Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Motronic posted:

Only person under 60 potentially.

I'm 56 and I've written like 5 checks in the last 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Sundae posted:

Am I the only person on planet earth who still carries a checkbook with him? :confused:

I prefer checkbooks for paying bills, because that way I know when the money goes out and how much. I'm perpetually worried that automatic deductions will slip a decimal point to the right and drain my bank account without notifying me.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have a checkbook because I do activities with animals, which means they're about 20 years behind the rest of the world technology-wise so they're either all just starting to use PayPal or still tack on a ridiculous charge if you want to pay with a credit card.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Problem! posted:

I have a checkbook because I do activities with animals, which means they're about 20 years behind the rest of the world technology-wise so they're either all just starting to use PayPal or still tack on a ridiculous charge if you want to pay with a credit card.

What animal will accept a check?

Only the marsupials even have pockets to carry them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

spog posted:

What animal will accept a check?

Ducks, obviously, how else would you pay for their bill?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Volmarias posted:

Wow that's... impressive.

I carry checks because I use them to pay my therapist and I forget to take the check book out of my jacket pockets.

I also use them to pay rent, because it makes withholding it that much easier.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Volmarias posted:

I audibly groaned.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
"AFLACK!"

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Solkanar512 posted:

That gal at Uber seemed angry at a whole lot of folks, but I don't don't think the issue was with her.

It probably wasn't but it's solid general advice that if you find yourself getting angry with many people in a short time, make sure to take a hard look at yourself.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

If you run into one person who's an rear end in a top hat, that guy is an rear end in a top hat.

If everyone you run into is an rear end in a top hat, you're the rear end in a top hat.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Problem! posted:

If you run into one person who's an rear end in a top hat, that guy is an rear end in a top hat.

If everyone you run into is an rear end in a top hat, you're the rear end in a top hat.

sometimes when everyone in an organisation is an rear end in a top hat to someone it is not actually because that person is an rear end in a top hat

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Yeah I mean that's an easy line to trot out for a zinger and aggregated to life it's probably true, but it just doesn't apply at the level of a single organization. Some companies/departments/whatever are riddled with assholes for various reasons, usually because leadership is an rear end in a top hat or they condone being one. If a normal person comes in and isn't treated well that doesn't mean they're an rear end in a top hat.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
I'd also say something about how the people you meet are assholes. If you're complaining about that shitbird in security who insisted you actually swipe your badge instead of tailgating, that's one thing and you're probably the rear end in a top hat. She's complaining about half the company harassing her and the other half covering it up, and yeah, while she could just be reading too much into things, it looks to me like the rear end in a top hat onus is on the company.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Also, she provides specific examples of the harassment. That's kind of important to note as well.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

USDA Choice posted:

Some companies are riddled with assholes for various reasons, usually because leadership is an rear end in a top hat or they condone being one.
Oh hey it's my company

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Volmarias posted:

Post of the year and it's not even March.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Someone's been jacking my tea from my desk. I have already applied a passive aggressive sticky note on my box, if it continues should I switch it out for laxative tea?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

This but for your desk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Problem! posted:

Someone's been jacking my tea from my desk. I have already applied a passive aggressive sticky note on my box, if it continues should I switch it out for laxative tea?

Dried habanero

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Problem! posted:

Lock the drawer.

Alternatively: Webcam and angry goons to beat up anyone who takes it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Mouse trap.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
9mm

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yZaU528v7ZY

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Problem! posted:

Try putting the note on your tea, how else would the thief be able to find it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Keetron posted:

Try putting the note on your tea, how else would the thief be able to find it.
:golfclap:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 16, 2019

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

I re started reading Dilbert today after losing touch in the early 2000s.

loving hell, it cuts to the bone, the bone, I tell you.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I was let go today. On one hand, it really sucks for all the obvious reasons. On the other hand it had become the Dead Sea of toxic workplaces. I saw the ball start rolling on my fate 4 weeks ago and I had already started talking to recruiters and friends, but nothing is really solid yet.

