Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Freezing time and influencing hordes of people to die, just to gently caress with her mind counts as subtle now?

I haven't seen the latest episode if he does something in it but

I think Being X is implying his influence over the situation is greater than it is to mess with Tanya. The war was building up anyway. Being X just nudges things so that Tanya is always stuck at ground zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The impression i have is that being X can basically tell people what to do through divine intervention. Like the insane reseacher was directly talked to by being X much like he talks to Tanya every now and then. Its possible he also talked to Mary Sue since where the hell did she get the idea to get a latest model of a gun to her dad, a dad who has a vendetta against a certain god hating girl. WW1 happening while possible is being Xs fault, it can also just be the natural progression history is taking anyway. Tanyas a bit paranoid about being X and has no way to know what he actually does. Tanya will blame being X if she even stubs her foot basically.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 28, 2017

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Iretep posted:

Tanya will blame being X if she even stubs her foot basically.
Well he's such a prick that I wouldn't put it past him.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oh yeah I never mentioned but Tanya has a ton of uppers on hand.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Namtab posted:

Huh interesting.

A quick glance at wikipedia seems to indicate that for amphetamine at least, it wasn't even discovered to act as a stimulant until 1927, and wasn't sold as medicine until 1934. I'm pretty sure they would mostly have had access to booze and opiates in WWI.

Looks like amphetamines and meth didn't enter the scene until WWII where they saw use by both sides and heavy use by the Germans and Japanese.

I guess Tanya made friends with some chemists on the side at some point (and somehow knew how to cook speed and meth).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I can accept all the countries have different names and World War 1 never happened, I think I can accept the adoption of meth as a combat drug happening a couple decades earlier.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
They also have magic. "Courage/Bravery" is a fairly basic D&D spell to put into potion form.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I always assumed she just used heroin since that was being used around ww1 and before. Apparently germans even tried to use it as a super soldier drug, where the whole heroin "heroic" name came from. To create fearless soldiers that couldnt feel pain.
Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKEnaJPviTM

Iretep fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 28, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

They also have magic. "Courage/Bravery" is a fairly basic D&D spell to put into potion form.
That's not how her magic works. She has pills. Lots of pills

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The only uppers Tanya has in the anime are coffee and her hatred for Being X.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Raenir Salazar posted:

Like Edward Elric being.... because of not liking milk?

That's a real thing, in that calcium deficiency when you're younger impairs growth. The Japanese government encouraged milk drinking starting in the Meiji period because traditional diets were low in calcium and milk (as a byproduct of encouraging cattle ranching for beef) was an easy way to add calcium. But the majority of the Japanese populace is lactose intolerant or will develop lactose intolerance later in life, so characters who hate milk but are told to drink it are a minor stock character.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Being X is like a subtle, less aggressive version of Re:Zero's Jealous Witch.

The Jealous Witch seems to actively set up bullshit for Subaru to deal with along with a few passive effects, while Being X only uses passive, or at least subtle and background, effects except for specific cases.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Namtab posted:

If that's the reason for her crazy-eyes battle frenzies, I like that a lot more, as I've always thought that was a bit at odds with her regular personality and outlook. Cool.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Hasn't the magic all been basically telekinesis-based, though? All I can think of are flight, shields, and magic bullets, which are manipulating kinetic energy, so I don't know if charms are within scope for the magic here.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hoobajoo posted:

If that's the reason for her crazy-eyes battle frenzies, I like that a lot more, as I've always thought that was a bit at odds with her regular personality and outlook. Cool.

Hasn't the magic all been basically telekinesis-based, though? All I can think of are flight, shields, and magic bullets, which are manipulating kinetic energy, so I don't know if charms are within scope for the magic here.

Don't forget optical spells which appear to range from illusions to laser beams.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

kirtar posted:

Don't forget optical spells which appear to range from illusions to laser beams.

Oh yeah, I forgot the illusion. When were there lasers, though?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Sound illusions too. Remember the distorted sound of the fake interviewer?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Brainiac Five posted:

That's a real thing, in that calcium deficiency when you're younger impairs growth. The Japanese government encouraged milk drinking starting in the Meiji period because traditional diets were low in calcium and milk (as a byproduct of encouraging cattle ranching for beef) was an easy way to add calcium. But the majority of the Japanese populace is lactose intolerant or will develop lactose intolerance later in life, so characters who hate milk but are told to drink it are a minor stock character.

