Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The noble dungball description has some mean implications. Cultures that use human waste tend to have problems with intestinal parasites because it makes the life cycle a convenient closed loop. Did Sengoku era Japan have terrible liver fluke outbreaks?

As for secondary weapons, use whatever you want because they're all good and build doesn't dictate your choices that badly because base damage tends to be so high. I rotate through spears, dual katanas and kusarigama depending on whatever I feel like using at the moment.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Yeah don't let your build influence what you use to much, everything in game should be used to break the hell out of it. (also it doesn't scale harshly enough to stop you from using other things)

i'm currently a fusion ninjutsu omnyo sort of build with a poo poo ton of spirit.

I was going to do one of the nearly unlimited living weapon builds, but I'm not too into the fact that I'm not super fond of the mid stance of either of my favorite weapons.

In fact once i got two good elements I actually only use one weapon in both slots, and switch it out depending on elemental/ weapon need.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 28, 2017

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Torquemadras posted:

Just got done with both double boss fight missions.

You're much better at this than me. Finally tapped out after the 100th try. :(

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Nioh one wasn't so bad, but A Meeting on the Other Shore is a loving nightmare. I can't imagine doing that on NG+. I didn't even beat the NG version until two areas into NG+ and it was still a struggle.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Harrow posted:

The Nioh one wasn't so bad, but A Meeting on the Other Shore is a loving nightmare. I can't imagine doing that on NG+. I didn't even beat the NG version until two areas into NG+ and it was still a struggle.

That's the one with the two samurais right? I knew if I just took down the smaller one - and I got close a few times - I'd probably kill Honda relatively easily. Alas, it was not to be. I was starting to get really cranky after a couple of days and decided this isn't worth it. Despite all of that I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I hope FROM adopts their camera for future games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I actually did the Meeting on the Other Shore first and found it way easier than the Nioh one, like Lady Noh just kind of trundles around firing stuff from a distance and Oda does rushdown so all you had to do was run to one end, let Nobunaga charge at you, do your sloth/carnage/nerfing stuff and whale on him and when Noh got in your face you just ran to the other end. Took me like 3 tries.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think my Least favorite enemies in the entire game are the floating heads. Its like they are trying to add difficulty by breaking their own poor targeting system.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Policenaut posted:

I actually did the Meeting on the Other Shore first and found it way easier than the Nioh one, like Lady Noh just kind of trundles around firing stuff from a distance and Oda does rushdown so all you had to do was run to one end, let Nobunaga charge at you, do your sloth/carnage/nerfing stuff and whale on him and when Noh got in your face you just ran to the other end. Took me like 3 tries.

I haven't beaten it because I suck, but if you are mindful of projectiles it's easy enough to wait on Nobunaga to rush you down and set himself up for getting carnage hazed into iai and a shitload of strikes before getting mad and setting you up to do it again.

veni veni veni posted:

I think my Least favorite enemies in the entire game are the floating heads. Its like they are trying to add difficulty by breaking their own poor targeting system.

Yeah I instantly turn off the lock and just free cam whack them.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just made it to NG+ and played around for a few hours in it.

It seems like the best thing to do is get your armor set in divine, then start getting it up to +10 right? I'm a spear user, so luckily.... red demon armor everywhere. Just gonna work on getting it to +10, and maybe reroll for bonuses here and there.

NG+ doesn't seem that much harder. Plus I like that you can torii gate everything, so I'm just clearing it like a mofo with summons.

Honestly, just trying to play it enough to finish those 0 blacksmith requests to finish off the platinum. And try not to be too overleveled for DLC.

Is there a good gold farm?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is up with the first mission in zone 4 bring speced for lvl 65 and all of a sudden the second mission is lvl 78?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

veni veni veni posted:

What is up with the first mission in zone 4 bring speced for lvl 65 and all of a sudden the second mission is lvl 78?

Gear upgrades

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ineffiable posted:

Just made it to NG+ and played around for a few hours in it.

It seems like the best thing to do is get your armor set in divine, then start getting it up to +10 right? I'm a spear user, so luckily.... red demon armor everywhere. Just gonna work on getting it to +10, and maybe reroll for bonuses here and there.

NG+ doesn't seem that much harder. Plus I like that you can torii gate everything, so I'm just clearing it like a mofo with summons.

Honestly, just trying to play it enough to finish those 0 blacksmith requests to finish off the platinum. And try not to be too overleveled for DLC.

