Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Keiko is awesome because she'll tell Miles to go fool around with Kira or Bashir so she can some plant :science: done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Unification, part II was a huge missed opportunity for Data to learn the art of the "Your Mom" joke.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't know, I feel like Data's laugh imitation is a thousand times more devastating than any your mom joke could ever be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZA6hNPKAX8

Also you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a clip of him that isn't the first time he does that or his actual laughing in Deja Q.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Beyond lost the Makeup & Hairstyling Oscar to Suicide Squad. Bluh.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The_Doctor posted:

Bioware talking about the new player character in Mass Effect: Andromeda:

Crewman: Ryder, the Bad Aliens are going to kill us all, what should we do?
Ryder: *giggles*
Ryder: *plays jazz solo*
Ryder: I don't know

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pakled posted:

Beyond lost the Makeup & Hairstyling Oscar to Suicide Squad. Bluh.

I was more upset about costuming because Beyond had my favorite non-turtleneck duty uniforms in any Trek.

Both wins were well deserved, though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

My mom sent me her CBS All Access password today. Apparently she got it for The Good Wife, so now I will be able to watch Discovery as soon as it airs.

:confuoot:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sever.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In the fall, expect it to be pushed to Spring 2018.

City on the Edge of Duke Nukem Forever.

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/836334478876364800

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gonz posted:

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/836334478876364800

Does vaporware apply to tv shows or should we coin a new term? This is the only new frontier Discovery is exploring.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've come to the conclusion that everyone in DS9 is really small. Jake Sisko towers over everyone, but I've met Cirroc Lofton, and he's shorter than me. :confused:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

I've come to the conclusion that everyone in DS9 is really small. Jake Sisko towers over everyone, but I've met Cirroc Lofton, and he's shorter than me. :confused:

With the exception of Michael Dorn (who's like 6'5) and Lofton (6'2", maybe 6'3"?), the male cast hangs around 6'0 or so. I suppose Shimerman is a tiny guy, as is Eisenberg.

But if you're taller than Lofton, then you're taller than the vast majority of people in America.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Watching TNG's conundrum.

After the crew gets their memories back they(picard especially) completely glance over the fact that the Enterprise just slaughtered 50 innocent Lysians aboard that sentry ship.

Like, that would give most people ptsd or at least cause a massive international(in space terms) incident.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I'm just a smidge under 6'6".

Make me a Klingon, CBS. Do it.

Do it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chromatic posted:

After the crew gets their memories back they(picard especially) completely glance over the fact that the Enterprise just slaughtered 50 innocent Lysians aboard that sentry ship.

Like, that would give most people ptsd or at least cause a massive international(in space terms) incident.

There's a galaxy wide set of conventions, like the Geneva conventions, that cover stuff like this under a broad umbrella of "these things happen."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

With the exception of Michael Dorn (who's like 6'5) and Lofton (6'2", maybe 6'3"?), the male cast hangs around 6'0 or so. I suppose Shimerman is a tiny guy, as is Eisenberg.

But if you're taller than Lofton, then you're taller than the vast majority of people in America.

I'm about 6'3-'4, but I remember him being a few inches shorter. Maybe he was just tired and slouching. v:shobon:v

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Chromatic posted:

At this point there have to be clauses in everyone's legal codes providing mitigating circumstances for alien mind control. Which would probably make a great excuse for anyone inclined to crime: "It wasn't me who robbed that bank, your honor, it was the all-powerful energy being possessing me at the time. Oh, now? It's gone."

There's your next series: lawyers in space. The trial episodes were always Trek's best, anyway.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm sure the Federation Diplomatic Corps has an entire wing dedicated to patching up problems with races too weak to avoid a starship stepping on them but advanced enough to complain.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gonz posted:

In the event we can ever rid ourselves of this old repeat of a thread title, I nominate this to replace it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Hydronium posted:

At this point there have to be clauses in everyone's legal codes providing mitigating circumstances for alien mind control. Which would probably make a great excuse for anyone inclined to crime: "It wasn't me who robbed that bank, your honor, it was the all-powerful energy being possessing me at the time. Oh, now? It's gone."

There's your next series: lawyers in space. The trial episodes were always Trek's best, anyway.

