Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Aleph Null posted:

It's Daisy's turn.

Her pep talk to Simmons in the last episode was very Coulson-like. "This is not a sacrifice play" is something he would say (and probably did).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Aleph Null posted:

Canonically? For real?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoAPSBMQEKU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

notthegoatseguy posted:

It isn't like it matters, and it isn't just a "lol AOS is the black sheep". The Netflix series aren't referenced in the movies at all, and they seem to be taking place even before Avengers 2 (there's no Ultron mentions, no Civil War, Ant Man, etc... so it is clearly still in the aftermath of Avengers 1). Giancarlo Esposito said he was offered a part in a Marvel TV show and he really wanted to eventually portray the character in the films and according to him, they made it clear that it would never happen and even if it did, there'd be no guarantee he'd be cast in the film. Which is a shame because the petty feud between Marvel Television and Marvel Movies is just getting in the way of potentially having a great interconnected universe.

That said, some may argue that the films barely reference eachother and some times even contradict each other or gloss over storylines from previous films. So its possible that is all just wishful thinking.

The logistical chaos that would come from having the movies, network shows, and Netflix shows all interweave more seems like more than enough reason for them not to.

Like, I love the MCU and I'd love to see some more cross-medium crossovers but I totally get why you can't really work that out between what is basically a dozen different show runners and production teams. Like, if there was one person running everything then sure, you could maybe do it, but there isn't. The people who made Guardians of the Galaxy 2 have no idea what the AOS team is doing in the last part of the season or what the people doing Iron Fist are doing. Its impossible.

And it kind of flies parallel to what any comic fan has seen in comics when the continuity between different books because a jumbled mess incredibly quick because different writers want to do different things. And why most crossover events in comics tend to be messes.

I have my hopes. My dream remains that they make a Black Widow/AOS movie but I recognize why logistically that probably can't work while AOS is on the air. I'd love to see the Defenders pop in in Infinity War but I get why that's impossible if we aren't even sure when The Defenders will air. Its just way more complicated than just coming up with storyline ideas to connect them. And that's without even considering that the cast and crew have different, non MCU, projects and lives.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/SpoilerTV/status/836313419544322048

Shame this isn't May's look in the Framework.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Is she playing Jubilee?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Netflix series aren't referenced in the movies at all, and they seem to be taking place even before Avengers 2 (there's no Ultron mentions, no Civil War, Ant Man, etc... so it is clearly still in the aftermath of Avengers 1).

This is because, despite the fact that there are months/years between shows, the Netflix shows are actually all taking place around the same time, which happens to be post Avengers 1. There's probably no more than a couple of months between the start of Dardevil Season 1 and the end of Luke Cage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if post Defenders they'll time jump the shows a bit and reference all the poo poo that's gone down in the films. I mean, Spider-man is gonna be based out of NYC, that'll be noteworthy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The way it seems right now, the films are the core canon, and the TV shows are deuterocanon. They don't want to make it so that you have to have seen a full TV show to know what's going on in the films, and TV is produced faster so the movies can't have scripts and filming change to retrofit something that the TV shows do after the films have already started production. So you can have the TV content reference the movies all you want and still be considered the same universe as long as they don't directly conflict, but you can't have the films reference the TV shows unless it's really subtly in passing.

Personally I think the AoS episode that took place immediately before Age of Ultron really augmented the movie because you got the story behind how they found the base in the beginning, and the story behind the helicarrier at the end. But that's pretty much all they can do with this sort of setup: Use the shows to set up the movies. Granted there's no reason they can't just throw in a Daredevil or Punisher cameo with a short summary of backstory, but there's no way the films can be made consistent with the shows unless the shows themselves are planned way in advance too, which isn't viable when TV shows can be canceled or submit to the whims of network airing schedules.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

What I don't get is this:

Since Agents of Shield debuted, Paul Rudd, Chris Pratt, Martin Freeman, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johanssen, Benedict Cuberbach, and Brie Larson have all appeared on Saturday Night Live. I know actors can be busy but the idea that NO ONE from the movies has been willing or able to appear on this show for the past four years is laughable. Is Jeremy Renner really that expensive a get that they couldn't have done a Hawkeye/Mockingbird team-up episode? What about Kat Dennings or Stellen Skarsgard?

Maybe it wouldn't work, it's not as though the two Jamie Alexander episodes were series highlights. But at this point I can only assume that there haven't been crossovers because Marvel (or whoever) don't WANT a crossover. Blaming 'timing' seems disingenuous.