I've never been let go before, so give me some tips on how to handle it and not segue into homelessness. I have enough savings to last a long time, but that hopefully won't be a thing that happens.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

SpartanIV posted:

I was let go today. On one hand, it really sucks for all the obvious reasons. On the other hand it had become the Dead Sea of toxic workplaces. I saw the ball start rolling on my fate 4 weeks ago and I had already started talking to recruiters and friends, but nothing is really solid yet.

I've never been let go before, so give me some tips on how to handle it and not segue into homelessness. I have enough savings to last a long time, but that hopefully won't be a thing that happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGHX_jsuRy0

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

SpartanIV posted:

Read up on on your health insurance options. I ended up paying over $400 a month to use cobra to keep my previous insurance active, most of what I could find outside of cobra was awful. Even when I spent a brief period doing contract work, the health insurance through the contract company was terrible so I kept the cobra policy going.

Get started on the unemployment paperwork as soon as you can. It won't hurt if you end up getting a job quickly, and if not it will be nice to have. It also helps reduce stress related to the next bullet point.

It is frustrating that a lot of company's hiring practices are just slow. Sometimes weeks between phone screen, interview, and hearing back. Nothing you can do about that besides silently curse them.

If you encounter radio silence suddenly, it might not be you, it might just be the usual recruiter shuffle. For some reason recruiters seem to change jobs constantly, and anyone in the interview process might get forgotten.

Keep the slow pace in mind when a company all of a sudden desires they are in a hurry and need an answer as soon as possible from an offer. If it took them 3 weeks to interview you, them forcing them to wait an extra day on an answer is not a problem.

When you get an offer, use it to accelerate the interview process everywhere else. A lot of places will suddenly be able to bring you in for an interview on very short notice instead of having you wait 2 more weeks if you have an offer on the table.

Depending on your industry, this is a good time to do things that are hard to do when you're actually working at a corporation. Write blog posts related to your expertise, book yourself onto panels and for talks related to your industry. If you have clever ideas for side projects get them going now. Some places have strong non-completes, anti-moonlighting clauses, and "we own everything you do, even on the weekends." Some of these places ask you about these projects when you finalize the contract and let you keep any prior work you had to yourself, so getting these projects started to some degree might give you the opportunity to finish them later.

If money is a concern and if it's common in your industry, look for consulting or contract gigs to fill in some time while you go for a full time job.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sundae posted:

Also, she provides specific examples of the harassment. That's kind of important to note as well.

So did ProperCoochie. 100% of the thread responses disagreed with his specific examples. [correct me if I missed any]

Sometimes the correct story is the simple story. Think about it. We only hear his side of the story and yet literally everyone disagreed with him.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Chainclaw posted:

Depending on your industry, this is a good time to do things that are hard to do when you're actually working at a corporation. Write blog posts related to your expertise, book yourself onto panels and for talks related to your industry. If you have clever ideas for side projects get them going now. Some places have strong non-completes, anti-moonlighting clauses, and "we own everything you do, even on the weekends." Some of these places ask you about these projects when you finalize the contract and let you keep any prior work you had to yourself, so getting these projects started to some degree might give you the opportunity to finish them later.

Worth mentioning, contacts are negotiable and are often boilerplate. You can likely just say "I'm happy to sign but take this stuff out or make specific exemptions" and they will.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

crossposting from the developer thread but fitting for here:

After a restructuring a few changes are announced:
- No more working from home
- Instead of a developer from the team, this other guy who you never saw before is your scrummaster, he will not be working as a dev
- Actually, he is a former PM
- Actually, he never used Jira before, can you explain to him how it works?
- I did not get the team allocation email, for some reason

