Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No Girls thread? :/

This Sunday's was a pretty good look at men who abuse power and sexually assault women. Was hoping to see some discussion about the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The thread would be a garbage fire. Probably better off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shageletic posted:

I think Legion is the best thing running right now.

I really like Legion, I just don't feel there's enough substance there to make that call yet.

Everything that's there is top notch. I'm enjoying the journey thus far, I just have no indication where the destination is or if it will worthwhile.

Legion really feels like a show that should be released all at once. Week by week is really working against its pace. I feel like there should be this steadily climbing feeling of dread and panic, but a week between episodes is really stunting the momentum.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Then wait 8 weeks and watch it in one go. This isn't rocket science.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Good Fight is my favorite show this year so i guess I'm a CBS target audience and old.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

less laughter posted:

Then wait 8 weeks and watch it in one go. This isn't rocket science.

That's not going to help it get a second season though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

No Girls thread? :/

This Sunday's was a pretty good look at men who abuse power and sexually assault women. Was hoping to see some discussion about the episode.

It was a super good episode. Twist was hilarious and hosed-up and that final shot was really powerful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

No seriously how the hell is Patriot like The Young Pope? Like, at all? It's an extremely dark and dry comedy where everything is completely straight except for the fact that it's all loving insane. It's not even remotely going for the same thing as The Young Pope, which had flights of whimsy and caustic humor but wasn't about that at all.

Also the first four episodes are just....a near-perfect farce. I'll buy it getting better but those four episodes alone would be worth watching even if the rest went to poo poo.

I wouldn't compare it to The Young Pope, no, but you're right that it's a pitch-perfect farce, and yes, it does keep getting better. Like, a lot better. I'm gonna make a thread because this show is just too good.

e: Patriot thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3811841 I'll spruce it up later but I figured enough of us were talking about it to get the thread up now.

precision fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 28, 2017

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

bull3964 posted:

Legion really feels like a show that should be released all at once. Week by week is really working against its pace. I feel like there should be this steadily climbing feeling of dread and panic, but a week between episodes is really stunting the momentum.

I disagree. I find myself watching and missing out on things the first viewing. So I watch it again sometime later. There's references and little bits going on in the background that have you saying, "Ooooh, so THAT'S what happened." You wouldn't get that by straight bingeing. I like that you get a week to wonder what else is going on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Youtube is launching a tv service for $35.

"Sadly, like many other streaming bundles, it has gaps. YouTube TV, as it’s called, will be missing channels from Viacom, including big names like Comedy Central and MTV. It also won’t have programming from Turner Broadcasting, meaning you won’t be able to get CNN, TBS, and TNT. AMC Networks, Discovery Communications, Time Warner and A+E Networks are also missing as of the launch announcement. ShowTime is available as an add on, but HBO is not. But hey, you YouTube TV is throwing in originals from it’s YouTube Red subscription service for free!"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That doesn't sound very good at all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It would be bad if it was $8 month. $35? Is that per year?

Is it going to have ads? Because I bet it will. Netflix has no ads. Hulu @$12 a month has no ads.

RedTubeTV is going to have no content and also ads.

I looked it up. It will have ads.

$35/month AND YOU GET TO WATCH ADS.

fuckin lol.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'm not familiar with cable TV in the US, but what exactly DOES that service have? Of course it won't have Netflix or Amazon stuff either. Does it have the big 4 sports?

Wow that sounds bad.

Snak posted:

fuckin lol.

Surely if the $12 a month Youtube Red doesn't have ads, this won't either?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a live TV/cloud DVR service rather than a streaming service, no? Still poo poo, but it having ads isn't the most egregious thing ever.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

It's a live TV/cloud DVR service rather than a streaming service, no? Still poo poo, but it having ads isn't the most egregious thing ever.

I mean, it costs as much as Hulu+ (without ads), netflix, amazon prime, and starz added on to amazon prime. Those cover a lot. And no ads.

I agree, ads aren't the worst, but I don't see what would make this worth $35 a month.

Looten Plunder posted:

Surely if the $12 a month Youtube Red doesn't have ads, this won't either?

from the announcement

quote:

Unlike the Hulu service, which offers the ability to watch TV shows from NBC, ABC and Fox without commercials, or CBS's All-Access service, YouTube TV shows from the networks will all have ads.

edit:
hahahaha

quote:

...YouTube is banking on its mostly young, millennial audience springing for a monthly subscription to watch network and cable TV shows.

