Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MinibarMatchman posted:

In RCR Underground I had two checkpoints, one for the arcade and another for the pink wrestler, going to both locations didnt do jack poo poo. I feel like this game is loving busted to poo poo. Can't even bring up the world map without mashing a button like 20 times.

You gotta clear out the enemies during the daytime for the arcade, and you gotta clear out every section of the warehouse until the pink wrestler shows up. Not sure about the world map problem tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

suuma posted:

Have you played Nioh

yeah I'm like level 25 in it but going very slowly. like Bloodborne it'll probably take me months to get through just because I need to fight everything and everyone

Lurdiak posted:

You gotta clear out the enemies during the daytime for the arcade, and you gotta clear out every section of the warehouse until the pink wrestler shows up. Not sure about the world map problem tho.

I guess I'll have to check again. I did multiplayer and one of my friends couldnt save his game so I assume there's just shitloads of bugs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

presuming I do the Target B2G1 sale, what should be the free game if I get Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata. I don't have a Switch so maybe I should just pick up Wildlands and then sell it away or something.

I'd say Zelda but if it runs like dogshit on the WiiU there's no way I want it. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I'd guess Zelda's going to run about as well on the Wii U as it does on the Switch, but at a lower resolution and with worse color depth. Unfortunately both of those things are pretty big downsides to me (the colors more than the resolution, I can deal with 720p just fine) so I'm probably going to wait until I get a Switch, even though I'm crazy excited for the game.

Between Horizon and Nier, it probably comes down to which type of gameplay you're up for and how excited you are to look at really pretty graphics. Do you want...
  • ...to shoot things, sneak, gather, craft, fight huge robot dinosaurs, and look at amazing graphics? Get Horizon.
  • ...to do fast-paced melee combat with occasional light bullet hell elements surrounded by a very dramatic anime story and amazing music? Get Nier: Automata.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are significant bugs, but I genuinely believe in the RCRU team's ability to fix it all. I think they might've committed to a deadline prematurely, and it might be better for people to wait a bit before playing the game if they don't want to have to deal with the bugs or possible balance issues in content that wasn't beta tested. I feel bad for anyone who bought the game on my recommendation and is having a bad time! I didn't mean to sell anyone a bill of goods.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there are significant bugs, but I genuinely believe in the RCRU team's ability to fix it all. I think they might've committed to a deadline prematurely, and it might be better for people to wait a bit before playing the game if they don't want to have to deal with the bugs or possible balance issues in content that wasn't beta tested. I feel bad for anyone who bought the game on my recommendation and is having a bad time! I didn't mean to sell anyone a bill of goods.

Nah I was going to buy it even before anyone said anything, been waiting on it a while. They'll probably patch it but I'm gonna wait a week for it to cool off

Harrow posted:

I'd guess Zelda's going to run about as well on the Wii U as it does on the Switch, but at a lower resolution and with worse color depth. Unfortunately both of those things are pretty big downsides to me (the colors more than the resolution, I can deal with 720p just fine) so I'm probably going to wait until I get a Switch, even though I'm crazy excited for the game.

Between Horizon and Nier, it probably comes down to which type of gameplay you're up for and how excited you are to look at really pretty graphics. Do you want...
  • ...to shoot things, sneak, gather, craft, fight huge robot dinosaurs, and look at amazing graphics? Get Horizon.
  • ...to do fast-paced melee combat with occasional light bullet hell elements surrounded by a very dramatic anime story and amazing music? Get Nier: Automata.

Honestly I loved the Nier demo and all Platinum games so I'm good there. I haven't played an open world action game since like Witcher 3 and Batman 2 years ago so I'm fresh and ready for a change from all the 1st person and strategy games I spent 2016 playing. Neither are big question marks for me--the only question here is "does Zelda WiiU run at 30fps reliably"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

Honestly I loved the Nier demo and all Platinum games so I'm good there. I haven't played an open world action game since like Witcher 3 and Batman 2 years ago so I'm fresh and ready for a change from all the 1st person and strategy games I spent 2016 playing. Neither are big question marks for me--the only question here is "does Zelda WiiU run at 30fps reliably"

It does not, and by all reports, neither does the Switch version. The difference between the two is really just resolution, environment detail, and (probably) color depth.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

happy 42nd birthday GamemasterAnthony

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'm waiting with bated breath for this year's actual post to surface

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

It does not, and by all reports, neither does the Switch version. The difference between the two is really just resolution, environment detail, and (probably) color depth.

wow, nevermind then, how the gently caress do you put out a game in 2017 that dips that badly

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Instant Sunrise posted:

This party of his sounds like Heaven. And not in the sense of it being a great time, I mean it sounds like he's wishing to go to actual Heaven. Suicide watch 9 years later.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's a little surreal to me that a really excellent console Zelda game is coming out for the first time since Wind Waker. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were serviceable but BotW seems like it's reinvigorating the tradition of Zelda games being bombshells. I'm so excited!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm glad I have a high tolerance for framerate stuff + can play games that go below 30fps without going into convulsions

watching frame rate comparison videos is no way to live

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm one of those people who can really tell when framerates dip below ~45ish in games and I wish I wasn't so that I wouldn't have to spend tons of money making Tomb Raider look awesome (it does look awesome though).

