Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Skyward Sword sends you to each area two or three times. Sometimes you have to redo a big chunk of a dungeon you already beat. If you want to finish it, go ahead. I was really enjoying the game until the final boss battle where I couldn't get the Skyward Strike to go properly and the dude kept stunlocking me. I really liked the thing where you can play all the boss battles over again. Some of them were pretty interesting. I like that you have to do multiple bosses in a row and you don't get to bring any potions or fairies and you only get the items you had available at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you're having fun you should keep playing it, if you're not you should stop

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Just got 20 hearts on my wolf amiibo. I suppose I have time to also actually finish TP before BotW.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Calaveron posted:

No yeah I know, saw a dingdong streamer break NDA to show that the archer link amiibo can net you OoT Link's pantyhose and from the first leaks I know there's an ALttP and Fierce Deity set, but is there a BoTW-specific set?

theres lots of armors and looks like you can dye all of them whatever color, so can just make anything green I guess. There are a few sets that look kinda like the old tunic

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Shoehead posted:

:swoon: He is very pretty..

I think Nintendo's answer to "stop sexualizing the female leads" was "let's just sexualize every lead", and I for one applaud them for it.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 28, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Armor spoiler: some of it looks very sexy

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

There's some loving rad looking outfits and I look forward to playing Breath of the Fashion.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Is there a video, from the Wii U leaks, that's non-spoiler and just shows off how the game looks, or does a comparison to the Switch version yet? Would love to see that but not fixing to look at any big spoilers. My max level of tolerance was the mostly innocent stuff going on in most big publisher preview vids that started dropping 3 or 4 days ago.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Listened to the leaked soundtrack.

Up until now I have been slightly worried about it because of how sparse we've been told it would be. Music is extremely important to me in gaming experiences (surprise!), but the leaks have totally put my mind at ease. Soundtrack owns. The final area theme is great for all the nods it gives to various Zelda games [MUSIC SPOILER BELOW:]

The Hyrule Castle theme (ganon's area) has Ballad of the Wind Fish, Ganon's Theme and the main Legend of Zelda theme thrown in there and they all play off each other. It's fantastic stuff set to a great military snare ostinato pattern. It's wonderful.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I think Nintendo's answer to "stop sexualizing the female leads" was "let's just sexualize every lead", and I for one applaud them for it.

"Why is Zero Suit Samus in a skimpy two-piece?"

"Don't worry fam we hear ya. We got an almost naked Shulk coming for everyone to enjoy!"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

sigmachiev posted:

Is there a video, from the Wii U leaks, that's non-spoiler and just shows off how the game looks, or does a comparison to the Switch version yet? Would love to see that but not fixing to look at any big spoilers. My max level of tolerance was the mostly innocent stuff going on in most big publisher preview vids that started dropping 3 or 4 days ago.

Yeah I'm definitely thinking of getting this for the WiiU if theres no big performance issues

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

El Burbo posted:

Armor spoiler: some of it looks very sexy

Do we get Shota-Shorts Link?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

CharlestonJew posted:

Yeah I'm definitely thinking of getting this for the WiiU if theres no big performance issues

There's enough reports out now to suggest mild framerate drops when there's a lot of weather effects, certain spots in towns and certain enemy camps. I haven't seen one impression really harp on it too bad, but I question how much of that is influenced by basking in the glow of the game overall. That's why I'd like to judge for myself and also get a sense of the gap between 720 and 900p. Haven't seen any mpressions about the sound differences either.

E: Reddit has an AMA going for the Wii U version but it's marked with a spoilers tab and I'm too chickenshit to wade in, but if you don't care and want to report back you will be a prince to me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The only thing I don't think I like about the preview stuff I've seen is the "rolling down a tiny hill can chunk a ton of HP off you" mechanic. That seems super loving pointless and just kinda dumb.

I also hope that stats don't matter that much because I'd hate to find some really cool armor and find out that it's got like 5 defense while this stupid poo poo hat has 90.

