Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

KingSlime posted:

The disparity between the two isn't bad at all, I could barely tell. I see some models in YouTube vids where the difference is stark though, wonder if it's shoddy QA because there's a lot of variation goin on here guyz

That might be the reason for some of the confusion and insistence the screen types don't matter. In some cases, doesn't seem like much of a difference, though the difference is clear in others.

Basically, it's a crapshoot on how good your screens are gonna be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
cheap crappy laptops and tablets with IPS displays still tend to look stunning

IPS is master race for sure, I'll settle for being a half-breed though

Dr. Fetus posted:

Basically, it's a crapshoot on how good your screens are gonna be.

That seems to be the case, which is super not cool given how consistent other manufacturers are. I hated going between my phone and my og xl a few years ago, that particular model had some yucky washed out colors and it made me sad

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Man, scalpers suck. It's a bummer when some dude brags on amazon that he got 6 100 dollar 3DSes and is gonna sell five of them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have the Link Between Worlds 3DSXL they released with that game, but honestly due to spergin' I haven't been able to sink into any games since the Nu3DS was released. Now I've had it since release, through some Hori SC's on it and never looked back. Besides a single scratch on the hinge from dropping it once 2 years ago it has no damage that I can see.

Is this something worth selling so I can trade up to a nu3DSXL? I want to play Hyrule Warriors and Xenoblade. Does a small scratch in the outside casing mean I have to sell low? I just want to upgrade. Have any goons had good/bad luck selling on SA mart?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sure. Sell it. You need to get up to the $200 range for a N3ds. You might be able to get over $100 for it. Really depends on the buyer. And Ebay is full of fools.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Don't sell it. You can't system transfer from a 3DS you don't have.

Or at least sell it after.

Also the Nintendo Store refurbs are $170.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I gave Miku 99900 MP for her allowance and she spent it all in 10 minutes. :catstare:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's kids for ya

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I gave Miku 99900 MP for her allowance and she spent it all in 10 minutes. :catstare:

You're not very good at this parenting gig thing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cory Parsnipson posted:

how big is your lawn, i only got like 20 bucks for mowing mine

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Don't shame the guy for indulging impatient manchilren who are willing to pay over retail. Just like retro gaming sperglords who exhibit moral outrage at inflated prices before busting their wallets wide open.

It's not his fault that people are scrubs!

E: I enjoy the dichotomy between our back to back posts

Actually it is the fault of the people setting the absurd prices, hth

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Na our entire society encourages that kind of opportunistic behavior at every level

Just don't pay those prices is my magical solution to not having to deal with inflated prices

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah guys, don't worry, if the scalpers are wrong, the FREE MARKET will sort them out huehuehue

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'm not defending the practice, i actually think our behaviors at large are pretty gross and unjustifiable

In the meantime, don't reward things you don't agree with when possible, yes sometimes that involves compromise on your end.

Nintendo could also be to blame for their crappy supply issues

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:
I have downloaded fantasy life a while back and I'm finding it a bit hard to get into as a 3ds game, it feels a bit slow, is that normal or does it get better after the first town?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

UltraRed posted:

How do you know if your N3DS XL is TN or dual IPS? :ohdear:
If you're looking at the screens and don't see any difference, does it really matter?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Barnes And Body Works posted:

I have downloaded fantasy life a while back and I'm finding it a bit hard to get into as a 3ds game, it feels a bit slow, is that normal or does it get better after the first town?

The main point of Fantasy Life is to scrape that MMO itch you never knew you had to chop trees to make better fishing poles to catch better fish to make better food for when you're exploring. And then make better swords to kill stronger guys so you don't die, while really cute dialogue comes up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How could you possibly choose between the American and European localizations, huh?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Barnes And Body Works posted:

It depends on what you are doing. Perhaps you aren't used to that level of freedom in a game? If you just follow the plot, I bet you can finish in under 10 hours. If you want to level up different lives, it will take a lot longer.

The plot works like this:
Butterfly wants to see a few places. Go see those places. Go to sleep.
You will receive a mail. It will tell you to go somewhere. Go there and do a quest or two. Go to sleep.
Repeat and repeat.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
PSA: Turn off your internet now if you don't want to hear BOTW spoilers.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dehry posted:

PSA: Turn off your internet now if you don't want to hear BOTW spoilers.

cant believe link kills ganondorf

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
US dudes, Walmart has Dragon Ball Fusions for $22.50: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dragon-Ball-Fusions-Nintendo-3DS/53966161

Harvest Moon Skytree Village for $20: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Harvest-Moon-Skytree-Village-Nintendo-3DS/54519491

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Dear Diary

I went on an accessory shopping spree last night, it was a blast

I couldn't justify the waterfield cases, guys. They're so drat stylish and I can certainly afford them no probs but just because I'm financially comfortable atm doesn't make it a bit of an outrageous purchase at $60(!) when a $12 case will do the trick just fine. I just need somewhere where I can stash my console along with a charger, a cloth, and headphones all together, my 3ds never leaves my apt (do any of you actually carry your console with you?) Those cases sure are pretty though.

So i ordered a much cheaper (but still slightly pricier than average) technoskin case off of amazon along with some Hori screen protectors and a USB cable that'll let me charge the 3DS via my computer.

I wasn't going to stick the top screen protector because lol why, but figured I'd apply it real quick before removing it just to see, as application is easy as pie. Uhh I can't even tell it's there so I guess I'll keep it on to maximize resale value later on. Bottom protector is great too of course.

