Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Neo Rasa posted:

Star Trek Beyond got robbed IMO. I mean nominated for best makeup and hair? Besides looking amazing in general it had an alien with sick makeup whose hair was also prehensile finger tentacles, like what even came close to that in anything else.

People's hatred/divisiveness over Suicide Squad made it way more memorable than another Star Trek Film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

This is why Captain America has been so neutered he remains completely chaste.

Captain America, in the films, is a gay character.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

well why not posted:

He's not even allowed to be gay!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

well why not posted:

Nah, he's bi.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

UmOk posted:

Honest question: What is the beef with BvS? I understand it was panned by critics but i just don't see why.

it's bad, OP

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

It's good though???

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jonah Galtberg posted:

It's good though???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g609VcZ9psQ

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I saw Suicide Squad when it was in theaters, and while I think people who act like it's the worst movie since Troll 2 are overreacting, I also didn't really feel the need to ever see it again. The other day my girlfriend told me she wanted to see SS and was insistent, so I figured it was at least an opportunity to watch the extended edition that I otherwise had no inclination to see.

I don't know if the extended version changed a lot or it's just a response to months of everyone talking about it being the worst movie ever but I honestly didn't think it was as bad this time. Still not a movie I feel like seeing again, but up until the sputtering ending it was at least passable. I also think the added Harley/Joker scenes did contribute a lot to their relationship. I like Leto's Joker, him being just another gangster, and Harley originally being someone he was going to torment and discard before her turning the tables.

Killer Croc and Diablo are still the best by far.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Stephen Moyer to headline Fox's X-Men series. He was previously seen in True Blood either doing sex scenes with his wife, former X-Men Anna Paquin, or directing Anna Paquin's sex scenes with other actors.

Meanwhile:
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/836361383436431360

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chairman Capone posted:

I saw Suicide Squad when it was in theaters, and while I think people who act like it's the worst movie since Troll 2 are overreacting, I also didn't really feel the need to ever see it again. The other day my girlfriend told me she wanted to see SS and was insistent, so I figured it was at least an opportunity to watch the extended edition that I otherwise had no inclination to see.

I don't know if the extended version changed a lot or it's just a response to months of everyone talking about it being the worst movie ever but I honestly didn't think it was as bad this time. Still not a movie I feel like seeing again, but up until the sputtering ending it was at least passable. I also think the added Harley/Joker scenes did contribute a lot to their relationship. I like Leto's Joker, him being just another gangster, and Harley originally being someone he was going to torment and discard before her turning the tables.

I'm too lazy, but if someone could re-cut the movie to be basically the Harley and Joker related plus maybe 15 or twenty minutes of the rest of the movie I'd really appreciate it.

The Joker stuff was the best part of the movie. The Harley stuff was incidental to the Joker stuff.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Chairman Capone posted:

I haven't seen either version of SS, but the Extended cut of BvS while still bad, was not nearly as bad as people were making the theatrical out to be

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, people love to poo poo on BvS, but I've seen the 'Extended' version one-and-a-half times and enjoyed it a lot. Definitely the sort of movie that works better once you've read some background stuff on it, which honestly is a bit of a deal breaker - having to do homework to fully enjoy what should be a self-contained experience is a bit silly. It's still not a great film, but it's interesting and very good-looking.

SS was garbage. Saw it with a group of people and we didn't even discuss the movie afterwards. It was just completely forgotten about as soon as the credits rolled. Could've been cool, waste of potential.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I watched Adventures of Tintin, and it might be the best comic book movie I've ever seen. It's a truly amazing feat of motion and vision. It captures the comics' modest yet sophisticated spirit of adventure, within its own unique and exciting visual language.

It's a travesty that no one is making a superhero movie with the same techniques. The style and tone would be absolutely perfect for Silver Age adaptations.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 28, 2017

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I watched Adventures of Tintin, and it might be the best comic book movie I've ever seen. It's a truly amazing feat of motion and vision. It captures the comics' modest yet sophisticated spirit of adventure, within its own unique and exciting visual language.

It's a travesty that no one is making a superhero movie with the same techniques. The style and tone would be absolutely perfect for Silver Age adaptations.

