Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

LordMune posted:

It's accurate. 80 times though? You need to step up your game (or wait until 1.5 where the chance of it triggering has been jacked up to a staggering 1% of the time).

I must have been super lucky that first game then! I'm queuing them up to fly between two black holes so I guess it's actually 160, I must hate myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
to start doing what I do in the CK2 thread, the event ID for the Horizon signal is "event akx.8888"

put a science ship in a blackhole system, select it, then run that event

Should work

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Deceitful Penguin posted:

to start doing what I do in the CK2 thread, the event ID for the Horizon signal is "event akx.8888"

put a science ship in a blackhole system, select it, then run that event

Should work

Unfortunately I'm playing Iron Man.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
What is generally a good fleet ratio assuming you want to keep using corvettes? I never seem to know how much of everything I should be using in this gmae.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
So I had an event where some mutants took over one of my planets, and the game won't seem to let me bombard the fortifications down so I can recapture it. Is there a way to bombard a friendly occupied planet that I'm not seeing or should I just get used to not having that planet anymore?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Here's something I can't decide the answer for.

South of me are some capitalist space elves. They've lost all their planets other than one but that planet was conquered off another race a while ago. That other race has their old ethics which was to be enormous racists.

Now the elves have been reduced to a single planet full of racist plants surely the plants should overthrow the elves? I guess that might be coming in Utopia but it feels strange at the moment.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Kibbles n Shits posted:

So I had an event where some mutants took over one of my planets, and the game won't seem to let me bombard the fortifications down so I can recapture it. Is there a way to bombard a friendly occupied planet that I'm not seeing or should I just get used to not having that planet anymore?

Send more troops

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Bholder posted:

Send more troops

15 assault armies barely made a scratch, how many should I send? 100? I'll be out of resources by the time they are done building.

Can Utopia please include bombarding of friendly occupied planets?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I actually had a race I was uplifting have an event fire off where it said due to their long exposure to my race and their ways, they've adopted our way of thinking and they switched from militarist to pacifist. I'm glad those little events are in there but holy poo poo is the "indoctrinate" option a godsend now.

I also actually had an uplifted protectorate become a vassal for the first time ever. Every decade or so I'd dump thousands of minerals and energy on them, they actually managed to colonize a couple more planets and built some outposts. A bunch of my other "OPMs" refuse to tech-up enough though. I love the idea of building a big empire that's actually just a huge federation of minor races you've uplifting, with you at the cultural and political centre.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I actually had a race I was uplifting have an event fire off where it said due to their long exposure to my race and their ways, they've adopted our way of thinking and they switched from militarist to pacifist. I'm glad those little events are in there but holy poo poo is the "indoctrinate" option a godsend now.

I also actually had an uplifted protectorate become a vassal for the first time ever. Every decade or so I'd dump thousands of minerals and energy on them, they actually managed to colonize a couple more planets and built some outposts. A bunch of my other "OPMs" refuse to tech-up enough though. I love the idea of building a big empire that's actually just a huge federation of minor races you've uplifting, with you at the cultural and political centre.

You're not uplifting them, you're enlightening them. Just to make a distinction there because uplifting is when you make non-sentients that you find occupying spaces on planets you colonise into actual proper working pops and enlightening is bringing whole civilisations into the space age.

The latter of which right now I never do because it's too long before I can annex them.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I would have thought that having spent a few decades turning the Mireesh into spiritual collectivists would have maybe delivered a government that was at least either spiritualist or collectivist but no, I'm sure it makes perfect sense for them to be []Fanatic Militarist Individualists[/b]

There is Not A Single Militarist or Individual on the planet! There are several pacifists but they're all also collectivists and spiritualists!
1.5 is allegedly better about this

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh I colonized a desert world and these buddy aliens like that planet type and want a migration treaty, sounds nice because otherwise it's just synths on that planet.
Ok wow do they have a population problem in their empire? Like 10 pops at once moved to this new planet. That's too much, I'm breaking the treaty, stop the boats.
Holy poo poo these guys reproduce fast or something, good thing they HATE continental planets so I can keep them contained on these desert planets.