Oh, also, does armor itself break as well? I know weapons and tools have durability but I don't wanna lose a outfit I really like if I tumble down a hill like 2-3 times.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
im hearing wiiu has lots of framerate drops when poo poo hits the fan and weather and the switch version only has a few weird framedrops in the starting area.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

sigmachiev posted:

There's enough reports out now to suggest mild framerate drops when there's a lot of weather effects, certain spots in towns and certain enemy camps. I haven't seen one impression really harp on it too bad, but I question how much of that is influenced by basking in the glow of the game overall. That's why I'd like to judge for myself and also get a sense of the gap between 720 and 900p. Haven't seen any mpressions about the sound differences either.

E: Reddit has an AMA going for the Wii U version but it's marked with a spoilers tab and I'm too chickenshit to wade in, but if you don't care and want to report back you will be a prince to me.

I checked it out and most of the questions are just about how it runs on the WiiU, which apparently runs just fine aside from some frame drops during crazy moments

Apparently they took out some of the TouchPad features for the WiiU version so they could promote the switch, and ambient sounds are better on the switch but that's it.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Vikar Jerome posted:

im hearing wiiu has lots of framerate drops when poo poo hits the fan and weather and the switch version only has a few weird framedrops in the starting area.

Well isn't the Wii U version getting a day 1 patch and that might improve performance?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yeah, that's good to get some contrarian views.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

sigmachiev posted:

Yeah, that's good to get some contrarian views.

https://twitter.com/boulapoire/status/836339548175142914

translated thread-

"I just made the Breath of the Wild prologue on Wii U. Unfortunately, it's an amazing ad for the (version) Switch.

Aliasing pronounced, image less clear, serious slowdowns / jerks ... And nothing on the GamePad when you play on TV or vice versa.

There are sometimes hiccups of display during cutscenes or exits of inventory. Physical power + camera rotation = framerate death.

Last trick that comes probably as much from the console as from the game: a loading time of 5 seconds minimum at the return of the Home menu ...

Accuracy: The data / update installment promised for the disk version is done. There may be a patch day one planned but in the meantime ...

Precision # 2: The start zone hurts framerate on Switch, but not at this point. As soon as we leave the set, it's fine."

edit: better translation:

Strictly talking about the tutorial area :
Strong aliasing
Worse sharpness
Serious framerate drops
Visual issues with cutscenes and when getting out of the inventory
Too many actions (using a power+rotating the camera = "framerate death")
5 sec loading time when you get back to the Home menu
He installed every patch available
The plateau on Switch is bad framerate related and it gets better after, but in the plateau it's nowhere near what the Wii U version is

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 28, 2017

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Lmao so the Wii U version of the game is broken at launch unless there's a day one patch that will fix it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

sounds like it, i'm sure they'll be some gameplay videos out soon with the leak and all.

then again, the menu plays on CEMU at full speed apparently so i'm expecting 4k/60fps poo poo in a few weeks time.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Well I already have a refurbished Wii U on the way so I'll just have deal with a broken game until they release a patch if they release one. This is why I have such a love/hate relationship with Nintendo. They can make fantastic games but their console hardware is poo poo.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Aren't the people playing it right now using some pirated WIi U bullshit?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Macintosh HD posted:

street date was broken in a few places but yeah there's a lot of people pirating it right now too.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

spasticColon posted:

Lmao so the Wii U version of the game is broken at launch unless there's a day one patch that will fix it.

There are conflicted reports. The dude running the AMA on reddit right now who got a WiiU copy early due to a store breaking street date says his experience has been great so far outside of occasional frame rate drops during big events (big fights with thuderstorms going on) but says those are very few and far between and always clear right up so who knows.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

spasticColon posted:

Well I already have a refurbished Wii U on the way so I'll just have deal with a broken game until they release a patch if they release one. This is why I have such a love/hate relationship with Nintendo. They can make fantastic games but their console hardware is poo poo.

gameplay vid of the wiiu version, first 15 mins, no spoilers if you've seen the e3 footage. seems okayish? i can see some drops but yeah maybe that day 1 patch will fix it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJsn2MdHOr8

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Macintosh HD posted:

yes this is happening right now. this is the one moment in my life where i can say that i wish i had a wii u

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Hopefully there are enough impressions posted by Friday afternoon for me to decide if I'm going to open my WiiU copy or my Switch copy. WiiU version will have to be pretty dire to not just play that.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

funkymonks posted:

Hopefully there are enough impressions posted by Friday afternoon for me to decide if I'm going to open my WiiU copy or my Switch copy. WiiU version will have to be pretty dire to not just play that.

