Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

I want this pet, and I want the pet to have unmuteable sound effects that plays for everyone in town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Protip: Stand medium/close range to izaro even if you are a ranged build. His AI changes based on your relative position. Some attacks are either easier to see if he is near you (the slash/slams), making them actually easier to dodge in time, and other attacks just don't happen or are modified when you are in close range and are actually less threatening than they are at extreme ranges (such as the greater multiple projectile vomit).

I think a part of the mechanics of the fight are that the super ranged attack is supposed to be kinda bullshit, to force you to come close and interact with some of his other mechanics. If you dip in and out of range it's not as bad, but it can get dicey if you stay away for too long. By staying at infinite range you are trying to bypass part of the battle, and the game doesn't let you do that without a price. Seems good to me.

Similar mechanics can be found in other fights. As another example, RaizQT describes how this is relevant in the malachai fight in his most recent speed/race progression commentary.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 27, 2017

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Mont'regul's grasp going from +2000 to +5000 zombie life and from increased physical damage to more physical damage could make that kind of thing fun again.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Mont'regul looks like it could be kind of cool

Mjolner looks like it is still bad

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Mjolner is a ~20-25% more multiplier. It's helpful but I don't know exactly how lacking it was before. It's worth about an extra gem link though.

Montregul's now ACTUALLY merges your zombies by halving their number but doubling their damage. It'll be useful if zombie summoners are a thing since the exploding corpses is like an extra gem link, but I think there is no real point in using it if you're not specifically focusing on zombies.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Social Media posted:

from increased physical damage to more physical damage
What is the difference between these?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Increased goes on the pile with all your other increased, each More is its own multiplier.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Increased goes on the pile with all your other increased, each More is its own multiplier.
Okay, thanks.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

The short answer is that increased sources are additive while more sources are multiplicative.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I just started playing PoE again last week after years away, and I'm super sucked into it again, but what the hell am I supposed to do between now and Friday?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
You can be like me, and play standard, or you can shitpost.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Aerox posted:

I just started playing PoE again last week after years away, and I'm super sucked into it again, but what the hell am I supposed to do between now and Friday?

Theorycraft builds and wait for the patch notes so you can decide what you are starting as.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aerox posted:

Standard with your existing character, once those transfer.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Which I hope happens soon because I want to take my necromancer at least to the end of merciless.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

funmanguy posted:

You can be like me, and play standard and also shitpost.

ftfy

..just joking my friendly funman!

I will likely practice some normal runs for fun because I am part of the fortunate minority that generally enjoys leveling/racing from 0 gear.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Which I hope happens soon because I want to take my necromancer at least to the end of merciless.

remember: you can do maps pretty much as soon as you get to a4, don't bother with merc a4 other than dried lake, get to maps asap and have fun!

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Also, looks like sceptre base damage values are getting buffed, while crit getting lowered. If the new unique preview is anything to go by.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Insurrectionist posted:

In 3.0 they should just change it to Lab and Uber Lab (I assume they're planning to do so as it'd be real silly to make you go in there twice while leveling without the difficulty-replay as an excuse) and it's fine. Going through it four times just for your ascendancy is tedious.

That would be insane though, as you'd get 6 points from a single lab run. You can't split some of them to uber lab because a lot of builds would have more trouble running it without their proper ascendencies.

They've already mentioned that you'll probably just reuse the act 3 entrance as you unlock each difficulty of the labyrinth.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

funmanguy posted:

I want this pet, and I want the pet to have unmuteable sound effects that plays for everyone in town.

But but but my immmmeeeerrrsiiooon.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 28, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

remember: you can do maps pretty much as soon as you get to a4, don't bother with merc a4 other than dried lake, get to maps asap and have fun!

dont forget the deshret skill point

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

Magus42 posted:

They've already mentioned that you'll probably just reuse the act 3 entrance as you unlock each difficulty of the labyrinth.

Yes, Chris said that there would be 3 different entrances within the lab lobby zone, which would be unlocked throughout the 10 acts.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

lurksion posted:

It's increased though, and you'll have other sources of lightning/ele damage from tree/jewels...don't think it'll save it.

