Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

jammyozzy posted:

On the flip-side, only a handful of tools in our work CAD software are multithreaded and they're all the esoteric new ones that have been added in the last few years. Your basic everyday tools are still single-thread because they're the oldest and I imagine the codebase behind it all makes Excel look like a paragon of excellence.

It sure is great watching it peg my 8-core workstation at 12.5% processor use while doing anything. :sigh:

i sometimes wish my work laptop had more processors + ram if only because the horrible enterprise surveillance software is coded by incompetent fools that somehow need 5gb for a keylogger or something. Good news is it's single threaded so my dozen user applications can share the other 3 cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

news from the game developer conference

nvidia announced the new gtx 1080 ti. it's faster than a titan x and priced at $699

amd announced that their new vega based video cards will be called vega and gave away some tshirts

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

finally xfi for my pci

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
would love a vegas tshirt

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
mr mojo ryzen

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mr. Apollo posted:

news from the game developer conference

nvidia announced the new gtx 1080 ti. it's faster than a titan x and priced at $699

amd announced that their new vega based video cards will be called vega and gave away some tshirts

:rip: ATI.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

well now that AMD has become semi competitive in CPUs it's only fair for them to suffer five years of poo poo GPUs

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

blowfish posted:

well now that AMD has become semi competitive in CPUs it's only fair for them to suffer five years of poo poo GPUs

I imagine the GPUs won't be poo poo, they'll just be ever so much behind our nvidia overlords.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The 460/480 series provides pretty good bang for the buck currently but you're still pretty much better off with a 1060/1070, and Vega likely won't be competitive with the 1080/1080ti.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

unclear whether they need to compete with the 1080s though. vulkan is rather fixing one of amds main problems (software parity) for them atm, and it was never like they were too stupid to figure out how to stick shaders onto dies anyway. i sort of think amd may actually make it (i.e. struggle along almost making profits for another decade) at this rate if the zen roadmap works out

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

blowfish posted:

five more

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

jammyozzy posted:

On the flip-side, only a handful of tools in our work CAD software are multithreaded and they're all the esoteric new ones that have been added in the last few years. Your basic everyday tools are still single-thread because they're the oldest and I imagine the codebase behind it all makes Excel look like a paragon of excellence.

It sure is great watching it peg my 8-core workstation at 12.5% processor use while doing anything. :sigh:

Lol you can turn on threading through some obscure option flag but it will gently caress up layer composition I hate autodesk so much

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Breakfast All Day posted:

finally xfi for my pci

why are they overclocking the pcie bus what game has that as a bottleneck?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

why are they overclocking what game has that as a bottleneck?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Lol you can turn on threading through some obscure option flag but it will gently caress up layer composition I hate autodesk so much
we use a lot of autodesk poo poo at the university I work at but i have yet to hear of any workplace that actually uses it

like they're always Creo with Windchill, or NX with TeamCenter, and/or solidworks, and Mastercam

or CATIA or w/e

there a specific industry that actually uses autodesk products other than Maya??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my friend was complaining on fb about how his pc has, for as long as he's had it, randomly rebooted. he could never figure it out and it was never reproducible. people were offering suggestions which were all "did that. did that. tried that. nope, not that." the next he posts that he removed his overclock and it stopped doing it. the first response was basically 'you idiot'

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Fabricated posted:

we use a lot of autodesk poo poo at the university I work at but i have yet to hear of any workplace that actually uses it

like they're always Creo with Windchill, or NX with TeamCenter, and/or solidworks, and Mastercam

or CATIA or w/e

there a specific industry that actually uses autodesk products other than Maya??

yeah this little tiny thing called autocad

e: at least ppl i knew in civil were autocad and lovely simulation software written in the 90s that consumed autocad

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

why are they overclocking the pcie bus what game has that as a bottleneck?

bclk * multiplier = cpu frequency

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Fabricated posted:

or CATIA or w/e

architects use revit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ryzen: multi core don't mean poo poo or how amd fails to compete with two generation old intels yet again

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

infernal machines posted:

ryzen: multi core don't mean poo poo or how amd fails to compete with two generation old intels yet again
amd lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it'll get better, we promise!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Actually less bad than I anticipated really.

lol @ their $500 flagship being outperformed by the $350 Kaby Lake chip though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anand's take

so if you have a cpu bound multi-threaded workload, and for some reason didn't already have a xeon e5 to run it on, you could conceivably save money by buying a ryzen

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

or, as far as I can make out, need ECC memory

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yup. the core can support it, but all the consumer parts have that disabled.

so forget reliably using high memory densities

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The performance per $ really loving drops off a cliff past a certain point. Who buys those $1500+ CPUs?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fabricated posted:

The performance per $ really loving drops off a cliff past a certain point. Who buys those $1500+ CPUs?

if they're xeon, supercomputers

if they're core i, nerds with too much money

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

carry on then posted:

if they're xeon, supercomputers workstations, servers

if they're core i, nerds with too much money

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Fabricated posted:

people with jobs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

here's a hint, if you have any use case for that many cores, you can't use ryzen because of the lack of ecc support

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

a $350 intel will last like 10 years. a $1500 one will last like...10 years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

yeah, but only one give you the kind of e-peen you need to put your specs in your forums' sig

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

i thought this was an interesting amd chart

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

here's a hint, if you have any use case for that many cores, you can't use ryzen because of the lack of ecc support

unless your manager in purchasing or procurement is a massive twat, which is very likely

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you really want to know who's buying $1500 core branded cpus, it's middle aged men with no real hobbies who sometimes play video games on easy and like to think they have the latest and greatest of everything

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

if you really want to know who's buying $1500 core branded cpus, it's middle aged men with no real hobbies who sometimes play video games on easy and like to think they have the latest and greatest of everything

don't dox me, please

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

overwatch enthusiasts

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

it'll get better, we promise!

amd's sonic cycle begins anew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fabricated posted:

tiny cost in the broader picture for a lot of tasks

• Locked thread