Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

2 days till the end of my billing cycle. Time to:

a) See just what 22gb will get me by streaming netflix/vudu/hulu
b) See what happens beyond 22gb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
This must be what it felt like when France was liberated from the Nazis.

I may still be a little careful on my first months billing in case somehow it still thinks I am on the 4GB plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

This must be what it felt like when France was liberated from the Nazis.

I may still be a little careful on my first months billing in case somehow it still thinks I am on the 4GB plan.

Whatever it shows you on when you log online or through the app is what you currently have.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Between our 16GB XL plan and 6GB promotional credit for new phone activations (Note 7, two Pixel XLs), we're already at a 22gb cap before rollover :colbert:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

Between our 16GB XL plan and 6GB promotional credit for new phone activations (Note 7, two Pixel XLs), we're already at a 22gb cap before rollover :colbert:

Not 22GB each.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, 22gb for all 3 phones. Not each.

Edit: beaten...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For...each?

Holy poo poo, brb, doing maths.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For...each?

Holy poo poo, brb, doing maths.

Yeah, each line gets 10gb hotspot and 22gb before "prioritization".

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As a general FYI, Vudu seems to be burning through about 3.5gb an hour streaming at HDX quality.

So, 3 movies would be enough to hit the soft cap for a month.

The goal is to blow through 22gb today to see what things will be like at work and home when I'm being 'prioritized'.

In practice, I probably wouldn't stream like this off of Vudu for any long span of time if I was traveling. I mean, I still have a 128gb phone and downloading the movies off of Vudu ahead of time is still the smarter bet since you won't be at the mercy of what the local network is doing (especially when travelling by car.) Amazon Prime, Netflix, and my TV also allow downloading of content to watch offline. It is just nice knowing though if I was out somewhere and had some unexpected downtime, I could get in a movie or a TV episode without worrying about anything.

Hopefully the next round of oneupmanship between the carriers start nibbling away at the soft caps. I'd like to see them pushed even further up or do things like prioritization only after two consecutive months of exceeding the soft cap.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 26, 2017

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'd like to see the race to the bottom on unlimited pricing start first.

But that won't happen until AT&T decides they need to unbundle DirecTV from theirs at least.

And not until Sprint... lol never mind that one.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I think they already did

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wickerman posted:

I think they already did

Yeah, though, they don't have individual pricing. A single line appears to be $100/month and they are charging a $40 /month line access fee.

It also doesn't include hotspot. So, it really isn't competitive at all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I switched to T-Mobile today. They have a 20% off promotion if you port a number in + start a new account. $56/month for unlimited everything with tethering? Yeah that's a no brainer.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I switched to T-Mobile today. They have a 20% off promotion if you port a number in + start a new account. $56/month for unlimited everything with tethering? Yeah that's a no brainer.

Throttled or compressed video streaming?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

If I enable Safety Mode on the VZW website, it wont actually throttle till I use up all my data, correct?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

JayKay posted:

If I enable Safety Mode on the VZW website, it wont actually throttle till I use up all my data, correct?

Correct.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, though, they don't have individual pricing. A single line appears to be $100/month and they are charging a $40 /month line access fee.

It also doesn't include hotspot. So, it really isn't competitive at all.

Yeah ATT's is the most expensive. Based off of history they will likely change it in the next few weeks to match Verizon's. Neither tends to stay that far out price wise from the other for long.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Started the day at 6gb used.

Now at 25gb and they're true to word in that they aren't going to slow you down unless necessary. I just ran a speed test and still got 139mbps with 37ms latency.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah ATT's is the most expensive. Based off of history they will likely change it in the next few weeks to match Verizon's. Neither tends to stay that far out price wise from the other for long.

Didn't even take a week.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/02/26/att-unlimited-choice-unlimited-plus-plans/

Odd plans though.

Unlimited Plus is $90 for the first line, has 10gb of tethering (after 10gb speeds are 128kbps, so slower than Verizon), and includes $25 of credit towards DirecTV, DirecTVNOW, or U-verse. So, more expensive than Verizon's plan and worse tethering, but might end up being overall cheaper if you use one of those TV services.

