Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

and even voice-acted

And this is why full VA in CRPGs is a terrible idea. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Halloween Jack posted:

So here's the thing: every possible branch in a video game has to be scripted and even voice-acted and poo poo. Video games also have a set of expectations among the player base where the player sees every eventuality as their fault--if you take a course of action that results in bad things happening anywhere, the reaction is to get mad, then replay the game so that All of the Good Things happen and None of the Bad Things happen.

It seems prescient that I've been watching an LP of "The Walking Dead" recently :v:
Telltale apparently tries pretty hard to make it so each decision point will get picked about 50/50, which makes sense if you think about it as "well only 10% of the people went with Option B; I guess putting together all those assets for Option B was a loving waste."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

And this is why full VA in CRPGs is a terrible idea. :v:

actually, full VA is always good

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Alaois posted:

~parfume de zigitaris~

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alaois posted:

the human voice is shrill and painful to my sensitive rodent ears

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alaois posted:

On JRPGs, as long as it's Japanese Audio.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Plutonis posted:

On JRPGs, as long as it's Japanese Audio.

n-nane!?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alaois posted:

This is why I got Ironicus to make a Breakfast Cult audio book :v:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
If y'all want a voice actor I know a guy. We used him in a game I used to work on and he is very cool and good. It's a weird story about how we had a voice actor do something professionally and his work was pish so we turned around and in two days had this guy I knew come in and turn out some great stuff super fast. Would recommend.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How are these? Seems like it'd be something interesting to read about.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Designers & Dragons is the actual only good D&D.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They're well researched from what I understand, haven't had time to read them myself.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Ettin posted:

This is why I got Ironicus to make a Breakfast Cult audio book :v:
He offered to do an audiobook of Kagegami High for the same price he charged for BC, and I don't know if I can justify subjecting him to that, but it would be amazing to have someone spend an hour and a half reading a table of 216 morning announcements.

Also Kagegami High is out in PDF and I am very tired. It's anime schoolgirl Welcome to Night Vale by way of a Maid RPG variant with lots and lots of tables.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ewen Cluney posted:

He offered to do an audiobook of Kagegami High for the same price he charged for BC, and I don't know if I can justify subjecting him to that, but it would be amazing to have someone spend an hour and a half reading a table of 216 morning announcements.

Also Kagegami High is out in PDF and I am very tired. It's anime schoolgirl Welcome to Night Vale by way of a Maid RPG variant with lots and lots of tables.

Do it! I would love to hear him do the morning announcements. Although as a game aid I would prefer each one as a separate file.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Drone posted:

How are these? Seems like it'd be something interesting to read about.

I picked them up cheap in a similar bundle a while ago, thinking that. I found them very boring and stopped part way through the first one. But they are certainly well-researched and in-depth. They are good for what they are and if you have a strong interest in the history of the RPG industry, you will like them. Just don't go in expecting them to make RPG publishing interesting in the same way that, for instance, Jon Krakauer makes mountain climbing interesting even to someone who otherwise doesn't care about mountain climbing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Powers & Perils is the only good RPG.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Goons, please help. I am looking for the rpg.net (or was it here?) threads that aggressively deconstructed 3rd edition, and I can't find them because they've been quoted around so much.

(1) The long breakdown of why 3.x saving throw math gets so crazy, so fast,
(2) The source of the "aggresively hegemonizing ursine swarm" quote.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Was it this one? It seems to be the source of the "ursine" thing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

YES! Thank you! Bookmarked so I don't lose it again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The key to the whole "ursine swarm" thing is that the druid player in this situation isn't even a min-maxer, just a guy who takes all bear-related options because being the Bear Priest is awesome.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

YES! Thank you! Bookmarked so I don't lose it again.

Welcome! I only found it because someone in one RPGNet thread that quoted the bears thing linked to the original thread a few posts down.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Halloween Jack posted:

The key to the whole "ursine swarm" thing is that the druid player in this situation isn't even a min-maxer, just a guy who takes all bear-related options because being the Bear Priest is awesome.
I'll bet that playing such a character would just be unbearable. I assume he met a grizzly end at some point, but until then the other PCs just had to grin and bear it.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Kwyndig posted:

Do it! I would love to hear him do the morning announcements. Although as a game aid I would prefer each one as a separate file.