It wasn't that hard to get the trophy, just a little bit of a pain. First thing you should do is go talk to the blacksmiths, mash X through their dialogue over and over again as you eventually get questions you can answer for free points. I think I got a dozen or so points this way. Put every point you get into increasing the rate of selling values. I then went to the small bridge submission in the 4th area and farmed revenants for divine gear, filled my entire inventory with them (if you trigger the fight or run out of revenants just run off the bridge) and then took these items back to the blacksmith to sell them. You're going to get at least a couple million out of all that, and then what you do is spend it on Books of Reincarnation. When you buy enough of them the price raises to a million a pop. It can cost roughly 20 million IIRC to get the 60 points you need for the requests.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

My theory is, they were incorrect calling them recommended levels for the missions.

That's more a better indicator of how high level equipment you can earn in that mission. Seriously I bet more than half of us were under leveled by more than 30 levels by the final mission if that's supposed to be a recommended level.

So yeah I'm calling it a translation gently caress up.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Policenaut posted:

It wasn't that hard to get the trophy, just a little bit of a pain. First thing you should do is go talk to the blacksmiths, mash X through their dialogue over and over again as you eventually get questions you can answer for free points. I think I got a dozen or so points this way. Put every point you get into increasing the rate of selling values. I then went to the small bridge submission in the 4th area and farmed revenants for divine gear, filled my entire inventory with them (if you trigger the fight or run out of revenants just run off the bridge) and then took these items back to the blacksmith to sell them. You're going to get at least a couple million out of all that, and then what you do is spend it on Books of Reincarnation. When you buy enough of them the price raises to a million a pop. It can cost roughly 20 million IIRC to get the 60 points you need for the requests.

I appreciate it. I'm already at like 45 requests made and haven't farmed or abused it. Just leveling up poo poo and soul matching. I'll probably get it naturally but if I don't, I'll just farm revenants and sell their stuff.

What's really annoying is I think I only have one or two mission left for completing the trophy for all missions. It's got to be a Twilight mission, just waiting for the rotation to give me something I'm missing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ineffiable posted:

My theory is, they were incorrect calling them recommended levels for the missions.

That's more a better indicator of how high level equipment you can earn in that mission. Seriously I bet more than half of us were under leveled by more than 30 levels by the final mission if that's supposed to be a recommended level.

So yeah I'm calling it a translation gently caress up.

I was in the last missions going "hooo boy what a loving nightmare this is" then I found a heart A+ katana and a full set of justice ministry 30 levels higher than me on some revs and proceeded to haul rear end. The purple katana is better than the divines I've picked up :/

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Edit: concerning floating heads

Their bump-you-as-you-try-to-hit-them attack is the worst. I often shuriken or shoot them if I don't feel like dealing with their bullshit.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 28, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Policenaut posted:

I dunno, I found the Tachibana/Honda one a lot easier, but that's just because Honda's basically a non-factor if you just listen to the audio cues on his rock-throws and deal with Tachibana first. I kept getting owned by Yuki-Onna's ice projectiles in Meeting on the Other Shore over and over again. I was probably getting too aggressive, really, but I kept getting discorded and owned.

Boosh! posted:

That's the one with the two samurais right? I knew if I just took down the smaller one - and I got close a few times - I'd probably kill Honda relatively easily. Alas, it was not to be. I was starting to get really cranky after a couple of days and decided this isn't worth it. Despite all of that I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I hope FROM adopts their camera for future games.

Yeah, if you can get Tachibana down, Honda's a pushover, but the hard part is taking out Tachibana while trying not to get speared.

Ineffiable posted:

The Request from Ginchiyo mission is really easy to run over and over for like 120k each time, especially once you get the path down and it's easy to run past all the enemies along the way. That said, it's even easier to just fight a shitload of revenants, disassemble their gear (unless it has a good transferable skill), and sell the mats you get. Even Divine Shards are worth selling--you only need to keep enough on hand to do any reforging you might want to do, but really I was selling the majority of them for great money.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Well I'm partially color blind and cannot tell the difference between divine's green and uncommon yellow. Guess I have to just check item levels.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

The Request from Ginchiyo mission is really easy to run over and over for like 120k each time, especially once you get the path down and it's easy to run past all the enemies along the way. That said, it's even easier to just fight a shitload of revenants, disassemble their gear (unless it has a good transferable skill), and sell the mats you get. Even Divine Shards are worth selling--you only need to keep enough on hand to do any reforging you might want to do, but really I was selling the majority of them for great money.

