Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Patch notes in six twelve hours.

I still kinda want to do that Fire Burst build, though Hysteria's probably going to be expensive at league start.

theshim fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

funmanguy posted:

Them is some hard challenges. I think I'll get 38.

Will you get the rest on the second week you play?

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Notes are in 12 hours
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20170301T16&p0=22&msg=Content+Update+2.6.0+Patch+Notes&font=cursive

Bulldog is streaming POE.

This is good stuff

theshim
May 1, 2012

Grf, wrong. Augh, the interminable waiting.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Hamburger Test posted:

So, 5 of those are now included in the regular game - assuming those count you'll only have to rely on RNG for 31. According to the graph on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupon_collector%27s_problem that's about 125 attempts on average; I'll bet there will be lots of people missing just one and never finding it one month from now.
Just have to correct myself. The pool you draw from is still all 36 - not sure where it ends up, but somewhere between 125 and 151.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Jusupov posted:

Will you get the rest on the second week you play?

Here is my secret to getting challenges done quickly:

You do the challenges.

Hth

Wait what, bulldog? A summoner build I hope.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I want to do SSF but the gem vendor restrictions are such garbage ahhhh

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

I want to do SSF but the gem vendor restrictions are such garbage ahhhh

they said theyd get rid of those

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Did anyone play flicker in 2.5? Was planning to go with it in 2.6, is raider the go-to ascendancy for flicker now?

Does oro flicker scale to endgame or is a phys+crit flicker better?

Delerion fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 28, 2017

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Delerion posted:

Did anyone play flicker in 2.5? Was planning to go with it in 2.6, is raider the go-to ascendancy for flicker now?

Does oro flicker scale to endgame or is a phys+crit flicker better?

Oro flicker is good. I actually think Slayer is still the better choice; free Melee Splash saves you a link (which is huge), and stun and bleed immunity while leeching is amazing. You're also in a better position on the tree.

I found it started lacking in punch around T15 maps, and it doesn't feel particularly tanky, though.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
Oro's is way too low on defense for even the giant leech to reliably keep you alive against some bosses. You're necessarily jumping up and down on the toes of anything you want to attack and that's not a position that even gladiators and juggernauts generally want in later tier maps.

It's a fun build and can get pretty far but I've never been able to find a way to get both defense and offense to reasonable levels for t10+.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
You can scale the defenses up pretty high, you just have to work a little harder for it.

You're technically not moving while flickering, so you can run AA and get the damage reduction. You also want to run dual curse, either through the passive tree or an item, to run Enfeeble + Flammability.

I never had any issues with the damage; flat fire and WED are both huge for the build and you can get a lot of it on gear.

You may actually want to do Raider with the changes they're making to the right side of the tree, too; Vaal Pact is kind of huge if you stack a bunch of leech elsewhere.

Eye of Innocence + Mokou's is also hilarious with the build, you can perma ignite yourself and it gives you a ton of leech for doing so. It also procs Vengeance basically on coooldown

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 28, 2017

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
* Due to balance changes, every existing character has been moved and is now more obvious.
* The Gull: Now has 15% chance to find specific contacts.
* Added a new mod that increases the level of the tree.

Some early patch note leaks from bex

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Good old Markov Chains.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Challenges look pretty good, but god drat are some of these grinds getting out of hand. As others have mentioned, though, most of the 'random' stuff can be bought - I don't see anything in here on the level of frustration that "get splinters from Chayula in a breach" caused me last season. I guess we'll see. Hopefully should be able to 36 this league and have time to take a month off to let the hype levels for 3.0 build.

The ambitiousness of some of these challenges leads me to believe that leaguestones will be quite common. I certainly hope so. I just want to run crazy maps all day every day.

Can't wait the patch notes to drop later today. I'm leaning towards SRS for a starting build. Obviously we haven't seen the patch notes yet but I think it shouldn't be impacted too much by the AoE overhaul. I figure it's good enough with bad gear to start mapping and then has a pretty high gear ceiling as well. Then use it to fund a more single target bosskiller. Anyone have an SRS build they swear by?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Oro Flicker was so much fun when I played it in I think Talisman, but was absolutely terrifying too, as I was HC. Never died but that's because I just got too scared to play him and quit around T6 maps. Zero time to react to anything.

Maybe I'll go softcore this time like everyone else seems to be planning on doing.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

Mystery Prize posted:

You may actually want to do Raider with the changes they're making to the right side of the tree, too; Vaal Pact is kind of huge if you stack a bunch of leech elsewhere.

Thanks, raider sounds pretty good, and looks like there are a few flicker guides for other weapons too using raider like the Ngamahu axe and Kitava axe.

Headhunters are probably easier to get too this league, hoping to try one again with flicker.

J
Jun 10, 2001

MerrMan posted:

Challenges look pretty good, but god drat are some of these grinds getting out of hand.