Big passive boosts on items can let you rework your tree pretty significantly. That's 7-8 passives worth of damage and pathing at least that can now go toward crit or survivability. Same way that pledge of hands makes MoM so much easier to pull off. It's not the greatest buff ever but it's pretty good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What are some other classes with a fun start? I've tried a couple but they're all boring compared to how quickly summoner Witch got going.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also, is there some way to make evasion viable? My last character was a Ranger, but I didn't get very far because it seemed like going evasion-heavy just meant every so often an attack just exploded me. I assume there's a way to do it.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Ranger once you get Lightning Arrow (just before Merveil iirc) isn't bad to level with.

Abusing the hell out of flasks and adding dodge or block.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

from what i understand evasion works in such a way that it will decide to let hits through automatically if you roll too many evasions in a time frame. stacking armor and dodge (which is purely random) helps mitigate these spikes.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Awesome! posted:

from what i understand evasion works in such a way that it will decide to let hits through automatically if you roll too many evasions in a time frame. stacking armor and dodge (which is purely random) helps mitigate these spikes.
Evasion is entropic, yeah. It also suffers from the usual issue of evasiveness, which is that if you do get hit, it hurts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is an evasion/energy shield build viable? I think the green/blue mix seems interesting with Shadow.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
At this point im like 50/50 that they spilled coffee on the breach servers and all our stuff is gone.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

What are some other classes with a fun start? I've tried a couple but they're all boring compared to how quickly summoner Witch got going.

What exactly do you mean? Playing the build from the earliest possible level at high efficiency, or playing the build with as little time invested into the game as possible?

For instance, 'fireball' is not so great in act1 normal, but it's super strong later. However, generic witch/shadow/templar caster starts are insanely powerful and transition back into whatever other build you want quite easily.

Firetrap+freeze pulse 1-2 combo most everything from 100- to 0, add in flametotem/spark for single target, flame dash for movement, then firestorm and flame surge for aoe/single target. From there you are going pretty much as fast as possible until you want to switch things up. Right now, for experienced players/ladder pushing, that means switching to flameblast totems somewhere near a4 normal/a1 cruel, and going fast until maps.

I would also guess that you found summoner to feel fast because you are new to the game and don't really have very good 'mechanics' to make other builds work as well as they can. Summons kinda just do the thing for you - maybe try a totem build? I suppose they are somewhat inbetween a minionmancer and selfcast in terms of how active you have to be to make them work.

MannersPlease fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 28, 2017

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

funmanguy posted:

At this point im like 50/50 that they spilled coffee on the breach servers and all our stuff is gone.

considering i have roughly ~350x more wealth in breach than I do in standard, I'd be pretty heartbroken.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

funmanguy posted:

Nah, things are moving. I have ~75% of my Breach tabs in Standard now.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is an evasion/energy shield build viable? I think the green/blue mix seems interesting with Shadow.

The hybrid gear is mostly useless for their defensive stats outside of Aegis Aurora specifically. The game just favors stacking one stat really hard over splitting your focus between multiple stats.

That said, Grace provides an insane amount of evasion for any build, and Grace/Armor flasks/Evasion flasks are especially powerful for builds that can use a Skin of the Loyal (chestpiece that gives +100% global defenses, which are Evasion, Armor, and ES).

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
I also believe that the entropy mechanic can be reset if you don't have to roll for evade for a set period of time, which can be a useful thing to keep in mind as well.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
These buffs to uniques are amazing, sure most of what we have seen are not endgame amazing or something you build around, but they are useful and something you'd actually use. So many of them will be great all the way up to maps and some builds will keep them around. I can see a lot of people throwing on some Kaom's Roots for Uber Lab. Hell it would be a huge hit to ES but for CI, stun/knockback/freeze immune all in one slot is drat good and you get to run temp chains maps for free also.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Welp.

Lochtonial Caress go from best leveling gloves to best leveling gloves.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Dang yo, Roots and Flight might actually be worth using now.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

For a hypothetical zombie build with the new threshold jewel and buffed Mon'tregul, would it be more damage to put the zombie setup in a +2 minion hat or in a 6l?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MannersPlease posted:

I would also guess that you found summoner to feel fast because you are new to the game and don't really have very good 'mechanics' to make other builds work as well as they can. Summons kinda just do the thing for you - maybe try a totem build? I suppose they are somewhat inbetween a minionmancer and selfcast in terms of how active you have to be to make them work.
Yeah, this is fair. The super easy synergy of zombie/skeleton/raging spirit gets you going really fast.

• Locked thread