Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kiimo posted:

Godzilla is prehistoric?

I thought he was a radiation side effect.

I purposefully didn't look up anything before posting this, I did think it was due to all the atomic testing. Is that not accurate?

In the 2014 Godzilla movie, he was an ancient creature who was awakened by the radiation from the launch of the world's first nuclear submarine, the USS Nautilus (which was in 1954, the date of the original Godzilla movie, probably why they made that connection).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MariusLecter posted:

King Ghidorah is from space and the best monster and the true King of monsters, he has King right in the name!

King Ghidorah take me to your leader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRn9BRo4Igw

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
But where does this King Kong movie fit in the Highlander series

Electromax
May 6, 2007

When he spit electrics, don't be in ya'll saunas.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

kiimo posted:

Godzilla is prehistoric?

I purposefully didn't look up anything before posting this, I did think it was due to all the atomic testing. Is that not accurate?

Godzilla is basically an eldritch horror/Great Old One.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If I remember correctly from the movie from a few years back, Godzilla's species was the apex predator of the world when poo poo was more radioactive, and basically went underground when poo poo cooled off topside.

Mutos start squawking, Godzilla hears his prey items making noise, he wakes up to put em down.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kiimo posted:

Godzilla is prehistoric?

The 1950s atomic testing was just a cover story in the 2014 film, the real reason they were deploying nukes in the Pacific was that they were trying to kill Godzilla.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Chairman Capone posted:

In the 2014 Godzilla movie, he was an ancient creature who was awakened by the radiation from the launch of the world's first nuclear submarine, the USS Nautilus (which was in 1954, the date of the original Godzilla movie, probably why they made that connection).

I always thought that that was a really dumb origin tbh. Just tie it to Castle Bravo. Having it be the Nautilus makes no sense because 1) nuclear subs don't put out that much of a radiation signature relative to, you know, an H-Bomb; and 2) the Nautilus wasn't doing anything in 1954 besides sea trials just off the eastern seaboard.

I actually have a lot of complaints about how they constructed Godzilla in G'14, but I'll refrain from cluttering up the thread.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Wasn't the original Godzilla origin story that it was a mutated t-rex/stego hybrid, or something?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

In the 90s series they made it so there was a dinosaur (the Godzillasaurus) that lived on an island and liked to kill US troops to defend glorious Japan. Japan then left the island and the US later tested nukes on it and Godzillasaurus became Godzilla. But in that continuity there are two Godzillas (the original who is killed by the oxygen destroyer and the one who shows up in the 90s), as well as Godzilla Junior, plus creatures that utilized Godzilla's DNA like Biollante and Spacegodzilla. Also Steven Spielberg's Dad watched the Godzillasaurus kill US troops and saw a time traveling UFO.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also Steven Spielberg's Dad watched the Godzillasaurus kill US troops and saw a time traveling UFO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJSfVZgKDOw

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

In the 90s series they made it so there was a dinosaur (the Godzillasaurus) that lived on an island and liked to kill US troops to defend glorious Japan. Japan then left the island and the US later tested nukes on it and Godzillasaurus became Godzilla. But in that continuity there are two Godzillas (the original who is killed by the oxygen destroyer and the one who shows up in the 90s), as well as Godzilla Junior, plus creatures that utilized Godzilla's DNA like Biollante and Spacegodzilla. Also Steven Spielberg's Dad watched the Godzillasaurus kill US troops and saw a time traveling UFO.
Are you talking about the cartoon?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Heisei movie series, son!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

all of that stuff is why I super love Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, it feels like something an overcaffeinated 12 year old who rjust saw Terminator 2 would come up with if you asked him to write a Godzilla movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Wasn't the original Godzilla origin story that it was a mutated t-rex/stego hybrid, or something?

In the original film Yamane doesn't name any species but hypothesizes it was a sort of amphibious offshoot of the dinosaur (hence breathing underwater), living in some deep undersea cave until atomic testing destroyed its food supply and forced it to the surface.

There's obviously some mutation with the radioactivity and the fire breathing, though.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

The room can go to hell, this my favourite lovely scene in all cinema

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

hiddenmovement posted:

The room can go to hell, this my favourite lovely scene in all cinema

Godzilla movies are great for that. https://youtu.be/-1Y7ODRjzCM

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

got any sevens posted:

Godzilla movies are great for that. https://youtu.be/-1Y7ODRjzCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz0ED9BB-VA

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

This is still the best moment in Final Wars.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

K. Waste posted:

This is still the best moment in Final Wars.

Is John C Reilly aware there's a discount version of him out there?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Does this seem as effeminate in Japanese?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I loving love this movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Beachcomber posted:

Does this seem as effeminate in Japanese?

It's definitely queer-coded, intentionally or not. Despite sometimes flubbing their lines, the actors behave in an atypically 'liberated' way when compared to the films it's referencing - which is not Spielberg movies, but in a kind of hybrid homage-diss, the films that 'inspired' Spielberg, old post-war B-movies.