By contrast I think movies shot at 48+ FPS look really cheap and "fake" to me, like it's made for television. It's weird.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I notice framerates, but the N64 and PS1 have forever inoculated me from caring if a framerate is bad (if there's no alternative way to play the game with a better framerate, anyway).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Phantasium posted:

I notice framerates, but the N64 and PS1 have forever inoculated me from caring if a framerate is bad (if there's no alternative way to play the game with a better framerate, anyway).

A couple summers ago I replayed Perfect Dark and my eyes needed a good day or two to adjust.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The difference between 60 and 30 is pretty negligible to me. The main problem is that if it's a pretty game 30fps is usually an indicator that the game will slow down when explosions and other effects show up.

Tldr if it's steady i dont care.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I find its not so much low framerate, but uneven framerate that's the real killer. Which is why 60fps is good to shoot for, because a dip from 60 to 50 is easy to look past but a dip from 30 to 20 is instantly recognizable and feels bad when you're playing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Curse my incredible eyes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

I find its not so much low framerate, but uneven framerate that's the real killer. Which is why 60fps is good to shoot for, because a dip from 60 to 50 is easy to look past but a dip from 30 to 20 is instantly recognizable and feels bad when you're playing.

This is exacerbated by non GSync/Freesync monitors having to refresh at some interval of the monitor's refresh rate, so when your display says 45fps on average what you're actually getting are some frames processed at 60hz and some at 30hz and below. Turning off VSync results in excessive screen tearing. Having a dynamic sync solution really goes a long way toward creating a smoother picture under load.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm glad I have a high tolerance for framerate stuff + can play games that go below 30fps without going into convulsions

Yeah, I'm the same way. I do love it when games hit and maintain 60 fps, but I can overlook frame rate issues in otherwise good games. For example, I know Bloodborne has a ton of frame rate and frame pacing issues, but I don't really care that much because everything else is so good.

So Breath of the Wild's frame rate issues don't bother me that much. It's why I care a lot more about things like environment detail and color depth for the differences between the Wii U and the Switch.

exquisite tea posted:

By contrast I think movies shot at 48+ FPS look really cheap and "fake" to me, like it's made for television. It's weird.

That's not so weird. I think most people have the same reaction to high frame rate TV and movies. We're so used to seeing 24 fps movies that we're sort of conditioned to see that as "real," so when TV or movies are shot at higher frame rates, many people think they look lower-budget because they look less "real." In America, we also tend to associate high frame rates in live action things with soap operas, which are cheap productions and look cheap for other reasons. Higher frame rates were pretty standard in UK TV for a while (it's noticeable in the Doctor Who reboot before season 5, for example) but now they're starting to follow suit with America and show things at 24 fps instead.

Directors aren't necessarily wrong when they say there's no reason to stay at 24 fps when you're not shooting on film, but it's just so ingrained in us now that making the switch is a really hard sell.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

Directors aren't necessarily wrong when they say there's no reason to stay at 24 fps when you're not shooting on film, but it's just so ingrained in us now that making the switch is a really hard sell.

But enough about Nintendo.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Phantasium posted:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

:pusheen:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nasgate posted:

The difference between 60 and 30 is pretty negligible to me. The main problem is that if it's a pretty game 30fps is usually an indicator that the game will slow down when explosions and other effects show up.

Tldr if it's steady i dont care.

pretty much this, I don't care if it's 60 or 30 if it's steady but going for a benchmark of 30 and getting dips of down to like probably 25 is gross as gently caress. if you can deal with it then god bless but I don't know how the gently caress anyone can bear it, especially if it messes with your inputs in an action game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Has there been any actual documentation that the colors are different between versions or are people still just assuming that because they looked different between two different presentations separated by a long span of time?

Like, it could be a version difference but it's also just as likely to just be a change they made in development. No need to jump to conclusions.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

exquisite tea posted:

I'm one of those people who can really tell when framerates dip below ~45ish in games and I wish I wasn't so that I wouldn't have to spend tons of money making Tomb Raider look awesome (it does look awesome though).

Yeah I super notice as well, I was pretty stoked when I figured out how I could get Tomb Raider constantly running at 60 while still having the awesome hair effects on (turns out, having textures on really high made the game hate me for some reason?? but the hair effects are fine for some reason). I accept it for old games but modern games I just don't enjoy it if the FPS drops to 30. I like how smooth everything is. Especially true for games like Overwatch or Wolfenstien

I can't, however, even notice the difference between 60 and 100+ FPS. Overwatch can get that high for me but I don't see what the difference is. I guess it's cool my PC is capable of it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

PantsBandit posted:

Has there been any actual documentation that the colors are different between versions or are people still just assuming that because they looked different between two different presentations separated by a long span of time?