Nope, they're flooding my continental core systems now, sitting there at 40% happiness. You loving idiots, you poo poo heads are ruining my 100% happiness empire. Why are you moving here? Why do you want to be miserable you idiots? Also what sort of slimy shell fish monster wants to live in the desert???

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Oh I colonized a desert world and these buddy aliens like that planet type and want a migration treaty, sounds nice because otherwise it's just synths on that planet.
Ok wow do they have a population problem in their empire? Like 10 pops at once moved to this new planet. That's too much, I'm breaking the treaty, stop the boats.
Holy poo poo these guys reproduce fast or something, good thing they HATE continental planets so I can keep them contained on these desert planets.

Nope, they're flooding my continental core systems now, sitting there at 40% happiness. You loving idiots, you poo poo heads are ruining my 100% happiness empire. Why are you moving here? Why do you want to be miserable you idiots? Also what sort of slimy shell fish monster wants to live in the desert???
This poo poo right here is why sedentary is secretly a positive trait. They were the bane of my existence when I was full Xenophile/individual.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That is one thing I'd like changed. People go to planets where they're unhappy

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also it was a sector planet and it never bothered to build a paradise dome or frontier hospital to help with the 40% hab problem...

I finally excitedly got the horizon signal and correctly role playing I stopped all involvement after the first science ship went missing. It's unethical to send more scientists and there's clearly some spoopy poo poo at play.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

By the posting here I thought the expo was soon but it's April 6? gently caress.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

I've been watching the Borg in the Star Trek mod and they have a pretty hilarious mechanic: any pop in their empire (including planets they invade during a war) automatically gets the Assimilated trait, which adds borg junk to their picture and makes them always have 60% happiness. Incidentially, successfully invading a planet also means it's theirs for good, it's not just occupied :v:

Presumably the idea is that if they assimilate your planet but don't take it in a war you need to gene mod the assimilated trait off the pops?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah the chance is definitely based on every time a science ship enters a black hole, that's how I got it to fire the one and only time I've seen it.

just to be specific, does the science ship only need to enter the system, or does it need to actually orbit the black hole to trigger?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If you put an admiral in the fed fleet do they get to keep him?
Just joined my first fed and did get the bug where it just does whatever the last owner said to do. I thought this was how it was supposed to be.

Also it apparently doesn't do anything to cap, and I guess I'm the only one able to build big ships at this point, so can I just crank out a few fed battleships every time I get president and eventually end up with a mega doom fleet?

It was cool that the fed ships I build aren't locked to wormhole like my normal ships are, although these ones are hyperlane and I can't see the routes because the tech never came up.

I got the gas giant dwellers event for the first time, that one's pretty fun.

Dunno who said to try expanding slowly and only colonize when your last planet has 4 labs, but it works. Infuriating and you can open yourself up to getting leapfrogged bad, but it does work. I basically sell mutual research agreements to my federation mates for a decent amount of my income. I like to hit up their protectorates too. I got a cool event where one of the officers in the science ship got promoted, she came out as a level two with genetic engineering and touch of genius. This snowballed into the genetic techs that make leaders live 50 extra years and start with extra stars, and all my guys are five stars and were already venerable, and I had a pretty good voidcraft guy, so it's working out well.

My ships suck tho and I constantly lose a ton of corvettes. Are they supposed to be treated like disposable chaff? I don't remember it being quite like this. Never lost any cruisers, and only lost a few destroyers, but those corvettes just instantly flip over and die. This may well be because I think I'm the only one who has cruiser tech or above in this game. I'm rebuilding like half the fleet every engagement, but I don't know if it's a good idea to just build big ships.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

My advice to anyone considering federations: EMBRACE DARKNESS AND CONSUME ALL

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm at war with some xenophobic llamas to my north and for some reason they've purged their whole population. I got to the first planet and could see they were being purged and when I hit their homeworld this is what I found.
http://imgur.com/8GXb1xb

For some reason I can't get it to embed.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
So terrified at the thought of being ruled by xenos that they enacted an empire-wide suicide pact.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Bohemian Nights posted:

just to be specific, does the science ship only need to enter the system, or does it need to actually orbit the black hole to trigger?