I got a new job lined up from the first of May, looks like there will be a vacation of some sort coming up.
Looking forward to the coming weeks, as two seniors already left as they saw it coming and I know of at least 3 others (incl myself) that are going to jump ship if they are serious about the murder of whatever agility was left. I'll probably be let go by that time, but yeah.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I just stumbled across one of the facilities guys putting padlocks on all the closets. I asked him whats up with this and he said that the VP of our unit wants all storage areas to be controlled access for now on. I then realized he was doing this to the coat closet. I pointed this out and he shook his head and said "yes I tried to point this out and was told to do to all closets, no exceptions". My office is now equipped with a secure, controlled access coat closet. Also my department is overseen by an idiot.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Someone switched my chair while I was out yesterday. It was set much higher than mine, the seat is no longer molded to my butt, and it's at an odd angle that hurts my quads. What the gently caress, this is war

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

John Smith posted:

So did ProperCoochie. 100% of the thread responses disagreed with his specific examples. [correct me if I missed any]

Sometimes the correct story is the simple story. Think about it. We only hear his side of the story and yet literally everyone disagreed with him.

I completely forgot that guy existed. Goldfish memory and what not. Fair enough. :)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Omne posted:

Someone switched my chair while I was out yesterday. It was set much higher than mine, the seat is no longer molded to my butt, and it's at an odd angle that hurts my quads. What the gently caress, this is war

Oh, I came into my office this morning and the whiteboard that I put up Friday was gone. Disappeared. Yanked out of the wall, didn't even unscrew the motherfucker. One of our sales reps stole my red dry-erase marker the other day because his was out and I went to go steal it back yesterday, so I thought this was retaliation.

Apparently, he didn't take it but he knew where it was. In the loft over our showroom. Up steep-rear end rickety stairs that I hate...and our general contractor knows it. And he's the only one here early enough to do it before our counter guy gets here. I found it, I remounted it, but now I have some big, ugly-rear end holes in my office wall because the screws were yanked bodily out.

Part of me is very much :golfclap: at the prank. But then I'm :fuckoff: because I spent probably close to an hour tracking it down and re-hanging it. It's not like I don't use the loving thing either.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Ugh. I've been through a similar cycle like these, before. The buffoon that you'll be reporting to just wants to make a bunch of brainless changes to justify his job's existence, and wants to show off to his peers how many people he's in charge of (which is why you've lost your work-from-home arrangements). Pure egotism. I'd say that you're in the right to consider leaving. People like him are like poo poo tornados once they land in a new department.

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I just stumbled across one of the facilities guys putting padlocks on all the closets. I asked him whats up with this and he said that the VP of our unit wants all storage areas to be controlled access for now on. I then realized he was doing this to the coat closet. I pointed this out and he shook his head and said "yes I tried to point this out and was told to do to all closets, no exceptions". My office is now equipped with a secure, controlled access coat closet. Also my department is overseen by an idiot.
I can picture it now. The new bullet point added to his Performance and Accomplishments Profile: "Enhanced the enterprise's internal security by synergizing and reinforcing all data and physical storage requirements across all divisions."

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 28, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

melon cat posted:

Ugh. I've been through a similar cycle like these, before. The buffoon that you'll be reporting to just wants to make a bunch of brainless changes to justify his job's existence, and wants to show off to his peers how many people he's in charge of (which is why you've lost your work-from-home arrangements). Pure egotism. I'd say that you're in the right to consider leaving. People like him are like poo poo tornados once they land in a new department.

It's not exactly pure egotism, it's gamesmanship on his part that is probably pretty effective in getting recognition from higher up the chain. He's an aspiring Sociopath from the Gervais principle pyramid. Still selfish, and not good for anyone but him, but if people don't bail on him it'll probably get him the desired results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

melon cat posted:

I can picture it now. The new bullet point added to his Performance and Accomplishments Profile: "Enhanced the enterprise's internal security by synergizing and reinforcing all data and physical storage requirements across all divisions."
He should really put seatbelts on the bridge.