Like, it could be a version difference but it's also just as likely to just be a change they made in development. No need to jump to conclusions.

the wii u is old and the switch is new

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I super notice as well, I was pretty stoked when I figured out how I could get Tomb Raider constantly running at 60 while still having the awesome hair effects on (turns out, having textures on really high made the game hate me for some reason?? but the hair effects are fine for some reason). I accept it for old games but modern games I just don't enjoy it if the FPS drops to 30. I like how smooth everything is. Especially true for games like Overwatch or Wolfenstien

Very High textures on Tomb Raider chew up like 7GB of VRAM, that's usually the main culprit when people run into performance issues with that game. The difference between it and just High is barely noticeable to me. Those TressFX though... irreplaceable.

PantsBandit posted:

It might even just be due to the higher resolution of the Switch. Colors will just naturally appear to "pop" more the higher up in resolution you go, even if they're displaying the same exact image.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

oddium posted:

the wii u is old and the switch is new

Yes, hence the difference in resolution and detail. Changing color depth seems odd, I would guess they'd first go other routes to reach fps parity but then again I'm not a dev.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

You're right, but it's why I'm holding off on preordering or anything like that. I'm looking forward to the inevitable Digital Foundry comparison video because it could be a version difference but it could also just be a "we made the colors better in the seven months of development between E3 and the Switch reveal."

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

It's a little surreal to me that a really excellent console Zelda game is coming out for the first time since Wind Waker. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were serviceable but BotW seems like it's reinvigorating the tradition of Zelda games being bombshells. I'm so excited!

Eh, botw looks cool and I have ita ordered but the hype it has now isn't all that different than the hype TP and SS had when they were related so time will tell how much of a bombshell this will end up being

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

Eh, botw looks cool and I have ita ordered but the hype it has now isn't all that different than the hype TP and SS had when they were related so time will tell how much of a bombshell this will end up being

TP had huge amounts of hype and is the best selling Zelda game besides TOOT. It takes a lot of retroactive revision for anyone to pretend like TP didn't have critical levels of hype.(Remember the whole 8.8 kerfluffle?)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

glam rock hamhock posted:

when skyward sword was trending at like perfect 10s, jfc. yet you can't step on the loving lawn without Siri telling you no

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The hype for Breath of the Wild excites me more because it's so focused on how different it is from previous Zelda games. Unless I'm really misremembering, neither Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword had anyone saying they blew up the Zelda formula or even really deviated from it in any meaningful way.

I'm interested in the one preview I read that said Breath of the Wild makes Horizon look "simplistic" here:

quote:

Having just completed it, we couldn’t help but think of Horizon Zero Dawn while playing Breath Of The Wild, and how simplistic it now seems compared to Zelda. You also have a bow in Breath Of The Wild, but you have to account for how arrows arc through the air, rather than it just acting like a low-tech sniper rifle. Boomerangs have to be caught manually on their return and the best way to defeat the skeletons that appear at night is to chop off their head and punt it into a river, like a goalkeeper trying to make a clearance.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think there were people in the Overwatch thread saying they play it at like 200fps and can't go back to 60fps

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

TP had huge amounts of hype and is the best selling Zelda game besides TOOT. It takes a lot of retroactive revision for anyone to pretend like TP didn't have critical levels of hype.(Remember the whole 8.8 kerfluffle?)

All the excitement and buildup is pretty funny in retrospect.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm wary of BotW because it's illegal for game reviewers to say bad things about Zelda games. Personally I haven't enjoyed a 3D Zelda since WW so I'm just going to wait and see. Nothing about BotW makes me very interested in it either...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I only really notice frame rates when I'm switching between games. Normally I play just one game and when I'm done with it I move on to something else but lately I've been splitting my time between Hitman and Doom and I never noticed Hitman's frame rate until after I started Doom. But while I notice, I don't really care.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I think there were people in the Overwatch thread saying they play it at like 200fps and can't go back to 60fps

What the hell kind of monitor has a refresh rate that high? :psyduck:

I do remember a Super Bunnyhop video that compared 60 fps gaming with 144 fps gaming that I thought was pretty interesting (and that also, amusingly, came out like a week before YouTube rolled out their 60 fps option). It seems like it really is noticeable but it's not like most people have computers that are going to run most modern games at a frame rate like that.

Here's the video, if anyone's curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCbTRSv9sQ8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like, I don't doubt it will be good and maybe this will finally be the game that really is the best ever for the series that tips the rose tinted memories of OoT or the actual greatness of LttP, but with the reviewers scared of the Nintendo fanboys and the Nintendo fanboys themselves declaring it best ever on the basis of it being a Nintendo game, it will be impossible to know how good it is without playing it

• Locked thread