The big risk there is that I accidentally upload the file to the wrong place and people who listen to one of my podcasts get very confused.

The Sex Archie folks are probably used to confusion, though.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Yawgmoth posted:

I'll bet that playing such a character would just be unbearable. I assume he met a grizzly end at some point, but until then the other PCs just had to grin and bear it.

The most annoying thing about him is that he kept calling everyone "honey."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The D&D version of Chicken Boo is always amusing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ewen Cluney posted:

Double posting to say this book is delightful and I will be running a game of it on the forums soon.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm going to point out, since Cluney didn't, that The World of Millennium Blades art book also just came out to backers. I mention this because it includes Duel Questers, a short RPG written by Cluney set in the Millennium Blades universe. (You still need a copy of Millennium Blades itself to play it, of course.)

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Peeps are talking about the Microscope game, any games that do a similar thing but more specifically cover the march of time? I kinda think I'm thinking of A Quiet Year, but might be wrong.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm going to point out, since Cluney didn't, that The World of Millennium Blades art book also just came out to backers. I mention this because it includes Duel Questers, a short RPG written by Cluney set in the Millennium Blades universe. (You still need a copy of Millennium Blades itself to play it, of course.)
Oh hey, I did not know that that had come out. MB has the most amazingly bonkers setting (every TCG anime at once, held together with time travel and aliens), and it was really fun to play around with it and even put my own stamp on it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone sell me on the Battletech bundle in Bundle of Holding?

My main exposure to the Battletech universe has been the MechCommander games, which I loved, and as I understand it's something like a bunch of feudal houses with lots of intrigue and backstabbing except the Battle of Hastings is carried out by massive walking tanks, and also the "Clan" is basically a Mongol Horde loving everyone's poo poo up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Clans loving wish they were the Mongol Horde

they're more like fat Mongol Horde cosplayers who are also furries, and were grown in a vat

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Also, mechanically speaking is it one of those games where you need hexgrids and miniatures and foam terrain and you have to track heatsinks and line-of-sight and poo poo? Because that's probably not my thing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also, mechanically speaking is it one of those games where you need hexgrids and miniatures and foam terrain and you have to track heatsinks and line-of-sight and poo poo? Because that's probably not my thing.

It is all of those things you just said.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

It is all of those things you just said.

drat, really? I thought it was like this d6-driven system. Oh well.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Battletech is wonderful and magnificent and is unfortunately crunchy as gently caress with a lot of terrifically unmodern game design. But I love it. Both the setting AND the rules are straight out of the '80s. Yeah, you have to track literally all of the things you mentioned, along with locational damage (for vanilla tabletop Battletech anyway, no idea about the older RPGs).

The core of Battletech (and the most recent version of the RPG, called A Time of War -- not sure about the older Mechwarrior versions) is a "simple" 2d6 mechanic versus a TN (with modifiers applied either to the roll result or to the TN depending on which game you're playing). So in that respect, it is "simple". However, the sheer amount of modifiers and rules makes it seem stupidly daunting.

A Time of War encourages GM's to only use those rules that they really feel like using (since the system as a whole encompasses rules for literally loving everything), but at that point you'd probably be just fine running a game in the Battletech setting using FATE or something and would probably have an easier time of it. Unless you're a true Battletech grog who loves ridiculous levels of simulationist crunch.

The Bundle of Holding is just some older versions of the RPG part of the game (not the tabletop Battletech game itself), and a bunch of setting sourcebooks and fluff.

If you're at all interested in the setting, read PoptartsNinja's LP, or play the upcoming PC game from HBS (the Shadowrun people).

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 1, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

Well wait, are you talking about Battletech which is the tabletop minis game or Mechwarrior which is the tabletop RPG? Because the minis game is everything you said, but idk about Mechwarrior as I've never actually played it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Compared to the minis game Mechwarrior is simple, but I've never actually run a pure game of it. We always broke out the Battletech any time combat happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Well wait, are you talking about Battletech which is the tabletop minis game or Mechwarrior which is the tabletop RPG? Because the minis game is everything you said, but idk about Mechwarrior as I've never actually played it.

I'm talking about whatever this is: https://bundleofholding.com/presents/BattleTechClassic

• Locked thread