It's not like they don't have tons of officers who can tell if you're lying. Unless you're a drat Ferengi or Toydarian or whatever

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lord Hydronium posted:

I would watch Starfleet JAG

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The world doesn't need another loving lawyer show

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

WampaLord posted:

I would watch Starfleet JAG

Normal JAG sucked. Space JAG would suck even more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Evek posted:

Space JAG sounds AWESOME.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm sure the Federation Diplomatic Corps has an entire wing dedicated to patching up problems with races too weak to avoid a starship stepping on them but advanced enough to complain.

The answer is I would hate something to happen to your nice planet the next time you have an issue

Orv
May 4, 2011

Evek posted:

How about :

The West Starfleet HQ

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gonz posted:

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

In the event we can ever rid ourselves of this old repeat of a thread title, I nominate this to replace it.

:yeah:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

quote:

Dear Zendrackians,

On behalf of the United Federation of Planets, allow me to deeply apologize for the unfortunate incident on Stardate 59142 when the Federation Starship Exeter accidentally destroyed your starship/space station/spacecraft/colony/culture/planet due to an accidental weapons discharge/time travel/undue alien influence/mind control by a god-like entity/space parasites/subspace rupture due to elevated thoron emissions.

We greatly regret this sad loss of life/planetary genocide/property damage/timeline change/irreversible ecological damage/cultural pollution. While we would like to compensate you in some way, we do not use money or monetary instruments at this time, and our laws forbid us to share any technology with civilizations such as yours that are at what we consider Type 0/1/2/3/4 AND/OR are involved in localized interplanetary war.

Perhaps some day we will be able to encounter you again, when your civilization and ours are more compatible. Until then, Live Long and Prosper.

Sincerely Yours,
Undersecretary G'lash Vrandan
United Federation of Planets,
Earth, Sol

Astroman fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 28, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

Bioware talking about the new player character in Mass Effect: Andromeda:

This kills me, of course the Riker option is "can I stick my dick into it?"

The Diplomatic corps had a whole department just for Kirk incidents. A century later they were retooled to apologize to the entire Delta Quadrant.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Chromatic posted:

Picard mentions conveying regrets about the Lysian ship. I mean, yeah it's a throwaway, but you've only got ~44 minutes for the whole story.

(Alternately: what, they got super-physics (FTL, transporters, etc) but they can't have super-psychology? And besides, "oh whoops we accidentally whacked a boatload of suckers" is probably way less stressful than what Geordi went through with that Romulan brainwashing.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean Geordi didn't get a whole ten second scene in a movie about his brainwashing so it's clearly not that bad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

(Alternately: what, they got super-physics (FTL, transporters, etc) but they can't have super-psychology? And besides, "oh whoops we accidentally whacked a boatload of suckers" is probably way less stressful than what Geordi went through with that Romulan brainwashing.)

Have you seen Troi?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Have you seen Troi?

She's the one with the bumpy nose and the goofy ear jewelry, right? Love that gal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Star Trek JAG: Telepathic Victims Unit would also be a cool show.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The first six seasons just follow Luxanna around and deal with her fallout.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Star Trek Cop Show.

"Married woman, dead in her own home? Door locked from the inside when we arrived? Her husband did it, open and shut case."
"But Captain, what about hir neighbours? You know, Bloodthirsty Kar'ixi the Eel and Phases-Through-Walls-Dave?
"You've got a lot to learn about Space Police work kid."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

:hfive:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
JAG: In Space would probably actually be more believable and grounded than the original, honestly

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

twistedmentat posted:

If you watch the PBS Documentary about Prohibition it has lots of clips with sound of people in the 20s talking, and its really interesting for example Figerello LaGuardia and Al Smith, both New Yorkers, sound completely different. Not like they're from different parts of the city, but from different countries. There's other accents that are from the moon as well in there.

Some accents survive purely as parody, like the Mid-Atlantic accent, which would be what rich women in the Simpsons tend to have, very clipped and precise. Come to think of it, Admiral Satei had it in the Drumhead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8tOiqrIAOQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JAG Trek would be great for four episodes and then run out of premise.

Half the point of episodic USS Enterprise Trek is that they can drive in and do random episodes like that as one-offs without wearing out their welcome.