Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Cardboard Box A posted:

Which is why the leaked Jurassic Park 4 script is the way forward for the series. World even laid the groundwork.

This was so loving good. Did the first half even have dinosaurs in it? It was like a James Bond movie and then halfway in oh poo poo let's team up and kick rear end lizard man pals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

They're ashamed.

Or the special effects aren't finished.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A lot of the "no skeletons in china" talk probably comes from seeing video game companies altering their own artwork/models for a release in China. From what I've heard that is not required tho, they basically alter things that might lead to objections by Chinese officials so that there won't be anything delaying the release of the game. They play it safe to be sure they don't miss out on a huge market.

I know Valve went as far to expand these changes to a "low violence" mode which also removes a lot of the blood.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 27, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Red Bones posted:

Dinosaurs are cool but unfortunately they are just animals, which really cuts down on the number of interesting movies you can make about them because you've gotta jump through a lot of narrative hoops to justify bringing something into a story that really only wants to eat food and mate. Like it adds a lot of complexity to a narrative, and the net result is essentially the same as just introducing a bear or a tiger. Jurassic Park works so well because the dinosaurs fit cleanly into the narrative: they act like wild animals when they escape, they're there to prove a point about scientific overreach and the unpredictability of nature, and it uses the cultural fascination we have with dinosaurs by making the whole story about a theme park. It's all integrated so neatly, it's a great premise. Outside of that, they're really only good for time travel plots, lost world stuff and the faux nature documentary, which is why someone should cough up a hundred million dollars and make another Walking With Dinosaurs.

You forgot the Dinotopia Protocol. Sentient dinosaur land. Just add a pinch of GRRMdark fantasy for the 2020s and voila.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah if there was a show that was "Game of Thrones but everyone has a huge fuckoff pet dinosaur that's smart" people would eat it up. Budget would be insane though to make it look good. I always figured something like that was toxic forever though after Disney struck out twice, first with the mega embarrassing Dinotopia TV mini-series, then again with Disney's Dinosaurs.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The MSJ posted:

I know everyone is all hyped about Logan, but please be aware that The Shack is also getting released this week after being delayed for months.

That Christian movie? Looks terrible.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

For a movie that's supposedly mostly about orcs that trailer really, really underplayed the orc elements.

I take offense with the "Experience A New World" when it comes across as a Shadowrun prequel.

Honestly the tagline comes of as TOTALLY ORIGINAL IDEA DO NUT STEAL

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Young Freud posted:

I take offense with the "Experience A New World" when it comes across as a Shadowrun prequel.

Oh my God thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had this thought. It literally looks like a Shadowrun movie, to the point where I'm shocked they didn't just license the IP.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Kong's Final Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LdLqgOpjo

Also, these are a thing or merely a product of some overexcited fan?

https://twitter.com/kamacuras2525/status/836051878320324608

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs. Kong are definitely real and were officially announced last year (around the same time that they said Kong was part of their monsters cinematic universe). Destroy All Monsters is the only one that seems like wild fan speculation.

Edit: The movies are real but the posters are certainly fan-made, considering they're still writing the new Godzilla and just got a new director hired like a month ago.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

The MSJ posted:

I know everyone is all hyped about Logan, but please be aware that The Shack is also getting released this week after being delayed for months.

It looks like a more dour take on the premise of Collateral Beauty, which was Bad. Anyone have thoughts on the book

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My favorite thing about this trailer is the unintentional implication that Kong learned to swordfight from watching Dr. Steve Brule in action

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

God Hole posted:

It looks like a more dour take on the premise of Collateral Beauty, which was Bad. Anyone have thoughts on the book

I couldn't finish it because I thought the premise was awful.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think it's really funny that China is still upset about Brad Pitt starring in Seven Years in Tibet, 20 years ago. You'd probably have to remind most people in the US that it exists.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it's really funny that China is still upset about Brad Pitt starring in Seven Years in Tibet, 20 years ago. You'd probably have to remind most people in the US that it exists.

Apparently someone from Disney had to apologize to China because of Kundun before they would open a theme park?

Shits crazy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I want to do dumb jurassic park pitches too.

the most popular dinosaur at jurassic park is lady, a raptor. they want to ship her from jurassic park east to Jurassic Japan on tour, but on the way their the ship crashes and she gets lost and has an adventure making her way to japan and talks to animals and its very kid friendly. but the big twist is once she gets to jurassic japan, she finds out they clone her and they have a new lady so she leaves and joins the animal friends she made on another adventure.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snooze Cruise posted:

I want to do dumb jurassic park pitches too.

the most popular dinosaur at jurassic park is lady, a raptor. they want to ship her from jurassic park east to Jurassic Japan on tour, but on the way their the ship crashes and she gets lost and has an adventure making her way to japan and talks to animals and its very kid friendly. but the big twist is once she gets to jurassic japan, she finds out they clone her and they have a new lady so she leaves and joins the animal friends she made on another adventure.

