Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I would identify the underlying cause differently.

The underlying cause is that the best animated feature is essentially a combination of the Best Picture oscar and the Best Foreign Language Film oscar, jammed into a single category. On the one hand you have the major US cinema releases, which Disney/Pixar rightfully dominate because typically the competition just sucks. Then on the other hand you get a smattering of random films with much more limited releases that they put in to encourage people to see. (Stuff like Kubo and Song of the Sea, while in english, had releases relatively small enough that they might as well be counted there)

The Oscars is kinda a microcosm of the cinema industry in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I genuinely think Zootopia would have won even if it were not Disney. But often, Disney is doing the most solid storytelling that anyone saw. That's distinct from branding as such.

I do agree that BH6 is an undeserved winner, and Inside Out, but honestly I have an unusually low opinion of both films so I don't know if my complaints there are legit.

PS - I still intensely dislike Inside Out

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I haven't seen Inside Out yet but I'm with you on Big Hero 6.

I'm biased though because, really, I cannot express how disappointed I was when it went from the setup for a movie about a kid finding himself through underground robot fights to a generic superhero teamup. :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Much like Trolls, I think the big weakness of BH6 is that it is constrained by the property upon which it is based. If it weren't, it would probably have been ten times better. I was ultimately still able to enjoy Trolls, but BH6 feels like a waste of my time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pick posted:

Much like Trolls, I think the big weakness of BH6 is that it is constrained by the property upon which it is based. If it weren't, it would probably have been ten times better. I was ultimately still able to enjoy Trolls, but BH6 feels like a waste of my time.

BH6 isn't constrained by the property upon which it is based at all. It has almost nothing to do with it but the names.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I wanted to punch something when BH6 won. That's as emotionally invested in and insulted by I've ever been with the Oscars.
Just slapped me right in the goddamn face. :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

BH6 isn't constrained by the property upon which it is based at all. It has almost nothing to do with it but the names.

It had to be a superhero team setup film.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

seriously though give me Disney's Robot Jox / Real Steel

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Disney's Aliens Ate My Homework, pleaaaaase :pray:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I think the argument is that it had to be Big Hero 6 when the narrative really wanted to be Big Hero 2.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pick posted:

Disney's Aliens Ate My Homework, pleaaaaase :pray:

that would also be good, Bruce Coville is by far the better of the two children's authors who got me into horror

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
They should adapt his "my teacher is an alien" series, which is some kind of united coalition of utopian aliens who are horrified by humans and deciding whether or not to just blow the earth up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

They should adapt his "my teacher is an alien" series, which is some kind of united coalition of utopian aliens who are horrified by humans and deciding whether or not to just blow the earth up.

That's the one she's talking about!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's the one she's talking about!

No, I'm talking about the one with the Galactic Patrol. Snout, not Broxholm.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pick posted:

No, I'm talking about the one with the Galactic Patrol.

Okay I'm completely lost then, this is the only Aliens Ate My Homework I know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_Ate_My_Homework

e: oh okay those are actually two different series, poo poo, I was thinking of My Teacher Flunked the Planet

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Okay I'm completely lost then, this is the only Aliens Ate My Homework I know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_Ate_My_Homework

Correct, and then My Teacher is an Alien is a different series he did, where the kid's teacher is an alien who hates flute or something, but it turns out that he's a good alien who is trying to save Earth from the judgment of other alien races who are like "dang, humans are hosed up" and sort of think maybe they should just explode it from space before we achieve credible space technology. In Aliens Ate My Homework, no one really gives a poo poo about Earth particularly (until the last book when it's like a convenient setpiece or something but that one mostly takes place elsewhere).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I liked Big Hero 6 a lot and am super looking forward to the Disney XD series, but no way in hell did it deserve to win over Kaguya.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Big Hero 6 was a good film that I almost entirely forgot about after watching it. Hell, my mind kept thinking Disney went straight from Frozen to Zootopia for a good while, that's how much of an impact it left on me. I even keep forgetting the puffy robot's name is "Baymax", even after being reminded of it several times (including a quick Google just to make this post) - my mind keeps wanting to call him B-MO, but that's the little robot dude from Adventure Time - and Baymax's the aspect of that film that Disney's been marketing the most, it feels like!

Inside Out was definitely my favorite animated film of 2015, though, we may have to agree to disagree on that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What do you think would have won each year if the Best Animated category had been created in 1990?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
General reminder that the Oscar's work on a ranked voting system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfIxihGOaQ8

There is basically no chance in hell anything other than Disney/Pixar's biggest movie is going to win Best Animated, particularly since animation is still a second-class film category that gets no respect from the academy's voting base, so most voters would just fill in one or two of the nominations and leave the rest blank, since they never saw the "obscure Chinese poo poo" that make up the other nominees in theatres.