On the one hand I love this show and think it stands on it's own, but God knows it could use the ratings bump.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

You seriously underestimate how much tv and movie people hate each other. For each of those actors to do tv is to degrade their brand. TV is simply beneath them.

Before you try to trot out Sherlock, British TV is another animal entirely.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
SNL is a classic American hallmark program. The most prestigious and and high-end Hollywood stars have hosted the shows, and even if the seasons kind of get shittier and shittier through the years, getting asked to host is still a rite of passage for up-and-coming actors; it means they're rubbing shoulders with the likes of Tom Hanks and Nicole Kidman.

I like Agents of SHIELD, but Agents of SHIELD is...not that.

And that's not even getting into the TV division/film division split within Marvel studios themselves. If Joss and Jed Whedon weren't brothers, I don't know if we would've ever gotten any connection between the two.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

MCU Movieverse is a complete clusterfuck and I'd think the people in charge of this show would appreciate not being beholden to random guest appearances. I like that this show has it's own thing going on. They've actually managed to come up with a rather loving deep sheet of characters. Tell me Ward showing up isn't a better thing to mark out for than whatever character had three minutes of screentime in a movie. There was a thing about awesome guest appearances for the upcoming arc, and it was Deathlok and Gideon and not that one lady from How I Met Your Mother.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Yakmouth posted:

What I don't get is this:

Since Agents of Shield debuted, Paul Rudd, Chris Pratt, Martin Freeman, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johanssen, Benedict Cuberbach, and Brie Larson have all appeared on Saturday Night Live. I know actors can be busy but the idea that NO ONE from the movies has been willing or able to appear on this show for the past four years is laughable. Is Jeremy Renner really that expensive a get that they couldn't have done a Hawkeye/Mockingbird team-up episode? What about Kat Dennings or Stellen Skarsgard?

Maybe it wouldn't work, it's not as though the two Jamie Alexander episodes were series highlights. But at this point I can only assume that there haven't been crossovers because Marvel (or whoever) don't WANT a crossover. Blaming 'timing' seems disingenuous.

Nick Fury and Maria Hill from the movies also turned up.
As did a HYDRA bit character from
Winter Soldier.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

I wasn't thinking Sherlock so much as Two Broke Girls :)

I'm not expecting RDJ any time soon, but there are actors in the films who don't consider TV to be beneath them. Sebastian Stan had a reoccurring role on ABC's Once Upon A Time. Paul Rudd still makes regular TV appearances.

All I'm saying is that whenever Kevin Feige or Jeb Whedon or whoever get asked about this sort of thing they all make it sound like a task of Herculean proportions, and it's really not.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Andrew_1985 posted:

Nick Fury and Maria Hill from the movies also turned up.
As did a HYDRA bit character from
Winter Soldier.

President Ellis, as well. I'm thinking slightly higher on the pecking order.

Sam Jackson was three years ago, now. He showed up in Epiode 2 and 22 of the first season (am I remembering that right?)
We haven't had much intersection lately.

Again, I think AoS is great. But a couple of cameos could bring in viewers and save the show from cancellation, assuming it's not already too late.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Yakmouth posted:

I wasn't thinking Sherlock so much as Two Broke Girls :)

I'm not expecting RDJ any time soon, but there are actors in the films who don't consider TV to be beneath them. Sebastian Stan had a reoccurring role on ABC's Once Upon A Time. Paul Rudd still makes regular TV appearances.

All I'm saying is that whenever Kevin Feige or Jeb Whedon or whoever get asked about this sort of thing they all make it sound like a task of Herculean proportions, and it's really not.

The mechanics of it aren't, overcoming the culture divide between TV and film is next to impossible.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I just find it funny that Star Wars has done a better job of tying it's television shows into the movies than the MCU has.

Saw Gerrera in Rogue One originally appeared in the Clone Wars cartoon and there were also several references to the Rebels cartoon in the movie too (the main ship from the show can be seen in the back ground at the rebel base and Chopper, the droid from the show can be seen scurrying around too).

It's not much, but it's more than this show is probably ever going to get from the movie side.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Having AoS and the Netflix shows in the same universe doesn't make a whole lot of sense. SHEILD seemed very concerned about the lady who had knives for fingers, you would think the might want to check up the super strong PI who doesn't even bother hiding her powers.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Need an episode of Agents of SHIELD narrated by Michael Peņa.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

STAC Goat posted:

The logistical chaos that would come from having the movies, network shows, and Netflix shows all interweave more seems like more than enough reason for them not to.