Grinding gear games's gear grinding game

panda clue
May 23, 2014

J posted:

Grinding gear games's gear grinding game

I never understand why people complain about challenges actually requiring some degree of effort, especially when the rewards are entirely cosmetic and relatively minor. People are too used to bullshit 'CHALLENGE COMPLETED: Item Equipped' type bullshit other games have taken to in recent years.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

panda clue posted:

I never understand why people complain about challenges actually requiring some degree of effort, especially when the rewards are entirely cosmetic and relatively minor. People are too used to bullshit 'CHALLENGE COMPLETED: Item Equipped' type bullshit other games have taken to in recent years.

I feel the issue is that people prefer challenges to be challenging in execution level, rather than execution time. However, having such expectations in the designated grind genre of games is a fool's errand.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

panda clue posted:

No I'm just sure people would rather challenges be interesting as opposed to tedium and RNG.
Getting people to repetiviely redo the same content for a "milestone" tends to show the cracks in that content that otherwise wouldn't appear if you just did it when available (say doing a fuckton of breachlords)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I had just been thinking that this thread needed smugposting from Dark Souls players

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Cerepol posted:

No I'm just sure people would rather challenges be interesting as opposed to tedium and RNG.
Getting people to repetiviely redo the same content for a "milestone" tends to show the cracks in that content that otherwise wouldn't appear if you just did it when available (say doing a fuckton of breachlords)

There are several that are quite interesting, and people are still bitching about those lol.

Almost all of them can be completed by just Playing The Game. Anything you happen to get unlucky with you can just get from someone else. Finding Chayula was one of the most RNG bullshit challenges they've had in years, and there is nothing comparable to that on the list. Also, Grinding Gear Games.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I had just been thinking that this thread needed smugposting from Dark Souls players

It's a funny comic I thought was mildy relevant you big dumb baby.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

2.5.4 Patch Notes
Fixed issues with Legacy Character Effect.
Added client support for the Thai language.

Server going down in 1 hour for about 20 minutes. This is presumably when the rest of the Breach migration will happen, unless it already did and I'm not aware of it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

panda clue posted:

The panel with the dad feeding the kid except he's feeding him a Shaper kill. CHALLENGE COMPLETED lol

panda clue
May 23, 2014

MMF Freeway posted:

The panel with the dad feeding the kid except he's feeding him a Shaper kill. CHALLENGE COMPLETED lol

literally 90% of the people that get the Shaper kill challenge (and probably the Uber kill challenge this league)

That comic can also apply to people bitching about having to do Izaro itt :smugdog:.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 28, 2017

The Broletariat
May 23, 2004
I wonder if there's beer on the sun?
Hey guys, remember the challenges where you had to have like 500ex in uniques that you had to keep on your account before poe.trade existed? Good times.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

panda clue posted:

literally 90% of the people that get the Shaper kill challenge (and probably the Uber kill challenge this league)

That comic can also apply to people bitching about having to do Izaro itt :smugdog:.

So are you smugposting or not?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

The Broletariat posted:

Hey guys, remember the challenges where you had to have like 500ex in uniques that you had to keep on your account before poe.trade existed? Good times.

No because only like 5% of the people in this thread played back when the challenges were actually super insanely difficult. They would lose their minds if we went back to that poo poo.

McFrugal posted:

So are you smugposting or not?

I'm literally always smug when I post. Also :smugdog: is my favorite SA emote.

Is this relevant somehow?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

panda clue posted:

Is this relevant somehow?

Soothing Vapors posted:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm smogposting

*farts*

panda clue
May 23, 2014

cool story bro :smugdon:

edit:

please knock Mom! posted:

I'm smogposting

*farts*

panda clue fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 28, 2017

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

quote:

I'm smogposting

*uses Blight*

panda clue
May 23, 2014
please don't use bad skills

theshim
May 1, 2012

Imagine a world with an Elemental Hit threshold jewel.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

panda clue posted:

please don't use bad skills

can't hear you over my screaming and wailing as my stank cloud takes 2 minutes to kill white mobs

panda clue
May 23, 2014

redneck nazgul posted:

can't hear you over my screaming and wailing as my stank cloud takes 2 minutes to kill white mobs

projectPT's wet dream right here

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The old challenges were loving garbage. I used to get like, maybe one or two done per league. I started getting into the challenge train when they had the flashback challenge league thing and I got all the armor. I hosed up in Talisman though :smith:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Yes they learned that full clearing maps was loving garbage, and just collecting poo poo was boring, so they started to make better challenges. I just want them to continue that trend.

EDIT:

also identifying a bunch of super rare uniques. that was SUPER fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Vasudus posted:

The old challenges were loving garbage. I used to get like, maybe one or two done per league. I started getting into the challenge train when they had the flashback challenge league thing and I got all the armor. I hosed up in Talisman though :smith:

This right here.

I was just looking through it before the site went down. In onslaught find and hang on to 90 uniques, use an exalted and eternal orb. poo poo was nuts.

Also:

• Locked thread