Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Has Dickeye watched the movies yet

Dickeye watch the movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I haven't seen the new trailer, but Prometheus seemed pretty far removed from the original Alien.

Not particularly, I'd say Prometheus is to Alien what The Force Awakens is to A New Hope

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Not particularly, I'd say Prometheus is to Alien what The Force Awakens is to A New Hope

Hahaha.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I haven't seen the new trailer, but Prometheus seemed pretty far removed from the original Alien.

Yes and most of the fanbase would not shut up about how awful they thought it was, which I think was part of the point being made.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean it's probably more accurate than my old analogy, which was that Prometheus is to Alien as Carnosaur is to Jurassic Park

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Prometheus is a remake of Alien in very broad strokes and Scott filled in the margins with stuff that a lot of people hated. Covenant looks like another redux with more Alien-y aliens.

It's just kind of a bummer coming off his best movie since…Gladiator I guess

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

Has Dickeye watched the movies yet

Dickeye watch the movies

Dickeye watch Repo Man and Return of the Living Dead.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
How are you guys not hype for the Danny McBride fights weirdo aliens movie?

Did you see the pygmy aliens?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

K. Waste posted:

These all look like really well-shot and formalized effects to me. What's breaking your 'immersion,' other than your consciousness that there is CGI, and that you're watching a trailer?

It's this one. I think the trait that's breaking my immersion is the artificial motion of the creature.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's this one. I think the trait that's breaking my immersion is the artificial motion of the creature.

It's that the creature is humanlike.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Mecha Gojira posted:

How are you guys not hype for the Danny McBride fights weirdo aliens movie?

Did you see the pygmy aliens?

I don't wanna watch Danny McBride fight Aliens I wanna watch Fred Simmons fight Aliens

Or Kenny Powers. I guess.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
YTOTD is Death Row Game Show

https://youtu.be/mNHUiZpCulI

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Udo Kier randomly shows up in the "Let Me Blow Ya Mind" video by Eve and Gwen Stefani from 2001 as a dancing white dude at a party for no discernible reason.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

YTOTD is Death Row Game Show

https://youtu.be/mNHUiZpCulI

Here's your YouTube of the day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo6eIriOgSg

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Eat my balls

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

Udo Kier randomly shows up in the "Let Me Blow Ya Mind" video by Eve and Gwen Stefani from 2001 as a dancing white dude at a party for no discernible reason.

I'm gonna assume he just actually goes to parties like that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Going by his brief time in the trailer, it looks like McBride will be dialed back.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Going by his brief time in the trailer, it looks like McBride will be dialed back.

The fools.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Eat my balls

Not my fault you haven't watched an essential horror movie.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hard pass

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Return of the Living Dead is the only reason that Green Room isn't the best punk rock non-documentary movie of all time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I didn't know Oscar Isaac was in it and I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes Jeremy Renner so I'll probably check it out. The new Universal Soldiers movies are a high bar.

Oscar Isaac is only in the opening scene, which he obviously steals, and made me wish he was the lead.

Jeremy Renner is in full Hawkeye mode, so if that floats your boat, go for it. He's not being fun character-actor Jeremy Renner.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
30 Minutes or Less is a kinda ghoulish concept for a movie but it has some top tier Danny McBride
"I'm loving this bitch, you're just holding the camera"
"I taught myself how to eat pussy and cut my own hair"
"Sometimes fate pulls out its big ol cock and slaps you right in face."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Jeremy Renner is in full Hawkeye mode, so if that floats your boat, go for it. He's not being fun character-actor Jeremy Renner.

I honestly don't dislike him in anything. The role that made me sit up and take notice of him was 28 Weeks Later which is basically in that same mode.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I honestly don't dislike him in anything. The role that made me sit up and take notice of him was 28 Weeks Later which is basically in that same mode.

It is not nearly as good a movie as 28 Weeks Later, but, yeah, you probably should see it then. It's definitely not godawful.

Now, K. Waste having not seen the Universal Soldier movies yet is bananas.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

He's quite good as a serious actor!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He doesn't have a ton of range, but you can tell he's really giving it his all even with the junkiest parts, like Hawkeye. Renner's actually been my favorite part of the last few Mission: Impossible movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

He doesn't have a ton of range, but you can tell he's really giving it his all even with the junkiest parts, like Hawkeye. Renner's actually been my favorite part of the last few Mission: Impossible movies.

He was fun in Arrival too. His awed reaction when they first go into the spaceship is one of my favorite parts.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Now, K. Waste having not seen the Universal Soldier movies yet is bananas.

Those are some of the only movies I think everyone here can agree on, they're just really drat good

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Like Kodi says, it's a Jeremy Renner star-gently caress all the way through, which is enhanced by the fact that, while Gilroy's direction isn't nearly on the level of Liman or Greengrass, he actually doesn't try to cop their swagger very much at all (aside from the occasional homage). There's a lot more stable, non-handheld photography in this one which gives the film a much more straightforward feel. The first half of it takes place contemporaneous to the climax of The Bourne Ultimatum, so the atmosphere is less about a 'new guy' doing the same poo poo and more just chronicling the total meltdown of the intelligence community.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Return of the Living Dead is the only reason that Green Room isn't the best punk rock non-documentary movie of all time.

Return of the Living Dead, Repo Man, and Green Room are the holy trifecta of fictional punk films, and Return of the Living Dead, Re-Animator, and Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn are the holy trifecta of horror-comedies. That Dickeye hasn't seen Return is a travesty.

Coffee And Pie posted:

30 Minutes or Less is a kinda ghoulish concept for a movie but it has some top tier Danny McBride
"I'm loving this bitch, you're just holding the camera"
"I taught myself how to eat pussy and cut my own hair"
"Sometimes fate pulls out its big ol cock and slaps you right in face."

He's one of the best characters in Tropic Thunder. "MOTHER NATURE JUST PISSED HER PANTSUIT!"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Return of the Living Dead, Re-Animator, and Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn are the holy trifecta of horror-comedies. That Dickeye hasn't seen Return is a travesty.

Needs to expand to a quadfecta to make room for Dead Alive

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

Needs to expand to a quadfecta to make room for Dead Alive

Personally I would make it a pentfecta (??) and include Hausu as well, but the horror thread made it a trinity, and I can't push back against what the horror thread says.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Personally I would make it a pentfecta (??) and include Hausu as well, but the horror thread made it a trinity, and I can't push back against what the horror thread says.

You can probably dock Dead Alive for all the spear-chucking native stuff Peter Jackson seems to like a lot

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

You can probably dock Dead Alive for all the spear-chucking native stuff Peter Jackson seems to like a lot

Nah, that stuff is great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Putting one of the cats to sleep tomorrow. :smith:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Nah, that stuff is great.

It's kind of hard for me to defend, especially since it gets revisited in King Kong (and depending on how far you want to go with that, Lord of the Rings). You just like it as throwback pulp adventure pseudo-commentary or what?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timby posted:

drat dude, sorry. I've been very closely following X-Ray's cat health story on twitter in between trying to schedule vet appointments for my cat, I want all cats to be healthy and happy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Those are some of the only movies I think everyone here can agree on, they're just really drat good

They are so loving good. I might re watch them this week thanks to this conversation

Timby posted:

:( Sorry to hear that Timby.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

They are so loving good. I might re watch them this week thanks to this conversation

I still think it's wild that Day of Reckoning is basically a hardcore action remake of The Parallax View. That and The Raid 2 got shockingly artsy with the DTV-style action formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Oh, dope, I got Denial and Hacksaw Ridge from Netflix.

• Locked thread