to them wanting to hotfix remaining after launch, but it's like 96% perfect right now. And even if they launch the game without fixing some of the 'worse' stuff, if you haven't played 65 goddamn hours like I have while trying to break the game, you almost certainly won't notice it when you're having a great time with your friends punching and comboing everything. The difficulty curve is super cool right now, challenging without being unfair, very on par with the original game. And you can crank that difficulty up if you find yourself having too easy a time, although I would not recommend 'Fungondo' mode to anyone for their first playthrough.

The beta I've been testing only has about 1/3rd of the game's story in it, a limited number of gangs, shops, playable characters and locations, and no ability to purchase extra moves, so I can only imagine how much more open of an experience it will be after the full game launches. When I first tried out a beta build like last summer, it gave a very poor initial impression due to the first thing happening in the game being very meme-ish, the combo system being underbaked and the enemy AI being a loving relentless clusterfuck, and even a month ago the steam beta was hardly something you could call 'fun', but the amount of progress they've made since then is simply astounding. It's obvious they spent an enormous amount of the dev time making sure the underlying mechanics and building blocks of the game were solid before worrying about tuning the game to actually be fun, and it looks like that approach paid off.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 27, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's so bizarre to hear Duke having an actual dialog with another character. His voice works for cheesy action hero one-liners but not much else.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought the Duke thing was gonna be a standalone gag mission, but holy crap they recorded the entire campaign with him. What a bizarre thing to do.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

Is Lord British still rich? I guess making one good game 30 years ago goes a long way.

I thought it was less "he made one good game" and more that "he made several really good financial decisions involving selling off properties at high prices so that he can use that money to go into space twice"

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

precision posted:

Not only is he still rich but he owned all the ppl at Nexon or whoever tried to screw him with the best possible retort of all time: I couldnt have signed that document because I was in space at that time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

I thought the Duke thing was gonna be a standalone gag mission, but holy crap they recorded the entire campaign with him. What a bizarre thing to do.

It's a big reason they justify charging $50 for it, but no one asked them to do it.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I thought I was going to hate Bulletstorm but it was probably the best FPS of 2011. Im pretty sure thats damning with faint praise both Bulletstorm and every other piece of crap that came out alongside of it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was going to agree, but I looked it up and that was the same year as Deus Ex HR and Portal 2. And Duke Nukem Forever, lol.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

I was going to agree, but I looked it up and that was the same year as Deus Ex HR and Portal 2.

Man, that is stretching the definition of FPS.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Bulletstorm was okay but it suffered from being tied to GFWL. I can't imagine wanting to play a ps4 remaster of it though, that's weird.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bulletstorm kinda pwns and it deserves better than this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BTW making a half-life 2 mod that adds incessant Duke Nukem quips to the campaign was a joke idea I had years ago.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think a lot of the character designs and writing are ugly as hell and off putting but it had a color palette wider than 3 kinds of gray in the 360 Era and the skillshot system was a lot of drat fun, and it was a short game worth replaying for high scores. It should have a pared down sequel with no voice acting or story but more skillshots and weapons! But instead we got the same game again but with Duke Mothershitting Nukem in it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought it was less "he made one good game" and more that "he made several really good financial decisions involving selling off properties at high prices so that he can use that money to go into space twice"

He also made a movie about how cool it was that he went into space.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Meme Emulator posted:

Not only is he still rich but he owned all the ppl at Nexon or whoever tried to screw him with the best possible retort of all time: I couldnt have signed that document because I was in space at that time

That is truly awesome, I bet he's a fun guy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lurdiak posted:

BTW making a half-life 2 mod that adds incessant Duke Nukem quips to the campaign was a joke idea I had years ago.

Replacing all the sound effects with random dialog from your favorite movie was a major genre of doom wads in the 90s.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Training posted:

I think a lot of the character designs and writing are ugly as hell and off putting but it had a color palette wider than 3 kinds of gray in the 360 Era and the skillshot system was a lot of drat fun, and it was a short game worth replaying for high scores. It should have a pared down sequel with no voice acting or story but more skillshots and weapons! But instead we got the same game again but with Duke Mothershitting Nukem in it.

It's extremely cool that they made DukeVision real.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Can we all politely ask duke nukem to leave video games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

He also made a movie about how cool it was that he went into space.

What a cool guy.

I wish I had a puzzle house like him.

He has a secret spiral staircase that lets him access various different levels of his mansion, including a secret basement filled with random trinkets he has picked up from around the world.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

haveblue posted:

I was going to agree, but I looked it up and that was the same year as Deus Ex HR and Portal 2. And Duke Nukem Forever, lol.

The version of Halo that allowed you to switch between the old and remastered graphics on the fly was released in 2011

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lurdiak posted:

It's really, really good as of this last build. There are a few minor balance issues wrt to boss AI and some of the unlockable characters but I know for a fact they are trying to fix those ASAP, and the only remaining bugs (that I know of) are extremely minor and tough to find. It's entirely possible that waiting a few days or a week before playing it seriously would be a better experience due to them wanting to hotfix remaining after launch, but it's like 96% perfect right now. And even if they launch the game without fixing some of the 'worse' stuff, if you haven't played 65 goddamn hours like I have while trying to break the game, you almost certainly won't notice it when you're having a great time with your friends punching and comboing everything. The difficulty curve is super cool right now, challenging without being unfair, very on par with the original game. And you can crank that difficulty up if you find yourself having too easy a time, although I would not recommend 'Fungondo' mode to anyone for their first playthrough.

The beta I've been testing only has about 1/3rd of the game's story in it, a limited number of gangs, shops, playable characters and locations, and no ability to purchase extra moves, so I can only imagine how much more open of an experience it will be after the full game launches. When I first tried out a beta build like last summer, it gave a very poor initial impression due to the first thing happening in the game being very meme-ish, the combo system being underbaked and the enemy AI being a loving relentless clusterfuck, and even a month ago the steam beta was hardly something you could call 'fun', but the amount of progress they've made since then is simply astounding. It's obvious they spent an enormous amount of the dev time making sure the underlying mechanics and building blocks of the game were solid before worrying about tuning the game to actually be fun, and it looks like that approach paid off.

:cool: Thanks for the response. I'm looking forward to it more now :)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't get RCR underground's goshdarn main theme out of my head so I'm just going to post all these trailers so the chiptunes get stuck in yours too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWDEs434hA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PZzg2aihaM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVCHPJzUzuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khEzmN_Ok90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBG33gM7Kgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VphbX86KUYQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In Training posted:

Bulletstorm kinda pwns and it deserves better than this.
Bulletstorm is one of the best FPSes ever made imo. Maybe Painkiller HD sold like hotcakes (I have no idea) so they're trying to repeat that concept with another game from the same studio?

• Locked thread