What's often misinterpreted as the film's 'anti-American' sentiment is really just a straightforward critique of postcolonial, globalist ideology. That Godzillasaurus always existed and was just a 'good guy' who helped fight off the evil American imperialists is an ideological fantasy on the part of the Japanese soldiers (particularly Shindo). The reality is that Godzillasaurus represents subaltern, indigenous life, just like the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. Godzilla comes back to life in the climax and kills Shindo indiscriminately.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

A lot of the "no skeletons in china" talk probably comes from seeing video game companies altering their own artwork/models for a release in China. From what I've heard that is not required tho, they basically alter things that might lead to objections by Chinese officials so that there won't be anything delaying the release of the game. They play it safe to be sure they don't miss out on a huge market.

I know Valve went as far to expand these changes to a "low violence" mode which also removes a lot of the blood.

I really resent the idea of making changes to games or art in the interest of getting past the censors of a lovely insane government. Like it would be one thing to shoot scenes only seen in the chinese market or game textures/changes only for those markets that call for them. It would be nice if Hollywood and everywhere else that sees dollar signs by catering to China if they would make some lame bolt on scenes for the chinese market that doesnt cheapen worsen the western release just to satisfy a government obsessed with control and face gain.

After the ccp gets their cut and the numbers come back completely cooked by the state owned theater chains i can't imagine theyre making all that much money, surely it can't be enough sales to justify making character models look loke dogshit and movies have bizarre and pandering scenes and characters. I hope everyone in the business of making entertainment begins to wise up to how lovely it is.

Thats my rant. I've seen too much media lately with overt out of place scenes that pander to the ccp that makes the movies objectively worse. The less pandering to the ccp the better is a good mantra for anything including games movies and foreign policy

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I agree and wish the Hays code hadn't existed too.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

got any sevens posted:

I agree and wish the Hays code hadn't existed too.

Movies cut content all the time, today, to get a rating.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

Movies cut content all the time, today, to get a rating.

It's especially funny the occasional time when they add some small thing to go up a rating.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

basic hitler posted:

I really resent the idea of making changes to games or art in the interest of getting past the censors of a lovely insane government. Like it would be one thing to shoot scenes only seen in the chinese market or game textures/changes only for those markets that call for them. It would be nice if Hollywood and everywhere else that sees dollar signs by catering to China if they would make some lame bolt on scenes for the chinese market that doesnt cheapen worsen the western release just to satisfy a government obsessed with control and face gain.

To be fair, Low Violence Mode also exists because of issues in Germany.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

got any sevens posted:

It's especially funny the occasional time when they add some small thing to go up a rating.

Also the tried and true method of putting in one egregious thing so that the censors will go after that and not the rest of the movie.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Peanut President posted:

To be fair, Low Violence Mode also exists because of issues in Germany.

I meant to bring that up and i forgot because i'm tired enough to rant about the dumb things hollywood does for access to Chinese theaters and media markets, which means i'm also tired enough to forget things like that.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The worst thing about China Pandaring is that it sticks out like a Wilhelm scream. Totally breaks immersion every time, and I wish I didn't know about either.

Which movie do you think gives China the longest, sloppiest blowjob?

The Martian at least had the China bits in the book.

The Marvel stuff sticks out a little bit, but it's not too bad.

I think that ID4-R is probably the most egregious I've seen.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

kiimo posted:

Godzilla is prehistoric?

That's the 98 movie, where the french did it. That movie had a Godzilla that acted like an animal, and it got big because of radiation from testing.

That was my first exposure to Godzilla also so I thought the same.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Beachcomber posted:

The worst thing about China Pandaring is that it sticks out like a Wilhelm scream. Totally breaks immersion every time, and I wish I didn't know about either.

Which movie do you think gives China the longest, sloppiest blowjob?

The Martian at least had the China bits in the book.

I think that ID4-R is probably the most egregious I've seen.

Transformers 4. The last half of the movie is basically just there to worship everything (government approved) China.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So it's OK for all those Michael Bay movies and whatnot to give sloppy blowjobs to the US government and military, but it's a travesty the moment it's another country instead?

lolling forever

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Micheal Bay makes shallow blockbusters for idiots but goddamn if The Rock isn't one of the greatest action films of our time.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

So it's OK for all those Michael Bay movies and whatnot to give sloppy blowjobs to the US government and military, but it's a travesty the moment it's another country instead?

lolling forever

Well, if you don't give blowjob to the us govt. it won't be shown in the usa!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The second movie literally had megatron ripping off the American flag from a tower as an affront, as if the concept of nations is a thing to a psychopathic alien robot race

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Yes?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Beachcomber posted:

Can you elaborate on Marvel China pandering? I never even noticed any. I know there's the extra cameo in Iron Man 3's Chinese release and the joke about that Chinese brand of milk instead of Wheaties or whatever but since it wouldn't even be possible to officially watch that version of the movie in the US who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Can you elaborate on Marvel China pandering? I never even noticed any. I know there's the extra cameo in Iron Man 3's Chinese release and the joke about that Chinese brand of milk instead of Wheaties or whatever but since it wouldn't even be possible to officially watch that version of the movie in the US who cares?

Some believe the casting of Tilda Swinton in Doctor Strange was because China will flat-out ban anything referencing Tibet, and both Stark and Cap use Vivo phones (a lovely low-end Chinese brand) in Civil War.

• Locked thread