Like, I love the MCU and I'd love to see some more cross-medium crossovers but I totally get why you can't really work that out between what is basically a dozen different show runners and production teams. Like, if there was one person running everything then sure, you could maybe do it, but there isn't. The people who made Guardians of the Galaxy 2 have no idea what the AOS team is doing in the last part of the season or what the people doing Iron Fist are doing. Its impossible.

If only there was a parent company that could direct downwards and coordinate all of their various TV and movie efforts. They could maybe name it after themselves even. How's Marvel Studios sound?

quote:

And it kind of flies parallel to what any comic fan has seen in comics when the continuity between different books because a jumbled mess incredibly quick because different writers want to do different things. And why most crossover events in comics tend to be messes.

Okay but the people who only watch movies and TV far far far outnumber the people who also read the comic books. Sorry but the TV and movies aren't "for" you but for people who like watching comic book movies and tv shows. The fact that the comic books exist and don't share continuity or whatever literally doesn't matter to the majority of people who go watch Avengers in theaters after they've seen Iron Man and Thor. The fact that the comics exist doesn't answer the questions many people have who watch both the TV and movies. One of which is:

"There is an evil spawn of Satan/book of evil/mcguffin that is literally destroying the world. Why isn't Iron Man and friends helping or doing anything?"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

The mechanics of it aren't, overcoming the culture divide between TV and film is next to impossible.
Not if you want the EGOT :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Honestly the end of this Darkhold arc should be them giving it to someone who works for Wong which explains why the book is in Dr. Strange.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

achillesforever6 posted:

Honestly the end of this Darkhold arc should be them giving it to someone who works for Wong which explains why the book is in Dr. Strange.

Was it in the movie? I don't remember any references or seeing it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

You seriously underestimate how much tv and movie people hate each other. For each of those actors to do tv is to degrade their brand. TV is simply beneath them.

That's changed, drastically, in recent years. The key, however, is there are certain TV networks that are becoming acceptable, even desirable, for fairly large actors while network stations like ABC.. not so much. More and more you're going to see A list talent in places like HBO and Netflix; all of Hollywood knows that theatrical film is dying and the only thing propping it up, truly, is China and their inexperience with movies that can be recycled to them.

Making cameos on a TV show isn't the stigma it once was. The problem with Agents of SHIELD is the whole Marvel internal politics problems (and the fact Pearlmutter, ejected from the MCU, is still involved in TV) and a frosty relationship between dying networks like ABC and up and comers that are dominating the future landscape like Netflix; Netflix was really a "clean start" for Marvel TV, with Agents always being a red-headed stepchild after season 1 when it wasn't a megahit out of the gate (which we can all agree is understandable given season 1).

But really the concept of TV being beneath actors is going to be changing more and more. You won't see the super-mega-A list like Tom Cruise doing a Netflix series soon (well, actually, maybe he might if it was sci-fi and nuts) but you're going to see more and more highly respectable actors even preferring TV over movies in the future. To be honest this change is for the best for everyone; TV quality has gone way up, streaming changed the medium; it's a way more actor-friendly environment, too.

ED: Yes I know Marvel movies have been breaking movie records as have several in recent years; but I mean the industry as a whole. Wasn't Disney something like 40%+ of all movie revenue last year?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 28, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Was it in the movie? I don't remember any references or seeing it.

It wasn't explicitly shown, but the Darkhold (also called The Book of Sins) is one of the books that would have been kept locked in that forbidden book section.

The book is basically the reason vampires, werewolves and other creatures like that exist in the Marvel Comic Universe. Kind of like the Necronomicon, but more prolific in what it creates (instead of just generic "Evil" being released to gently caress around with Bruce Campbell).

There was a lot of speculation about a Dr. Strange crossover at some point in timing with the movie, but it never happened (closest we got was Aida 1.0 using magic to save Fitz/Coulson/Robbie).

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Wasnt there a book very noticably missing from Wong's collection?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OB_Juan posted:

Wasnt there a book very noticably missing from Wong's collection?

No, but the book of Cagliostro that everyone was fighting over contained references to the Darkhold.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

No, but the book of Cagliostro that everyone was fighting over contained references to the Darkhold.

Pretty sure that there is a missing book from all those chained in place.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

EmptyVessel posted:

Pretty sure that there is a missing book from all those chained in place.

Yeah, the villain stole it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
edit: nm I was wrong

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yeah, the villain stole it.