Sounds pretty good. So it's basically Madagascar then

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Kong's Final Trailer

I was confused and kinda put off by the weird tone the trailer was going off on but then King Kong grabbed a tree, peeled all the branches off in one swift movement and held it like a sword and I'm like yes I get this I like this

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I saw A Cure for Wellness. Wasn't bad overall, but fell apart near the ending. Plus it could have been 30 minutes shorter (common refrain for movies these days) and lost the entire Wall Street exec component. For all people compared the trailer to Shutter Island, the movie isn't really like it at all. Actually in terms of plot it kind of felt like Gore Verbinski was trying to make up his own Gothic horror story (there are clear visual and/or thematic allusions to Frankenstein, Dracula, The Monk, Castle of Otranto, Dorian Gray, Invisible Man, Alice in Wonderland) that this movie was then a sequel to.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Casimir Radon posted:

I want to believe you could write something good based partly on Japan-scare stuff without turning it into a incoherent racist mess, but now that it's over there's not really any reason to do so. With the crisis past I don't think anything that delves into it would sell very well now.

My favorite bit of media that's related to the subject is Back to the Future Part III having the bit where 1950's Doc Brown exclaims that it's no wonder the machine broke down since all these lovely components are from Japan.

The US has never had a moment between the 70s economic decline and now where they weren't terrified of one foreign country or another overtaking them, the concept is still relevant. The key is that it was never about Germany/Japan/China/etc at all.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The MSJ posted:

If James Wan is not addicted to making bioluminescent underwater Game of Thrones yet, maybe someone can give him 5 million to make a movie based on RE7.

James Wan rebooting the Resident Evil series is something I'd be interested in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Kong's Final Trailer

Kong looks clean and rad and powerful in all the right goofy giant monster ways.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How did they manage to make the CGI look worse than the Peter Jackson one from 10 years ago? Also, Isn't it a prequel but Kong is like 2x bigger and why is he fighting Cloverfield?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

veni veni veni posted:

How did they manage to make the CGI look worse than the Peter Jackson one from 10 years ago? Also, Isn't it a prequel but Kong is like 2x bigger and why is he fighting Cloverfield?

If you're gonna have a Gozilla/Kong mash up you need the monkey to be a lot bigger

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

veni veni veni posted:

Prequel to what?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's a prequel to Godzilla Vs King Kong.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's a predecessor to Godzilla vs King Kong but a prequel to Godzilla since they're in a shared universe. It's not related to the Peter Jackson version.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Are the monsters in Godzilla and King Kong just meant to be long lost prehistoric beasties, or are they supposed to be from space or something.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

veni veni veni posted:

How did they manage to make the CGI look worse than the Peter Jackson one from 10 years ago?

I think the problem (that I noticed, at least) was that this Kong doesn't seem to move as much like a gorilla as Jackson's did. This Kong seems more vertical, standing and walking more like a dude in a suit than a real ape.

Then again, maybe that's what they're going for?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Red Bones posted:

Are the monsters in Godzilla and King Kong just meant to be long lost prehistoric beasties, or are they supposed to be from space or something.

If old Godzilla films are anything to go by, then yes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I think the problem (that I noticed, at least) was that this Kong doesn't seem to move as much like a gorilla as Jackson's did. This Kong seems more vertical, standing and walking more like a dude in a suit than a real ape.

Andy Serkis must be getting really expensive.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Red Bones posted:

Godzilla and presumably Kong are both prehistoric beasties, but we'll probably (?) get Space monsters at some point.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
King Ghidorah is from space and the best monster and the true King of monsters, he has King right in the name!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

well why not posted:

Andy Serkis must be getting really expensive.

This time around, Kong is played by Terry Notary, who's been the movement coach on every Planet of the Apes movie since Tim Burton's. Probably a decent enough replacement.

At least until the animators throw away all the mocap and just keyframe everything.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, this Kong is meant to be more like the original giant ape.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Red Bones posted:

Prehistoric. Though I think the running theme in USzilla 2k15 was 'Godzilla is like the Earth's immune system and will emerge to seriously gently caress poo poo up so watch out humans'.

In the old series they're one part ancient lifeform, a dash of 'what has science wrought by its perversion of the natural order'. Then they start running out of ideas and it's all 'yeah this is a super robot we built off of the remains of an Area 51 timedrone and also we forgot to scan for life and this apex bacteria merged with the Godzilla Cells we were cloning to find a cure for Cancer and now we have to send the robot in to fight the TimeGermX.'

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Red Bones posted:

It doesn't matter.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Will MechaGodzilla be an anti-hero

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Godzilla is prehistoric?

I thought he was a radiation side effect.

I purposefully didn't look up anything before posting this, I did think it was due to all the atomic testing. Is that not accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The CGI looks good.

I don't know why we keep having to explain why there's a giant monkey in the giant monkey movie.

• Locked thread