EDIT: Though I do find it funny that this video explicitly calls out La La Land as the Best Picture winner with Moonlight as the underdog. And given the gently caress up they had I wouldn't be surprised if there's a significant number of people out there who think that La La Land won.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 27, 2017

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

The best animated film of 1995 is Ghost in the Shell and 1997 is End of Evangelion (or Perfect Blue!). :colbert:

98 is The Prince of Egypt Mulan (goddamn i am blind) and 99 is The Iron Giant

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 27, 2017

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

PenguinKnight posted:

The best animated film of 1995 is Ghost in the Shell and 1997 is End of Evangelion (or Perfect Blue!). :colbert:

98 is The Prince of Egypt Mulan (goddamn i am blind) and 99 is The Iron Giant

Princess Mononoke for 1997. I'll fight you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Princess Mononoke for 1997. I'll fight you.

It's not shade on Princess Mononoke, EoE is just that good.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PenguinKnight posted:

98 is The Prince of Egypt Mulan (goddamn i am blind)

No, no Prince of Egypt is the right choice.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Much more difficult year: 1999 had both Adolescence of Utena and The Iron Giant.

Like, jesus christ.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pick posted:

PS - I still intensely dislike Inside Out

You have me beat on the intense dislike, but I thought I was the only one with negative feelings on the movie. I think it was hyped up so much to me as this deep movie by friends that when I saw it I just reacted negatively when it didn't deliver. To this day everyone I know tells me that it's this deep, incredibly moving movie that unironically drives them to tears and while I can't disagree that it feels like that to them, I just don't see it or feel it.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

The interesting thing is, imo, that for the first half of the 90s, animated films were kind of a wasteland outside of Disney/Ghibli

SatansBestBuddy posted:

No, no Prince of Egypt is the right choice.

Yeah both are really good

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Martytoof posted:

To this day everyone I know tells me that it's this deep, incredibly moving movie that unironically drives them to tears and while I can't disagree that it feels like that to them, I just don't see it or feel it.

I agree, to the extent that the idea that Inside Out is 'deep' is in disservice to appreciating what it does have going on in its favor. I mean, it's called "inside out," implying an inversion of perception, not in the revelation of depth but exuberance of surface. To get the most out of it you have to read as a kiddie version of eXistenZ or Broadcast News, where these seemingly microcosmic emotions are actually looking in upon the hyperreal fantasy of a Pixar movie.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I thought Inside Out was a cool movie that can help kids learn to deal with feelings :shrug:

I've seen it 3 times and cried like a babby every time

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hedrigall posted:

I thought Inside Out was a cool movie that can help kids learn to deal with feelings :shrug:

Inside Out doesn't help kids deal with poo poo. It's for moms who, like the protagonist, weep while digging through old baby photos: "she used to be so innocent!"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hedrigall posted:

I've seen it 3 times and cried like a babby every time

All animated films are about helping kids deal with their feelings: Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Zootopia, Beauty & the Beast, Prince of Egypt, Shrek, Finding Nemo, characters learning to deal with their feelings is supremely generic.

Inside Out features characters attempting to deal with their feelings as part of the generic conflict between its characters. The story is about attempting to write the perfect coming-of-age story.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Inside Out doesn't help kids deal with poo poo. It's for moms who, like the protagonist, weep while digging through old baby photos: "she used to be so innocent!"

Still a fun and cool movie

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

starkebn posted:

:yeah:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

starkebn posted:

Fun perhaps, but it's really, like, painfully square too. It's hard to think of a film less cool than Inside Out.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Fun perhaps, but it's really, like, painfully square too. It's hard to think of a film less cool than Inside Out.

I am fine with this opinion as long as we accept that "cool" is a quality at best orthogonal to art

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

starkebn posted:

I agree, it's probably the best film Pixar has ever produced.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't love Inside Out but I do like how dorky and uncool it is.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

21 Muns posted:

I am fine with this opinion as long as we accept that "cool" is a quality at best orthogonal to art

Right, but then the actual problem: the film's literal message is that you should raise your child as as if she were a corporation. And vice-versa. It's corporate personhood taken to an extreme.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Fangz posted:

I don't love Inside Out but I do like how dorky and uncool it is.

The best part is where Abstract Thought is utilized in much the same way as the image of the factory in Modern Times. This degenerating engine of all consciousness not only threatens to destroy Joy, but also Sadness, evoking total alienation from social life and the perceived essence of humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I felt that Inside Out was a gimmick that didn't/couldn't commit and took lazy shortcuts.