Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Your Taint posted:

God drat. :smith:

I mean, congrats to his fiance and everything for the birth of a beautiful and healthy baby girl, but it's gotta be awful knowing she'll never meet her daddy.
That and the families of the other two crash victims are in the process of suing the Fernandez estate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sonny Gray was kicked off the WBC roster because their insurance carrier wouldn't cover him :lol:

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Rand alPaul posted:

Sonny Gray was kicked off the WBC roster because their insurance carrier wouldn't cover him :lol:

:911: God bless this joke country

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Probad posted:

:911: God bless this joke country

gently caress that. That's just good business.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rand alPaul posted:

God bless America

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I don't think this has anything to do with America's joke of a medical insurance system, which is the only reason I could guess for those comments. The insurance probably covers the players' contracts, any elective surgery that may come from injury, etc.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Russ Martin was kicked off team Canada for the same reason and he was gonna play SS.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm so desperate for baseball I'm watching a rerun of the Cubs spring training game that ended 1-1 from earlier today. It's something atleast.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Popete posted:

I'm so desperate for baseball I'm watching a rerun of the Cubs spring training game that ended 1-1 from earlier today. It's something atleast.

Rewatch G7. That Cubs/Cleveland game was allowed to go into extras.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mustached Demon posted:

Rewatch G7. That Cubs/Cleveland game was allowed to go into extras.

There's absolutely no shame in this. I still re-watch 2011 G6.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
If you're a Cubs fan who doesn't fall asleep nightly to a auto-repeating playlist of all 11 postseason wins of 2016 maybe you don't deserve to Fly The W™

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

Works for me!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pancakes posted:

There's absolutely no shame in this. I still re-watch 2011 G6.

I sometimes watch the last 15min with Pat Hughes calling it when I feel sad. It's on YouTube.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I listened to game 7 of '91 at work the other day because I didn't feel like listening to the radio/podcasts.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

IcePhoenix posted:

I listened to game 7 of '91 at work the other day because I didn't feel like listening to the radio/podcasts.

You tube has a bunch of old raido broadcasts. I listened to a 196? Cubs v Brooklyn game. A young Vin Scully calling a Sandy Colfax start. The Dodgers gave 1000 cigarettes to veterans hospitals for every HR.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I still think Sandy Carfax is the best pitcher of all time

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Popete posted:

I am desperate for baseball to the point that I WISH I understood the appeal of re-watching games, but I just can't.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
https://twitter.com/ToddZolecki/status/836214135905996800

Not exactly BSOHL, but similar enough.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

Of course it is! Best Swing Of His Life.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

In fairness players changing their swing DOES make a difference sometimes, whereas Best Shape of Their Life rarely seems to matter.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ScottyJSno posted:

You tube has a bunch of old raido broadcasts. I listened to a 196? Cubs v Brooklyn game. A young Vin Scully calling a Sandy Colfax start. The Dodgers gave 1000 cigarettes to veterans hospitals for every HR.
a lot going on in this post

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

Heyward's been hyping the Best Swing Of His Life for months and so far it's resulted in two lazy flyouts, a grounder to second, and two strikeouts.

I mean it's early spring training so it means less than nothing, but it is pretty funny. :v:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Heyward's been hyping the Best Swing Of His Life for months and so far it's resulted in two lazy flyouts, a grounder to second, and two strikeouts.

I mean it's early spring training so it means less than nothing, but it is pretty funny. :v:

He should have picked a swing and stuck with it a long time ago. This is like version 4.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Learn this one simple swing technique to improve your OPS 900 points! Pitchers hate him!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

Learn this one simple swing technique to improve your OPS 900 points! Pitchers hate him!

It worked for Joey Bats, Josh Donaldson, Marlon Byrd (to some extent) and Justin Turner. Maybe Heyward should look at what they did?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
"retooling your swing" works as a survivor's bias. We only remember the times it worked and the times it didn't are lost to the annals

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

tadashi posted:

It worked for Joey Bats, Josh Donaldson, Marlon Byrd (to some extent) and Justin Turner. Maybe Heyward should look at what they did?

Edwin as well.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Brett Jackson attempted to do this in a last ditch chance to save his career last chance to stick in the majors and he is now a private fitness coach in the Bay area.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

"retooling your swing" works as a survivor's bias. We only remember the times it worked and the times it didn't are lost to the annals

Yeah basically this. Making tweaks to your swing/stride whatever can help some players but it won't magically fix your timing or help you identify breaking balls. By the time you make it to the majors you probably have a pretty solid fundamental swing from a mechanics standpoint.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The ideal swing mindset is just to step up to the plate and imitate Gary Sheffield as closely as possible.

This is my strategy for beer league softball so I don't know how well it works in MLB but I figure there has to be some carryover.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Tom Gorman posted:

The ideal swing mindset is just to step up to the plate and imitate Gary Sheffield as closely as possible.

This is my strategy for beer league softball so I don't know how well it works in MLB but I figure there has to be some carryover.

I had a little league teammate who was awful and tried that... he did not have supernatural hand speed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Tom Gorman posted:

1) Are you hitting .300?
2) Do you believe in dinosaurs?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

1) Are you hitting .300?
2) Do you believe in dinosaurs?

1) Definitely not
2) I thought that was Carl Everett, but if Sheffield doesn't believe in dinosaurs either I'm gonna have to switch stances. Something more normal, like Jim Leyritz or Tony Batista.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I need help. I'm finally getting rid of this tragedy of an avatar and I wanna get Dansby up on this piece.

Thing is I'm not creative at all. Any ideas? Currently looking for pictures - only idea I had was something featuring the double play between him and phillips the other day.

I like this one too, but the sizing probably makes it tough for avatar size.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 27, 2017

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tom Gorman posted:

1) Definitely not
2) I thought that was Carl Everett, but if Sheffield doesn't believe in dinosaurs either I'm gonna have to switch stances. Something more normal, like Jim Leyritz or Tony Batista.

You're not hitting .300 in beer league softball? The mendoza line is like .430.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tom Gorman posted:

I straight up do this and it's great.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

With a 1.000 SLG

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm pretty bad but I make up for it with scrap, hustle and sliding into 1st.

I'm the Nick Punto of softball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I had a dream last night that the NL got the DH and the Cubs signed Alfonso Soriano to play DH. He had grey hair and a grey beard and hit a bunch of dingers. I have no idea.

• Locked thread