YouTube is the number one video service, and says some 1 billion hours of videos are watched daily on its network. That includes music videos, clips from the lTV late-night comics and cute animal videos.
YouTube TV will be a stand-alone app and not interchangeable with the current YouTube Red app. However, originals produced for Red will be watchable on YouTube TV.
yes, the people who watch hours and hours of free videos of cute and funny poo poo are gonna be the ones who sign up for a $35 a month service.

Snak fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 1, 2017

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I just read this article https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/28/youtube-launches-youtube-tv-its-live-tv-streaming-service/

Surely the key here is live sport? If customers can get every game of NFL, Basketball, Basesball and Hockey that's a win yeah?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

I just read this article https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/28/youtube-launches-youtube-tv-its-live-tv-streaming-service/

Surely the key here is live sport? If customers can get every game of NFL, Basketball, Basesball and Hockey that's a win yeah?

Yes, I guess that makes sense.

I sometimes forget about sports, which is on me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It will have a lot of content that Hulu doesn't have.

The real question is will the DVR allow fast forward/skip? If so, ads are irrelevant.

$35/month for unlimited cloud DVR for the 4 main nets, FX, FXX, USA, Syfy isn't the worst thing in the world.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Are they gonna still have blackout dates on sports? Cause that poo poo is infuriating.

Also I pay $70/mo for the privilege of DVR'ing Syfy/FX/AMC and the 4 main networks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I mean, it costs as much as Hulu+ (without ads), netflix, amazon prime, and starz added on to amazon prime. Those cover a lot. And no ads.

But they're not live TV

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is the iTunes style "purchase a season of a show" done via Youtube, Youtube Red or Google Play?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm losing my cable hookup and checking out services, and wow that youtube thing doesn't even make the short list. I can plug channel holes with :filez:, but I do want live CNN.

PS Vue seems like the best, but it runs like absolute loving rear end on PCs, which is kind of how I do my watching. My big fucker desktop runs it fine, but my laptop and the mini pc on my bedroom tv are hitchy as hell. Flash. Flash in 2017? SAD!

But it has a cloud DVR.

If Sling's on demand covers enough I might use it.

The only sport I remotely care about is F1 so that's not a factor.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Are they gonna still have blackout dates on sports? Cause that poo poo is infuriating.

I don't know how blackout stuff works in the US but I think this is the answer to your question:

quote:

However, it will only launch in markets where it can offer full, live local broadcast feeds, like L.A., New York and Philadelphia.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

$35/month for unlimited cloud DVR for the 4 main nets, FX, FXX, USA, Syfy isn't the worst thing in the world.

Almost nobody gets CBS, they want you to use their own lovely service.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

But they're not live TV

But don't the people who care about live TV just... have cable bundled with their internet?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
introducing our tv streaming service! well no, we dont stream that channel... or that one... no, not that one either... yeah you'd assume we have that one but we dont, also no to that one as well...

ok look maybe we jumped the gun a bit calling it "tv" what we really meant was you can watch reruns of Drag Race 24/7,

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

IRQ posted:

Almost nobody gets CBS, they want you to use their own lovely service.

Yeah, which is why CBS being included in this could be a big value add for some people.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Will Star Trek be on it? Cause that's the only reason to ever even look at the stupid CBS Streaming.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

fuckin dead

Snak posted:

YOU GET TO WATCH ADS.

:roflolmao:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

bring back old gbs posted:

introducing our tv streaming service! well no, we dont stream that channel... or that one... no, not that one either... yeah you'd assume we have that one but we dont, also no to that one as well...

ok look maybe we jumped the gun a bit calling it "tv" what we really meant was you can watch reruns of Drag Race 24/7,

No service is going to have everything unless you subscribe to cable and get their top package. The key is finding a combination of services (including individual show purchased) that give you what you want.

I recently cut back to one of FiOS's custom TV packages and it's glorious not having to pay for sports or cable news channels anymore. I did lose a few stations that I watch one or two shows on, but I'll end up saving more by purchasing those instead of subscribing to the channels.

This package has some of the things I got rid of, so it's an option if I wanted to pick up those channels for less than upgrading to the cable package with them.

This, psvue, DirecTV Now are all basically "networks plus others" packages. Choose the one that has the "others" you want and has an interface that works for you.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 1, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My folks are old school and pay for the ultimate TV package but don't give a poo poo about streaming. So I used their account to hookup all the apps to my Roku. Another easy way to save money.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If I look at the price of my cable/internet bundle then $35 a month is more than half of what I pay for cable with HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax. And that gets me all the channels included and excluded from the Youtube thing and all the sports channels and access to stream all the channels anywhere I want at any time. Not to mention all the on demand stuff. That price is horrible.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, which is why CBS being included in this could be a big value add for some people.