Unlimited Choice is the other plan. It's $60 for the first line, so it's quite a bit cheaper. However, you are capped at 1.5mbps for video (480p streams) and 3mbps overall, no tethering and no DirecTV credits. So, it's the cheapest unlimited plan out there though severely gimped. It's basically rewinding time to when unlimited plans were last offered, but for basic smartphone use, I guess it's not terrible.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
ATT capping their data at 3Mbps and 480 video and 128kbps after 10GB tethering.

My response: https://youtu.be/4uEnNSclcqI

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Three-Phase posted:

ATT capping their data at 3Mbps and 480 video and 128kbps after 10GB tethering.

My response: https://youtu.be/4uEnNSclcqI

I still don't understand what they're doing. They now offer two unlimited plans .. which are still worse than the other carriers options. Stop making it worse AT&T.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I still don't understand what they're doing. They now offer two unlimited plans .. which are still worse than the other carriers options. Stop making it worse AT&T.

They're all bad about focusing on "shareholders" and "growth," but ATT is by far the worst on basing every decision on around what gets highest revenue.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Duckman2008 posted:

They're all bad about focusing on "shareholders" and "growth," but ATT is by far the worst on basing every decision on around what gets highest revenue.

It seems they are feeling some pressure from the other carriers and scrambling to adjust. I would think this would be much worse for "shareholder value" than just competing to begin with, but I'm not in charge of AT&T either so there's that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This honestly smells of of them being worried about hitting quarterly guidance if they put out plans of similar parity. This is probably why the 'Plus' plan is tied to TV service, they can use it to entice subs there. The $60 plan is fine in theory, but a bit to aggressive in data speeds. They are pretty much at odds with their own prepaid service at that point.

Basically, they needed to react with SOMETHING, but aren't in a good position to be competitive.

At work now. My office is in a business district not in town, but with decent traffic. So far no indication of any prioritization of my traffic even though I'm at 25gb used. This is making me feel more at ease about the soft cap, I'm doubting there's going to be many situations where prioritization comes into play.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 27, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Plus plan would have been nice if I hadn't just switched to Verizon. I *do* use DirecTV NOW, but $15 isn't going to sway me either way.

I need to call Verizon because I was supposed to get the free iPhone promotion but that went away before they were able to release my trade-in from the system (their fault because they canceled my order without explanation).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I'm doubting there's going to be many situations where prioritization comes into play.

The only situation I can think of is that your phone will become useless for data at any major sporting event, but that pretty much has been the case anyway, so :shrug:.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Speaking of prioritization, kinda, has anyone here used that thing where VZW let you get unlimited data for an hour for $3? Or does that even exist any more?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Looking at jumping to the new unlimited plan from a grandfathered unlimited data plan - there's no video compression or blocking of anything like FaceTime on the new plans, right? Basically, I want to have (mostly) the same experience on the new plan that I have on my legacy plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

duffmensch posted:

Looking at jumping to the new unlimited plan from a grandfathered unlimited data plan - there's no video compression or blocking of anything like FaceTime on the new plans, right? Basically, I want to have (mostly) the same experience on the new plan that I have on my legacy plan.

You get re prioritized (lower priority over others on towers) after 22GB, so in theory it's a bit slower after 22GB at peak times. And someone recently brought up the point that sports games will likely just be unusable if you're over 22GB, so that would be the differences.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In my experience, using data during sporting events is useless regardless of carrier or throttling.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Endless Mike posted:

In my experience, using data during sporting events is useless regardless of carrier or throttling.

poo poo, even calls and texts are dodgy af in a large enough event. Michigan Stadium is a notable example.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

AlexDeGruven posted:

poo poo, even calls and texts are dodgy af in a large enough event. Michigan Stadium is a notable example.