Is it worth more to sell divine shards or just sell the divine gear?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

Their bump-you-as-you-try-to-hit-them attack is the worst. I often shuriken or shoot them if I don't feel like dealing with their bullshit.

Yeah. That move is annoying. The thing that get's me is when there are like multiple mages and Ninjas and then the mages spawn the heads and the lock on system just shits the bed with all of these guys running around and floating heads coming at me. For all of the poo poo they borrowed from Dark Souls the lock on feels really inferior. I don't know why it doesn't doesn't swap to the next enemy after killing one, and which enemy it wants to target is all over the place. It's fine with 2 or maybe 3 enemies but beyond that, blech.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You change change autoswap in the prefences. Just like in dark souls.

I haven't tried it though, since I always manually lock on to new targets.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well poo poo. I had no idea. There are so many options I must have glazed over it. That's cool though.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. That move is annoying. The thing that get's me is when there are like multiple mages and Ninjas and then the mages spawn the heads and the lock on system just shits the bed with all of these guys running around and floating heads coming at me. For all of the poo poo they borrowed from Dark Souls the lock on feels really inferior. I don't know why it doesn't doesn't swap to the next enemy after killing one, and which enemy it wants to target is all over the place. It's fine with 2 or maybe 3 enemies but beyond that, blech.
I've found it's easier to take a page out of Dark Souls and just skip the lock-on altogether sometimes and stick with mid stance, maybe low because their sweeps can hit pretty easily without it. One good dashing attack is usually enough to kill the heads and let you get back to dealing with the larger problems.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The autoswap's worked pretty well for me, but it's totally a UX thing. When things are chaotic enough to gently caress with target lock, it's probably a good time for me to pop LW and reassess.

Been playing this quite a lot since release, and it's clicking in a way that Bloodborne didn't for me. I think some games should have weird atmosphere like BB, but I would've enjoyed it a lot more with a smoother framerate, quicker load times, and a slightly easier intro. Nioh isn't easy at the start, but the intro mission and boss are manageable. After Onryoki, I didn't have a major problem with a boss or level until the epilogue (gently caress you clones), but even then I only died a couple times before figuring it out. The post-epilogue and NG+ modes will likely change that, but that's expected.

I was skeptical about the game leading up to release. The mission structure felt like a cop-out in 2017, but in reality it's excellent to have a clear endpoint on top of the technical benefits. The game has some solid system design, and things like Refashion show the devs know their audience. The story's alright with me partly because I'm familiar with the historical context, but also because it's cool to see a game that doesn't entirely (the protagonist is still a white dude) put American or Western experiences first for once.

Looking forward to the DLC.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Harrow posted:

I'm the other way. I still haven't beaten the Nioh fight but Meeting on the Other Shore took me like five tries. I basically slowed Nobunaga, buffed myself with fire, debuffed Ice Wife, and then just destroyed her while hubby slowly ran after me. Then it was just a duel.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Axes are clicking for me in a way that no other weapon has - even in full heavy armor with 90+ equip load I'm steamrolling through the beginning of the game. Had one unlucky death against the yokai in the sealed house on the beach in the first mission, but Onryoki was the easiest he's ever been, and that's not just the experience of having fought him a dozen times on my first playthrough, I just fought him with my kusarigama guy and got trashed on my first attempt. I think axes just lend themselves a lot better to the rhythm of attack and retreat than other weapon types, where one blow deals so much damage that you feel more comfortable leaving it at that and waiting for other openings. Not sure if its skills are terribly interesting, though. I might just work through the game with axe guy and ninja guy concurrently.

zelah posted:

Well I'm partially color blind and cannot tell the difference between divine's green and uncommon yellow. Guess I have to just check item levels.

I have the same problem, also can't tell blues from purples except one looks darker and one looks lighter so I use those as indicators instead of the color.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Policenaut posted:

I pretty much did that one the same way. The fight actually reminded me of Ornstein & Smough from Dark Souls in a very good way: neither of your opponents is gonna do you the favour of waiting their turn, so a major part of the battle is separating the faster one from the other, then take down one of them while watching the others rush attacks/projectiles. I didn't land the slow as much as I liked, so what I did was to bait Nobunaga into his common pattern: rush => rush => stab => second stab. Either that, or one of his harmless combos where you can just dodge to his back. If Ice Lady was still far off and didn't charge up any projectiles, this was the perfect opportunity to land some high-stance kusarigama combos; if Nobunaga is too far away, I usually pull out that sweet high stance kusarigama roll, that move is fuckin DEVASTATING to non-blocking targets. Then, back off and repeat. Nobunaga was definitely more harmless in both his first and second phase, compared to Ice Lady's shiv move in her second phase, so I always went for the dude first. Since the arena is much bigger compared to the actual story fight against Nobunaga, I also feel like he is MUCH, much easier to avoid/bait into turning his back to you...