Nope. Kaecilius only stole the two pages he ripped out of the book. There is a visible space where another book is missing.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

notthegoatseguy posted:

It isn't like it matters, and it isn't just a "lol AOS is the black sheep". The Netflix series aren't referenced in the movies at all, and they seem to be taking place even before Avengers 2 (there's no Ultron mentions, no Civil War, Ant Man, etc... so it is clearly still in the aftermath of Avengers 1). Giancarlo Esposito said he was offered a part in a Marvel TV show and he really wanted to eventually portray the character in the films and according to him, they made it clear that it would never happen and even if it did, there'd be no guarantee he'd be cast in the film. Which is a shame because the petty feud between Marvel Television and Marvel Movies is just getting in the way of potentially having a great interconnected universe.

That said, some may argue that the films barely reference eachother and some times even contradict each other or gloss over storylines from previous films. So its possible that is all just wishful thinking.

They just referenced Doctor Strange 2 episodes ago and magic now being a thing in the world in like the first or second episode of LMD so it's literally on par time wise with what's going on in the MCU

80s James Hetfield fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 28, 2017

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

80s James Hetfield posted:

They just referenced Doctor Strange 2 episodes ago and magic now being a thing in the world in like the first or second episode of LMD so it's literally on par time wise with what's going on in the MCU

I know AOS is on time with the MCU but the Netflix series clearly aren't. As someone else suggested they probably all take place in the course of a couple months.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That's the scene he first sees the library. There's a very noticeable book missing yeah, and the villain only stole out a few pages from the top left book.

But the dialog that happens immediately after this scene are something like:

"Are these books forbidden?"
"No knowledge is forbidden here, only certain practices."

I find it really hard to believe that that missing book is the Darkhold though. I mean you have this enclave of magicians all striving to learn more about the world, do you really think that none of them would have read the Darkhold before it was stolen? I'd have imagined that literally every single one of them would have read the book, either that or all of them would be dead from trying to kill each other to squash opponents or whatever. I think the more reasonable answer is just that someone checked it out. They weren't locked or forbidden or anything, they say as much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My assumption would be the Sorcerers would be able to avoid the things inside the Darkhold that would corrupt others. That's a pretty common thing in Fantasy when dealing with cursed and forbidden objects, that the unskilled fall easily to their corruption, but those with power and knowlage will not.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Wasn't the whole point of Doctor Strange that there is evil magic and it corrupts absolutely, and that trying to use those magic techniques, even for good, leads to your doom? If the Darkhold can compel you to do evil magic with it just by reading it, I can't imagine they'd let neophyte Sorcerers get anywhere near it, it would probably be reserved for the Sorcerer Supreme, just like the MacGuffin book pages from the movie.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I know AOS is on time with the MCU but the Netflix series clearly aren't. As someone else suggested they probably all take place in the course of a couple months.

Everyone says this, but I got the impression that there was some time between S1 and S2 of Daredevil. Their law firm had time to earn a reputation as helping people who can't pay with cash, and gather a ton of clients, that didn't happen over a weekend. Also they kinda skimmed over it, but both Fisk and Castle's trials happened. In real life that would have taken years, but you have to assume at least a few months each.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Anson Mount (Hell on Wheels) has been cast as Black Bolt in Inhumans.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/inhumans/the-inhumans-casts-hell-on-wheels-actor-anson-mount-as-black-bolt-a149282

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Klungar posted:

Wasn't the whole point of Doctor Strange that there is evil magic and it corrupts absolutely, and that trying to use those magic techniques, even for good, leads to your doom? If the Darkhold can compel you to do evil magic with it just by reading it, I can't imagine they'd let neophyte Sorcerers get anywhere near it, it would probably be reserved for the Sorcerer Supreme, just like the MacGuffin book pages from the movie.

The Ancient One used magic from the Dormommu realm and did just fine. No idea if she was Sorcerer Supreme the whole time or became Sorcerer Supreme because of it. I think they just tell people that so they won't think they are ready, when they clearly aren't. Also, Dr Strange grabbed a freakin' infinity stone and had absolutely no trouble not murdering hisself with it. He was just some dude at that point. Like, he was a fast learner and dedicated, but still just some guy you know. Yet he used the time manipulation in clever ways and did not destroy reality or break time forever everywhere.
Contrast that to the Collector's assistant in Guardians of the Galaxy who blew up when she touched the power stone.

Am I supposed to care about the IMAX Inhumans thing? I really don't. The royal family drama does not seem exciting at all. Especially if they aren't going to tie it into the existing AOS Inhuman lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

I know it's unfair to compare movie props and TV show props, however having recently seen Dr Strange my partner and I laughed at the thought of the Darkhold fitting in along side those other library books.

Everytime there's a lingering shot of the Darkhold on screen, one of us usually quotes "Bart's Earring" with a "sparkle sparkle" due to how ridiculously fabulous and cheap the writing on the front cover is.

• Locked thread