It was useless last year with T-Mobile at the Lucas Oil Stadium for me, event had sapped every bit of capacity from their network. Going back in a couple weeks so I'll see how Verizon fares .. not expecting much! However, I am loving my unlimited plan so a little bit of "unable to use data here" doesn't bother me.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I've heard of cellular providers running fiber optics and putting in dedicated cells at venues but the volume is just too crazy.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So even without auto-pay, the two-line unlimited is $150? And each line gets their own 10GB tethering and 22GB before prioritization?

poo poo, I think the girlfriend and I are gonna consolidate our plans and move to that, then. We're both on old unlimited and paying basically $100 a month. I can get down with some savings, especially that includes free tethering.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

So even without auto-pay, the two-line unlimited is $150? And each line gets their own 10GB tethering and 22GB before prioritization?

poo poo, I think the girlfriend and I are gonna consolidate our plans and move to that, then. We're both on old unlimited and paying basically $100 a month. I can get down with some savings, especially that includes free tethering.

Yup, family plan is simple:

$110 for base
$20 per line

Doesn't include cost of phones if you need to buy a phone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Duckman2008 posted:

Yup, family plan is simple:

$110 for base
$20 per line

Doesn't include cost of phones if you need to buy a phone.

Yeah, we're currently paying down Droid Turbo 2s as it is, I was just considering plan cost (40 for minutes, 50 for data, 10 for texts). poo poo, that's a really good deal.

If she joined her plan into mine and we made a family plan, would she keep her number?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, we're currently paying down Droid Turbo 2s as it is, I was just considering plan cost (40 for minutes, 50 for data, 10 for texts). poo poo, that's a really good deal.

If she joined her plan into mine and we made a family plan, would she keep her number?

She would def keep her number. Assumption of liability (transfer between Verizon accounts) number is 888-832-4540.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Concept: enjoy the event you paid to attend and stay off your phone? I know posting that clutch pic/video is super important, but you'll probably be fine. Calls and messages still work when data is overloaded so little Timmy's emergency can be triaged.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
The screen on my 1st Gen Droid Turbo completely trashed itself last night.

I have a Galaxy S III ready to go in its place, but the sim card obviously doesn't fit. I believe the sim in a Turbo is a nano, where the GSIII only accepts full sized sim cards.

Should I try to find a sim card adapter, or just go to a Verizon store and get a new sim card?

I've heard that the 1st Gen Turbos have a screen replacement program, but I've also heard that the blue Turbos purchased at Best Buy (the kind I have) aren't part of that program.

Edit: Also, I'm a couple weeks away from an upgrade. If I were to get a Pixel, would I be able to pay ~$200 up front to decrease the added monthly charge? This will be my first upgrade since carriers started making us pay for the whole phone, so I'm not sure if my only options are "pay for the whole phone up front" or "pay ~$30 extra a month unless you want a crap phone, then it's still $10 extra"

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

The screen on my 1st Gen Droid Turbo completely trashed itself last night.

I have a Galaxy S III ready to go in its place, but the sim card obviously doesn't fit. I believe the sim in a Turbo is a nano, where the GSIII only accepts full sized sim cards.

Should I try to find a sim card adapter, or just go to a Verizon store and get a new sim card?

I've heard that the 1st Gen Turbos have a screen replacement program, but I've also heard that the blue Turbos purchased at Best Buy (the kind I have) aren't part of that program.

Edit: Also, I'm a couple weeks away from an upgrade. If I were to get a Pixel, would I be able to pay ~$200 up front to decrease the added monthly charge? This will be my first upgrade since carriers started making us pay for the whole phone, so I'm not sure if my only options are "pay for the whole phone up front" or "pay ~$30 extra a month unless you want a crap phone, then it's still $10 extra"

Verizon now has an option to upgrade early to device payment. You could go in now, pay 30% down towards the Pixel (about $200), and start payment plan early. 30% down goes towards monthly payment of phone.

So if you were wanting to pay $200ish already towards it, you could just get phone immediately.

When you do this early upgrade, your line charge would stay at $40 a month until the contract end date just like normal, then will auto go down to $20 once the contract expires.

• Locked thread