This was a fun thing here too, learning the hard way that I have some manifestation of lactose intolerance.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

hoobajoo posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot the illusion. When were there lasers, though?

Several places, although chapter 11 of the manga has a box that talks about different offensive spells and describes optical spells as being able to generate a heat beam.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Isn't the combat drugs supposed to be linked to her not growing up in the books? I think someone posted that. A contrivance for a X year old girl to look like a kid is suspect so it's a detail I am fine with them never addressing in the anime.

hoobajoo posted:

She makes crazy eyes when the deaths of those geeks was reported to her and she probably wasn't tripping balls. Tayna is incredibly spiteful. She lives to spite God itself. Those dweebs slighted her.

She's incredibly powerful so she can get away with treating battles like a game, so she does. She makes enemies her punching bag because she's frustrated with her entire existence at this point.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 2, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Most of the time she doesent really treat fights like a game. She doesent want to be in danger at all but at the same time she doesent want to look like a coward. If she is eager to kill people its mostly about her being eager to get promotions than actually wanting to kill someone. The show skips a lot of Tanyas inner justifications so you mostly get her outward appearance on subjects. Like she rationalises that she hates fighting, but at the same time she wants to be a good soldier to get more promotions. This makes her seem really bloodthirsty because she loves getting promotions a bit too much. Reading the LN I always get a impression she is kind of like a nonserial killer version of Kira from jojo. She acts her role very well but all she really wants is to live in peace. Of course she also hates incompetent people to a high degree and will get them killed if allowed to so its not like she is a saint either.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The scene where she lands on the plane and tossed the gernade in is fresh in my mind. No one was watching her either, so it wasn't a display.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
We are getting to be in a very war crimes-ish timeline here. Sorry Mary-Sue, it won't be your turn to be a magical girl quite yet.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Nine of Eight posted:

We are getting to be in a very war crimes-ish timeline here. Sorry Mary-Sue, it won't be your turn to be a magical girl quite yet.

Well, given the time period we're speaking of she hasn't committed any war crimes that I've noticed yet. We'll see as the series goes on though.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure that killing everyone in a city because "we told them to evacuate" definitely counts for war crimes. Not to mention targeting refugees escaping said city with artillery because they could potentially become enemy combattants .
Tanya is relying on a hell of a flimsy logical argument and knows it. That's why you could see her trying to pretend she was simply following orders unthinkingly in her superior's office.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

FriggenJ posted:

Well, given the time period we're speaking of she hasn't committed any war crimes that I've noticed yet. We'll see as the series goes on though.

She hasn't technically committed war crimes, and technically right is the best kind of right. There isn't an international law about not being a dirtbag while following the other laws.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Man, Tanya up to now has been pretty evil but in an entertaining badass kind of way. "Tanya the Evil" never really struck me as that apt a title. But I think this was the first time I felt like she was just straight up an evil monster.

Which is good storytelling imo. I was starting to root for her a bit too much.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Those people are idiots. What did they expect would happen? Not that I condone killing civilians in any way, but surely they must have at least suspected that the Empire wouldn't just go "welp, I guess we can't do anything" and leave. Hiding behind civilians is extremely cowardly and is deliberately putting them in danger and should be considered a warcrime in itself. Why not put up some signs that say "please murder our plump, juicy and above all unarmed people" while they're at it? Besides it's totally-not world war 1 with pretty much no good guys and sure as hell the republic wouldn't have hesitated any more than the empire did before "justifying" bombarding empire cities who sprung up partisans. Shooting refugees as they flee is pretty drat awful regardless however.

In Tanya's favor it doesn't appear that she's enjoying it at all. Unlike when she sends undesirable subordinates to die in a bunker. :v:

I wonder who the breakdown guy shot at hmmmm.

Also god is totally cheating by saving that guy and it's great. He's going to be mildly upset when he sees that she's carrying the gun his daughter gave him and using it to conquer the place though. :allears:

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 3, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Poil posted:

Those people are idiots. What did they expect would happen? Not that I condone killing civilians in any way, but surely they must have at least suspected that the Empire wouldn't just go "welp, I guess we can't do anything" and leave. Hiding behind civilians is extremely cowardly and is deliberately putting them in danger and should be considered a warcrime in itself. Why not put up some signs that say "please murder our plump, juicy and above all unarmed people" while they're at it? Besides it's totally-not world war 1 with pretty much no good guys and sure as hell the republic wouldn't have hesitated any more than the empire did before "justifying" bombarding empire cities who sprung up partisans. Shooting refugees as they flee is pretty drat awful regardless however.

