Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think that for a lot of minorities, they hear and know that if you do not address systemic racism first or as a major part, that anything you do to improve "economic equality" automatically helps white people more than it helps them. This is, of course, a larger debate of intersectionality, but I think it's an important thing to remember.

So why can't we posit income equality with a racial angle? I don't see why it isn't irrelevant to them.

Honestly, I might ask in a post in the great race space, since I might get a clearer answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

They don't like banks. The hope is healthcare.

The hope ain't healthcare. What emotion does healthcare provoke in people? Anger, hate, division. A reminder that they are not in control over their future, that environmental and other external factors have a greater influence than their intrinsic will. When you try to sell healthcare, you're trying to sell taking away individual freedom and autonomy. It just don't loving win.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

But this ignores a huge problem of people don't understand the difference in "the rich" and them in a meaningful way.

Like I am just cautioning that there are limits to what can be achieved through populism.

That's true, and thats why its important to find a number that won't alienate larger families and upper-middle class voters, while still being effective action.

This is where theres one aspect of Obama's narratives that I genuinely liked; very early on he imprinted in peoples' heads that people below 300,000 would be paying less taxes. Obviously republicans nit picked at it regarding families, but ultimately it had a positive impact in how people perceived his pre-presidency tax plans and healthcare. It brought enough straight-facts to the discussion that the republicans made themselves look ridiculous to everyone with their clipart "single struggling businesswoman earning 300,000 a year" presentations.

It's one of the few cases where democrats actually understood Optics.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh no we might make the GOP mad. Let's just not do anything as long as they SE sociopaths are angry.

Not mad, very very happy you dense nazi propaganda spewing gently caress!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Drug re-importation isn't a "lefitst" thing per-sey though.

it was done to reduce the cost of medicine and help the poor. there are better options, like price controls, but with what we had we could pass that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

There's this really interesting tendency where "populism" is totally divorced from the historical People's Party/Populists, who were formed around a wonkish argument about the necessity of an inflationary monetary policy that was put together and promulgated by farmers. In fact, there were multiple such groups, and lengthy public debates over Greenbacks versus Free Silver. I guess Americans have just become stupider since the 1880s though.

I think they're thinking of left-populist pieces of legislation, like the Pure Food & Drug Act, Sherman Antitrust, etc.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

My Imaginary GF posted:

The hope ain't healthcare. What emotion does healthcare provoke in people? Anger, hate, division. A reminder that they are not in control over their future, that environmental and other external factors have a greater influence than their intrinsic will. When you try to sell healthcare, you're trying to sell taking away individual freedom and autonomy. It just don't loving win.

:lol:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Homeless Friend posted:

b5 you're so hateful

Calling people autistic as an insult isn't hateful, but being mean about a forum they post in is. This is obviously a Bernout idea of morality.

Majorian posted:

I'm guessing he won't agree that that's what he's saying.

Who's talking about just engaging in a performance of things, though? I think the Dems should mean it when they say that they feel the working class' pain. I think they absolutely should give a poo poo about things like economic justice, as well as social justice. I think they should propose policies that are in line with those convictions. But if they want to get elected, they at least have to convince the working class that they care about their interests more than the Republicans. For the last several years, they've been failing at that pretty spectacularly. Time for a course correction.

Plenty of people, like The Kingfish, have rejected the idea of having policies at all, but instead suggest having slogans. They refuse to admit that this is what they are doing, but we can either allow them to define reality, or empirically conclude what they believe from their actions.

PS: Having worked in union shops for the last couple years, most of my coworkers felt there was a lack of substantive support for labor rather than a lack of words supporting labor. They want policies, not proclamations.

thechosenone posted:

Has anyone here been using the historical definition of populism here besides you? if so, would you care to share the definition you use for populism?

Populism, n: A political ideology aimed at sewing together the fingers of the poster thechosenone so that the people are free from his posts while he tries to cut the stitches off. So named because of the popularity of this course of action.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

Calling people autistic as an insult isn't hateful, but being mean about a forum they post in is. This is obviously a Bernout idea of morality.