Just enter the system.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Taear posted:

I'm at war with some xenophobic llamas to my north and for some reason they've purged their whole population. I got to the first planet and could see they were being purged and when I hit their homeworld this is what I found.

Wow. I wonder if Paradox would be interested in some save states, this seems like something in the AI behavior went very wrong.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

That is one thing I'd like changed. People go to planets where they're unhappy

Most of my posts have been complaining about that - I conquered a xenophobe empire and the pops all migrated to a tomb world I colonised where they had 0 happiness but there were no aliens there.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Xenophobes suiciding or running to hellworlds to escape the scary foreigners is great and should be kept in.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

My advice to anyone considering federations: EMBRACE DARKNESS AND CONSUME ALL
My attitude when playing as an individualist democratic realm is that united we are stronger, and everybody is free to believe what they want within my republic anyways, so why should their little independent states not be annexed by me?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

JT Jag posted:

I am constantly checking up on the Paradox forums for information on the next expansion and patch, because it looks like it'll make the game waaaay more entertaining.

Oh word?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Taear posted:

i'm extremely perplexed

that you think they're llamas

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I actually like the idea of fanatic xenophobes committing mass suicide rather than allowing themselves to be ruled by aliens.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I just re-read that post about missiles and PD being gobbledegook and it bothers me so much. It's a problem that it doesn't seem like a mod can really address. The best efforts seem to entail upping both damage and lowering rate of fire to reduce overkill, but this has its own problems when it takes 17 seconds for each missile to fire. I think I'd have less of a problem with it if you had more weapon options early game... actually, I've been thinking more and more about the way starting weapons work and it just doesn't make sense to me. Typically you can get at least one other type before you have to go to war (IME), so why even bother restricting it to one type to begin with.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Crazycryodude posted:

I actually like the idea of fanatic xenophobes committing mass suicide rather than allowing themselves to be ruled by aliens.

Japan?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Taear posted:

You sure you did not blast them into oblivion with your bombardment?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I haven't played the game since basically immediately after release, because things got repetitive, but I enjoyed it while it lasted

So it'll be fun to bust my xenophile spiritualist penguins who create universal harmony by force out again.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

GunnerJ posted:

I just re-read that post about missiles and PD being gobbledegook and it bothers me so much. It's a problem that it doesn't seem like a mod can really address. The best efforts seem to entail upping both damage and lowering rate of fire to reduce overkill, but this has its own problems when it takes 17 seconds for each missile to fire. I think I'd have less of a problem with it if you had more weapon options early game... actually, I've been thinking more and more about the way starting weapons work and it just doesn't make sense to me. Typically you can get at least one other type before you have to go to war (IME), so why even bother restricting it to one type to begin with.
I really want a weapon setup like Sword of the Stars. It had enough different and interesting weapons that the %age-based tech tree (where you might find some branches inaccessible) locking you out of some research was interesting as you could swap to a different tech- but often at a higher level, as there were multiple sideways links between branches.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I think I speak for a lot of people in the thread when I say I want a SOTS2 that wasn't the SOTS2 we actually got. I'd be happy with a mechanic in Stellaris where you're randomly locked out of technologies unless you salvage them, with weighting by ethics and initial weapon choice.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Aethernet posted:

I think I speak for a lot of people in the thread when I say I want a SOTS2 that wasn't the SOTS2 we actually got. I'd be happy with a mechanic in Stellaris where you're randomly locked out of technologies unless you salvage them, with weighting by ethics and initial weapon choice.

This is kind of why I actually like the current system (which is weighted by those things among others), it's less predictable than a traditional tech tree but getting multiple chances to roll a given tech makes it less punishing than SOTS was.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It just desperately needs more variety, chaos and less non-intuitive lock outs. Thankfully utopia seems to be adding some of that?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Dallan Invictus posted:

This is kind of why I actually like the current system (which is weighted by those things among others), it's less predictable than a traditional tech tree but getting multiple chances to roll a given tech makes it less punishing than SOTS was.

Fair. SOTS's approach being punishing worked in a game in which there were multiple solutions to problems - there were at least five different ways of defeating missile spam, for example. It's less the case in Stellaris, as combat is less detailed and gives less scope for choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Not to mention barely having a tactical level to combat, even compared to their earlier games

• Locked thread