Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People don't expect to get social security and thus start rumbling about not wanting to pay into it at all anymore, get rid of it.

the same will occur with medicare if we let that casual language be used anywhere near our very much endangered entitlements.

not that they aren't likely already ruined beyond repair after Trump's done in Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

The article in question. The phrase in question is used in the lede. The author, Jennifer Steinhauer, mostly writes about the Trump administration and Congressional politics over the last few months. Judging from her Twitter there isn't any reason to believe she's making a value statement about Medicare and SS, just saying that they cost a lot of money to run.

I'm the proper use of em dashes in the lede

also this is a good reminder that I should kickstart the journalism thread, it's been a month and the rhetoric of fake news is continuing to ramp up

ramping up to what? Ed Balls, of course.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

euphronius posted:

They shouldn't use "biggest drain" ever to describe them

It's not hard

would you say its fake news?

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Sometimes I search things for fun...I had no idea that "The Forgotten Man" was the name of this painting/image:

a buff, shirtless shining golden god enters the scene, picks the man off of the bench and places him on his shoulders...

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Coolguye posted:

unironically thinking of making a twitter bot to respond to these people with comments like that

:chloe:

fighting with people on the internet unironically lembo get that poo poo outta my face

you might as well go for a phd in injecting medicine in corpses while you're at it :sparkles:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nonsense posted:

People don't expect to get social security and thus start rumbling about not wanting to pay into it at all anymore, get rid of it.

the same will occur with medicare if we let that casual language be used anywhere near our very much endangered entitlements.

not that they aren't likely already ruined beyond repair after Trump's done in Washington.

if this is your angle you need to stop using that word too

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Bethamphetamine posted:

Ohio bill to outlaw marital rape gets zero support from GOP lawmakers

adesperatewomanprays.jpg

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/ohio-bill-to-outlaw-marital-rape-gets-zero-support-from-gop-lawmakers/

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Thunder God Biden posted:

a buff, shirtless shining golden god enters the scene, picks the man off of the bench and places him on his shoulders...

frontwards, so he can pee in his mouth

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

proof of concept posted:

if this is your angle you need to stop using that word too

what's a good word to replace it with? I'm lazy about the language i pick up from conversation being in Texas n all. I'd rather like to know so I don't play conservatives games.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nonsense posted:

what's a good word to replace it with? I'm lazy about the language i pick up from conversation being in Texas n all. I'd rather like to know so I don't play conservatives games.

"Popular and effective programs "

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i do in fact, you quoted me doing so!!!!!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

zegermans posted:

They would have been run out of town on a rail, but the coal mine shut down all the rail lines and then the rail lines were all scrapped for heroin.

That expression actually is much older and refers to hog-tying the person to a fence rail and then carting them out to the town limits and dumping them.

Of course, all the fence rails have also been sold for heroin so your larger point stands.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

euphronius posted:

"Popular and effective programs "

"the things that stop your gram-gram dying"

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Nonsense posted:

i use moochmeat.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

oh there they go again bitchin' about their moochmeats

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What is wrong with compassionate conservatives in the Midwest and South!?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

those old folks think that just because they were tricked into the moochmeat fund that they gonna get their moochmeats.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

fits my needs posted:

their compassion usually involves dragging someone behind their pickup truck with rope instead of chains

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fits my needs posted:

Well, first off, there's no such thing.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

fits my needs posted:

it is a tired meme, but allow me to state, "Ohio"

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Regular Nintendo posted:

drat i didnt know we still did that

I was kicked out of a county in central Illinois. They put out a geographical arrest warrant on me. It could only be served inside that county should I ever return there. It's still an open warrant last I checked, 14 years later. It's pretty funny, especially the few times I've seen cops run my name since then and get upset that they can't arrest me.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nonsense posted:

sup fellow tx goon :respek: "social programs" is what I usually go with

"entitlements" is the biggest conservative win in the battle to define the terms used in public discourse and it's just gross

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Weeping Wound posted:

it is a tired meme, but allow me to state, "Ohio"

could be worse

could be indiana

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Arms_Akimbo posted:

I was kicked out of a county in central Illinois. They put out a geographical arrest warrant on me. It could only be served inside that county should I ever return there. It's still an open warrant last I checked, 14 years later. It's pretty funny, especially the few times I've seen cops run my name since then and get upset that they can't arrest me.

can u pls share what u did to get banned from a county if its hilarious that is

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Arms_Akimbo posted:

What did you do?

proof of concept posted:

sup fellow tx goon :respec: "social programs" is what I usually go with

"entitlements" is the biggest conservative win in the battle to define the terms used in public discourse and it's just gross

A dentist I know in west texas likes to ramble about the EIC and how horrible it is.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

a helpful bear posted:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

:frogon:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

a helpful bear posted:

I too would like to hear what crime is bad enough to constitute banishment, but no actual jail time.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

redneck nazgul posted:

their compassion usually involves dragging someone behind their pickup truck with rope instead of chains

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well, first off, there's no such thing.

Oh, okay. So are you just expected to like, take being raped as a part of life as a woman? Or lying in the street to die if you have a major illness?

I guess the heroin and oxy is part of the solution?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
lol why is theodore roosevelt happy that obama is trampling the constitution? what did he do to piss off the artiest

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

cumshitter posted:

lol why is theodore roosevelt happy that obama is trampling the constitution? what did he do to piss off the artiest

He created the national parks the loving bastard.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

fits my needs posted:

Oh, okay. So are you just expected to like, take being raped as a part of life as a woman? Or lying in the street to die if you have a major illness?

I guess the heroin and oxy is part of the solution?

yes?

women are the property of men

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fits my needs posted:

Oh, okay. So are you just expected to like, take being raped as a part of life as a woman?
Yes, but they don't accept that it's rape.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gringostar posted:

yes?

women are the property of men

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Donald Trump is making America great again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

cumshitter posted:

I'd guess either his conservationism or trust busting. Or maybe that time he invited Booker T. Washington to dine at the White House?

• Locked thread