Nothing hateful about pointing out most people don't experience excessive attention to detail, as many of those with autism do.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

it was done to reduce the cost of medicine and help the poor. there are better options, like price controls, but with what we had we could pass that.

Folk don't give a poo poo about the outcome of healthcare; they care about the costs of access. When you talk about importation of drugs from canada, you're making enemies of a well-financed lobby while also telling people that government needs a greater role in their life. When you got Medicaid on the hook for $970 of a 90-day oxycotin script, and the individual pays a $5 co-pay if at all, nobody gives a poo poo if you lower oxycotin to $370 with a $5 co-pay, all they give a poo poo about is that addicts are abusing the welfare system to feed their cravings.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

I think they're thinking of left-populist pieces of legislation, like the Pure Food & Drug Act, Sherman Antitrust, etc.

The point, Majorian, is that the idea of "hurr durr let's scam people into voting for us with Donald Trump impressions" is a historical aberration, and I am pointing this out in the hopes that there are some people who are not yet lost.

Homeless Friend posted:

Nothing hateful about pointing out most people don't experience excessive attention to detail, as many of those with autism do.

So, how much did you giggle when you wrote this, and did you jump up and hug yourself when you finished?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Plenty of people, like The Kingfish, have rejected the idea of having policies at all, but instead suggest having slogans. They refuse to admit that this is what they are doing, but we can either allow them to define reality, or empirically conclude what they believe from their actions.

PS: Having worked in union shops for the last couple years, most of my coworkers felt there was a lack of substantive support for labor rather than a lack of words supporting labor. They want policies, not proclamations.

Populism, n: A political ideology aimed at sewing together the fingers of the poster thechosenone so that the people are free from his posts while he tries to cut the stitches off. So named because of the popularity of this course of action.

Don't think anyone has used this definition. Also, I have certainty in my ability to use my face, toes, or a helpful bystander to continue my posting in the meantime of such an event. (eg for bystander: Satan, The Worm that Walks, Shoggoth #330482)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

My Imaginary GF posted:

To defeat Republicans, one must learn to kill hope while winning votes.

I know you like testing messages and ideas here, but I don't think this one's a winner.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Brainiac Five posted:

The point, Majorian, is that the idea of "hurr durr let's scam people into voting for us with Donald Trump impressions" is a historical aberration, and I am pointing this out in the hopes that there are some people who are not yet lost.

So, how much did you giggle when you wrote this, and did you jump up and hug yourself when you finished?

We should win votes by appealing to emotion above all else, and then govern according to fact as we perceive them. Voters anticipate politicians to be hypocritical; all they give a poo poo about any more is whether they are a [i]genuine hypocrite or come off like Hillary Clinton.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

Free health care is hope. As long as they are receiving it.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Why the gently caress should I sweat the policy specifics when I can just pay some little Yalie bitch to write that for me after I'm elected?

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, that's the thing. If Americans are creatures of the gut who need to be controlled by technocrats, in your opinion, you are not a leftist and you need to be opposed by actual leftists. So you need to be honest with yourself instead of thinking leftism is just elaborate flimflam artistry done with noble intentions.

Furthermore, I don't actually believe everyone is a moron, because unlike you I don't cringe in fear at the thought of sunlight and so I can tell you that people are quite, quite capable of having opinions on things and they do have opinions on things and they like to share them. Sorry your belief that you're part of an elect elite is self-aggrandizing bullshit, but you'll live.

What in the world are you talking about? If anything you are the one arguing for a technocrat and elect elite.

I'll I argued for is a candidate that has some pretty simple ideas that are easy to sell to all Americans. Ever read anything by George Lakoff? Here's his take on an Obama debate back during the '12 elections:

quote:

You don’t win a presidential debate by being a policy wonk. Obama violated all the basics of presidential debating. The best defense is a good offense. You have to set the terms of the debate and press those terms. Obama failed. Here are those basics:

State your moral values. Contrast them with your opponent’s.
Project empathy and enthusiasm. Connect.
Communicate clearly and simply.
Be authentic. Say just what you believe.
Project trust.
Present an authentic view of yourself that the public can identify with and be proud of.