In Tanya's favor it doesn't appear that she's enjoying it at all. Unlike when she sends undesirable subordinates to die in a bunker. :v:

I wonder who the breakdown guy shot at hmmmm.

Also god is totally cheating by saving that guy and it's great. He's going to be mildly upset when he sees that she's carrying the gun his daughter gave him and using it to conquer the place though. :allears:

We don't even know if breakdown guy is the one who shot. If it was supposed to be him trying to shoot at Tanya, that could easily have been her executing him.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Had to have been execution. He was death-flagging hard the whole episode.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

kirtar posted:

We don't even know if breakdown guy is the one who shot. If it was supposed to be him trying to shoot at Tanya, that could easily have been her executing him.

I thought breakdown guy just gave in and followed orders, that's what the cut to the angry kid suggested, that he recognised the need to follow orders out of fear while still absolutely hating it.

Nephthys posted:

Man, Tanya up to now has been pretty evil but in an entertaining badass kind of way. "Tanya the Evil" never really struck me as that apt a title. But I think this was the first time I felt like she was just straight up an evil monster.

Which is good storytelling imo. I was starting to root for her a bit too much.

I'm still rooting for Tanya. The paper she wrote was probably just another avenue into reaching a nice cushy HQ job probably interpreting international law to help the war effort and was legitimately showing contempt for the orders and strategy through her mockery of it and seemed annoyed to have to put up with it.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I mean maybe, but she does kind of start dancing around the room when she gets the order.

I initially thought it was sarcasm and she didn't want to have to do it but shes the one who came up with the entire strategy in the first place.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I havent actually read this far so its just speculation: The way id see it is Tanya enjoys orders that make her look good, i doupt she enjoyed the masacre all that much since while it makes her look good for doing lovely orders, it also taints her reputation for actually doing it. As far as why she released the paper, you have to keep in mind Tanya knows how germany acted back then, their dogma for this kind of situation was to basically use extreme violence in hopes of stopping any more rebels from appearing. See belgium during ww1 as an example of how well it worked. The papers point was probably more to just reduce the propaganda that will be used by the enemy over the incident. They can claim the law was on their side more easier this way. They even produced the video of the rebels shooting a prisoner for their own propaganda over the incident. Basically reduce producing propaganda material that will make the enemy hate you and try to spin the incident to make the rebels seem like they had it coming.
Edit: Of course Tanya has a very big fixation on people being rational too, so her hopes might have also been that the people in town would do the rational thing and leave when asked to. Of course she has been consistently bee proven wrong that no, people arent all that rational.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 4, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's a possible 'Machiavellian Satire' interpretation, "This is the best way to take a city... [So maybe we shouldn't be taking cities :v: ]".

I honestly can't tell how I'm supposed to interpret that scene in the office either; the idea that she's trying to convince herself she's just following orders and is otherwise distasteful of it is plausible, but then is the dancing a form of mockery?

This would fit in the narrative that she's trapped by her own desire to retire to a cushy safe position and nothing illustrates that better than being forced to carry out her own thought experiment against her wishes and this being just the tip of the iceberg.

She could really just be monstrously "Sepp Piper" levels of evil; but I'm not sure yet.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The LN starts with mentioning the stanford prison experiment and then the salary man says yes, i really love this experiment basically. His whole morality is that he does what he is to expected in his role without letting his feelings interfere with it. As a salary man he is compleatly remorseless and maximises profits. As a soldier she continues this thought where she does as she has been ordered like a perfect soldier should.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Tanya doesn't necessarily enjoy being sadistic and evil. She just takes rightful pride in a job well done. And her job is to be a monster.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

"Evil? I am not malevolent! I simply am." - Apocalypse

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This was the best episode so far. Everything that this show is going for was so perfectly depicted in this episode.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
If I'm honest, I thought this was going to be garbage when I heard the concept.

I was wrong as gently caress. Probably my favorite show in a while.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Same, and I thought it looked garbage too. So much nicer in motion and so much more interesting than it seemed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Sarrisan posted:

If I'm honest, I thought this was going to be garbage when I heard the concept.

I was wrong as gently caress. Probably my favorite show in a while.

Yeah, on paper it sounds like the trashiest edgelord bait, but its got the looks and the writing to pull it off.

• Locked thread