Oh, and naturally, I started the duel by shooting Nobunaga in the head + stabbing him on the ground. For honour.

The Two Kings was much harder for me, but I got tantalizingly close most of the times. The nastiest thing wasn't even the spear dude; he's slow as poo poo, his rocks never hit me, and he turns slower than a glacier. What killed me roughly 90% of the time was getting stunlocked by Tachibane's combos, running out of stamina, and then getting grappled by Tachibane. It tends to happen a lot if you don't retreat in time (naturally, getting hit by rocks doesn't help). That guy's stamina regen is monstrous. Half the time I opened him up for a grapple with a kunai, I plain and simply couldn't get to him fast enough before he had already recovered, that stuff was ridiculous. I had to rely on hit-and-run rather than combos for this guy a lot more than Nobunaga, so the fight took longer; also, most kusarigama moves have a longer startup window compared to the dual swords for example, so they don't lend themselves as well to hit-and-run. In the end, I took down Tachibane by baiting him away, debuffing him if lucky, then jumping in with occasional high stance single hits, lucky grapples or even luckier dual sword mid stance combos. For spear dude, I then simply took out the kusarigama and shredded the poor guy whenever he was dumb enough to keep attacking continously in a direction that wasn't me.

Bosses are fun

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

JBP posted:

As in it applies it to your weapon? Whenever I hit an enemy with the peacock it does 80 damage and doesn't apply the element.

I popped it on the last boss, dusted his stamina, and applied Discord when I activated my spirit again. Dunno why its not working for you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

As in it applies it to your weapon? Whenever I hit an enemy with the peacock it does 80 damage and doesn't apply the element.

You are using Living Weapon and not guardian/moment talismans, right?

It's a living weapon effect, not buff application.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Snak posted:

You are using Living Weapon and not guardian/moment talismans, right?

It's a living weapon effect, not buff application.

I'm not getting it. Does using a guardian talisman change the living weapon element? Is the system meant to be something like pop living weapon and get earth up, then use moment/guardian to peacock out and change to something else and get easy discord?

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Snak posted:

I usually grapple (triangle) them on heavy kusarigama stance and they go down in one hit each.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is it worth more to sell divine shards or just sell the divine gear?

Good question--I actually never tested! I'd just been breaking them down without checking and then selling the shards when I had more than like 30 on hand. It's possible just selling the gear would be better.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
When living weapom is active, if you hit triangle and circle again, your guardian spirit does the same attack as if you used a guardian/moment talisman. With the peacock, this causes the element of your living weapon to cycle. While it's active.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

veni veni veni posted:

Automatic target switching can be turned on in the options

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I think what is being asked regarding Tengen Kujaku is what exactly its guardian spirit summon does, because I was wondering the same thing. I would love to use Kujaku for a discord build, but lately I've been using Mizuchi and his summon is quite good at applying the water debuff. Kujaku's doesn't do much of anything I can tell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I couldn't really tell what the deal with Tengen Kujaku's summon attack was, either. I thought it was cool that its Living Weapon mode cycles through elements and that it has a bonus that makes elemental buffs on your weapons last longer, but other than that it doesn't seem super great. I guess it'd let me un-ready my Divination Talismans, too?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The default controls work well when lock-on is behaving, but for the times it's not (really big bosses you don't want to lock on to) I really wish there was a souls type scheme with Dash on L3 and Dodge/Stance on L1/2.

The fact games still don't let you customize controls is a travesty.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Snak posted:

When living weapom is active, if you hit triangle and circle again, your guardian spirit does the same attack as if you used a guardian/moment talisman. With the peacock, this causes the element of your living weapon to cycle. While it's active.

What the gently caress!?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

JBP posted:

What the gently caress!?

Tutorials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Belzac posted:

Tutorials.

Yeah. I went back and spent ages in the dojo learning parries and working out some combos and stuff which was massively valuable. I went through the last three human bosses with no worries thanks to training with my mate Yagyu.

Guess I should have done the living weapon tutorial because I seldom use it when it's available unless I have gone gently caress this dude and get mad.