Obama did none of this. Instead he talked about policy details.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george-lakoff/obama-first-debate-loss_b_1938734.html

You could sub Obama for Hilary.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

thechosenone posted:

So why can't we posit income equality with a racial angle? I don't see why it isn't irrelevant to them.

Honestly, I might ask in a post in the great race space, since I might get a clearer answer.

So MIGF made like two mostly grounded in reality posts before he veered back into crazy town, and one of them was on the nature of the New Deal as being sold mostly as for white people only and functioning as such in practice. It's not that racial minorities are categorically against economic progressivism, though obviously older people generally are more conservative. It's that racial minorities know that there is a history of one-size-fits all color blind economic progressives, usually white dudes, getting into office and then leaving minorities out to dry. Now that the country is increasingly less white, this matters more and more.

This is important because as Bernie taught us, if you don't appeal well to minority groups in large numbers, you aren't winning a Democratic presidential primary.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Free health care is hope. As long as they are receiving it.

Free healthcare ain't hope, its entitlement. Crowsbeak, when I say that you are entitled to nothing, what do you feel? A majority of Americans sufficient to win the electoral college feel liberated; they feel inspired; they love freedom more than Barack Obama upon having his first slice of custard-covered apple pie since Michelle started the 'FLOTUS Your Moves' healthy lifestyle campaign.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Plenty of people, like The Kingfish, have rejected the idea of having policies at all, but instead suggest having slogans.

Well, again, I don't think he'd agree that that's what he's arguing. But even if he is, he's still basically right about what the Dems need to do when it comes to electoral strategy: convince voters who are hurting that they feel their pain. I mean, just think about it for a second: we're at a point where the Democrats need to dramatically change course in order to convince Rust Belt working class voters that they give more of a poo poo about them, than Republicans (and particularly Donald Trump!) do. That's not a great place for the Dems to be in right now.

quote:

I believe you, and I believe that that's probably true on a broader level, as well. The problem is, as you yourself have argued pretty fervently (and correctly) in the past, the Democratic platform in 2016, and Hillary Clinton's campaign platform, had significantly better policy prescriptions for the working class than Trump. The failure was in how they communicated this to a pretty important and widespread swath of working class voters. The policy positions themselves weren't the big, #1 problem, IMO. I would like to have seen them significantly more in a leftward direction, but the positions themselves should have been enough to beat Trump. The problem was, not enough voters in those demographics and areas believed Clinton or the Dems when they said they gave a poo poo about them.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 1, 2017

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

So MIGF made like two mostly grounded in reality posts before he veered back into crazy town, and one of them was on the nature of the New Deal as being sold mostly as for white people only and functioning as such in practice. It's not that racial minorities are categorically against economic progressivism, though obviously older people generally are more conservative. It's that racial minorities know that there is a history of one-size-fits all color blind economic progressives, usually white dudes, getting into office and then leaving minorities out to dry. Now that the country is increasingly less white, this matters more and more.

This is important because as Bernie taught us, if you don't appeal well to minority groups in large numbers, you aren't winning a Democratic presidential primary.

Don't get me loving started on the child welfare system, foster care, and public education. Those policies were enacted by progressive reformers as a means to kill the indian and save the white man; as a means of marginalizing catholicism. LBJ and Obama were the first Democrats to pass expansion of welfare and government control for all, rather than whites, and what was the result? Two Nixon victories, and a Trump win.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

The Kingfish posted:

Why the gently caress should I sweat the policy specifics when I can just pay some little Yalie bitch to write that for me after I'm elected?

I too want idiots running the country.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Haven't you Brainiac 5, rejected the idea of having reasons at all, but instead suggest people uncritically accept your viewpoints?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

well duh, you support perez and the hillary wing running the party

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

And, as Clinton taught us, you don't win minority votes by campaigning upon increasing government control over livelihoods. You can win white voters with that message when you dogwhistle that you mean to use it to control black people; you can't win enough of them white votes a Democratic primary. You can win enough white votes to win the R nomination and general; you can't win enough white votes with that to win the Democratic primary.