Now I'm considering a dock. It's literally just a lovely piece of plastic but it sure would look neat on top of my tower, and it'd make charging painess....we shall see. For now, the USB cord is pretty great, gently caress Nintendo's dumb adapter.

Aside from that I might be all set on accessories unless there's some cool stuff I haven't heard about/thought of. Oh I'm also debating doing the PSP stick mod but idk

E: Another reason why I'm thinking stylish cases and bags are a bad idea (in regards to laptops and other devices anyways) is because they might attract unwanted attention when using public transport, though I suppose even a crappy looking (but very functional) Amazon Basics laptop bag can catch the eye of a potential thief

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 27, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons, if you have a burning curiosity to try Codename: S.T.E.A.M. Target has it for all of $6AU.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

KingSlime posted:

Dear Diary

I went on an accessory shopping spree last night, it was a blast

I couldn't justify the waterfield cases, guys. They're so drat stylish and I can certainly afford them no probs but just because I'm financially comfortable atm doesn't make it a bit of an outrageous purchase at $60(!) when a $12 case will do the trick just fine. I just need somewhere where I can stash my console along with a charger, a cloth, and headphones all together, my 3ds never leaves my apt (do any of you actually carry your console with you?) Those cases sure are pretty though.

So i ordered a much cheaper (but still slightly pricier than average) technoskin case off of amazon along with some Hori screen protectors and a USB cable that'll let me charge the 3DS via my computer.

I wasn't going to stick the top screen protector because lol why, but figured I'd apply it real quick before removing it just to see, as application is easy as pie. Uhh I can't even tell it's there so I guess I'll keep it on to maximize resale value later on. Bottom protector is great too of course.

Now I'm considering a dock. It's literally just a lovely piece of plastic but it sure would look neat on top of my tower, and it'd make charging painess....we shall see. For now, the USB cord is pretty great, gently caress Nintendo's dumb adapter.

Aside from that I might be all set on accessories unless there's some cool stuff I haven't heard about/thought of. Oh I'm also debating doing the PSP stick mod but idk

E: Another reason why I'm thinking stylish cases and bags are a bad idea (in regards to laptops and other devices anyways) is because they might attract unwanted attention when using public transport, though I suppose even a crappy looking (but very functional) Amazon Basics laptop bag can catch the eye of a potential thief

Dock charging is boss. I have one for both my WiiU and my wireless mouse. Fusing with cables is for grampas and people with OCD.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you had Pokemon Bank from launch, now is the time to renew.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
3ds: better than the nintendo switch???

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

UltraRed posted:

Dock charging is boss. I have one for both my WiiU and my wireless mouse. Fusing with cables is for grampas and people with OCD.

Yeah I think I'll end up spending 20 bucks on that bit of plastic once I settle into my new apt, drop n charge just sounds too convenient to pass up

I debated the mugen battery because 15 hours of playtime holy ballz but na, that thing is ugly

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

KingSlime posted:

Yeah I think I'll end up spending 20 bucks on that bit of plastic once I settle into my new apt, drop n charge just sounds too convenient to pass up

I debated the mugen battery because 15 hours of playtime holy ballz but na, that thing is ugly

Word of warning, I have the official Nintendo dock charger for the regular New 3DS and it has to set in the thing just so to actually charge. I leave mine in sleep mode with Street pads active and more than once I grabbed it to find the battery dead. It kind of sucks but I still use it because it mostly works.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah, you have to kind of rock it back and forth in the cradle to get it to sit right. I've set it in the cradle without actually charging it several times.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeeeesh that totally sort of defeats the purpose :/

Wonder if the xl dock is similarly finnicky? I did see that you can accidentally lift the whole unit when trying to remove the console, which is kinda lame given that theyre asking 20 buckos for the dock

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Stan Taylor posted:

Word of warning, I have the official Nintendo dock charger for the regular New 3DS and it has to set in the thing just so to actually charge. I leave mine in sleep mode with Street pads active and more than once I grabbed it to find the battery dead. It kind of sucks but I still use it because it mostly works.

You jiggle it until the charging light goes on. Or you learn the sweet spot eventually. I vaguely remember that was kind of an issue with the Old docks?

By contrast, the New XL starts charging in its dock reliably.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah, the docks could be better, but with the N3DS it's just a quick jiggle and you're set.

I have no idea what the N3DSXL dock is like.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

JewKiller 3000 posted:

3ds: better than the nintendo switch???
My bet is that this will be a solid "Yes" until at least mid-to-late 2018. Then it'll become a "Maybe."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the newXL dock is basically flawless. you drop it in and it charges.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I'm looking for something to play in between birthright and conquest campaigns in fire emblem, should I play steamworld heist?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Scylo posted:

I'm looking for something to play in between birthright and conquest campaigns in fire emblem, should I play steamworld heist?

I've been having a ton of fun with that. Each particular level isn't too long but you could binge on it easily.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Oh gently caress yea, Steamworld Heist is great.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

DoctorWhat posted:

the newXL dock is basically flawless. you drop it in and it charges.

What if I open palm slam it into the dock doing all the Waluigi moves and getting told to throw myself in front of a bus by the neighbour, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Healbot posted:

What if I open palm slam it into the dock doing all the Waluigi moves and getting told to throw myself in front of a bus by the neighbour, huh?