I thought that the Tintin movie was decent but the segment near the middle where they're zooming around the city on some extended madcap chase (I haven't seen it since it came out so it's a bit fuzzy) stuck out as being way more Spielberg and Jackson than anything you'd see in the Tintin comics.

It's a shame that the other two movies never got made but after the Hobbit trilogy I'm not really sure I want to see Jackson helming another literary adaptation.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That's like the best part of the movie, though.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

The Cameo posted:

That's like the best part of the movie, though.

That and Haddock telling the story of his ancestor with all the cool transitions.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
They should have kept Clark being a reporter and the communion scene in the original cut.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Detective Dog Dick posted:

That and Haddock telling the story of his ancestor with all the cool transitions.

The transitions in that movie were nuts. "We're gonna zoom in on their handshake and HOLY poo poo IT'S MOUNTAINS NOW"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Speaking of Tintin I hope Joe Cornish actually gets to do something other than linger in Snow Crash development hell

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The bunk scene in Tintin is amazing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

Speaking of Tintin I hope Joe Cornish actually gets to do something other than linger in Snow Crash development hell

A few months ago, wasn't there some rumor that he and John Boyega were going to be reunited for some new project?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Chairman Capone posted:

Heck yes.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Yeah that long take in adventures of tin tin is DOPE AS HECK and a fantastic use of the medium

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Black bolt will be played by Hell On Wheel's Anson Mount and Maximus The Mad by Game of Thrones' Iwan Rheon.

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/819891-marvels-inhumans-series-casts-anson-mount-as-black-bolt

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New GOTG2 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duGqrYw4usE

That's another Vin Diesel movie about "family".

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 1, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The MSJ posted:

New GOTG2 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duGqrYw4usE

That's another Vin Diesel movie about "family".

The settings and backdrops in this trailer are gorgeous, I think this is going to be a very pretty movie.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I just hope this one has people that do things for reasons instead of whatever happened in the first.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

DC Murderverse posted:

The settings and backdrops in this trailer are gorgeous, I think this is going to be a very pretty movie.

The CG was pretty in the first one too and it still was one ugly-rear end movie. They should probably just drop the live actors and animate the whole thing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ElNarez posted:

I just hope this one has people that do things for reasons instead of whatever happened in the first.

I'm mostly happy with the first and really looking forward to this one, just hoping that Gamora gets to be an actual character this time instead of a glorified damsel in distress.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Oh hey cool of them to schedule the sequel just in time for people to start turning on the first one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Stephen Moyer to headline Fox's X-Men series. He was previously seen in True Blood either doing sex scenes with his wife, former X-Men Anna Paquin, or directing Anna Paquin's sex scenes with other actors.

Meanwhile:
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/836361383436431360

Here's the weird thing about DC: There's at least two different black skeleton characters who wears a suit in the DCU. Which makes it hard to say who that is.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Alhazred posted:

Here's the weird thing about DC: There's at least two different black skeleton characters who wears a suit in the DCU. Which makes it hard to say who that is.

It's pretty obviously Black Mask. I have no idea who the other guy is, so I'm going to presume he's more obscure.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SpiritOfLenin posted:

It's pretty obviously Black Mask. I have no idea who the other guy is, so I'm going to presume he's more obscure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Bones

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

SpiritOfLenin posted:

There were two Black Mask.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well,that panel in particular is from Under the Red Hood. That arguably is one of the two most famous stories s that uses the classic Black Mask, Roman Sionis.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He wields the power of infinity.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

There's Lord Death Man as well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The one in that picture is definitely Black Mask, but Mr. Bones is the one who showed up all the time in the old Suicide Squad comics, so I'm a little confused too.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The one in that picture is definitely Black Mask, but Mr. Bones is the one who showed up all the time in the old Suicide Squad comics, so I'm a little confused too.

Ayer's next movie is gonna be Gotham City Sirens though, not the next Suicide Squad, so it makes more sense for it to be Black Mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Ayer's next movie is gonna be Gotham City Sirens though, not the next Suicide Squad, so it makes more sense for it to be Black Mask.

oh I didn't know that.

• Locked thread