My takeaway? Circle the square and message expanded government control for whites, and increased individual liberty to minorities.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

With all you gently caress'n proposed and discuss, we now have Trump. Your way of doing politics lost, its time for you to give more and talk less while the professionals redirect the party to winning again.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

And there you go off back into crazytown, the gently caress do you people smoke down in Chicago? You should pass a law to fix that, Mr. Emmanuel.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

My Imaginary GF posted:

With all you gently caress'n proposed and discuss, we now have Trump. Your way of doing politics lost, its time for you to give more and talk less while the professionals redirect the party to winning again.

I guess this makes me want to ask, what is the failure state of the democratic party's strategy?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree 100% with the point about the New Deal and other widespread left-populist bundles of legislation in the past, and I think there's a lot of truth to the point about Bernie's campaign as well. But I also think that Sanders course-corrected on race a lot more quickly than non-Sanderistas give him credit for, too. A big part of the reason why it ended up hobbling him was because the Clinton campaign did a pretty effective job of convincing Dem primary voters that Sanders was, definitively, "bad on race."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Condiv posted:

well duh, you support perez and the hillary wing running the party

Those arent even a thing good lord you're dense.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Majorian posted:

I agree 100% with the point about the New Deal and other widespread left-populist bundles of legislation in the past, and I think there's a lot of truth to the point about Bernie's campaign as well. But I also think that Sanders course-corrected on race a lot more quickly than non-Sanderistas give him credit for, too. A big part of the reason why it ended up hobbling him was because the Clinton campaign did a pretty effective job of convincing Dem primary voters that Sanders was, definitively, "bad on race."

Then the thing is, how do we get someone with political ideology similar to sanders, whom is a minority, since if Hillary had tried that with Bernie!Obama, she would have spontaneously combusted.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Those arent even a thing good lord you're dense.

I think the idea is that Hillary and Perez were supported by Democratic establishment.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

thechosenone posted:

I think the idea is that Hillary and Perez were supported by Democratic establishment.

That's not the same thing!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, that may or may not be Kingfish's perspective (I haven't seen him argue it), but regardless, it's not my perspective. I think the Dems should feel the working class' pain, effectively communicate that they do, and then draft legislation that eases the working class' pain once they are in power. My belief is that the Dems' biggest failure in 2016 was in the second part of that strategy, ie: communicating their empathy effectively. And by "communicating their empathy," I don't just mean, "Awww, poor baby." I mean, "Hey, I know that free trade agreements haven't worked out for you or your town at all. I've seen how it affects you, and listened to your story. Here is what I'm going to do about it."

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That's not the same thing!

So you do not support the establishment wing of the democratic party?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

You mean in the same way that Hillary corrected course on economics very quickly which Sanderistas reused to acknowledge, to the point of insisting she never supported $15 an hour or retraining for people in the rust belt?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

thechosenone posted:

Then the thing is, how do we get someone with political ideology similar to sanders, whom is a minority, since if Hillary had tried that with Bernie!Obama, she would have spontaneously combusted.

I think that might have been more of an issue with Hillary.:wink: It would also probably be an issue for Booker, but I don't think Booker will get the nomination in 2020.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Majorian posted:

I mean, this mostly comes down to issues of perception and messaging, Bernie was gonna have trouble with minority voters even if he didn't make the occasional unforced error because he was an ancient white dude from New England with no name recognition coming down to do a vanity presidential run he didn't think was going anywhere. Those are all still problems that can be fixed though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

You mean in the same way that Hillary corrected course on economics very quickly which Sanderistas reused to acknowledge, to the point of insisting she never supported $15 an hour or retraining for people in the rust belt?

I do think a lot of Sanderistas failed to give Clinton the benefit of the doubt on enough things, yes. And some of them did that because they ascribed an unrealistic degree of mendacity and cynicism to Clinton personally. Having a tit-for-tat argument on who was more unfair during the primaries, Clinton or Sanders, doesn't serve the left-of-center/anti-Trump cause, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

I didn't, I did go and take a shower tho.

Majorian posted:

I think that might have been more of an issue with Hillary.:wink: It would also probably be an issue for Booker, but I don't think Booker will get the nomination in 2020.

Thank god I live in Cali so I don't have to vote for Booker if it does happen, fuckkkk

• Locked thread