Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bottas is my favorite driver. How can you dislike the guy?

How is Stroll personality wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

VelociBacon posted:

Bottas is my favorite driver. How can you dislike the guy?

Hes not even the vanilla ice cream of drivers (edit: thats HUL) he's the gluten free calorie free frozen dessert of drivers. He hasnt even been bad in an amusing and remarkable way, he's just filling a seat and doing..... alright. :effort:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Epic racist guy is right, Botass is poo poo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

track day bro! posted:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Excited to see the man who'll finally return Ferrari to the top on track today. Too bad he was driving the Sauber.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

track day bro! posted:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Norns posted:

It's going to be a fight between the Mercs
Accurate

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Uh it's spelled "Buttass" you guys.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm an American so I can't be racist against Finns: that recovery was alright so I'm optimistic about Bottas.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

1500quidporsche posted:

Also Bottas appears to be struggling to get to grips with the car. Some people were saying he looked fairly scrappy on the race sim and his lap times were all over the map.

I heard the same thing, Low-Energy Bottas is a disaster. Please ignore Tsaedje, he is fake news

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Hes not even the vanilla ice cream of drivers (edit: thats HUL) he's the gluten free calorie free frozen dessert of drivers. He hasnt even been bad in an amusing and remarkable way, he's just filling a seat and doing..... alright. :effort:

ah poo poo I agree with Matt

He's so loving boring it literally makes me angry.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bottas is unremarkable to the point that he got beaten by Massa on a regular basis. I unironically dispise the fact that such a mediocre driver has been given a seat in a car capable of winning, when there are drivers on the grid more than capable of taking the fight to Lewis, and making the two horse title battle more interesting to watch as a fan. :colbert:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Also the most boring possible resolution to OH poo poo OPEN SEAT IN #1 CAR when Rossberg retired.
Like there's not a person on the grid, or who I could even think of in recent history, who would be more boring.

His existence itself has made the sport tacitly worse.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I've said it before and I'll say it now. On the whole Bottas outperformed Massa, but any time the Williams was put up higher than it really should've been it was Massa at the wheel.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The frustrating part is not that Mercedes signed Bottas, it's that Williams brought back Massa to replace him, and immediately put an end to what should've been an extremely entertaining silly season.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He's like Hulkenburg in that he always puts the car exactly in the position it should be. I would have a lot more respect for Mercedes if they went "we need a solid number 2 driver for the constructor points who won't piss off our resident primadonna" instead of harping on about equal status. Of course he has equal status, he's going to be consistently 3/10ths slower than Lewis which makes him his own handicap with no team involvement needed.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Norns posted:

I'd love to know what the hole in the nose of the RB13 is for.

Sky F1 asked Adrian Newey about this yesterday, it's not actually a duct that leads anywhere, it's just a little loop of bodywork that allows them to have a higher nose while still complying with the regulation that requires the bottom of the tip of the nose to be a certain maximum distance from the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx6HDIYFp3k&t=718s

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 28, 2017

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Jamsque posted:

Sky F1 asked Adrian Newey about this yesterday, it's not actually a duct that leads anywhere, it's just a little loop of bodywork that allows them to have a higher nose while still complying with the regulation that requires the bottom of the tip of the nose to be a certain maximum distance from the ground.

Hmmm.... I'd be highly sceptical of anyone talking about their cars at this time

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Food for thought: McLaren has almost burnt through its season allotment of power units in two days.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Food for thought: McLaren has almost burnt through its season allotment of power units in two days.

During the season they would repair these engines. They are only being replaced because it's faster.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

300 grid spot penalty for Nando at Melbourne?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The engines are sealed during the season, if it's hosed it's bearings because of oil starvation that engine would be done.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

300 grid spot penalty for Nando at Melbourne?

Didn't they finally close this loophole after Spa last year?

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

1500quidporsche posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it now. On the whole Bottas outperformed Massa, but any time the Williams was put up higher than it really should've been it was Massa at the wheel.

It should've been Massa in the Mercedes.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

1500quidporsche posted:

Didn't they finally close this loophole after Spa last year?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126395

Yes pretty much straight after Hamilton abused its power.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I honestly think the far, far bigger issue for McLaren is the amount of testing they're missing. As far as I know they haven't even pushed the car yet. Even if Honda nailed the redesign they were still going to be at a power deficit to Mercedes. They need their chassis to be absolutely on point and I don't see that happening. Also, it looks bad.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Honda doing a radical redesign was always going to throw up problems the fact they came in a year after everyone else and didn't instantly make a design similar to the curb stomping mercedes design sums up everything. They've been behind the 8 ball every since and it doesn't seem to have an end in sight.

I am sure over the season if they're at the tail end of the midfield they will have moved to the low end scoring positons but its like an endless cycle for mclaren in this hybrid era.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The lovely paint job probably costs them 30hp itself.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Powershift posted:

The lovely paint job probably costs them 30hp itself.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Their incompetence cost them 300, so 30 ain't so bad really

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dubs posted:

Their incompetence cost them 300, so 30 ain't so bad really

It adds up though. the paint job cost 30hp, putting "Stoffel Vandoorne" on the side of the car probably adds 5lbs. hauling zak's hubris around another 25lbs. the ghost of Ron hanging off the back really fucks up the aero.

Before you know it, they're fighting renault for 16th.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

I honestly think the far, far bigger issue for McLaren is the amount of testing they're missing. As far as I know they haven't even pushed the car yet. Even if Honda nailed the redesign they were still going to be at a power deficit to Mercedes. They need their chassis to be absolutely on point and I don't see that happening. Also, it looks bad.

From what I've read this test was more or less to confirm data they've seen in the wind tunnel and the real bits are planned for Australia. Its lovely but at least the issue seems to be simple in-house mechanical parts with short lead times and not the complicated bits like batteries or a turbo. Have to see how tomorrow goes before calling it a total disaster.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It won't go well. If anything, expect significant mileage next week. I'm not surprised by these issues.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

From what I've read this test was more or less to confirm data they've seen in the wind tunnel and the real bits are planned for Australia. Its lovely but at least the issue seems to be simple in-house mechanical parts with short lead times and not the complicated bits like batteries or a turbo. Have to see how tomorrow goes before calling it a total disaster.

I know I sound like a broken record but I want to know what the hell they're doing with that floor. Nobody else is hiding anything that obvious.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

It won't go well. If anything, expect significant mileage next week. I'm not surprised by these issues.

I agree given its a clean sheet design and the limit on testing these things were bound to creep up. Its really hard to crucify them on oil system issues when its a from scratch design and most road cars suffer from issues when put them under load.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I agree given its a clean sheet design and the limit on testing these things were bound to creep up. Its really hard to crucify them on oil system issues when its a from scratch design and most road cars suffer from issues when put them under load.

It's hugely disappointing and makes them look bad though...

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
but they doesn't change their reputation so.......

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's hugely disappointing and makes them look bad though...

It does but on a list of "preferred lovely reliability issues" I'd think oil system issues is near the top. Also not sure how much more disappointing you can get after 2015.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Joylawn Palmer posted:

Jolyon Palmer felt the higher speeds through corners were "the biggest difference with the new cars".

He added: "We have a lot more drag this year, the straight-line speed doesn't feel particularly impressive.

Thats it. They need to drop the fuel flow restriction and turn up the boost if this is the case. There is no reason we shouldnt have 1300 horsepower f1 cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This is a cool and good idea.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/brawn-wants-non-points-f1-race-to-experiment-with-race-format-878433/

• Locked thread