True.

I wish CBS and Viacom would stop being such cunts about these things. It's not a big deal for me to get their content anyway but I would gladly pay another 5 bucks to psvue or sling or whoever to just have it all in one place. I want to be lazy like I am with my current setup of just having every drat thing.

X-O posted:

If I look at the price of my cable/internet bundle then $35 a month is more than half of what I pay for cable with HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax. And that gets me all the channels included and excluded from the Youtube thing and all the sports channels and access to stream all the channels anywhere I want at any time. Not to mention all the on demand stuff. That price is horrible.

Whoa, how? The sat tv package I leech is around 200 i think for the 2 DVRs and one other box for every channel under the sun. Comcrap at my apartment(building sadly isn't wired for FiOS) would be like 100 more than my current internet for a low tier package with HD and 1 DVR. $35 is what you'd pay for just those pay channels, what providor do you have?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Patriot is utterly bizarre. I love it. I'm real glad people kept bringing it up here or I never would have heard of it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

bull3964 posted:

That's not going to help it get a second season though.

Unless you're a Nielsen family, it doesn't matter.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

So what's the deal with Patriot? I saw it listed as a comedy, and for the most part that's not really my thing unless it's a show like Always Sunny. Is there actually a good story that's treated seriously there?

It has comedic elements but it's not a conventional comedy and it is mostly story driven. Most of the humour comes from the juxtaposition of serious characters responding to farcical problems that they're unable to fix.

The closest comparison I'd give for it is In Bruges, but I think In Bruges is a bit more comedic and Patriot is a bit more dramatic. In any case I thought Patriot was pretty great and I'm glad people recommended it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Elite posted:

It has comedic elements but it's not a conventional comedy and it is mostly story driven. Most of the humour comes from the juxtaposition of serious characters responding to farcical problems that they're unable to fix.

The closest comparison I'd give for it is In Bruges, but I think In Bruges is a bit more comedic and Patriot is a bit more dramatic. In any case I thought Patriot was pretty great and I'm glad people recommended it.

There are a lot of "jokes" of dialogue/event repetition, also. Like, for real it reminds me of The Big Lebowski. Not in overall tone, because it's so much darker, but just in terms of dialogue and awkward comedy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

Whoa, how? The sat tv package I leech is around 200 i think for the 2 DVRs and one other box for every channel under the sun. Comcrap at my apartment(building sadly isn't wired for FiOS) would be like 100 more than my current internet for a low tier package with HD and 1 DVR. $35 is what you'd pay for just those pay channels, what providor do you have?

Well if I separate it out and subtract the normal price of the internet plan without the bundle discount (which I would be paying without the cable either way) then I pay $66 plus taxes just for my cable. Now this is also dependent on the fact that I don't pay box rental fees and actually get a further small discount on the plan because I use my own equipment. The plan altogether is $149 for internet and cable, then I get around a $7.50 discount on the cablecards (3 cards x $2.50) and the $10 outlet fee is waived because all the cablecards are connected to one outlet and the first outlet is free. So then $141.50 plus taxes is what I pay total. Just my internet would $74.99 without a bundle.

EDIT: Normally the price without the bundle is close to $200

I also have a cable box sitting in a closet that I don't use that was part of the bundle free. I've never even hooked it up.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 1, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

PS Vue seems like the best, but it runs like absolute loving rear end on PCs, which is kind of how I do my watching. My big fucker desktop runs it fine, but my laptop and the mini pc on my bedroom tv are hitchy as hell. Flash. Flash in 2017? SAD!

But it has a cloud DVR.

IIRC the PC platform is relatively new for PSVue. If you have a Chromecast or Roku or fire TV or some other TV connected device, you're probably better off using one of those.

Based off using Vue and Sling with my phone / Android TV, Vue is far superior, and is also cheaper for the base package. Sling doesn't have any DVR (at least didn't as of last November) or any local channels (how many you get with Vue values by region but at least you get something, and can sign into the network apps and sometimes get live TV from there) and their feeds are all delayed 2-3 minutes which was annoying as poo poo. And their interface was garbage too. Vue also has a pretty poo poo interface that lags and crashes sometimes, but I'd still take it over Sling's.

If they still carry Viacom networks, that's probably the only pro over getting Vue if you watch those channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The one thing about cable as opposed to streaming services is that in addition to being able to negotiate your bill to a point, you also have to watch carefully and make sure they keep up their end of the bargain. For instance on my November bill they didn't give my cablecard discounts and I had to call about it and it was added to my December bill. That happens a couple times a year maybe.

• Locked thread