Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Yes! Bring back the real Race of Champions at Brands Hatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Jamsque posted:

Yes! Bring back the real Race of Champions at Brands Hatch.

If they bring it back it's going to be some horseshit city track in the middle east somewhere.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Schlesische posted:

If they bring it back it's going to be some horseshit city track in the middle east somewhere.

Not now Bernie is gone :D I would imagine it would be held at brands hatch or Imola, that way if the format they are testing turns out to be rubbish then the fans wont mind so much.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

wicka posted:

I know I sound like a broken record but I want to know what the hell they're doing with that floor. Nobody else is hiding anything that obvious.

The McLaren could be a very good car as it does look clean but not simple and its definitely hiding some dodgy things. Its the same as last season, they may have had the best car on the track its just it was attached to a really poo poo engine.

The problem is they have a engine manufacturer who doesn't seem to know how to build engines, so they are hosed - unless Honda mysteriously turn this around in a few weeks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mclaren makes supercar engines, honda makes lawnmowers. why even involve honda.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Powershift posted:

Mclaren makes supercar engines, honda makes lawnmowers. why even involve honda.

It's a logistics and resources game.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Decent interview with Brawn discussing his role
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz6FB-buuRQ

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 1, 2017

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Honda fund the team

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
http://www.autosport.com/live/commentary/id/2509377/formula-1-testing-2017-barcelona-f1-test-day-three

I don't know why they are doing it but MCLRN just sent Alonso out when there is a red flag out.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
he was hoping to bianchi his way out the team

EDIT: this is the best ive seen the mccclarn look
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C50cj-AWgAEWrQb.jpg

Dubs fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 1, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lol FIA have been inspecting suspension systems and one team has been told to change it already, it's not red bull because they haven't been inspected yet.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

Dubs posted:

EDIT: this is the best ive seen the mccclarn look
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C50cj-AWgAEWrQb.jpg

I was wondering when McLaren changed over to Renault, I hadn't realised things were going that bad!

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Season is already over

Bottas has set a time of 1:19.705 on ultrasofts. Given Merc were probably still sandbagging a bit, and its Bottas driving it, then its game over already.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
With things looking closer in the midfield I'm optimistic for some good racing in the middle of the pack there.

Shame about McLaren.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Just for comparison last years best testing time was - 1:22.810, which was done by Vettel as Merc usually heavily sandbag testing.

Merc, Ferrari, Redbull, Williams, Sauber and Renault have all set times faster than that today - most of them over a second faster.

The cars this year are shockingly quick and probably the fastest F1 cars ever once they stop sandbagging.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

Not now Bernie is gone :D I would imagine it would be held at brands hatch or Imola, that way if the format they are testing turns out to be rubbish then the fans wont mind so much.

You will never get a modern F1 race at brands ever.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/RenaultSportF1/status/836902592680701952

Nice use of Windows 98. Bottas is still more than a second off Massa's ultimate fastest though - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_de_Barcelona-Catalunya#Absolute_fastest_lap

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

track day bro! posted:

You will never get a modern F1 race at brands ever.

Not a championship race no, but there is leeway for non-chapionship, it's just that Bernie was always a little tit about it. There is also the option of testing a new format with old cars which opens up even more tracks they are allowed to run at.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

ukle posted:

Just for comparison last years best testing time was - 1:22.810, which was done by Vettel as Merc usually heavily sandbag testing.

Merc, Ferrari, Redbull, Williams, Sauber and Renault have all set times faster than that today - most of them over a second faster.

The cars this year are shockingly quick and probably the fastest F1 cars ever once they stop sandbagging.

Unfortunately, we won't get to see that because drivers will all be coasting through corners and turning down revs to save fuel for 60% of the race.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

CratSock posted:

Unfortunately, we won't get to see that because drivers will all be coasting through corners and turning down revs to save fuel for 60% of the race.

Fuel saving has been a non-issue since the second season of the V6 formula, have they tweaked fuel flow and consumption regs this year to bring it back into play?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

Not a championship race no, but there is leeway for non-chapionship, it's just that Bernie was always a little tit about it. There is also the option of testing a new format with old cars which opens up even more tracks they are allowed to run at.

1) It's a FIA grade 2 circuit
2) The pits are loving tiny, you would never get all the modern F1 crap in even using the peripheral areas
3) There is nowhere near enough runoff for F1 standards
4) You couldn't extend runoff in some areas due to it being next to peoples houses very near the GP part of the course
5) The GP section is only limited to a few days in the year due to its location and noise restrictions
6) I doubt Johnathan Palmer/MSV want to wank off ££££ just for a non-championship race which would include significant remodeling of the track.
7) It would grind a large part of the M25/Kent/outer London to a standstill

The BTCC final last year had me queuing on the slip road on the M25 pretty much all the way into the circuit for an hour and a half. This is about a 10 minute drive if you go there for a track day (bro) so I'd bet F1 there would be even worse.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Thats it. They need to drop the fuel flow restriction and turn up the boost if this is the case. There is no reason we shouldnt have 1300 horsepower f1 cars.

This. There's literally NO reason these cars shouldn't be at 1300hp in race trim. Who are we kidding with the fuel flow restriction in F1? Nothing about this series is "green"

VelociBacon posted:

It's a logistics and resources game.

Partnership synergy optimization, I believe you mean.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The fuel flow restrictions are dumb because you'd still be producing "green"-adjacent technology so long as refueling isn't allowed. There is a finite amount of fuel in the cars and teams will always want to generate as much power as possible from that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I quite like the fuel flow limit, 90% of the interesting poo poo on these engines have come from that. It's an interesting engineering problem that is genuinely relevant to cars.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It brings an aspect of the sport of I have no care about at all. Fuel mixtures and teams getting better performance based on the fuel they use.

It's silly.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Stroll appears to be in way over his head with these cars.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

That's because he isn't The Chosen One.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

He's not #blessed

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

I love it.

Maybe F1 will be motivated to stop putting children in seats.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Norns posted:

I love it.

Maybe F1 will be motivated to stop putting children in seats.

His daddy's money would buy him a seat regardless of his age

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Maldonado 2.0

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

His daddy's money would buy him a seat regardless of his age

Yeah but another year or four in junior series really wouldn't have hurt.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
He went for a long Stroll through a short gravel trap.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Lance Droll.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Hot take: Lance Stroll isn't very good

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I thought his dad spent a bajillion dollars buying an ex Williams car for F1 seat time? Tsk tsk.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

McLaren Honda split being weighed up?

http://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-considering-honda-split-report/

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Nonsense.

As I said yesterday, that company's biggest loving asset is the Honda contract. Why would you tear that up unless Honda was giving you a gently caress load of cash to do so?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Theophany posted:

Maldonado 2.0

So he's going to win a race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak