Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right, but then the actual problem: the film's literal message is that you should raise your child as as if she were a corporation. And vice-versa. It's corporate personhood taken to an extreme.

So Boss Baby is the sequel, got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Right, but then the actual problem: the film's literal message is that you should raise your child as as if she were a corporation. And vice-versa. It's corporate personhood taken to an extreme.

This is certainly how you've chosen to interpret it, but in the real world a lot of people have used it as an object lesson in how repressing sadness and trying to just be happy all the time is deeply unhealthy, and that sadness is a primary driver of empathy. sure, every Disney movie is pro-corporate propaganda, from a certain angle, but it's also possible to just try to take a positive message unrelated to raising children like corporations.

I mean, how is "sadness is an important emotion, and stifling it has been bad for society" a bad message? for most people that even bother thinking about Inside Out on more than a surface level, that's the big takeaway, and I think that's positive. :colbert:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
https://youtu.be/1JG6f5_37tg

Clip of the song "Gaston" from Beast '17

It's.... not very rousing.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Spatula City posted:

This is certainly how you've chosen to interpret it, but in the real world a lot of people have used it as an object lesson in how repressing sadness and trying to just be happy all the time is deeply unhealthy, and that sadness is a primary driver of empathy.

That's not a contradiction; you're just simplifying what I wrote in an attempt to depoliticize it. The question is how you define 'healthy' - and the film uses the health of the father's tech startup as an example. Riley's maturity is conceived of in terms of growth, profitability, upsizing, etc.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 28, 2017

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

So Boss Baby is the sequel, got it

Boss Baby looks like a pile of trash. Ugly trash. Babies should not have incredibly punchable faces but Boss Baby does.

It's worse that, when I was watching Rock Dog, there were adults in the audience proclaiming how Boss Baby looked good and some kid screaming "Mom!! Look! It's Boss Baby!!!" when the trailer came on.

The Ninjago movie trailer got no laughs at all...in fact Boss Baby was the only trailer to get any laughs.

Unfortunately, it might turn out to be like Trolls and look like absolute poo poo but actually be a decent movie. I mean, I don't want that to happen, but I could see it anyway.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Pixar: "What if we made a movie where a person's emotions were anthropomorphised characters in their head?"

some viewers: "It doesn't work like that! bleuuurgh!"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hedrigall posted:

I like some of the ideas that went into this -- LaFou having to poke and prompt the other singers into their lines, and Gaston coming off a little more like a dandy than a brute is something you could make work even if it's a bit of a departure -- but yeah, as a whole, it's not doing much for me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I... I do not think I live in a world where Boss Baby could be good.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like some of the ideas that went into this -- LaFou having to poke and prompt the other singers into their lines, and Gaston coming off a little more like a dandy than a brute is something you could make work even if it's a bit of a departure -- but yeah, as a whole, it's not doing much for me.

Okay guys, we have this chance to make a honest-to-god LIVE-ACTION CARTOON! We have the resources, and the source material, and the technology, so let's bring this vibrant, energetic and musical world to life!

*Josh Gad struggles to climb onto a bar*

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

After seeing Inside Out I thought it'd be cool and good if Pixar made a movie called something like "Corporate Personhood" where the protagonists are personifications of (fictional) corporations. It'd be like Inside Out but in reverse. Probably would get a lot of people made because boo corporations hiss but as a fan of the concept of capitalism and a person who enjoys romanticizing corporations (like Disney, for example) I would enjoy it a lot if it were good

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

21 Muns posted:

After seeing Inside Out I thought it'd be cool and good if Pixar made a movie called something like "Corporate Personhood" where the protagonists are personifications of (fictional) corporations. It'd be like Inside Out but in reverse. Probably would get a lot of people made because boo corporations hiss but as a fan of the concept of capitalism and a person who enjoys romanticizing corporations (like Disney, for example) I would enjoy it a lot if it were good

Pixar's Barbarians at the Gate.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

K. Waste posted:

a kiddie version of eXistenZ

god if only

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Please go see The Red Turtle.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Ernest & Celestine ... mediocre at best.

What in tarnation? Get outta here.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

starkebn posted:

Pixar: "What if we made a movie where a person's emotions were anthropomorphised characters in their head?"

some viewers: "It doesn't work like that! bleuuurgh!"

The problem is that - no matter how many times one can stress that they actually do like and appreciate a film - to certain individuals all critical reading will be treated as repulsion or malice towards 'the intended audience,' which forces them to dance around the actual content of the film and form of its presentation, and willfully misrepresent it.

The aspect of Inside Out being appraised is not that, "That's not how emotions work." What has been very straightforwardly addressed is the writing and production design of the film. It is not a coincidence that emotions are not reductively anthropomorphised, but more specifically presented as managers of one individual's consciousness. It is not a coincidence that Sadness is left with the thankless job of consulting technical minutia, which she uses to save and warn Joy numerous times as they interact with an environment which is conceived of explicitly as vast corridors of virtual files. It is not a coincidence that, besides these emotions, there are 'lower level' actors in this environment who literally wear hard hats and drive golf carts. It is not a coincidence that the different aspects of the girl's personality are conceived of as theme parks and generators.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm the Boss Baby, gotta love me!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Skreh

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

bosses and babies are like onions

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The brilliance of Joy as a character is that she is both simultaneously mother and child. She is literally an aspect of Riley and also Riley's caretaker. Like The Giver, Inside Out is a fable on the necessity of pain to children who are often very averse to suffering or unfairness. But it also does the harder thing of teaching parents that if you're to accept that lesson for yourself that means letting your child suffer.

I think the idea of it being pro-corporate breaks down when you remember that the aesthetic isn't just reminiscent of a 50s corporate aesthetic, but also reminiscent of the Goofy shorts that constantly show Goofy trying to be what a modern man is supposed to be and failing.

Joy essentially does run Riley's emotions like a corporation trying to maximize profit (Happiness). But the end of the film is about accepting the less pleasant and less marketable Sadness. Treating yourself like a brand and trying to maximize what you're supposed to be is flawed. And that's what the film speaks against.

Like Ratatouille, I think you can also read into some metaphor about Pixar itself. Pixar exists as a part of Disney whose whole ethos is "Your dreams come true." But Pixar has literally made multiple movies about how that's not true (The Incredibles, Toy Story, Ratatouille, Monsters University). Pixar is literally part of the most saccharine corporation in the world, and they choose to make children cry. I think there is a read on Inside Out as being a meditation on why making children cry is necessary.

Hedrigall posted:

That's how the original song plays out in the original. It takes a bit before Gaston gets into it which is the rousing part.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Timeless Appeal posted:

The brilliance of Joy as a character is that she is both simultaneously mother and child. She is literally an aspect of Riley and also Riley's caretaker. Like The Giver, Inside Out is a fable on the necessity of pain to children who are often very averse to suffering or unfairness. But it also does the harder thing of teaching parents that if you're to accept that lesson for yourself that means letting your child suffer.

I think the idea of it being pro-corporate breaks down when you remember that the aesthetic isn't just reminiscent of a 50s corporate aesthetic, but also reminiscent of the Goofy shorts that constantly show Goofy trying to be what a modern man is supposed to be and failing.

Joy essentially does run Riley's emotions like a corporation trying to maximize profit (Happiness). But the end of the film is about accepting the less pleasant and less marketable Sadness. Treating yourself like a brand and trying to maximize what you're supposed to be is flawed. And that's what the film speaks against.

Like Ratatouille, I think you can also read into some metaphor about Pixar itself. Pixar exists as a part of Disney whose whole ethos is "Your dreams come true." But Pixar has literally made multiple movies about how that's not true (The Incredibles, Toy Story, Ratatouille, Monsters University). Pixar is literally part of the most saccharine corporation in the world, and they choose to make children cry. I think there is a read on Inside Out as being a meditation on why making children cry is necessary.

With the aside about Goofy, it behooves me to cite Father's Week-End: http://www.b99.tv/video/fathers-week-end/

Quite the contrary, this is not a short about how Goofy tries and fails to live up to the identity of the modern man. Rather, the short clarifies that the joke - as in Father's Day Off and Fathers Are People - is that modern man's sufferings are interpreted as ironic vindication of his sacred, patriarchal role.

With that in mind, let's un-package your accurate assertion that Pixar's films are quasi-autobiographical, and its relation to your less stable reading that the films speak against a 'maximalist,' corporate ideology. As with Hedrigall's assumption that Inside Out is about helping children deal with their emotions (as opposed to unemotional children's films?), that 'sadness isn't marketable' is not an observable trend in Disney's works. Disney films are not only replete with tragic and traumatic scenarios, but highly dependent upon them as informing the generic fulfillment of their characters' aspirational fantasies. This is a quality that Pixar shares with and draws upon from Disney's legacy; working towards the parallel ends of sublime, optimistic conclusions that, while they may go against certain expectations of the protagonist, are never disruptions of the 'just world.'

To write accurately about Inside Out, we have to contend with the fact that it presents a symbolic order that is at once explicitly inspired by corporate, managerial trappings, but in which there is explicitly no "profit" in conventional terms. Inspired by the capitalist culture into which they are conceived, they still fundamentally present capitalism without money. "Capital" is represented instead purely by the stable and continued functioning of the symbolic order.

So Joy's position as a manager is not 'to maximize profit.' Her position is to 'keep the peace,' which she interprets as necessarily requiring her to take a dictatorial role, marginalizing Sadness and the other emotions, and unilaterally determining the progress of the corporation-as-person. Further, the lesson that she learns is not that she needs to 'take the loss' by including Sadness in order to enhance quality of life. Rather, she learns that sharing managerial duties - the synergy of different managerial philosophies - is an inevitable and necessary part of ensuring that the corporation-as-person not only survives, but continues to grow. She learns that she was actually inhibiting maximalization of what Riley could be.

The essential deviation in our readings comes from what I feel is your erroneous perception that conventional, generic animated features avoid the depiction of suffering/sorrow/etc. in order to maximize profit; whereas I just think that most films are mediocre, but necessarily market these qualities just as deliberately and efficiently as they market the sublime ending. Pixar does not choose to make children cry any more or less than Disney does. The irony is that Pixar (now Disney Pixar) is valued for being more Disney than Disney.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 28, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Corporate Skreh swamps his employees.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
M'Onion Shrekli

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

21 Muns posted:

Foodfight! is exactly the movie you deserve.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
In this day and age Foodfight is the only movie most of us deserve sadly

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

With the aside about Goofy, it behooves me to cite Father's Week-End: http://www.b99.tv/video/fathers-week-end/

Quite the contrary, this is not a short about how Goofy tries and fails to live up to the identity of the modern man. Rather, the short clarifies that the joke - as in Father's Day Off and Fathers Are People - is that modern man's sufferings are interpreted as ironic vindication of his sacred, patriarchal role.

With that in mind, let's un-package your accurate assertion that Pixar's films are quasi-autobiographical, and its relation to your less stable reading that the films speak against a 'maximalist,' corporate ideology. As with Hedrigall's assumption that Inside Out is about helping children deal with their emotions (as opposed to unemotional children's films?), that 'sadness isn't marketable' is not an observable trend in Disney's works. Disney films are not only replete with tragic and traumatic scenarios, but highly dependent upon them as informing the generic fulfillment of their characters' aspirational fantasies. This is a quality that Pixar shares with and draws upon from Disney's legacy; working towards the parallel ends of sublime, optimistic conclusions that, while they may go against certain expectations of the protagonist, are never disruptions of the 'just world.'

To write accurately about Inside Out, we have to contend with the fact that it presents a symbolic order that is at once explicitly inspired by corporate, managerial trappings, but in which there is explicitly no "profit" in conventional terms. Inspired by the capitalist culture into which they are conceived, they still fundamentally present capitalism without money. "Capital" is represented instead purely by the stable and continued functioning of the symbolic order.

So Joy's position as a manager is not 'to maximize profit.' Her position is to 'keep the peace,' which she interprets as necessarily requiring her to take a dictatorial role, marginalizing Sadness and the other emotions, and unilaterally determining the progress of the corporation-as-person. Further, the lesson that she learns is not that she needs to 'take the loss' by including Sadness in order to enhance quality of life. Rather, she learns that sharing managerial duties - the synergy of different managerial philosophies - is an inevitable and necessary part of ensuring that the corporation-as-person not only survives, but continues to grow. She learns that she was actually inhibiting maximalization of what Riley could be.

The essential deviation in our readings comes from what I feel is your erroneous perception that conventional, generic animated features avoid the depiction of suffering/sorrow/etc. in order to maximize profit; whereas I just think that most films are mediocre, but necessarily market these qualities just as deliberately and efficiently as they market the sublime ending. Pixar does not choose to make children cry any more or less than Disney does. The irony is that Pixar (now Disney Pixar) is valued for being more Disney than Disney.

im gonna cum dude keep going

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm still watching Atlantis, I keep having to do other things so I only get through 20 minutes at a time.

A lot of the plot contrivances are annoying me (like how they magically speak every modern language despite being isolated for thousands of years, because something something root words?) but overall it's still a fun adventure!

This would make a reeeeeally good Uncharted-style game.

Oh, and wasn't there some controversy back in the day about this movie ripping off some anime, Kimba-style? I remember reading about it on the internet 1.0 soon after I saw this movie in the cinema.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nausicaa, yeah. The similarities are only skin-deep, though. The plots are quite different.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Not Nausicaa, it was Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, one of Gainax's earlier works.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hedrigall posted:

I'm still watching Atlantis, I keep having to do other things so I only get through 20 minutes at a time.

A lot of the plot contrivances are annoying me (like how they magically speak every modern language despite being isolated for thousands of years, because something something root words?) but overall it's still a fun adventure!

This would make a reeeeeally good Uncharted-style game.

Oh, and wasn't there some controversy back in the day about this movie ripping off some anime, Kimba-style? I remember reading about it on the internet 1.0 soon after I saw this movie in the cinema.

A thing I keep saying when it's brought up, so much is crammed into the movie with it's huge cast that it could've been serviced better by making it a mini-series, but that's not something studios did at the time.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
The only part of Storks that is any good are the parts with the wolves.

Everything else was sappy pro-heteronormative propaganda.

Except some of the good meta gags.

Mostly garbage though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Robindaybird posted:

A thing I keep saying when it's brought up, so much is crammed into the movie with it's huge cast that it could've been serviced better by making it a mini-series, but that's not something studios did at the time.

Totally agree, the supporting cast is fantastic.

Oh man, the villain's death is one of the creepier ones in the Disney playbook

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

LeJackal posted:

pro-heteronormative propaganda.

Is this a joke post

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The real joke is the complete lack of LGBTQI representation in modern animated films :colbert:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Macaluso posted:

Is this a joke post

Hedrigall posted:

The real joke is the complete lack of LGBTQI representation in modern animated films :colbert:

Didn't Storks actually go out of its way to not be totally straight (despite the premise) by having one of the couples receiving babies be same-sex?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mycot posted:

Didn't Storks actually go out of its way to not be totally straight (despite the premise) by having one of the couples receiving babies be same-sex?

A few different same sex couples (both two men and two women), a single mom, and several mixed race couples

Like yeah the main child story was a mom and a dad but that doesn't make it "pro-heteronormative propaganda" :psyduck: I mean hell the entire message of the movie is that a family can be anything. In fact I think they literally say those exact words??

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

mycot posted:

Yeah true, I'm just joshin' y'all

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

im gonna cum dude keep going

To reach climax, you merely need to ask yourself: Where is the "crying time" in Cars 2? A Bug's Life? WALL-E? The Incredibles?

What we've inadvertently come to in critically un-packaging Inside Out - because it is such a transparently honest film about storytelling and management philosophy - is that there is an entire meme about the perceived nuance and emotional depth of Pixar movies which is not supported by a consistent historical reading of the texts. Pixar does not 'want to make children cry' in order to enhance their quality of life. Pixar (or the abstract managers who are hired to coordinate the creative teams under them) are merely very adept at making conventional family cinema, and the extent to which they explore tragic themes and scenarios is motivated by the particular stories they want to tell.

And to that end, none of them resolve themselves in a manner that could even be described remotely as, like, melancholy. There is always the sublime realization of a just world which is largely indistinguishable from the already naive one in which the characters began.

Anecdotal British films such as Watership Down and Animal Farm illustrate succinctly the confrontation with trauma, mortality, and, most importantly, lack of materialist fulfillment which the Pixar meme selectively ignores. This isn't even a case of 'subversive vs. reactionary' films - both of those films are actually rather arch-reactionary. But at the same time, they are far more overt examples of precisely the kinds of stories (and aesthetics) that 'can't be made' in the contemporary climate which Disney-Pixar dominates, and which their major competitors won't even touch. The point of all Disney-Pixar movies - not just Inside Out - is that "sadness is good." But this is just a generic platitude, and part of an ideological fantasy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah true, I'm just joshin' y'all

None of them included a cat as one of the parents, so I can understand your frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

To reach climax, you merely need to ask yourself: Where is the "crying time" in Cars 2? A Bug's Life? WALL-E? The Incredibles?

What we've inadvertently come to in critically un-packaging Inside Out - because it is such a transparently honest film about storytelling and management philosophy - is that there is an entire meme about the perceived nuance and emotional depth of Pixar movies which is not supported by a consistent historical reading of the texts. Pixar does not 'want to make children cry' in order to enhance their quality of life. Pixar (or the abstract managers who are hired to coordinate the creative teams under them) are merely very adept at making conventional family cinema, and the extent to which they explore tragic themes and scenarios is motivated by the particular stories they want to tell.

And to that end, none of them resolve themselves in a manner that could even be described remotely as, like, melancholy. There is always the sublime realization of a just world which is largely indistinguishable from the already naive one in which the characters began.

Anecdotal British films such as Watership Down and Animal Farm illustrate succinctly the confrontation with trauma, mortality, and, most importantly, lack of materialist fulfillment which the Pixar meme selectively ignores. This isn't even a case of 'subversive vs. reactionary' films - both of those films are actually rather arch-reactionary. But at the same time, they are far more overt examples of precisely the kinds of stories (and aesthetics) that 'can't be made' in the contemporary climate which Disney-Pixar dominates, and which their major competitors won't even touch. The point of all Disney-Pixar movies - not just Inside Out - is that "sadness is good." But this is just a generic platitude, and part of an ideological fantasy.

It's necessarily a soothing form of storytelling, like having an emotional epiphany in a windowless Target.