But if it's Friday afternoon why not just play the Switch version?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Maybe the digital version of the game on Wii U will be a little smoother because it's not having to load the game from a slow rear end optical drive.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Vikar Jerome posted:

gameplay vid of the wiiu version, first 15 mins, no spoilers if you've seen the e3 footage. seems okayish? i can see some drops but yeah maybe that day 1 patch will fix it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJsn2MdHOr8

Exactly what I was hoping to check out, thanks. And thanks to the good brother who posted the french translation, very helpful as well.

E: Not super scientific or anything, but I threw this up on a 65 inch Samsung 4K with Chromecast Ultra, and then did the same with the same footage from the Switch version. My impression was the resolution, framerate and lighting differences are noticeable and rise to a level somewhere above irrelevant and below deal-breaking. Summation was that if I were patient I'd wait for a Switch; I however am not patient, and would greatly prefer playing this weekend to a month or two down the road, so basically will depend if I find a Switch this weekend. But appreciate the helpful links to come to the decision.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 28, 2017

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
So is there any significant graphical differences between the WiiU version and the Switch version besides the 720p resolution instead of 1080p? I'm considering holding out on a Switch and just getting a WiiU copy, but I'm worried it won't feel like the definitive experience.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

check back tomorrow

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
noticed some people had amazon issues for the Wii U version. They changed my delivery date to april 18th or something odd like that. The woman eventually suggested canceling the order then re-pre-ording it since there was no way that order was gonna arrive on time.

Fingers crossed I guess. At least I havent been waiting years and years for a new zelda (twilight princess nearly burned me out on the series, and not in a fun way).

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I thought the only difference graphically between the Wii U and Switch versions of the game is that the Wii U version runs at 720p while the Switch version runs at 900p while docked but runs at 720p in portable mode.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Crosspostin

:siren: AUS GOONS: JB HiFi have Zelda BotW Limited Edition BACK IN STOCK! :siren:

Just remember if you're buying it that it doesn't come with the cool case :(

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
the main theme to this game sounds inspired by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSOkM4e85SA

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

General Morden posted:

the main theme to this game sounds inspired by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSOkM4e85SA

I guess in the sense that both prominently feature an Erhu?

Otherwise there's not really any structural similarities between them in terms of chord progression or melodic development that I can tell.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

MrFlibble posted:

Just got 20 hearts on my wolf amiibo. I suppose I have time to also actually finish TP before BotW.

I got caught up in other games shortly after TPHD came out so I never finished it. Need to try going back and doing this now that my gamelog will allow it.

Except oh wait I'm still pretty early in the game and have things going on through the week so I'll barely have a day and a half to do it :shepicide: Should be a wild ride!

Also managed to score the last few LoZ amiibo I was missing off eBay last week, so other than my weak Wolf Link I'm just about ready for Breath of the Wild. I didn't manage to get a SE preorder in unfortunately, the local GameStop's ran out of preorders on them right around when their doors opened that morning. Might need to make a Best Buy or Target run before picking up my preorders to see if they have any spares that late in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The only thing I don't think I like about the preview stuff I've seen is the "rolling down a tiny hill can chunk a ton of HP off you" mechanic. That seems super loving pointless and just kinda dumb.

I also hope that stats don't matter that much because I'd hate to find some really cool armor and find out that it's got like 5 defense while this stupid poo poo hat has 90.

Oh, also, does armor itself break as well? I know weapons and tools have durability but I don't wanna lose a outfit I really like if I tumble down a hill like 2-3 times.

Armor does not have durability.